Friday 17 July 2009

I started something I couldn't finish

As Morrissey would say, 'Typical me, typical me . . .'
Except it wasn't really typical. Not of me. But I guess that 'typical me' of the song is tinged with self-loathing. In which case, I hear you Mr. Moz.

I am one of those boring folks who get sorted into the 'completer-finisher' category of all those little psychological tests they give you at work. The donkeys of the human race. We are not particularly creative, inspiring, original or exciting. But, in our defence, the rest of the human race would be pretty screwed without us. We are the plodders who will get the job done, take a project through to the bitter end. When everyone else has given it up as a lost cause, there we'll be. Braying.

I have completed many things that I actually hated doing. Mathematics A-level. Most of my university courses. Dodgy relationships that weren't allowed to die until I had given everything I had to try and keep them stumbling forward. Jobs that I've hated but just couldn't give up on. Check-out operator. Receptionist. Analyst. Driving lessons. Friendships that would have been better off left to fade away but I know that I will grimly maintain them until I'm a doddering little old lady. I don't know why I insist on sticking at things I hate. Who am I trying to impress? Perhaps it is because I had a strong sense of duty drummed into me from an early age.

I don't think I will be a completer finisher in the future. I failed to complete and finish the most important job I ever had. The one really important thing I had to do and I messed it up good. I was so certain that I was going to be able to do it. I'm not a delicate, petite little woman, I thought that this was one occasion my more amazonian stature would stand me in good stead. I could carry two babies, I could nuture two babies. I honestly thought that I could, I felt so strong. On the basis of precisely nothing.



I've been thinking about what Mirne said, to 'write down all your memories, then even if they somehow fade in your memory, you'll have it all written down.' It was good advice. I remember how much I loved reading about Kees in his eulogy, there were so many beautiful details of his life and of his character, remembered by his parents. I only wish that I had been reading about Kees on a different type of blog.

I thought that I would start with that bit that I couldn't finish. Typical me.

Pregnancy.

My husband and I got married in July 2007. We have known one another since we were 18, we met at college. I went to university, he worked crazy hours. That is what our 20s were all about. We had a house (well whatever % we actually own versus the % owned by the bank), jobs (not quite careers but jobs), a garden, cars, plants, goldfish, savings. We thought we were pretty much set. Little did we know.

Once we had decided to ttc, I fell pregnant pretty much immediately. I felt so very lucky, as though it was a sign of good fortune. Humph. I felt quite ill through most of my early pregnancy but I was so very excited. Nausea and anticipation bubbled together in my stomach. Expectant. In every sense. Something that I had been looking forward to so very much, finally becoming flesh. I became a woman possessed, obsessed. I loved this feeling of being doubled, two humans in one. I was convinced that I was carrying a boy and I sang to him and told him stories and chatted to him in the car on the way to work. I dreamt of my blue eyed, brown haired baby boy. My mother's intuition is obviously completely rubbish.

Then I went to my 12 week scan and my world was turned upside down. If I'd only known how many times my world would get turned upside down over the course of 2008, I might not have been so shaken up the first time it happened.

Two babies. Two hearts flickering. Two sets of limbs flailing. Twins.

And because I am feeling nostalgic and I've had a glass of wine. More care free times. Here we are. My dearest is cutting our wedding cake. I'm so happy in this photograph. I'm glad I didn't know what was waiting for me round the corner.
I would get my heart's desire. A child. But it would not be easy. In just over a years time I would have a child. In just over a years time I would lose a child.
My dear, dear daughter would be lost to me. My first child.
My dear, dear daughter would be resting in my arms. My darling girl.
My Ouma used to say to me "be careful of the thing you want, you'll get it."









8 comments:

  1. Oh Catherine I am so sorry you are feeling this way. You did all you could for you sweet girls. You felt so sure about mothering two babies because you so wanted and loved them. If that was all that determined the success of our pregnancies, than you would have both your babies here with you. Unfortunately there are other physiological factors that come into play, things that are out of our control. I hope you find some peace.
    xx,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that feeling you mean, one of nagging failure. I often feel like I screwed up even though I tried so hard to do everything right. On my good days, I manage to ignore it and try and remember that I did the best I could. I know you did the same, Catherine. You are a loving and wonderful mother to both your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine, you are absolutely stunning in that photo. I guess the only thing that I can say to your post (because I can relate so well to much of what you say), is that it's not your fault. Shit happens for no reason at all. Life is absolutely not fair and really goes against everything we were taught as children. The meek won't inherit the earth, the greedy will steal it first. Crack whores can spit out children while solid, good, married couples struggle for years to conceive. Babies die. I've struggled for so long to find a reason why this happens and the only thing I can come up with is that there is no reason. It just happens. It sucks and I hate it but it's better than feeling like God has stolen something from me to punish me for something I've done, or that I'm a failure as a mother/incubator. I'm so sorry Georgina is not with Jessica and you and your husband. I'm sorry for me too, and all the other babylost mothers out there who loved their children and wanted them and in some cases tried for years to get them only to have them die. Life isn't fair, it doesn't play by the rules, it doesn't discriminate, it doles out pain randomly to whoever happens to be there in that moment. And we just have to live in the aftermath of it all. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I say what a stunningly beautiful bride you are? I read this with great interest. Like you I plough on when really I should just let things end or let them go.
    I wanted to say this. All those things you ploughed through, the jobs, the friendships (and I so know what you mean about those!) not the maths though!
    But the difference was you had a choice with those. From what I've read, with what happened with your pregnancy, you had no choices, they were taken from you.
    And that's unbelievably unfair. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are gorgeous.

    I hate those psychometric tests. My work brings me into contact all the time with bloody Myers Briggs and the like. The thing is Catherine, your tenacity and commitment aren't dull or plodding and you aren;t limited to those qualities - you are also extremely creative, inspired and inspiring. I'm so grateful for your wonderful writing here as well as all of the incredible comments you've left on my blog, and I can see that loads of other babylost mamas feel the same way. That wonderful loyalty and perseverance - the completer-finisher in you - has meant a lot to me. I wish I had more of your qualities.

    As for your beautiful girls, your beautiful Jessica and Georgina... well I can only echo Monique and say that you are an amazing mother to both of them.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always dreamed of b/g twins when I dreamed of children. Never in a million years did I imagine carrying one set and losing them so early, and then carrying another child and losing him, and then carrying yet another b/g twin set... I think I'm glad that I couldnt see that future... I dont know that I would have believed that we would have survived... All I know is that now, I cant let go of the pain if it means letting go of the memories... of the love... of the fact that they lived in me, with me, with us...

    Sending you hugs as your remember and cling to your memmories, even though they hurt...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is left to say? You're a beautiful wife and mum, to both your girls. And you always will be.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. you look so very lovely in that photo. i started looking though all of my old pictures after Leila died. me as a little girl, a teenager, a young woman.... i had no clue what the future had in store for me. and thank goodness i didn't.
    after Leila died i felt like such a failure. i was responsible for the most important thing in the world, her life, and somehow, i failed.
    when i asked my midwife,"what did i do wrong, why did she die, how did i fail her?" -i absolutely needed to know, because how else could i prevent it next time if i don't know what i did wrong? she wrote this back:
    "Often having a healthy baby is as easy as falling off a log. But something beyond your control happened. Forgive yourself for not being omnipotent and omniscient. Those are where you failed. Not in any of the rest of it."

    ReplyDelete