Saturday 5 September 2009

Regret

When Jessica & Georgina were born so prematurely and particularly after Georgina died, I was utterly, utterly convinced it was because I had done something wrong. Perhaps because I do have a tendency to think that the world spins around me. As my younger sister said to me during an argument, 'the trouble with you Catherine is that you are like this. Hello, my name is Catherine and it is all about me, me, me, me, me.' She was right, I am like that. Because the alternative puts everything scarily out of my control. Out of my reach.

I went through all the things that I had done 'wrong' during my pregnancy, perhaps my diet hadn't been healthy enough, perhaps it was the caffeinated coca cola that I had drunk on my work lunch out when I had forgotten that I wasn't supposed to have it, perhaps my baths were too hot, perhaps I hadn't done enough exercise, perhaps I had carried on working long hours for too long, perhaps the drive to work everyday was too stressful, perhaps one of my beauty products was toxic, perhaps I was toxic?

And that was where my chain of thought finally ended. Where it ends for so many people.

It was because I was toxic. I had killed her. I remember crying on my mother's sofa, balled up into myself and sobbing that it was because my insides were rotten.
I remembering being curled up on the floor in the NICU quiet room and asking the doctors to let Jessica die, to let me die, that we were cursed and that it was all my fault. That it would be kinder to kill all of us together. Poor old doctors. They must see some sights in that room. I did apologise for this particular outburst when I had 'come round' from those first few crazy weeks.

But I was so sure it was me. My own toxicity.
Because I was an awful person who would be an awful mother.
Because I didn't love them enough.
Because I loved them too much.
Because I was so smug and proud. I was proud to fall pregnant so quickly, I was proud to be expecting twins. Even though neither of these things are anything that I can take any credit or blame for. Just the dumb workings of flesh and biology. I certainly can't seem to orchestrate a repeat performance.
I never considered the possible pangs my pregnancy might have given my SIL or my friend, who both went through the hell of IVF to conceive their twins.

I don't think that I will ever stop blaming myself for Georgina's death. Not entirely. Perhaps because what killed her remains unresolved? In the first instance, obviously extreme prematurity and pulmonary insufficiency. But what caused her to be born so ill when Jessica was so healthy (relatively) and what caused her to become so ill that she triggered my labour? How did she manage to survive for three and a bit days? Why didn't she die when everyone said she would and have so many amazing recoveries only to die in the end just the same? I don't know and I can't seem to find out. I will always wonder if I could have done something or avoided doing something. I will always regret.

But . .
meeting other parents in the NICU.
Reading the blogs of other parents whose hearts are broken by losing a child, having a premature baby, having a child who is ill.

My heart broke for all those other parents, more than I can ever say. Suddenly I realised that, as far as my admittedly very limited brain can see, there is no reason. No toxicity, no curses. There might well be biological reasons, medical reasons. Sometimes even those are obscured. There is no clear explanation for so many things in this life including why the lives of some people should end before they have even begun. I don't think it is a question of blame, that there is any intention behind it.

Through a mirror darkly, that is all we can hope to see. I'm not so sure about the face to face part. Perhaps clarity will never come, either sooner or later. Perhaps that part is actually irrelevant, perhaps the focus should be on the darkness. I can't conceive of any possible explanation that would satisfy me.

I have felt sad until my sadness is just an ache. Until I can't always summon those tears that used to flow so readily.

I have felt angry until my anger is just an ache. There was, and is, really nothing and nobody to be angry at. It is all in vain.

Sometimes all that I can summon up is regret. Regret for the children who would have been so loved. Regret for the parents that might have been if they had parented living children or if all their children had lived or if they didn't have to parent after losing a child. I'm sure that changes you irrevocably. Crushing regret.

I know that those parents who are frequent NICU visitors, who are bloggers, are a self-selecting group to some extent. But I know that their faces, their words are full of love. I sit here and read and I ache and I regret. Regret the lives that these children should have or could have or would have lived. I know that, if these children had a choice, they would be here. I feel certain. I would pick any of you here as parents if I was given a choice. Do you want this person / these people as your parent(s)? Yes please. I'll certainly take them. Whizz me on down there.

I can't help but think about that Dr Seuss cartoon 'The hoober bloob highway' where Mr Hoober Bloob gives the little baby in a pram the choice, does he really want to see what goes on down there? On Earth. They would have come down here, I'm sure. They would have said 'yes Mr Hoober Bloob give me a push, I want to get down there.' If it was as simple as a children's book. To meet the parents who would have loved them. The families who would have loved them. Sure they would have been told off from time to time, there would have been arguments and smelly nappies and tantrums but also cuddles and stories and toys and all those things about life, the good things, that we wish to share with our children.

Sometimes there is only one thing I come away with from reading blogs about the death of a child. Although some (including my husband and my family) think they are just depressing and upsetting and that I shouldn't read them let alone write one. But the 'take home message' (to use a truly awful turn of phrase from work) from all of these blogs is . . love.

These places, they are full of love. Sometimes sadness, anger, wailing, howling, bitterness, hate and jealousy. But always, always, always love. Because this is one of the few places where it is acceptable to express your love for a dead child. Where their names are spoken. Their images shown.

They are written for children who were dearly, dearly loved. Cherished. Remembered. Loved. Loved. Loved.

'Some moments last forever but some flare out with love, love, love.'

20 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous post. I certainly like to believe these blogs, these stories and all this pain and love is doing me more good than harm.
    Reading here, I always know that is the case, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the Mountain Goats. You know, I can tell you a thousand times that you did nothing, that you were a good mother to both of your girls, that the world is a random chaotic shitstorm that you got caught in the eye of, but sometimes I think guilt is just part of this grief. Because no matter how well I am doing somedays, other days I wake up utterly convinced I could have done something differently too, something that would have saved her. But I think you are right, this is all about love, and broken hearts, but broken hearts full of love. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes; I agree with you completely. Love is there, and you know, I think that a lot of the time there is hope there too. And in a sense it is depressing, I guess, to relive some of the hell we've eached live through by reading about the experiences of others...but for me it's not about avoiding what I went through and "focusing on the positives" - it's about going back to that incredibly dark and sad time and finding the hope that *is* there in it. It's finding the beauty in it, and sometimes I think we find that more clearly through the words of others than through our own.

    Hang in there sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is love. Endless love.

    I had a blog up and a nurse saw it and said, "Honey, dont you think you should read happy things?" And I said, "What is happier than a parent honoring a child they love so much?" I've even had people say that we shouldnt have pictures of the kids around or their box with us, but what else, really, should I have? It isnt depressing to me, it's the way I can have them and love them in this world. I think most people without a frame of reference cant get that.

    I blame myself too and I think you are right: I think we always will. But at some point, we just have to let the love be the primary thing. Maybe one day, it will be the only thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written, as always, Catherine. I too wonder what happened, what went wrong, why did I go into labor. Was there something wrong with my body or was there something wrong with my girls? I wish I knew...or maybe I don't. But maybe if I had known early enough what was wrong we could have saved them. But it is all too late now. I wish I could go back in time. Much love to you Catherine. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Catherine...yes, just yes. I also feel a lot of guilt about my baby's death (stillbirth due to placental problems), and right now I also feel guilty for speaking harshly to my living son today. But I love how you turn this from a post about regrets to one about love. You have me unable to stop crying, but they are good tears.

    (Also, happy belated birthday to both your beautiful daughters. I found you from Glow in the Woods and have been reading for a little while but I've never commented before.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family thinks I am crazy too ..lost in this blog wotrld where all I do is shed tears. But youare all my therapists and I'd truely rather be here with all lost baby moms than at the best party in town. You understand me. You talk about what is real and heartfelt. I connect with you all. I really do not have much to say tothe rest of the world any more and what I do say in the non-blog world is not really important.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post, beautiful song.

    It's funny that you say you are a 'me me me me' person. I think you come across as one of the most generous and giving people I have ever met.

    These places ARE about love. The community we have here is built on it. It's good to remember that. Thank you, my lovely friend, for reminding me of that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm grateful that this post was here for me to read today, my EDD. I also know that guilt. Mother's guilt, there's probably nothing like it. But you are right, it IS all about love. And I hope all our babies know just how much they are loved, and wanted, and missed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somehow I don't think the feelings of guilt will ever quite leave. Its so reassuring to know we're not alone in this community.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ((Hugs)). Love your post. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me too Catherine, as always. Hurting so much today and needing to know that I'm not insane, that others feel, think, do the same things I am. My husband hates it too, the blogging and the reading, he finds it morbid. I find it comforting knowing that I am not alone in this insanity. Thanks for the beautiful thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so well written. *Tears and lots of tears today* My daughter, Jenna Belle passed away and we never really found out why either. That kills me. There is loads of guilt that haunts me just about everyday but it only winds up in a vicious cycle.

    I am so sorry for your loss. I started wondering why on earth I enjoy blogging so much and you summed it up... "this is one of the few places where it is acceptable to express your love for a dead child." Thank you for pouring your heart out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love to you Catherine, just love.xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Catherine, this is just how I feel. These places are full of love. An intense, pure love that sits nestled up against pain, and suffering, and devastation. And that way, almost a truer picture of how love works, of what our world is. These places look both the love and suffering in the eye together and do not blink or look away. That is how I feel when I think of my Angel Mae. To me, that is the real world we live in... so much love... Thank you for writing this. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Catherine-you are such an eloquent, beautiful writer. I can see exactly the story you are telling. And perhaps it's because I have lived some of it, but really-thank you so much for keeping this blog even though people think it is sad. But you are so right, it's all about love.
    I blame myself a lot. I hate my stupid body. I hate not knowing what made my body decide to do what it did. But when I read other stories, I want to scream, "Oh, Catherine, NO! It was not your fault! It was nothing you did!" and then I realize that I can't tell others not to blame themselves but not let myself off the hook.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blog rings true for me and I appreciated reading it so much today. I've done lots of wondering and blaming myself when searching for reasons for the premature labour that caused my son to be born at 24 weeks. Even the beauty product thing...
    And love! It is so good to be connected to a community who lives each day with the love and longing of loss, even with all the other emotions the experience brings. I think that I am stronger from reading stories like yours.
    Thank you!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  18. xo

    Happy birthday sweet girls. I am so sorry that you are not here with your mommy..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you. This is such a powerful, beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. "I have felt angry until my anger is just an ache. There was, and is, really nothing and nobody to be angry at. It is all in vain."
    deep down i know this is true, but i am still angry, so very angry. at everything. and i hate it. what is wrong with my body that i cannot deliver a healthy living child? nobody knows, there were no answers. but at least here i can release that anger, and still receive love, because yes, all our blogs are filled with love, undescribable heights of love for our babies.
    XO
    christy

    ReplyDelete