Monday 5 October 2009

Viability

This post is probably going to be a bit of jumble so if you were looking for any eloquence or even words that make sense on the topic of viability, nothing to see here peeps. Keep right on going to the next blog in your list. Move along now.

Viability. A word that at once makes my heart leap and my blood run cold.

I've been having a recurring dream for about the past three or four months. At this point, I should probably mention that my dreams are not particularly opaque as a general rule. I suspect this is because my subconscious knows that I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. Thus any meaning that lurks in my dreams is usually declared loud and clear, possibly for fear that any attempt at cloaked hidden meanings or fancy schmancy symbolism will be met with blank incomprehension. For this dreamer, it is better to keep it simple and to the point or I'm just not going to get it.

In my dream, I am handed a large tray of babies. All different sizes and stages of development. Some breathing, some not. In the dream, it is vastly important that I sort these babies into order by gestational age. If I can do it correctly, the babies that are currently still moving will have some chance of medical treatment. It is an immensely frightening dream, there is a sense of menace to it. I feel like I will never succeed at my task but I am desperate to get it right, to give these smaller babies the same chances that my girls had. The dream never reaches a conclusion, I just sort and re-sort these babies endlessly, never satisfied with the order and frightened to submit them incorrectly.

I am also haunted by a memory of myself, when I was about 23 weeks pregnant. I was leaning up against the kitchen counter, my husband was cooking and I casually remarked to him that if the babies were born the following week they would have a chance of survival. I think I have written before about wanting to travel back in time, find my previous self and stab her in the eye with a sharp pencil. This scene is one of the inspirations for my time-travelling-orbit-pencil-jabbing doppelganger.

This so called 'viability day', this magical 24 weeks gestation. Just as much as of a poisonous myth as the 'just get to 12 weeks and you're safe' one.

I'm not talking about people who read here referring to viability day. Sadly, I don't think I need to tell you. All those mamas who count down to 24 weeks in possession of the facts, the chances of survival, the possibility of complications and in the full and (sadly) nonreturnable knowledge that babies do actually die.

I'm talking about people like my old self. I bandied the term viability about without having any appreciation whatsoever of what the hell I was saying.

Viability is a crucial point because it means you are in with a shot, your baby has a chance at life. I know how lucky I am to have reached that point with my last pregnancy. Please don't think that I would ever be less than get down on my knees and thanking the stars/God/Hecuba/whoever/whatever grateful. I am. I really am.

But I can't stand the way it is chucked around so freely. If any of these people who write for pregnancy websites had ever met a newborn 23-24 weeker in person, in the flesh, I would defy them to be so glib. It is not an easy sight, particularly when it is your own child. The medical procedures necessary to keep such a premature baby alive are extreme, they are not pleasant to watch or even to contemplate. There are procedures, fairly routine procedures, that the medical staff will not allow parents to be present for. And believe me, you would rather be undergoing them yourself than watching your tiny child struggling through them. I don't know how you go about intubating a baby weighing less than two pounds, I don't ever want to know if I am honest. Let alone performing the insertion of IV lines into such tiny limbs, let alone major surgeries. They are truly 'heroic measures' and, on very premature babies, they are conducted in the dark, with no guarantee of any outcome. Just a chance.

For that chance, I put one of my daughters through a great deal of pain and trauma. She could have lived for probably less than an hour with no interventions but she survived for three and a bit days with medical interventions galore.

I basically bought her hours of pain with my silence, I didn't stop her being subjected to extreme and painful procedures. Her lungs filled up with blood, her organs shut down, her brain bled. My outside bet did not pay off. She died. Even if she had lived, the doctors told us it was likely she would have been severely impaired. I remember my husband telling the doctors that we didn't care, we just wanted her. But did we really? Could we have coped? Would I have grown that carapace that I suspect would have been necessary? To fight and fight and fight for a child that only I might ever have seen the beauty of, who was never going to have a straightforward or simple life.

That is not to suggest her life would have been of less intrinsic value if she had survived than the life of a child born at term. Or of a child with no disabilities. Not at all. She was my girl and I would have stuck it out and I would have been grateful for any life that she had, whatever form it took. But it would not have been an easy one. Extreme prematurity can result in horrendous complications, complications that don't go away. I often wonder if it would have been better for her to have let her die when she was born. If I had truly loved her and not selfishly wanted her to live. But there was that chance, that small percentage that proved too irresistible to me.

For that chance, I put my other daughter through a great deal of pain and trauma. My outside bet appears to have paid off so far. It looks like I am the extremely fortunate recipient of the 100% miracle. I've heard parents of preemies that survive with severe impairments refer to 'half miracles', I don't consider Jessica one of those. No matter what lies ahead of us from here on out. But there are scars.

It is very hard to admit to this after the fact but I did ask the doctors to let Jessica die at one point. I simply couldn't fathom that the outcome could be different for my twins. I felt as though, when Georgina died, I was simply marking time until Jessica passed away as well. She had a brain hemorrhage at about three weeks old (I think, my memory of that time is a little fuzzy) and she then developed an infection and sepsis. Every day she looked sicker and in more and more distress, it seemed increasingly unlikely that she would ever be able to breathe without a ventilator. She was taking so many drugs, at such frequency, that standard NICU paperwork couldn't cope and her nurse had them all written out on a paper hand towel. The atmosphere around her incubator underwent a subtle shift, the people working on her seemed to know something that I didn't.

And again, I'm trapped in that loop. That loop that keeps me up at night after I've been woken up by my dreams of desperately sorting babies.

How could I do that? Just stand there and let it all happen.
How could I say that? Not that my pleadings made any differences at all to the medical staff but in my mind. Start. Stop. Keep going. Any means necessary. Let her be. Just let her be. Stop all of this insanity.
What sort of person am I?
What kind of mother?

Oh Georgina.

Why did I let them start? Why didn't I ask for your painful life to end sooner? If there hadn't been that cruel outside chance. I had to take it. I'm so sorry.

How could I let them stop? Why didn't I plead for another day, another hour? Perhaps you would have pulled through again if I hadn't been so quick to concede defeat. You already had. So many times when I'd been told you wouldn't.

And Jessica. I'm just so sorry my darling. I'm so, so sorry.

I didn't know. I didn't understand. I tried my best.

But it's hubris to think I had any influence on what happened. I didn't. Not really. The doctors made their decision on the basis of what was right for their patients. And their patients weren't me.
I just had to stand there and watch.
And I think I am still struggling to come to terms with that.

28 comments:

  1. Catherine, dear Catherine. How I wish I could just come and sit with you for a while. I too threw the term "viability" around when preg with Hope. We had a minor little "issue" at 25 weeks where we went in to hospital and I was all like "it'll be right, baby is viable now if I end up delivering". Clearly, I had no idea what I was talking about.
    Do you know with this new baby of mine, I thought of you so much as I hit that 23-24 week mark. I just couldn't imagine as I sailed through that point of pregnancy, you had already had your two babies.
    Even now, at 32 weeks, I worry about the prospect of premature delivery when I know you'd have given your left (and right) arm to get your girls to 32 weeks. Through your blog and beautifully articulate words, you have helped me to learn so much about aspects of pregnancy I really didn't know much about. Comes from having spent the bulk of my first pregnancy with my head firmly buried in the sand. Like most of us seem to do.
    As always, I'm just so sorry both your girls are not here, Catherine. So very sorry.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have anything useful or helpful to say Catherine. Your dream is horrifying. What you endured is horrifying. And for all of that, I'm so sorry. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Know that you are thought of with love and sent strength as you make this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Catherine,

    BIg massive hug to you and loads of support and strength. You are one warrior mother and I bow to your honesty and strength. We do what we do and we have to live with it.

    The loss of innocence it the mark you carry. There are no truths and there are no solutions. Somehow we slip and fall on this slope/way that's called life. And one day we will catch our breath maybe and can walk with a bit more peace and calm, stronger and humble at the same time. For we know one thing, that we don't know! I'm still trying to look for an answer and it's a bit like looking for our lost children, we can see them and then we can't.

    Lot's of love and peace to you

    xx Ines

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a fan of the myth of viability or danger periods in pregnancy, mainly because my daughter died at 38 weeks for no known reason. Catherine, I know that you rationally know this, but sometimes it helps to hear it again. You were a good mother to Georgina. You did everything you could to ease her suffering, and to give her a chance in this world. I wish we didn't wrestle with guilt, and I know I certainly wrestle hourly with it. Just sending you a ton of love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honey, you did all that you could. You did the best that you could with the info you had. You tried your damnedest to save your babies- no one can fault you for that and you can fault yourself. If it were your husband whom they docs had been trying to save, you would have said 'do whatever you can' too. We all would...

    Jess and Georgina are both miracles, each in their own way. They always will be. One miracle here on earth and another waiting to greet you again...

    (On an aside, I too wish that people would realize 24w is only a starting point... That it doesnt give you anything except a bigger sliver of hope. A 24w old baby just entered our NICU. It is so hard to watch the parents as the docs are struggling to do all they can. The baby had emergency surgery yesterday. My heart just goes out to them...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh honey. I understand this post only too well. I'm nodding away, having had so many similar thoughts. :(

    24 weeks wasn't much consolation to me this time. I saw 24 weekers in Nicu. Ones only newly delivered and the ones that were significantly older but severely brain-damaged or with lung disease. I did not want that for Jasper.

    Big hugs. I so get this post. I truly, truly do.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Catherine - be gentle, be gentle..these thoughts must be so painful.

    wishing you love and peace..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Catherine. That outside chance is impossible to ignore when you want it so damned much.

    My situation was so different, and sometimes I'm certain we made the best decisions that we could. But there are other times when I'm haunted by the fear that I put my son through unnecessary pain because I couldn't let go right away, or by the fear that I may have let go to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Catherine, this is one of the most thought-provoking pieces of writing I have ever read. I read it this morning and I've been mulling it over ever since. I don't know what to say. What you have experienced... it is so hard, so unthinkably hard.

    Love as always, and a million thoughts. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for your honesty.

    You know, we all write about these innocent, naive mothers with their heads in the sand - sometimes referring to our former selves - and while I want so much to educate such people, I'm also insanely jealous of them. I'm jealous that they don't have to know that 12 weeks doesn't mean home free. Or that viability doesn't mean survival. I wish we never had to learn this stuff.

    But you, my friend - you did the absolute best you could. I *get* what you're saying, I really do. But I honestly can't imagine any other mother in your shoes doing anything different. When the doctors tell you there's a chance! - how do you let that go?! You don't. You fight. You fight for your daughters. You are, and were, a wonderful mother to both your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Catherine, what a gut-wrenching dream. It captures the helplessness of being a spectator with only some limited ability or influence on the situation you lived through. My heart aches for you, thinking of you watching and waiting for the miracle for both your girls. I'm so sorry you don't have both your twins. I cannot express how I feel now when I see women smiling and chatting about being past 24 weeks or 35 weeks or posting it on Facebook. George was full-term and healthy - no reason he should be dead, but he is. I want to scream and yell and warn them against their folly - but then they'd just think I'm crazier than I'm already feeling. And if I could borrow your time-machine and pencil myself in the eye... I get that. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  13. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Catherine,
    what a horrid dream.
    That word makes my skin crawl. What false hope it can provide. I like the phrase you use- "poisonous myth"....so true.
    I remember thinking that even after the last ultrasound at 23 wks when we found out our boys had passed, I remember deliriously thinking that somehow they miraculously start breathing again, that as I was labouring with them that somehow the midwives would announce they were alive.
    Although pre-losing M & J...I thought the same- we wanted to desperately get to the viable 30 wks stage...hahaha- not that that would have been a guarantee either.

    I'm sorry you had to witness Georgina and jessica experience so much pain.
    I thought the same as your husband- I didn't care what they might have had, had they survived....that I just wanted them. But gee- did I?? What kind of a life might they have had? I guess I'll never know. I am glad they were spared a life of suffering that's for sure.

    sorry for hijacking your blog dearest.
    Loving you xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Catherine, thank you for writing this. I've been focused so much on viability these days, but in my mind, it's always meant that the neonatologists would actually try to save him, as opposed to doing nothing at all. Not that he would be guaranteed a "straightforward or simple life" as you eloquently wrote.

    I think, too, of the pain that Cayden knew and wonder often if we should've have let him go sooner. Though we were searching for answers and needed him to remain alive for some of the tests, I still feel incredible guilt that his life was full of so much pain. I hope I did the best I knew to do at the time. It's beyond clear to me that that's what you did for your girls, both of them.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember all my milestones with Akul and I passed each one with flying colors. I remember thinking that my pregnancy was really breeze inspite of the fact that I am an older mom. I thought Akul and I had passed all the tests and then I failed the most important one...and my child died 3 days after he was born at 36 weeks and 6 days of gestational age.My OB told me he was fine after he was born and the next day I was told that I have to let my baby go. I shudder to think how hard it must have been for you because it was hell for me. Hugsssssssss.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh catherine.. i dont even know if i should say this... but im gonna try given the chance it might make you be less hard on yourself. being a pediatric nurse, i have seen many babies in the NICU.. i know they feel pain, and i guess we cant know this for sure, but i dont think they remember the pain very long. we say this to our parents on my floor too.. i work with infants and toddlers and we always tell the parents "you are going to remember the pain a lot longer than the child is."

    but i wonder what kind of mother i am too. i lost katie's twin around 3 weeks. and then i lost katie at 39 weeks. that is just unthinkable. but i wonder what kind of mother i am when i say i wish they had just both miscarried at 3 weeks. my poor little katie, how could i even say that?! but the end result is the same, and i wouldnt have so much hurt right now. but maybe i wouldnt have loved this much either. i love more deeply now that i've known her. i love my husband more deeply because beth + john = katie. i wouldnt have seen her face or held her or spent 39 weeks fawning over her and getting to know her to the limited extent you can in the womb. i dont know which would have been better or worse... i really dont.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Catherine, like Sally, I just want to hop on a plane and come sit with you. I've been thinking about this so much lately too, and wondering if I did the right thing.

    From somewhere around 20 weeks until she died at almost 28 weeks, Sierra didn't grow. My placental function was that bad. We had weekly ultrasounds starting at 22 weeks and estimates of her size were consistantly around 12 ounces. At 24 weeks, my doctor started offering to deliver her, but 24 weeks really meant nothing because she was still the size of a 20 weeker. We consulted a neonatologist and agonized over what to do, but ultimately we let her die in my belly because we (especially my husband) thought it was just too risky to deliver her. The odds were so much against her, but I still wonder if we should have given her the chance to beat them. I keep thinking of sweetsalty Kate's line about hearing voices asking if she loved him not enough or too much.

    I also think I would have made a different decision - the same one you made - if I'd gone into labor and she had been born alive. It's just such an impossible position to be in, and coming to terms with it now is so hard, too. We hear so much about end of life issues and patients' rights to die, but I'd never thought about the fact that there are so many of the same issues when babies are born too early. But I know this - you are a wonderful, loving mother to both your girls, and I think we both did the best we could with the information we had at the time.

    Okay...a huge, rambling post when all I'm really trying to say is I get it, I feel such a connection to you although we've never met face to face, and I'm sending you a huge e-hug.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If she had been born alive AND had been just that tiny bit bigger, the size of your girls, then yes, for what it's worth, I certainly think I would have made the decision you did.

    And no matter what I or anyone else would have done...you did the best for your daughters that you could, and that's all any of us can do, right?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Catherine,

    What an emotionally exhausting dream - and what an amazingly wise post.

    I have not had the same experience as you but I do know that, when Emma was born, nobody was expecting her to be dead. We had heard her very strong heartbeat 7 minutes before so when she was born not breathing, EVERYONE assumed she just needed a little help to get going again - and they took her to the resus. unit which was just behind my head ... and the methods they used to try and get her back with us became steadily more interventionist. I couldn't see any of it - my husband could and he still, a year later, can not bear to talk about it. It is for him the most traumatizing thing he has ever experienced. There was a point when I knew that even if they got her back with us, she was not going to be the person we were expecting to bring home and I said so. When they brought her back to us with those words "I'm so sorry", mixed in with disbelief and horror and the beginnings of grief, there was a was a tiny sliver of relief that we were spared from making some very difficult decisions that we might have been asked to make for her in other circumstances.

    You did have to make decisions for your girls and the love, the adoration, the fierce protectiveness of your mother love shines from all your writing here. I can only add what others have already said - be gentle on yourself because you are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such important writing. Brave and true.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That dream is just haunting. I too grimace at those kinds of terms just thrown about as if we have some sort of say in how things turn out, as a result of things we've heard or seen. Life is so, so very precious, isn't it? Your girls are so loved. They have a mommy who is so strong for them. I am so sorry this is something to consume your thoughts. It's just not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  23. "How could I do that? Just stand there and let it all happen. How could I say that? Not that my pleadings made any differences at all to the medical staff but in my mind. Start. Stop. Keep going. Any means necessary. Let her be. Just let her be. Stop all of this insanity.
    What sort of person am I?
    What kind of mother?"

    Yes. A thousand times yes.

    My son and daughter died after being born between 23-24 weeks. We let them go. We did nothing but hold them and love them and watch them slip quietly away. In our case, we didn't really know we had any other options. Maybe it was better that way...

    It's been six years. I'm not so haunted now by all of the questions and wondering. But sometimes...

    Anyway, I wish the whole community of professionals and bloggers and activists who argue and debate generic terms like "viability" and "heroic measures" and "ethics" could read your piece. Maybe they would finally see there are no easy answers, or right answers, or even choices. There is just love and parents trying to cope in the midst of tragedy.

    Anyway- I came via your comment at Glow In the Woods. I don't frequent this blog community much anymore. But occasionally I still visit, allow myself to "go there", and your comment in particular struck a chord with me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your heart.

    I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious Georgina. I pray that Jessica continues to grow strong and healthy. And I wish you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, Catherine. What a terrible, terrible dream. How haunting.
    I HATE the word viable. I can remember reading on baby center the people in my birth month club people exclaiming, "Just a few more weeks til our babies are viable!" I had no idea what they were talking about.
    My water broke at 21 wks 3 days, when they were, in fact NOT viable. So began the fight to make it to 23 weeks. The magic number.
    When I hit 23 weeks, I thought-I can do this! But viability, what does that even mean?
    I'm so sorry. I am so right there with you, thinking of you, wishing I was close so we could talk in person about this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Catherine, this post really shows how torn you are between having your sweet Jessica here with you and your beautiful Georgina in Heaven. I am so sorry they are not here together in your arms. You are a wonderful mother to both of your girls and you did the best you could given the circumstances. Thinking of you and both of your girls. xx

    p.s. You are not fooling any of us: "if you were looking for any eloquence or even words that make sense on the topic of viability, nothing to see here peeps." and "my subconscious knows that I am not the sharpest tool in the shed."
    We all not that you are brilliant and the most eloquent writer there is :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I second the PS part of Tina's post :)

    Viability. That word was thrown around alot during my pregnancy. I was actually told that my drs would not make an attempt to extend the life of my baby(ies) if they were born before 24 wks, as "the fetus would not be viable". Kind of pisses me off now that I've actually read about babies surviving at 23 weeks. Sigh. A high-risk specialist told me 25% of babies born at 24 wks survuve, and that 75% of those babies have major birth defects like deafness or blindness, CP, etc. But once they make it to 28 wks, the number goes up to 90% survival rate and 25% chance of related problems. I remember these numbers so clearly. I remember counting down-or up? Unfortunately, I only made it to 19 and 22 weeks. I don't even know if Ashlyn took a breath, as I was out of it for the end of my c-sect. I asked my husband, but he said he didn't look at her, or hold her, or listen, because he was worried about losing me. I don't believe him. I'm thinking he got to hold her before me, maybe she was alive, and maybe cut the cord, and doesn't want me to know for some reason. I know she was alive when I went into surgery. I haven't asked the drs yet, I know she was in distress, but that's all I know, besides the fact that she was perfect, and beautiful, and whenever I look at newborn pictures of my son, I see her face.

    I can relate to the nightmares. I've always had them, but they're now always about babies or my son. Yours is terrible, and recurring, that must be awful. At least mine are new material every night. I cry in my sleep often, DH wakes me up sometimes, asking if I'm OK. Grief, guilt, pain. Those are the right ingredients for the subconscious to party. I'm so sorry you are secind-guessing yourself. You shouldn't. You made the decisions as best you could, they way only their mother could. You love them with every cell of your being, and they know it. You are the best mother they could have. You are their mother.

    I think it's human nature to want to go back in time, to change outcomes, to make it right. If only we could. And if we could, would it matter? Would the outcomes change? Would they change for the better? I feel like this whole comment is now a huge run-on garbled incohesive sentence. Thinking of you, and your girls, and mine. And all the questions that may never be answered.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Catherine, this post is truly haunting. It brings so many of my deepest scars to the surface. Those choices we made to extend Jenna's life for that chance... they haunt me everyday because of the pain I can only imagine she went through. I too, sometimes wish I had just let her be, but then again there too I wonder all the what ifs. It's so hard. Viability is such a myth. You are so right. Seeing a 23-24 week old baby alive and out of the womb is not easy. It is heartwrenching. So heartwrenching. You have described my feelings in exact detail when you described your inward battle on the choice to fight for your babies' lives and for that chance.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  28. my midwife tried to console me when i was beating myself up for not knowing til it was too late that there was something wrong. she told me that it was best that Leila died in my belly instead of the nicu. but i know without a doubt that if i'd known something was wrong i'd have taken every possible measure JUST FOR THAT CHANCE. it still drives me crazy. but it doesn't matter how we came to this point, every road leading here sucks.

    ReplyDelete