Saturday 12 December 2009

Rest

My parents had two phrases that they used (and still use to this day) when they were particularly exasperated with me.

My dad, "Give it a rest girl."
My mum, "Have you no rest for your soul?"

In terms of frequency of use, these phrases probably reached their zenith in my teenage years and were used in relation to dyeing my hair different colours, spending excessively long in the bath, playing my music too loud and being on the 'phone every single minute I was in the house. I was young in those ancient times before everyone had a mobile 'phone, A world which seems slightly unbelievable now. When I, aged 17, wanted to speak to the boyfriend who would eventually become my husband, I had to 'phone his home and ask his mum if I could speak to him. How bizarre.

I suppose I have never been an especially calm or restful person. I am certainly not now.

I am finding myself increasingly juddering back and forth, between a kind of fierce elation and abject despair. Pausing for spells of stupid numbness characterised by my slack jawed mumbling of 'what? what just happened? This? This all happened to me? To my family? To my children? Really?'

Looking back at this blog of mine, this seems to be a recurring theme. Even the post titles give me away, oscillate wildly, teeter totter.

Georgina and Jessica were due on the 19th of December. They were going to be Christmas babies. I'm sure I would never have made it that far, I know that twin pregnancies don't usually make it the full forty week stretch. But, because of this due date, many of my day-dreams of the girls involved Christmas. Two babies dressed in their first Christmas outfits. Two little stockings of presents.

My mum bought two beautiful little sets of red dungarees with 'my first christmas' embroidery. One has been put away indefinitely in the loft, it was far too big for Jessica to wear on her first Christmas and is far too small to be worn this year. I suppose I'm keeping it in the hope that a third child may wear it one day. Ever the optimist.

The second outfit was never worn. It is in Georgina's box. With other outfits I bought her before she was born. All so ridiculously, heartbreakingly big. Far too big for my tiny, delicate little baby. Bought with the stupid naivety of a woman who been told her baby was measuring at the 91st centile and was expecting a big girl. But sadly, so sadly, my 'big' girl will always be tiny. So tiny that it almost defies belief that I have as many ashes of her as I do.

As I try to reintegrate myself into the life I had before, I find myself feeling increasingly awkward, clumsy, stupid. My tongue seems to have thickened and furred. I find myself apologising to colleagues, to friends. "Gosh, it's been so long. Over a year. I don't know why I'm still so upset by it." And then I hate myself and my lack of grace, my inability to tell the truth of the matter. As if I would be over it in a year. Or ten years. Or ever. My inability to tell them how much it hurts. How much it hurts to see your child die. How much I loved her.
And they look away from my teary eyes. Or start apologising for upsetting me.
The unexpected "how many children do you have?" from the new girl at the Christmas lunch. The looks of agonised pity thrown my way from those who saw my 'rabbit in the headlights' face. The tearing I felt in my stomach as I replied "just the one, Jessica is my first."

I am distracted in meetings by vivid memories of details, Georgina's tiny jaw, her sparse little tufts of hair, the way her hands were so full of fluid that they looked painful, the cold water we washed her in. Details that I didn't even know that I remembered.

I find myself standing in the shopping centre, feeling as though I have simply stopped. As though time has stopped. Struggling for breath. The shoppers around me either mutate into uncaring, unthinking automatons who all have perfect lives, whose presence highlights my own inadequacy, my own freakishness. Or they all turn into walking tragedies. I look around and see dead children, accidents, fatal diseases. I wonder how we can all continue walking past Tesco. How we can all queue up at the ATM. Without the world just bursting apart.

Jessica very nearly came home on Christmas Eve last year. But this plan was cancelled on the day due to a lack of staff. So this will be her first Christmas at home. I am excited, nervous, happy, terrified and sad all at once. I feel as though I am already building myself up into a frenzy. It is hard to describe but I had a similar feeling when Jessica first came home. As though everything sped up, as though I was speeding up. I wanted to make everything absolutely perfect for this little girl who had been through so much. I needed to make sure that all her clothes and muslins were perfectly clean and ironed, that she never cried, that she fell asleep in my arms every night, that she had every toy and outfit that she could possibly need, that the freezer was fully stocked with purees. And I was just racing along and I could do it all and I could make it all perfect. Faster and faster and faster. Until, until I couldn't.

I can't make life perfect. I can't bring back her twin sister. I can never 'unthread that bead' from the necklace that Jessica's life will become. It doesn't matter how many Christmas presents she has under the tree. Even if she gets enough for two. How many books I read to her. How many songs I sing to her. I need to try and have a little rest for my soul.

Sometimes I wish that I could be entitled to a day, one day, just to sit and cry.
To cry and cry and cry for my Georgina.
To attempt to make sense of this.
But I suspect that it would take more than a day. Sometimes I feel that I will never make sense of this. Even if I had one hundred years to sit and think about it.

Sometimes I'm very glad that I've never had that day, that I wouldn't know what to do with that day of mourning if it was granted to me.
I think, deep down I still don't fully accept that Georgina has died. Because I've never had to face that fact. Because I've always had another baby, for many months a very unwell baby, to concern myself with. I still feel as though I am expecting twins, just that one of them hasn't arrived yet.

And I feel so clumsy. I feel I should be apologising even here for my failure to progress, my inability to make any meaning or sense out of the loss of my daughter, my endless repetition of the same old things. The loss of my daughter. My failure to have another baby. Same old, same old.

I'm sorry. I wish I had something new to say. Something helpful or clever or enlightening. Something that might offer comfort.

I still miss her.
I still wish she had lived.
I still wish I could have spared her pain.
I still wish I could have stopped her birth from happening, so many months before she would have been prepared for it.
I still love her.
Nothing has really changed my sweet girl.
I get a little better or a little worse at hiding how much it hurts. That's all.
I find greater or lesser degrees of rest for my soul.
That's all.

I love this song. It was written for one of my favourite singers, Nick Drake, when he was suffering with depression by a friend of his, John Martyn.  I love the image of solidified air. Sometimes, in my frozen moments in shopping centres or other inappropriate places to chose to suddenly stop, that is how it feels. As though the air has solidified.

You've been taking your time
And you've been living on solid air
You've been walking the line
And you've been living on solid air
Don't know what's going wrong inside
And I can tell you that it's hard to hide when you're living on
Solid air.


23 comments:

  1. I find myself repeating myself too. Sometimes the repetition just means I really need to say something over and over to soften its edges, to find its meaning for me, to try and let of some piece. And sometimes in that repetition, I see patterns that may or may not be helpful. I've been looking for quiet lately, stillness, perhaps, as you say, peace for my soul. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I long for that peace. I hope find it or that it finds you, however it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still here listening, my lovely friend. I read this and I just thought 'well, of course'. Of course you feel the way you do, and I feel the way I do. Of course we all rage, rage against the dying of the light (and yes, I know that poem is about old age, but I can't help but feel that at least their rage is literally short lived, whereas ours is lifelong because it's on behalf of our children... ugh, perhaps I'll regret writing that some day)

    Solid air. Yes, that resonates. Exactly that. Moving through a frozen moment. I get that.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how it feels, thinking you just haven't had the baby yet. I get stuck in that too. I mean, obviously it's difficult to explain why I feel so much pain if in fact my baby just hasn't arrived. But it's an easier scenario than reality.

    How I wish there was an easy way to answer that most ridiculous of questions. An answer that would both make ourselves proud that we honored our children and that doesn't create awkwardness.

    Catherine, it's the same theme.
    You love Georgina. You love Jessica. But there are so many different ways to express that and we rarely are granted the opportunity to do so in real life. So keep writing. Keep expressing your love. Your pain.

    Peace, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to leave a comment, in spite of not exactly knowing what to say.

    Maybe one thing - it is hard enough as it is, you should not feel guilty about "that you should have progressed" or what others might think if you "still" feel like it. There is no way for others to understand it, if they have not lived through such a loss or a similar grief in their life. I send my best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'what? what just happened? This? This all happened to me? To my family? To my children? Really?'


    that.


    and that feeling that im still "expecting" a baby. i get that too. where is she? for that matter, where is her twin, the one i lost at 3-4 weeks? the one i didnt concern myself with, because instead of being sad, i wanted to be happy for the healthy baby that was still growing. hmm. ive been pregnant for 60 weeks. im an elephant. in more ways than one. big, clumsy, pregnant for a very long time, and someone no one wants to concern themselves with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm here, and I'm listening, and you don't ever need to apologise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had something new to say too. I expected to, having had Jasper and all. I expected a revelation or something. But inside, it's still the same. I think it will always be one step forward, two steps back... two steps forward, one step back. The problem is that no matter how we word it, how much we think we've made meaning or sense of it all...the reality is that there is no sense. It sucks. It's wrong that our babies aren't here. Wrong that there siblings grow up without them.

    I try and make sense of it, but even I, with all my talk of dragonflies, feel the emptiness of of it all. I wish we both had our little girls with us. Our Christmas girls.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate so much to this post. I understand going from the purple haired teenager to going ,what has happened!
    I left this post up overnight until I could find a more eloquent answer to you, but no, just this jumbled mess. I don't have twins, but I have an older child. One living, one gone. Some aspects are similar I suppose.
    I care so much for you and I hope you feel a bit lighter today for having written this out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Catherine, I don't know if we will ever make sense of all this because it is just so senseless and unfair that our babies are not here with us. I wish your sweet Georgina was there in your arms right along with her beautiful sister. Thinking of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Cath, you did nothing to apologize for. You did everything. Every freaking thing. I know that doesnt quell the guilt or make you feel it is so. I know that...

    Happy First Christmas at home to Jess. That is such a wonderful milestone.

    We bought clothes for Nick and Sophie, and for Alex. It amazes me how big they are. I just put Bobby in his first "handmedown" and it was still big. But we had bought it for Nick and Sophie... How big it would be on their tiny little bodies... I cant even imagine it... But, looking at him, I had a glimpse of my sons, how they would have looked in it... I know when I dress Maya in a handmedown when she is bigger, I will see Sophia in her too...

    Sending you a big hug from across the miles...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Solid Air - What a perfect description.

    And I hope you know that you don't need to ever apologise for your feelings. I read and agreed. I think all of us, even when the circumstances of our losses are different, recognise that it will always be this way - a mixed bag of peace and turmoil, love and sadness, healing and rawness. It is what it is.

    With much love. I hope that Jessica's first Christmas at home is peaceful and special.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a scattered existence nowadays. The search for quiet, peace, and rest seems ever-eluding. Though the glimpses of those moments can make us hopeful.

    I recently read a posting by a woman who lost her baby 30 years ago. She still grieves and Christmas is still difficult. Comforting in a way that we are not alone, also feelings of despair that after 30 years the pain will be there. I doubt that it will ever go away, it has become part of the story of our lives.

    Hope that you can find some peace this Christmas at home, even if it is brief, savor those moments.

    PS I changed the setting on blog for comments. It seems to be locking out people from the UK?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This made me cry. You put into words so perfectly how we are feeling. There is no need to apologise at all, it makes absolute sense, every word. Be strong, you have come so far on this horrific journey.

    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. A truly touching post, Catherine.

    I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be to loose one child and take the other one home.There's no need to apologize for anything. I can't find a sense in my son dying and I doubt I ever will. I wish all our babies would be here with us....

    And: sounds like we have the same parents... ;)
    I get these quotes from my folks all the time. Hard for me to rest. Always been that way. But today it's even harder because that means give myself time to grieve...

    Wishing you some peace in the weeks to come...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm so sorry, catherine. those dreams and fantasies of christmas in an alternate universe can be so painful... it is hard to live where and how we live - in this grieving space apart from the happy shoppers in the mall. :(

    i know what you mean by the waiting. i am still waiting for angel mae too. it's strange. no rest for the weary...

    please don't feel you have anything to apologize for. you are loving both your children as best you can. no need to be over anything. thinking of you very much. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please don't apologize, for anything. This is your space for whatever you need it to be, no need to say anything new or comforting or helpful. And we will be here, listening.

    Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think you need to apologize, either, Catherine. Thinking of you and both your girls. BTW, my friend Ellie has lost seven babies (and has five living boys). She shared with me what works for her as an answer to the "How many children do you have?" question. She either says, "Five who are living" and then the person can either accept that or ask for more information. But she feels she's not denied her babies who didn't live. Or she says, "We're raising five boys and have seven babies waiting for us in heaven." It has helped me immensely as I would sputter and cry and get very upset. Sometimes I get teary but often now I can just say, "Four who are living." Most women ask for more information, interestingly. But not men. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, the distraction in meetings will pass eventually. Still, there is nothing more heartwrenching than having to answer the 'Have you got any children question'. I'm totally with you on that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Catherine,

    If everyone could be so honest with themselves and each other I think the world would be a better place.

    I guess I know how you feel to some extent given the parallels of our situations. It's such a grind--mourning one, mommying the other when all you want to do is crawl under the covers and hide.

    You're not alone or wrongheaded--just way more open and eloquent than many others.

    Love to you and your family.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really understood that part where you said you can't find the words to explain to people how you feel. How much it still breaks your heart.

    I feel the same. I love reading your words because they help me. Never apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This makes so much sense to me. The missing goes on and on, even when other parts of life go on, too.

    Hoping you find a little rest for your soul, even in the middle of the emotional roller coaster that is the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I relate very intensely to most of what you've said here. The memory of details, feeling like time has just stopped, the inability to express how much it hurts, yes to all of that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. "I feel I should be apologising even here for my failure to progress, my inability to make any meaning or sense out of the loss of my daughter, my endless repetition of the same old things."

    i feel the same way. i often think that most of the people in my life, even the most supportive ones, think i ought to be much better by now, if not over it. i almost feel as if they think i'm milking it when i fail to hide my grief as i usually do.
    as for remembering the details... it only takes two seconds of boredom to bring it all back. at the stoplight, in line at the store, waiting for the bill... my mind goes quickly to that day, bits and pieces of a movie that plays over and over and over in my head. i sometimes wonder how i managed in the first months, when that movie played all day long, every day. hell, i don't know how i managed to get to this point at all. (where the hell am i?!)
    yeah, i haven't a clue why the world hasn't burst apart either.
    hope this year is treating you well.
    XO

    ReplyDelete