Friday 28 May 2010

Self

* Edited to say that this post is a bit of a ramble and even I'm not entirely sure if it makes any sense. And I wrote it so that probably says something!

I commute to work. It is about an hour's drive from my house to the office and, obviously, the same back.
If I am on time, I listen to the morning news. 
If I am late (which I generally am) I listen to the discussion programme that follows the news. Whilst driving as speedily as I dare. 
I've blogged about this programme before here.

On Monday, one of the guests was a gentleman called David Eagleman. A neuroscientist by profession, he has written a book entitled Sum as in 'cogito ergo sum', a series of forty mutually exclusive imaginings of the afterlife. 

I think to myself. Hey hey hey, this book could have been written specifically for me.
He . . 
(a) is a neuroscientist - my undergraduate degree subject and still of interest to me
(b) studies how the human brain perceives time, which is a fascinating topic
and (c) has written a book about the afterlife, a topic which kind of preoccupies me at the moment. 
Where Georgina might be? 
Or even what she might be?

David Eagleman's book has been ordered from Amazon but it hasn't been delivered yet. So I have to confess that I have not yet read the text I'm about to blog about. This may well be a bad thing. I might have to come back and revise substantially after I've actually read the essay in question. I may well have the wrong end of the stick. However, this has never stopped me before. 

Moving on - in this particular imagining of the afterlife the deity is pondering the issue of what age to make people who have entered this hypothetical paradise. He, or she, tries an afterlife solely composed of young people (this rapidly degenerates to a vapid world of sexual pursuits) and goes back to the drawing board pretty sharpish.

The deity eventually decides that, in order to have a properly organised afterlife, all our 'selves' at different ages will have to co-exist simultaneously. So not only will your eighty five year old self be hanging about in the afterlife, they will be there in the company of your five year old self. And yourself as a baby. And yourself as you are now however old you happen to be. In my case, thirty one very shortly.

What the deity did not consider was the illusion of continuity that makes us imagine that we are, and always have been, and always will be, the self same person. We have the same name, we have the same history, we construct little fictions in order to make ourselves believe that the child we once were (and the child we can, or believe we can, remember being) is continuous with the person that we are today. But are we? In Mr. Eagleman's opinion our brains have changed so much with the passage of years that, when the differently aged versions of ourselves meet, they might not even necessarily like one another. Let alone suffer a flicker of recognition to pass amongst ourselves. 

In the essay, when the deity thrusts all the different aged versions of you together it transpires that they have less in common than he or she thought, and less in common than they themselves (yourselves?) had imagined. Your 'selves' fall out, become irritated with, and disorientated by, one another. And so the selves drift apart. They get together once a year and the older versions of you tell endless stories whilst younger versions of you run around, the older 'you's pinch the cheeks of the younger 'you's. But once a year is enough.

I suppose it makes sense. Do I seriously think that all these people are me? Are continuous? 













































I know they are all of the same person. A person now known as Catherine W.
As a baby.
As a four year old.
As a sixteen year old.
As a twenty something.
As a twenty nine year old pregnant (eeep that now seems totally unbelievable) woman.

Do I seem them all getting along? Nope.
For starters, pregnant me isn't going to like the glass of beer twenty something me is holding.
And sixteen year old me? From the look in her eye, NONE of the other selves will like her and she won't like them. Hell, I'm a little frightened of her. And she's me? Yikes. For the record, I'm looking at an old boyfriend in that photograph. And no, dear reader, I did not marry him. 

Does that little girl dressed up as a nurse have anything in common with me now?
Really? 
No, I don't think so. 
I can't remember being her. Although I can remember the bumpiness of the wood chip wallpaper in the background.

The baby me? The baby me that looks quite wise in that photograph? 
Did I say wise? 
No, you see absolutely nothing in common at all. 

That self is as lost to me as that small body is, as that pregnant body is, as that happy smile of my twenties is.
I lived inside those bodies once, my thoughts fizzled about inside those brains once. But. No longer.

The only one I feel anything in common with is that sulky sixteen year old. She seemed to know that something was a-brewing. Something  . . . .difficult to handle. 

But if this hypothetical version of the afterlife should happen to be the truth? And why not? It seems as likely as any other version as far as I am concerned. What about my Georgina?

She only has one self.
She only occupied one small, sadly very finite, body. 
Georgina is not many selves. She will never look back and see a stranger. 
Because the expanse of her life is too small. 
But a little expanse of time? A tiny, failing body?
These things don't make Georgina's life unfinished, incomplete or unworthy.
All of us will be failed by our bodies sooner or later.
In the grand scheme of things, our lives are only small.
We strive to make them appear big and momentous. Perhaps they are? Perhaps they aren't?
It's all a question of scale. 
It's all a question of belief.

What I can't decide is, if that just might, make Georgina blessed. In a very peculiar, small way. 
To have some sort of strange, discrete, compact, sad unity amongst herselves in a hypothetical afterlife.
Not for her that bewildering multiplicity of faces and bodies.
Not for her the internecine war between the various stages of Georgina.
She has a purity which I can never hope to obtain.
Clutch at straws with me. Will you?

Because straws are all I seem to have left at the moment.

12 comments:

  1. I loved Neuropsychology....it was my favorite series of classes as an undergrad. (I've been told I am crazy for feeling this way...for enjoying the challenge...for loving that there were as many neurons in the brain as stars in the sky.)

    I'm going to have to get a copy of this book too...

    But...on the ponderings...YES. I agree. I look back and see so many selves. Which one is me? Are ANY of them really "me"?

    Thank you for sharing....beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clutching away. Loved the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I think I'm going to have to sit on this post a while longer.
    But you're right. I think the only self I could ever relate to now would be the sulkly teenager who just KNEW life was going to get all hard ass on me.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been so many different people throughout my life. I try to improve as I get older.... I hope I am successful!

    And I had to giggle, as I have a picture of me around the same age as you in that picture... also dressed up in a nurse's costume!!!! I must find it and send it to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "She has a purity which I can never hope to obtain.
    Clutch at straws with me. Will you?"

    I'm not sure about any of this, I'm just not clever enough quite honestly to get it,but this last sentence resonates with me, and so yes I'm clutching at straws too. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing post.

    i have no idea what my previous selves would think of me today.

    i suspect some of them would be very disappointed in me.

    but some would be pretty happy.

    i think you might be right about Georgina. maybe it does make her blessed.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please please please post again after you've read the essays. I constantly obsess on the afterlife and burn with wanting to know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel I may well be on the wrong track with this one. It kinds of reminds me of Star Trek or Doctor Who or even the most excellent Quantum Leap (sorry if I'm showing my age/ being too flippant/ both of these.)

    I don't see how younger me would even recognise old me -or have you already said that? 'Now' me is all those experiences and people but 'young' me would know how I am turning out.

    Personally, I couldn't bear getting together with any younger me because there were certain times as a child and teenager and plenty of other occasions too when I wasn't too great to know.

    Having said that I remember once, at church, there was a sermon on the afterlife and the preacher said that you get a new body. I like that idea for Emma. I also like that idea for me because I am terribly vain and would enjoy having fewer blebs, weird skin tags, moles, a slightly smaller nose, the list goes on ---- should I just go for plastic surgery?

    hmm I seem to have gone off the point. I guess the bottom line is that I believe I will see Emma again and I'm sure that somehow she will know me. But what any of us will look like -who knows.

    I think I need a lie down...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jeanette - I don't think I understand it either and I wrote it?! Doesn't say much for my brain power does it?

    @Jacinta - I certainly will if I can make head or tail of it.

    @Emma's Daddy - Yes it is a bit like Quantum Leap! I don't really have any strong thoughts on the afterlife. I used to think that we would get a new body. 1 Corinthians 15:51–55 used to be a passage that I believed in. Not so sure any more. Sigh. But I hope. We shall be changed? Perhaps into something completely unrecognisable? Who knows? Not me for one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was wondering to myself just this afternoon (as I was driving home from work, actually) if my early 20s self would like my self now. I honestly don't know. I know I'm doing something I never thought I would do (corporate wise) but I don't know if I was so narrow minded as to actually dislike me or just not think I am all that cool, which I'm fine with.

    Anyway, I tend to think Olivia is lucky in a way. All she knew is the safety and security of my womb. She never got her feelings hurt, never got yelled at, never had a broken heart, blah, blah, blah. I know it's the worst thing that's ever happened to me, but she never experienced pain. Isn't that supposed to be a good thing?

    If you don't subscribe to the notion of it being better to have loved and lost, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post- and the photo of you at 16, that's me too. My life has been one of tough lessons and unbelievable luck too. I really appreciate this post. thank you, your writing always brings me to tears...clutching along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just catching up on all that I've missed in blogland. What a beautiful post!

    I love the pictures of the different you's and I like the thought behind it. Will chew n that a little longer, considering I'm sick at home I'm more than glad for the food for thought.

    xx

    ReplyDelete