Saturday 28 May 2011

Right where I am: somewhere between 2 years, 8 months, 29 days and 2 years, 9 months, 2 days

Posted as part of Angie's Right Where I Am project at Still Life with Circles

Where am I?

When I started writing this post, I didn't actually know. I had to work it out. I'm still not convinced that I have my sums right.

Where to start from?

From the births. Or from the death. Hard on the heels of one another and then there is that nastily direct line of causation. The death might not have occurred if it hadn't been for the birth. So horribly early.
I'm sure that I would have known instinctively which one was correct, births or death, months or weeks out in 2008.
Now I flounder between the two. Uncertainly. As the date does. The 28th.
Nearly the anniversary of Georgina's death, the 29th. But not quite.
There seems to be a bunch of 'not quite'-ness in my life lately.

When I started my calculation to locate my point on the map, the 28th didn't even produce a jolt of recognition. Perhaps that tells me everything I need to know.

Still, here I am. Apparently. Wry smile.

*

At my sister's wedding, earlier this month.
I'm at a distinct disadvantage, with doughy arms and sleepy eyes peering out.
I am wearing unfamiliar tall heels that make me feel as though I am teetering on stilts.
Where I am now, I again care about how I look. I didn't. Not for about the first two years.
I feel matronly and frumpy. All bingo wings and swollen ankles.
Caught between envious glances at, and joyful pride in, the beautiful young women that surround me.
Halfway between a competitor and a mother. Not quite a mother yet evidently. Not quite ready to lay down my weapons.

I am talking to someone much shorter than me.
I squint and lean towards them, feeling ungainly, wobbly.

"So, do you feel better now?"

I hesitate. Better from what?
Have I been stricken down with some mysterious illness and not even noticed?
Perhaps I looked ill earlier in the day? Pale?
I have recently given birth but people generally don't ask if you are 'feeling better' following the birth of a baby.
Or do they?
How the heck would I know. Nobody asked me very much at all after the birth of my first two children.

I lean downwards, precariously balanced. Feigning deafness.

She pipes again.

"So, do you feel better now? Now you've done it properly?"

Oh.
Do I feel better now I have completed a pregnancy that didn't end prematurely?
And in the death of 50% of the occupants?
Is that what she is asking?
Do I feel better?
Do I?
At least the very fact that she's asked this question, phrased in this way, doesn't make me want to scream as it would have done a while ago.
Perhaps I do feel better?

*

Right where I am.

Everything flickers.
I can happily occupy two diametrically opposed points of view and not bat an eyelid.
Contrary.

(a) I do feel better, everything is better, I am healed, grateful, happy. Because how could I not be?

(b) I actually feel precisely the same as the day she died, you don't come back from an experience like that. There is no 'feeling better.' Ever. Screw you, random wedding questioner and your proposed happy ending. I don't buy it and I don't want it.

(a) I have three children. And I'm not about to hide one of them away.

(b) Strike that. To save me and the questioner a whole bunch of awkwardness (mainly theirs) and heart ache (mainly mine) make that two.

(a) Perhaps I am over-egging the pudding a little when it comes to grief. It was, technically, a miscarriage. Here, in this community, I hang around the edges wondering if I should approach with my tiny daughter in my arms. So far from a baby. Such a long shot at life.
Perhaps Georgina's death has just become a convenient hook to hang my discontent upon?
Why am I still here, jibber jabbering away to myself?

(b) But it hurts. It hurts.
She might have lived. Just might.
I loved her. I love her.
The potential that was Georgina, my daughter, my first baby. And will never be.
And it seems like such a robbery, such a tragedy. So immense that my minds spins when I think about it for too long.
She was a person, a baby. A small baby. With blue eyes that looked about. Or appeared to.
With a small sprinkling of hair.
With limbs that stirred and jabbed the air.
I'm still here because . . . well, there simply isn't anywhere else. Not for her.

(a) I know absolutely nothing. I have brought another child into this world of chaos, where awful things are just waiting to strike at you and nothing makes any sense. Where we are all just temporarily suspended above a mighty abyss, waiting to fall endlessly.

(b) I know things that most people don't. Because this brief glimmer called life is all I have to offer. To anyone.
I held out my hands and tried to pull three people across. But one slipped.
We all slip in the end. But, in the meantime, we live.
I look at the sunlight moving across Reuben's face.
I hear Jessica proudly pronounce, "Ma-mee, Da-dee, Ooooo-ben" over her stick figures.
I feel my own blood pounding in my ears and look out at the world.
I feel stupid and I feel wise.

(a) I am miserable. How could I be happy whilst she is dead?

(b) I am happy. How could I be miserable whilst they are alive? Whilst I am alive?

My happiness isn't the same as it was before. It has teeth and claws. It is a strange, fierce happiness. Possessive. Jealous. Sharp. Toothy. It's spiky, carrying knuckle dusters. It is spoiling for a fight. Possibly with you, question popper at the wedding.

But here.
Where I am.
I am happy.
Happy in a way that I could not have imagined before.
Happy in a way that I would not have been had my daughters both lived.
I can only imagine that my happiness then would have been more placid. Flaccid.
More  . . . appropriate. More socially acceptable.

Not this wild, mad thing that feels indecent and improper. A betrayal.
It does not look like it could possibly belong to that slightly rotund young mother with dishevelled hair, carrying too many bags and frantically shouting at that toddler not to run into the road.
But it does.
It's mine.

And so is she.

31 comments:

  1. As always you say what I so want to but never can. I also cannot fathom where I should be in terms of being happy when Ophelia is a joy but being devastated because Ava is not here. I am not sure I will ever figure it out. All I do know is that nothing can ever be as it was, how could it?

    I am sorry that you were asked such a stupid and judgmental question at the wedding. Your self restraint is admirable. I continue to be amazed at the insensitivity and utter stupidity of some people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. And I'm also sorry that someone asked you such an amazingly insensitive question. Seriously? Why don't people think before they speak?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Catherine! You are a wonderful writer. Thanks for sharing. loves -- v

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing right where you are. I think it speaks volumes that we now respond with silence and an incidental mention than a week of obsessing about a rude, insensitive comment. To me, that encapsulates how different I am now. A comment like that would have gutted me for a week in the early days. Sending love to you, Catherine. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Catherine. I love this. It reminds me of another post somewhere out there (maybe at Glow?) where the woman says her happiness is fierce and "defiant". What a strange sensation, right? And it is wild compared to happiness before loss. I have been thinking about this a lot lately. Maybe it's our rebuttal to the universe that has just flipped us the bird. Screw you, world, I will still find moments of joy! Take THAT!
    Also, I am just disgusted by the wedding questioner. People like that make it sound like birthing a child who lives is an "accomplishment" to be proud of, whereby birthing a child who doesn't live is a "failure" and something to be ashamed of. There was never a bigger lie told. Yet I tell it to myself daily, that I'm a failure, and I know it's a lie but I still torment myself with it.
    Amazing post, all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No she didn't? Did she? Really? Oh of all the awful things I've heard babyloss mums say they've had said to them, this pretty much takes the cake. So sorry, Catherine.
    Like I was with Jess, I am so very glad you took part in this inspiring project. It has brought so many of my favourite writers out of the woodwork. Especially impressed you managed this with baby Reuben safely snuggled in your arms where he belongs. Where I wish Georgina also was, or at least toddling around with her twin sister.
    You're a beautiful writer, person and mother. I'm so glad we're friends and I feel strongly we'll share tea and cake one day while our children toddle around at our feet.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exactly what I grapple with every single day...

    (a) I am miserable. How could I be happy whilst she is dead?

    (b) I am happy. How could I be miserable whilst they are alive? Whilst I am alive?


    Thank you so much for sharing this.. it really is good to know that I am not alone on this one. And PS.. did she REALLY mean that with the question.. wow.. just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First... Big hugs. What a beautiful post. You are amazing. xx

    And that comment? Urggh.

    All you wonderful old friends doing this meme have inspired me... I am hoping to find some time tonight to blog.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sophie - yes please! I do miss your blog, I still check in hopefully every now and then.

    Sally - I did type most of this one handed and had to edit out about thirty spelling mistakes and a word entirely of my own invention. And this was after I'd hit publish! One day, when I come into some money, I will come to Australia and have that tea and cake xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Catherine, I savour every one of your beautiful posts. You have a wonderful way with words, achingly beautiful, and so very true.
    Thank you for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This gave a little weep, Catherine.

    I can only imagine that my happiness then would have been more placid. Flaccid.
    More . . . appropriate. More socially acceptable.

    Not this wild, mad thing that feels indecent and improper. A betrayal.
    It does not look like it could possible belong to that slightly rotund young mother with dishevelled hair, carrying too many bags and frantically shouting at that toddler not to run into the road.


    I feel such a strong connection to this. A pull towards my screen. This is how I feel too. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe anyone would imply the first pregnancy was a failure. What does that make your living daughter? What does that imply about your dead one? Is your son a 'success' because he wasn't early? Because he lived?

    Ugh. My head hurts.

    And I totally would have wanted to punch wedding question popper in the face.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully written, Catherine. I think you captured a lot of how I feel about all of this...life, death, everything...it's ambiguity, contradiction...gaining knowledge I wish I didn't have yet still feeling like I don't know anything.

    And I can't believe that wedding guest. Actually, I can sadly. I've run into her kin over the years.

    This is one of most achingly beautiful things I've read in a long time:

    "I know things that most people don't. Because this brief glimmer called life is all I have to offer. To anyone.
    I held out my hands and tried to pull three people across. But one slipped.
    We all slip in the end. But, in the meantime, we live."

    Thank you...thank you.

    P.S. Fierce happiness...I like it...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Firstly ladies, if there is tea and cake happening in Australia please let me know.

    The contrast of the (a)'s and (b)'s says it all. And no I do not believe you are over egging the pudding.

    Congratulations on Reubens birth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it, because teetering back and forth between so many things is my everyday. I think I started to internalize that year of grief idea. I couldn't be sad anymore after the first year is over. I am glad that I don't have to hold myself to such time constraints. I feel as though I could grieve forever sometimes, but the light breaking through the clouds doesn't scare me so much anymore. Much love to you~

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read so much of this post thinking, yes, yes and me, too.

    That question popper at the wedding was absolutely horrible (jaw-droppingly, rage-inducingly horrible - I hope someone accidentally spilled red wine on her later?) but I sometimes wonder how many people think things exactly like that about me but don't say them.

    I'm glad for your wild, mad happiness. I hope it stays for a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok, I'm still sitting here in disbeleif after hearing about that wedding "guest". WTH??!!
    My contrasting options of response to that aren't fit to print.

    As always, a beautiful post, said so well in ways I couldn't even try.

    We feel sad. We feel happy. We feel guilty. We feel angry. We feel hopeful. It is so much to process and deal with, too much to complete in one lifetime.

    Hugs to you. Keep enjoying your little ones as you remember and honor Georgina so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This post is so awesome that I can't even come up with a coherent reaction to it. In my mind it sounds like a lot of boisterous chuckling punctuated with exclamations of "Exactly" and "Uh-huh"

    As a side note, it didn't even occur to me that I should count from the day R died instead of the day they were born for this project. It seems like the birthday was when it all went off the rails for both of my daughters (maybe even a few weeks before).

    As always my heart aches that you've had to experience any of this but...you just write about it so perfectly. Wild, mad happiness is exactly right.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Now that you'e done it properly." As if it's just a recipe where you mis-measured an ingredient or something. Bah. And as you said, how you handled shows how far you've come. I continue to love what you share and can relate to and learn a lot from your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  20. "I can only imagine that my happiness then would have been more placid. Flaccid. More . . . socially acceptable."

    Agree so very much. I know I would have been happy, then, but the happiness now feels a bit more, well, yes--wild. Sending big love to you. Beautiful post. Thank you is all I can think of--that, and lots of nodding along.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. 'properly' !?!? To term maybe, but really. I think I would have stepped on her.

    You've come a long way...

    and how could G's birth been 'technically a miscarriage'? Esp. since J did live.

    ReplyDelete
  22. As always Catherine what you write leaves me thinking about my own grief (and happiness) in terms I have never before considered. So I thank you for that and for being honest about your own grief and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, dear. I can't believe some people.

    You write beautifully about all your children. Your love shines through.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. "Done it properly?" How you didn't haul out and smack her, Catherine, I'll never know. You've far more restraint and patience than I.

    Remembering sweet Georgina always. xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is perfect. Yes, the back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. It's enough to make me sea sick sometimes, but it's the life that I've been given. And I'm so sorry it's the life you were given, too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful post, wise words, so grateful for this project. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm only 5.5 months out from my twins being born and almost 7 months from the death of our twin A, so my view is still very fresh, but the question of do you feel better having done it right stand out to me. We obviously haven't decided if we are having another yet (we also have a 3.75 year old boy), but the thought that keeps plaguing me is that some of my reasons to have another are selfish with the most selfish being to go out of this whole pregnancy shindig with a different taste in my mouth.

    I feel like having a more normal experience would leave me more aligned positively towards pregnancy, better able to deal with the pregnancy of others and even possibly a better grandmother someday. Do I have any evidence this is true? No, but this doesn't stop me.

    So the maybe I do stood out to me.

    Love seeing the strength of someone farther down the road and the willingness and ability to reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Catherine,

    Beautiful words here. Your writing is unique and gripping and I'm so glad you took part in this project. I'm so sorry for your loss of little, beautiful Georgina. I have spent the last few minutes catching up on your story and I'm so broken by your loss. Thanks for opening up yourself on a blog and letting us in (it helps the newbies like us tremendously). I'll be back, again.

    Beautiful writing: "My happiness isn't the same as it was before. It has teeth and claws. It is a strange, fierce happiness. Possessive. Jealous. Sharp. Toothy. It's spiky, carrying knuckle dusters. It is spoiling for a fight. Possibly with you, question popper at the wedding."

    Grace and peace to you,

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is so perfectly put, odd the guilt that comes with happiness isn't it?
    I often get these questions too, as if one child can take away the loss of another. It will never happen but the loss of one can make the joy of another that much more intense.
    Your words are beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm slowly, so slowly, making my way through the posts in Angie's linky but I've been looking forward to getting here and savouring your beautiful words. I have always been so sorry you are here but so glad that you are.

    This was just jaw droppingly, heart-achingly beautiful. Firstly, I never, ever, EVER think of G. as just a miscarriage - your daughter, Jessica's (and now, Reuben's) sister and longed for and loved baby, a precious forever child - but never, ever a miscarriage. Hell, all three of my siter-in-laws are pregnant and she is more real to me than any of my nephew and niece's-to-be right now, despite us never having met. (We really must one day - all of us, like the US mamas did).

    I wanted to shake that wedding guest in your behalf - monster.

    The a) & b) back and forward - that was just perfectly put - the confusion, the joy (fierce and unkempt) and the pain. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  31. God, I have missed and love how you write.

    You really should think about writing a book. You have this amazing knack of wording things that enables people to relate.

    Sarah xoxo

    ReplyDelete