Thursday 14 July 2011

Playing favourites

Within our family, there have always been fairly well-acknowledged 'favourites', special relationships between various members that just don't exist for others. I don't know if we are particularly unusual in this regard, it isn't something that I've discussed with many other people in real life for fear of opening a can of worms, somewhere along the lines of 'My parents never loved me, sob sob, they always loved my brother, Jim, more. I've been scarred for life . . . . '

I know, for instance, that I am not my father's favourite child. My younger sister is. I don't find this particularly upsetting, perhaps because it has always been out in the open. I know it. She knows it. My father will neither confirm or deny it but his refusal to say anything (when confronted about his supposed favouritism) along the lines of, "Pish, I love you both just the same" leads me to believe that my sister is, in fact, his favourite. And I can see his point of view, my sister is less neurotic, more athletic, taller, prettier and generally an improvement on me. If I were my father, I'm sure she'd be my favourite too.

My sister occasionally tries to make this up to me by claiming, hollowly, that I am our mother's favourite child. But we both know that this, although kindly intentioned, is laughable. I think our mother likes us both equally, I'm fairly sure my sister actually thinks the same. She's just trying to redress the balance.

My grandmother made no bones about the fact that she favoured the eldest child in each family, as she was the eldest child herself. But within this hierarchy of favourites, the 'eldest eldest', the first grandchild, ruled supreme. 

Amongst the grandchildren, it is recognised that some of us have so-called 'shining hero' status and, no matter how obnoxiously we behave or how badly we mess up, we will be excused if we are one of the 'special' ones. This operates separately from birth order and appears to be allocated at random. Just bad luck if you aren't selected. Thus cousin E complains about cousin J, "Hrumph, he can never do ANYTHING wrong JUST because HE. IS. J. Everyone in the family will always stick up for him simply because you all think he's SO great. No matter the evidence to the contrary."

But none of us are dead. I have no experience of this sort of interplay in a family where one of the siblings, or cousins, or grandchildren, is dead. Georgina is, in fact, the only infant death to have occurred in this, and the previous, generation. 

I do sometimes wonder what it will be like for Jessica and Reuben to grow up knowing that they had a sister who died. That, where there are two, there might be three. 

Perhaps they will take after their father and just won't be 'reflecting on what might have been' kind of people. 

Because I am someone who likes to conjure up problems that don't currently exist a good decade or so in advance, I have already had hypothetical fights with a teenage Jessica. These proceed along the usual lines (I hate you, I never asked to be born, but I WANT to stay out until 3 am, date this undesirable boy, drink three litres of cider) until the denouement of, "I bet you wish I had died instead of Georgina. I bet you wish that she was still alive and I was dead so you'd have your perfect daughter who you think is SO great." 

And yes, I do like to trouble trouble LONG before trouble troubles me. 

My relationship with all my children is, at the centre, the same. I love them. They head butt me, ignore me, vomit on me or they pull the ultimate act of defiance and die on me thus removing themselves from my sphere of influence forever. Still I love them.

It is hard not to imagine Georgina as something otherwordly. Sometimes I lose sight of the fact that she would have been a real, honest to goodness, human child had she survived. Burping. Filling up nappies. Saying "no, no, no, no", when asked if she loves me (Jessica's latest wheeze). 

As time passes, Georgina has become something purer. A spirit, a thin little ghost girl, ageless, wise, pure. Barely touching the earth. I feel the need to defend her, to keep mentioning her, just because nobody else will. 

Will her brother and sister think I love her more? 
That Georgina is, somehow, my favourite? 
Because she is dead? 

And, Reuben, whose birth was so far away from the absolute bomb shell of his older sisters'? Their birth feels like the epicentre of an earthquake. I watched Jessica hover between life and death for weeks at a time, so defenceless. During those early days it felt like I was walking into hell, every time I walked into that NICU. Every single day, I woke up and I had to walk back in again. To Jessica and her sister. And then just to Jessica. 

That experience did something to me. I will never, ever be the person that I was. Not ever again. And the girls were right there, with me, in the midst of it. 

My love for the twins has a desperate and despairing edge to it that my love for Reuben does not. Not more. Not less. Just different. My love for him in the immediate aftermath of his birth had a contentment and a peace that would have been inconceivable with the girls. How will he feel? Sharing the spotlight with a bona fide medical miracle? 

As my sister in law said, "Everyone thinks their children are special. But Jessica really is special."

She is. It is hard to reconcile that with a living, breathing, nearly three year old who can occasionally drive me to absolute distraction. Sometimes, mid telling off, I see that tiny, baby again. I hear the ventilator wheeze and the alarms beep. And a voice whispers in my ear, "She nearly died you know. How can you not let her soak her baby brother with the watering can / eat gravel / kick you in the shin / throw her toast on the floor?"

But Georgina is special. Reuben too.
They are all equally special to me. Although nobody will ever be shocked or amazed by the story of the beginning of Reuben's life. Or the beginning and end of Georgina's. Events took expected turns.

I don't think that there will be any favourites in this family. I hope they won't feel that there is.
I love them. My dear, dear three. 
And I can't imagine loving one any more than the others.

13 comments:

  1. My goodness you have an exceptional talent for beautifully wording things for which I do not have the words.

    I feel this way about Baby O. He's a delightful little happy boy, but he's kind of needy. And when I'm feeling like I need a little less we-time, like when I have to be alone in the restroom, I think to myself, "How dare you. He was your wish, your hope, your damn good luck, so pick him up and let him sit on the toilet with you, selfish woman."

    Or something like that.

    I love all three so very fiercely, and I think about those future conversations, too. Also, the thought that Calla would be a real, honest-to-goodness child instead of a memory. Huh.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We aren't really a favorites kind of family. As an ultra-competitive second-born this always sort of annoyed me. I had all of this sibling rivalry tension and nowhere to put it.

    Regarding my daughters, C is starting to compete with R a little. As the only dead baby in the family, R has a certain celebrity status that seems to get under C's skin a little. She's jealous of a couple of items in the memory box. Last week C said something about being a better kid than R because R is dead and alive is better than dead. You can't really dispute the logic but I worry that C's going to turn into a death-obsessed ghoul.

    I figured I would never have to worry about favoritism but now I'm not so sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think about favorites a lot, sometimes, especially now that I've married into a family where everything is complicated by divorce, two second marriages, and half-siblings. There's favoritism of a sort in my family, but it's so mild compared to what goes on in N's, and when favoritism is fueled by old hurts and betrayals, it can really hurt. I don't want it in my family, ever.

    One of the things your post gets at so wonderfully is that many times favoritism has very little to do with the personalities, faults, and virtues of the people involved, and so much to do with circumstances outside anyone's control. I'm going to ponder that for a while because while we can't control the circumstances, we do have some control over our responses to them, and that gives me hope that I'll be able to figure out how to make it clear to Dot that we love her brother so very much and remember him always without making her feel like that takes away from how we love her. Which probably doesn't mean it won't come up in at least a few teenage fights (I worry about these things, too - I guess it's a form of pessimistic optimism).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about this myself lately, especially with Ernest's and Florence's birthdays so close together. I'm ultra aware of making each of their days special days, and not letting one overshadow the other, trying hard to keep a balance of joy and pain...gosh you must feel that so much more intensley with your girls sharing that same special day.
    Sid did say to me the other day that girls are sometimes mean, and maybe Florence would have been mean sometimes...surprising insight for a six year old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a lot of Henry pictures around our house and not so many of either of my girls. I've defended this many times inside my own head (the argument, of course, is that I get to see them every day, but the pictures are the only way I get to see Henry), because I worry too about appearing to play favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just another who has been mulling over these issues of late. I think coming up to August with a dead baby's birthday on the way and a birth (hopefully a live one) to follow closely after that, these things have been playing on mind.
    With Angus though, I can't help but think of him as the favourite, because he lived. Sometimes I almost find myself being mad at poor, defenceless, dead Hope for dying. Probably the most stupid thing I've ever said or that you've ever read, but in my most desperate moments of wanting her back, I just get so mad she didn't hang on, and that she didn't give me a bigger sign everything was so rapidly going to shit, right under my beating heart.
    I'll just chalk these latest thoughts up to hormones. I am officially way too pregnant to make sense any more!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. my mother-in-law's best friend told me after i lost my twins that she had an older brother who was stillborn. she told me about the gravestone that said "baby boy jones" because they did not name him.

    i want naomi to know she is loved, and that i also love her older brother and sister. i don't have to worry about the favorites issue as much, her being the only living one, but i always want to make sure she never feels anything negative about coming after their loss. like you have said, those who are gone retain this purity that the living can never achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first started therapy one of the topics we discussed quite a bit was my fear that in his death George would become larger than life; a piece of perfection that no one else could ever live up to. I still struggle with that idea.

    Now, with the (hopeful) arrival of my daughter soon I have imaginary arguments with her teenage self that end in something along the lines of her saying, "I bet you wish George had never died and I was never born." It terrifies me:(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I worry, a lot, that I love J. more than I love C., because he is the boy who came after the boy who did not live. I worry that I too often think that J. saved me from a life of despair and eternal sorrow and I value him more. Then, too, there is the fact that he is easier, more easy going, happier, funnier...everything my serious, smart, sensitive, dramatic girl is not.

    But I also love them both so much more than I can even articulate and know that I would not want to live without either one of them, ever.

    I wonder as well what they will say about Ben when they are older, aside from what they say now, when they cry and want him here, with them, a brother they never knew.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reading your posts always! I worried early on that I put Andrew on a pedestal (which was easy to do since he would never do anything wrong... seeing he wasn't here). Then I worried that I would not be able to love anyone as much as Joe because he was my reason for getting out of bed... but then as I added and added and added to the family I truly look at them and can't choose one over the other... Joe saved my life, Ali Jane enabled me to say I had 'babies' (which I was so desperate to do), Z is my comic relief and snuggle bug and Sean (though still coming into his own) is my baby and I can't imagine this world without him. I used to think that you MUST have a favorite... how could you not? You can like one friend better than another... etc. But now I know that it is possible.
    I am sure there won't be any favorites... but come those teen years I KNOW that they will express that there are (and they aren't it!). You are an amazing mother and your children (all three) are so very blessed to have you!
    Hugs-
    L

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was beautifully written as always. It's another example of how something that most mothers (probably) worry about is even more complicated when one of your children is dead.

    I have always thought that we love each of our children differently - equally does not mean identically. I worried about this when T. was first born - the baby who came after. But, somehow, his sleeplessness has helped me seehim as an "ordinary" baby ... special because all babies are special but not somehow set apart by the events that came before. I look at each of my living children and my heart swells with love and pride for each of them. I still haven't worked out how to ensure they don't have to compete with an idealised, dead sister - that's a bit of grief work that I'm still doing. I have imagined having that self same conversation you envisined with teenage Jessica with my teenage Lucy ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. When we were younger, I used to sometimes say that my parents had his and her children and that worked for all of us! I would say that while you aren’t particularly unusual for having these favourites, you may be a bit unusual in acknowledging that, and that’s part of your nature that I really like.

    I hadn’t even thought of this idea, but now that I have, I think it is more a question of when rather than if these words will come out of Chiron’s mouth (I am saying this about a seven-month-old 4.5-adjusted, so definitely not based on personality). I think being raised with awareness of your sibling, it just has to happen.

    One sort of related fact that I feel compelled to share and so I’ll jump the thread slightly was the most disturbing comment I think I heard throughout the whole demise, hospitalization and NICU stay. At the perinatologist when they were confirming the demise, the tech said something to the effect that it would have been better if it was the other one that was dead. She didn’t continue on and looked kind of startled at what she said and so I don’t know if this is because girls fair better in the NICU or because it is better when the live twin is the presenting twin, but this was a definite punch in the gut.

    In our case, I wonder if the dead sibling being the different gender will make this more or less likely…

    I’ve been thinking of making a book about Aurelia using a photobook/story book site on the suggestion of some friends who lost their oldest son. Just a basic story of her life. They recommend then keeping it around and reading it to the boys every three or so months to allow them to ask questions as they develop.

    One more thought. I’ve come to the conclusion there are two schools of thought mainly about treating siblings. School one is you treat them the same. School two is you do for each child what they need and this will probably not be the same. This can be about attention, money, support or most anything else. I think I’m a school two person. You may find yourself with one kid who can competently work while going to college (university over there, right?) while the other needs support to manage the hoops of school not even adding work. You might find yourself with one kid who has a job that can provide for all the needs of their own family and another who needs a little support to fund their offsprings’ school or whatnot. While my love might be the same (not even sure I can guarantee that. My kids aren’t old enough to know), I don’t anticipate to treat them the same.

    I have thought through and plan to aim to not treat Chiron differently as a result of his NICU time. I don’t want to have any extra protection or nervousness towards him.

    I love the analogy of an earthquake. Reuben definitely will feel the aftershocks. It was an earthquake that emanated out from your body into your family and friends.

    I can’t imagine the pain of losing Georgina. Aurelia fills my thoughts frequently and while I held her, I only felt her alive in my body. And I carried her for six weeks after she died. To meet a child, encourage them and love them for three days and then lose them just hurts my soul. I am sorry and I hurt for you.

    Sorry for the marathon comment as always! Except I’m not really sorry, because I love that you cause me to think so many thoughts, to come to so many conclusions and to remember things that I didn’t know I remember. So, thanks instead of sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful post. I worry too about putting Elias up on a pedestal, that I will be getting a tattoo in his memory but none for my daughter (maybe that will change). I don't want her to feel she is playing second fiddle to her dead brother. Aren't those thoughts so irrational? How can a child play second fiddle to one who has no interaction with this earth? Yet those thoughts and concerns are there. I hope it just means we are good mamas for worrying in advance about such things. xo

    ReplyDelete