Friday 2 December 2011

Preoccupations

Prompted by Cathy from Missouri noticing some connections between several of my more recent posts and the amazingly gracious (and tenacious) Aoife who has been delving through the archives here.

Georgina.

Denial, disbelief, waiting. Still.

Wombs, machines, whirring, gasping, aliens, isolation, unusual, outlier.

Maternity, motherhood, parenthood, failure, shame, embarrassment.

Fooled, foolish, fool, fool, fool.

Creepiness, self consciousness, self doubt. self loathing, rotten, rotting, rottenness. Rotten inside.

Smallness, discreteness, separateness.

Shot through with gold.

Time travel, space, temporospatial fluidity, movement, communication.

The after life, contact, wires, threads, strands. Loneliness. Cut off. No reply.

Chaos. Construction.

Regret.

Georgina

Love.

I hope?

Love.

***

Proprioception is an underrated sense. Not one of the big five. Smell. Touch. Taste. Sight. Hearing. Proprioception doesn't even feature on Nina and The Neurons.

The sense of the relative position of neighbouring parts of the body and strength of effort being employed in movement.

I don't know if it is possible to experience proprioception in relation to a body other than one's own. Probably not. I suppose my constant awareness of my living children's bodies in space, their rib cages, their brains, their moving hands, their turning eyes, would fall into the category of awareness of the outside world, exteroception. But I imagine that I feel it, it is as though I experience their proprioception. Using my long, maternal antennae which brush up against their little brains, intruding and sending shivery signals back to me.

I feel them, moving through space, their bodies displacing empty air. Emptiness replaced by solidity. Such an unlikely occurrence. How it ever happens I simply don't know. How it is so widely accepted that it will happen? And not end in death and despair and mourning? Regret?

A mystery.

***

I was out Christmas shopping this week and I was feeling happy and benevolent, kind of avuncular towards the world at large, gazing at the window displays and idly thinking about the presents that I would buy to put in Jessica's stocking. Amongst others (too many others) I've opted for a space hopper, which suits her personality I think. And a powder that will turn your bath water into pink jelly.

But suddenly, amidst bath jelly and feelings of good will, I had a flash of a First Christmas outfit. Almost reflected in the window that I was looking in to. Like an eerie flash of Christmas Never Was. Christmas Imagined by Catherine W in July 2008 perhaps?

It is an outfit that I own. It consists of red velour dungarees with an embroidered reindeer on the bib, a red and white striped vest. It is size 0-3 months. It still has the price tags on it. Actually I own two of these outfits. For the daughters I never had.

One is in the loft in a bin bag I think. The other is in Georgina's box. Too big for the girls. Too small for Reuben. And so achingly, achingly flat. Occupied by nobody, filled out by nobody, worn by nobody. Never or ever.

My mother bought them. For granddaughters that never existed. But were expected. Were wanted.

And I'm so sorry. For the whole thing.

Just so very, very sorry. So sorry I could curl up into a ball and just keep curling.

Regret. Again.

***

And why is this still being written?

Three years of emptying my chatter into a void the size of my daughter.

I'll leave it to someone else to explain.

There is no deadline.
There is no schedule.
There is no plan we can fall back on.
The road this far can't be retraced.
There is no punchline anyone can tack on.
There are loose ends by the score.
What did I come down here for?
You.
You.




Georgina. You. My love. You.
I hope you don't mind. 
I hope I am not keeping you from your rest.
Somehow tying you here, trapping you here.


You. 

15 comments:

  1. I only know you through words on my computer screen but I adore you nevertheless. You give words to emotions and feelings that I have a hard time recognizing and giving voice to myself.

    Wondering if you are keeping Georgina tethered here by writing and missing her so much...I sometimes wonder the same about George even though I doubt he is anywhere but in the urn on my dresser. So sad. And now I'm crying in my office because, damnit I miss my son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no deadline... Except forever, I suppose.

    Sending hugs and love, dear one... I have outfits like you speak of, tucked away, picked out or made with so much love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a preocupation. Sometimes I wonder, is it me?? Am I holding on to what is not meant to be? Are we keeping them bouyed here floating around us?

    I just don't know and the clothes they will never wear. I have them in boxes sitting in my room, it is not time to get rid of them. They do remain flat but I need them. I need to imagine what they would look like all filled out and not flat.

    As always, your words are beautiful.

    I hope this Christmas brings us joy and smiles. We deserve it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you will miss her forever, but I hope that the feelings of guilt and the sense of failure will lessen over time. You did nothing wrong, Catherine. You are an amazing mother to all your children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending you lots of hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Catherine. I must have read part 1 ten times before moving on, letting each word sink in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was not tenacity that made me read through the archives - it was compulsion... I was reading words that really spoke to me, of all I was feeling... I love your writing, please don't stop.

    I don't believe you are trapping Georgina here, I believe your words honour her, love her, parent her. Perhaps it's naive, but I like to think that our babies can somehow hear our words and that they feel how much we love and miss them, and it makes them feel special.

    "...so achingly, achingly flat. Occupied by nobody, filled out by nobody, worn by nobody. Never or ever"... The first thing I ever bought Seamus was a little babygrow that said "I (heart) Dad" on it. I gave it to John as part of his 30th birthday, and for John, it is his connection to his son, he sleeps with it on his shoulder, where Seamus should be. It's so achingly sad to see. A flat lifeless babygrow that should have been filled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish Georgina was with you in your home to dance and swirl and giggle with her twin. I feel your deep love for her woven through your words and heartache. I'd like to think she knows she was wanted and is still so very loved and that is a blessing. How many people long for that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. No words right now but much love and understanding. Beautiful writing for your darling and adored Georgina as always. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Catherine. So much of this, so much, rings so true for me that it is almost like you've stolen into my head and lined up all my mumbo jumbo I can do nothing with and then put it here in sensible words.

    If there is any connection between us and them that wasn't severed by their deaths, then I imagine your daughter can feel the love you have for her and what little one doesn't need to feel their mother's love?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is the first time I've heard proprioception named. I'm glad to have a word for it.

    I love the list of connections - the contrast of it, the love and gold and hope in it. I wish you didn't have to live through it, though.

    I think of those red velour dungarees and my eyes well up with tears. Still. Remembering Georgina with you, and wishing she was there, and sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending love and light....

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is just beautiful. This just speaks to my soul. I get it about the outfit--isn't it funny how little things that, at the time of purchase or finding seemed small and insignificant, now loom so large in memory and attic.

    Worn by nobody, for someone we expected to be here. For me the verb was "assumed" would be here. Huh.

    Sending lots of love to you.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another breathtaking post, Catherine. The love you bear for Georgina pours out of your words, strong and certain. No question mark or doubt. Your whole blog beats with your heart for her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've fallen behind, but understood much of what you wrote. Sending much love this season. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete