Monday 6 August 2012

You Will Always Be The Same

I spent the morning drinking coffee with old friends.

Women I've known ever since I can remember. I have photographs of us in short dresses in sand pits, clutching plastic spades in fat, toddler hands. Dressed up as fairy princesses with skinny knees. We were going to be in Starlight Express and sing and dance about on roller skates. We were going to save the whales, save the world - we organised a bake sale in my front garden and raised a total of seven pounds. Our contribution to the cause.

Three, thirteen, twenty three, thirty three.

And Starbucks fades out around us. I don't notice any of the other people. Just these two. Little girls and teenagers and young women. I remember their school bags and their childhood bedrooms. The way they looked at play school and at college and ten years ago. We talk about all sorts of things. And I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. Then I am, actually, crying. But I don't think that either of them notice.

Things change. They have changed. Relationships, jobs, houses. Stories.

But not me. The only major change in my life over the past three years has been Reuben's birth. And I became a mother of the rather confused number of children that so many of us have. Two? Three?

Since Georgina died, I seem to have become very indecisive. Often I will delegate the decision making process to Jessica, when it is something suitable for a three year old. Shall we stay here at the trampolines? Shall we go to the shops today? Shall we buy doughnuts or pancakes?

I seem to stay stuck, frozen.

Perhaps I'm frightened to leave 2008? And I'm still here, four years on, watching the Olympics again. A good night for the British track and field team.

Same house, same car, ever-so slightly different job. Actually, I do seem to have an entirely different husband, although he is the exact same person according to his paperwork. But that's another story altogether.

So many things change around me that are beyond my control. I am buying school uniforms for Jessica and my heart snaps at the small grey skirt in a size three and I feel that this entire world has simply run mad. Why am I doing this? Sending my children off to be looked after by other people to pay for a house that I'm not even that keen on. But the options seem to shut themselves down one by one. Until I'm left here. Not one to run off and join the circus.

I keep thinking that I should try to change  . . . something?

Because it's nice to have a plan. It's good to look forward. I always seemed to be scheming away at something when I was younger.

And because that I feel that I should have changed. That my first daughter should have left a mark on me. I don't have a tattoo or a scar. Nothing at all. Not even a stretch mark (bizarrely I only have stretch marks on my knees? perhaps I just have very fat knees?)

That I should be a hermit, or a drunk. A saint or a terrible sinner. I should still be wearing black. That I should be kind. Softly spoken. Or hard and fierce, itching for a fight. Because of her.

But, because of me, I'm exactly the same.
I match her, in her static-ness.

Older. Flabbier. Tired and looking for a way out. Reluctant to change anything. Scared to let go of anything. House, car, job, the way I do my hair, the same clothes purchased in a larger size now. Writing and re-writing the same old lines. That I miss her. That I love her. Still here, lurking about on the internet, muttering to myself.

I look at all the time that might be in front of me and sometimes I feel tired and frightened. That I don't have the energy to keep fighting to hold on to what I have, let alone try and make much needed improvements.

I desperately want another baby. I've never had to face Georgina's death without another baby. Sometimes with a desperately ill baby, sometimes with a baby that was just a hope. But always with a baby, or close to a baby. To hide behind, to fend off the memories of her death with, to hold close to me. Those babies, all three of them, that have so consumed me that I'm not entirely certain if there will be anyone left behind them. Just a pale ghost, a ghost of a mother. The mother who writes here. A mother who will never be, Georgina's mother.

And I think . . .

I should, I should . . . .

work harder,
try my hand at something else,
take a class,
make a friend,
go to bed earlier,
stop poot-ling around on the internet when I should be asleep,
stop using words like poot-ling and flim flam and toodle pip  - which century do I live in precisely?
drink less,
eat less,
exercise more,
read more books,
read fewer blogs,
talk to my husband more often,
talk to my friends more often,
talk to my family more often,
be kinder,
keep the house cleaner,
stay on top of the laundry,
wash my car,
weed the garden

And the list looks the same as it did before Georgina died (with the exception of internet and blogging related entries) and I find that I just don't have the heart for it. I don't have the heart for reinvention. I think that I will remain the person that I was when Georgina died, to some extent. The years pile up and it seems to be costing me all my effort just to stay still. I don't even seem to have the heart to cut my hair.

Maybe next month?

Oh Georgina. My poor little half-dead baby.
I keep meaning to look at your photographs but I'm frightened of them now.
To see your eyes looking at me, your dear blue eyes.
Your little legs.
I'm sorry that it went so wrong. That you will always be the same. Never change. And, as a result, I think part of me stays the same too. In sympathy with you perhaps?



17 comments:

  1. It is enough that you are you. You are changed and changing, you can't help it, though you may pull the emergency brake on it, for Georgina's sake, or refuse to see it at all, for the sake of wishing it were not true.

    ---

    Should is a harsh word, my love. The only things on that list above that seem really necessary to my eyes are the ones that begin, "talk to..."

    Perhaps they are also the most difficult items, but "talk to" is usually worth the effort. Even when the difference is not immediately discernible.

    love love love - vera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes. As you wrote a few posts back, even when something looks like it is rotting, it is still changing shape. Perhaps the same is true of things that appear to be stagnating?

      And part of it is because I am resentful of changing when she does not. Or perhaps she does, how would I ever know?

      I will try to persist with the talking but I sometimes seem to just make matters worse and end up wishing I'd just kept quiet. But it takes time, all these things take more time than I would wish them to.

      Love C xo

      Delete
  2. Oh Catherine, you speak to me. We could have easily had this conversation over a cup of tea (or a few beers or glasses of wine seems more suitable today) and I too would have shaken my head at myself. A pity I never change either. I'm not back to work yet. I told myself after I learned Alexander was dead inside me, that I would never return to my job and continue to make myself unhappy - not after THIS. ... I've let out rough estimates for a return date in October.

    I hope to be doing something else by then. The circus doesn't sound all that bad these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I could certainly go for the wine. If it wasn't for my pesky lists of 'shoulds.'

      I hope that something turns up before October. I feel a bit saddened that I ended up doing so many of the same things after Georgina died, when I felt as though her death should have given me . . . More bravery? More insight into what I should be doing?

      And there's that pesky 'should' again, bossing me about. Sigh.

      It is horrible being unhappy in your job. And although it is a small, weak kind of unhappiness compared to Alexander's death, Georgina's death, it has a nasty additive impact.

      Maybe see you in the circus one of these days x

      Delete
  3. Sending love. I am very sad tonight. It's the first time in a long time that I have sat and wished that I had two small toddlers running round driving me batshit crazy. Not just one.

    Your list is worryingly similar to mine.

    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I struggle with indecisiveness too! It seems as if every decision to be made is simultaneously of paramount importance and completely irrelevant. How can it matter so much without mattering at all?

    Sometimes I feel as if everyone else in the world has left me behind, and here I stay, alone. Other times I think maybe it is me who has left them behind, searching for something more significant while they focus on the trivial things in life. I feel so different from them now, regardless of who is moving or changing.

    By the way, I love your little boy's name.

    I am thinking of your sweet Georgina this afternoon. Your love for her and the way you honor her and keep her memory alive are beautiful ways that you mother her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think people change, not really. Not their essential personalities. I always thought of myself as optimistic before Molly died, but I suppose there must have been this evil bitterness, this black cynicism waiting to bubble up from the depths if disturbed by the "right" kind of event.

    I understand about blogging, but I'm not thinking about ceasing the reading of blogs, just the writing. When I started blogging the thought that I'd be welcomed with loving, open arms by the community and that my baby would be acknowledged was comforting. With the exception of a few lovely souls (you being one of those), that has not happened. There are times when it adds to my heartbreak and stress, and so I wonder what the hell I'm doing.

    Even so, I keep going. Why? I'm not sure. Perhaps because I'm driven to honor Molly's memory, by desperation, and as an act of communion with you and a few others because you and your babies matter to me.

    "....I think a part of me stays the same too. In sympathy with you perhaps?" I really understand that, also. Because it's so fucking unfair that my baby had to die so I could live. And the world keeps turning, people kill each other and commit heinous crimes, nothing makes sense. I live--with this white-hot rage and continued loss of faith in people--while my beautiful, beautiful girl's chance to live was cruelly stolen away.

    "The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
    For nothing now can ever come to any good."

    Who doesn't know that poem of Auden's? Oft-quoted, and yet I didn't completely get it until now. Now...well, nothing can ever come to any good. My love of life died with my baby. Curtains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my love. You sound so very, very sad.

      For what it's worth, I don't think your bitterness is 'evil.' I think it is understandable and it is justified. I know that doesn't make any easier to live with however.

      I'm sorry that you don't feel you have been welcomed by the blogging community. It is a strange place in some ways. If it is any consolation, I also feel like an outsider. And yes, on occasion I have ended up hurt and upset as a result of it.

      On balance, I think I feel like an outsider most places these days. At least here, I don't have to (a) actually speak and (b) have to pretend that I've forgotten my daughter (argh that last one just sums up the ridiculousness of this world really, as if I'm ever going to forget her) so here in blog land is better than most other places.

      I would be very saddened if you were to stop writing but it is supposed to be helpful for YOU. Helping me is just a by-product :) That must be its main purpose, to help you Molly's mama, and only you can know if it is.

      That poem certainly speaks to me a different way now. It is a poem that reflects a certain side of my grief. But I still want to believe that things can come to good. If it is only out of sheer pigheaded stubbornness. Because I need to believe that they can in order to live? Even if I'm only pretending that they can?

      Will write more to you later (because that is so OBVIOUSLY what you need, the five million words of Catherine W., insert snark and sighs, but I'm afraid it's all I have) Hang on in there my dear, remembering your beautiful Molly xo

      Delete
  6. Oh god, Catherine. The shoulds are making me crazy right now. The exhaustion, the effort, the indecisiveness, the long, long list that I just can't face. And I, too, desperately want another baby. I'm raging at what's happened to my life, except that I'm so tired, rage just looks like mild chagrin. I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rage reduced to mild chagrin by absolute exhaustion? I hear you. Because, on occasion, I would scream except that it would use to much energy up and I would rather sleep.

      Hoping for you and you aren't alone in staring down that long list of shoulds. I think we should probably both tell the vast majority of them to go take a hike x

      Delete
  7. We have so much in common, sometimes it frightens me! Are you sure we are not long lost siblings? This post just spoke to my heart.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, this spoke to my heart too, so clearly and directly. That list, that list - it is my list as well. Before, and after, Otis.

    "A mother who will never be, Georgina's mother."

    That line went straight to my heart, and gave me chills. This is it, precisely.

    Thank you, Catherine.

    xo
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. ....stop using words like poot-ling and flim flam and toodle pip - which century do I live in precisely?

    *****

    Oh, no, no, no. We can't have that! Stay there, whatever century you're in, my dear girl. I delight in your Catherine W-isms and envy you British claims to all-things-wordishly-fetching.

    I did wonder:

    Do you think this is more *your* list? Or other people's (society's?) list *for* you?

    I understand such lists. Used to drown in such lists. Now scrap such lists, pretty much.

    A good system?

    Your friends can vote on the items and if anything's left, you can consider tackling it. IF you want.

    I wouldn't change a *thing* about you. Except your current location. Or mine.

    Sigh! for the same air space,

    CiM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Cath.. how I wish we lived closer so we could share a cuppa together. I echo so much of what you have said here.
    As a person I am so different, yet maybe the same? I just don't know. I have so many things on my should do/must do/ might do list. Very few boxes actually get ticked. Ah well....
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know you before you had & lost Georgina, but I feel certain that she has left her mark on you. No, you didn't become a different person, "a saint or a terrible sinner" - but perhaps you became more *you*?

    I torment myself with the shoulds as well. And the desperation for another baby to 'buffer' against the grief - that feels very familiar. And please don't ever stop saying pootling etc!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Catherine- maybe if you changed, she wouldn't recognize you if she came back?

    I find myself looking at photos of how I "was" and how I "am" and seeing two very different people.

    It makes me sad that I would have been someone completely different if she had stuck around. I wish I could be the person I was meant to be if I were mothering her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was a highly motivated planner before - one of those annoying 'go-getters'. Work hard enough and you can have anything you want! (Oh how I want to slap my old self across the face...) Now, not so much. In fact not at all.

    I can work, and plan and strive and challenge myself to do all kinds of things, but it all seems a bit futile now... because he'll never be here. I can never never never get him back. The one thing I want, I cannot ever have, no matter how hard I work, or how fiercely I want it.

    A part of me definitely died with Seamus - and there are days where I feel I still lug that dead part around like a heavy redundant extra limb. As you say, it feels like it takes all my effort and energy to just tread water.

    Yes I would like to change. I would like joy and happiness without the painful heart squeeze that comes with it. But that will never be possible. So it seems futile. Easier just to keep treading water for now.

    So it's hard to motivate myself to do anything, when none of it really matters.

    I guess I'm kind of a jumble - stuck back there, with life nudging me forward, changed but the same, dead but alive...

    ReplyDelete