Monday 5 April 2010

Trying

In November last year, I saw a negative pregnancy test for the first time in about ten years.
I have seen quite a few of this variety since.

I had taken about two or three pregnancy tests when I was younger, back in that strange and distant land known at the 1990s. I remember my hands shaking and my stomach churning, hoping and hoping and pleading that there would be no second line. Unsuitable boyfriend. Degree to finish. Inability to look after self, let alone child. All the usual reasons.

Then, like most women I suppose, there came a time when my hands were still shaking and I was still hoping and pleading. But now I was pleading for that second line to please, please, please show up.

I've been so very 'lucky' up until this time, the so-called third time lucky. I fell pregnant with the twins on the first cycle we tried for a baby, I fell pregnant again the first time we decided to try for a third child. But then I miscarried a few weeks later.

Since then. Still trying for that elusive third. Nothing.

I worry. I wake up in the night and worry. Worry away at the idea. Until I am worn away.
Perhaps I've left it too late.
Perhaps I will never have another child.
Perhaps I will have another child, another child born too early, another child who dies.
Perhaps the brief 'half' pregnancy I had with the twins will be my only pregnancy.
Perhaps I will never feel a child move in my womb and know it for a baby and not indigestion.
Perhaps I will never move with the slow consideration of a heavily pregnant woman, my husband will never feel a child of ours kick from inside my body.
Perhaps this is all I will ever know of pregnancy and motherhood.
A hovering.
A circling around a plastic box of wires and machines.
A slow, slow, slow cessation of breath and the faltering beat of a heart that fades away to silence.

Endless waiting, waiting, waiting.
Seemingly endless on one hand.
On the other, yes, endless.
I will be waiting a very, very long time to see Georgina do these things.

Waiting to touch my daughter.
Waiting to hold my daughter.
Waiting for her to feed, to fight infections, for ducts to close, for eyes to open, for ears to form, for unruly growths of blood vessels to die back, for protruding organs under the skin to be swept back in.
For her to take a breath.

And I am still so very, very angry and bitter.
That this is the hand that I was dealt.
That this is the hand that my children were dealt.

And I hate myself for that bitterness and anger.
Because I have no right to them. I have a living, breathing child.
A child who should be a ghost. Who should be with her sister.
A child who, in all honesty, has no business being alive.
In my mind's eye, I still see that tiny human that was Jessica.
Certainly that dainty, red body was my very own Jessica beyond a shadow of a doubt.
But my brain seems to have trouble taking it all in, even now.

If it were up to me she would be dead. For all my love, for all my care, for everything I might fancy I know.
If it had been left up to me, I would have watched both my daughters die.
Those early faltering breaths and cries would have been their whole lives.

Because love doesn't mend broken things.
Love can't act as surfactant for immature lungs.
Love can't work it's way through a body to clear infection, to fix faulty circulatory plumbing.
I've obviously been wired incorrectly, as part of me believes that it might have done. If I could just have tried harder. What a cruel state of affairs.

And I wanted two. I wanted my two tiny, broken daughters to survive. Both. And now I want more.
Strange to think I would have been almost eight months pregnant if I hadn't miscarried.

25 comments:

  1. I feel bitter too Catherine. Even though I have other children and I am pregnant again, I still feel bitter towards others who it is all so easy for. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it will happen again soon...you deserve more babies. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could just make it all right Catherine. I believe though, I do believe it will happen. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. *hugs* Alot of the emotions of grief don't go away after getting a BFP for a rainbow. It is so hard to try for a rainbow after a child. Prayers your way. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Catherine, it does seem terribly unfair. Love doesn't mend all broken things, but I hope with all my heart that it might fix us, one day, somehow. Does that sound trite? Probably. Sorry. Still sending love to you just in case. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that feeling, we are trying to conceive, as well. It took me a year and a half the first time to get pregnant. I am praying that it does not take that long this time as well.

    Praying for you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Through these words I so easily feel your emotion. i often wonder why. i often wonder when...again...if ever. I am sorry for this pain. Lots of love to you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. ((hugs)) Please be gentle with yourself.

    Please do not hate yourself for the bitterness and anger. Think of why you are angry- because of love robbed. Think of all the LOVE you have, in you, and beyond you, spreading to the mysterious beyond.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. so sorry, catherine, i remember all those negative pregnancy tests as well. the constant despair and questions why isn't it working, what is wrong, will it ever work. it wears on you so much. i hope you see 2 lines soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My experience is similar, although also completely different. After being a slightly-too-careless teenager and a few 'thank-god-it's-negative' tests, I didn't take a pregnancy test for almost ten years. Then it was positive (it was our fifth cycle; I have no idea why I tested when I did. I didn't test the four cycles that didn't work, but tested on day 26 and got a positive on the fifth).

    And since losing that baby, I've tested every month, and been broken by every negative.

    You have every right to your bitterness and anger.

    They may not help you. They may hinder you. But they are your emotions. They will never leave if you deny them.

    Love should mend broken things.

    For the minute, I will pray that you and me and everyone else who is trying get positive tests soon, and ones that are guaranteed to stick around and be born alive and well.

    Sorry this is so long and random. I wish I knew what to say to help heal us all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It so isn't fair, Catherine. You have been robbed of so much, despite the fact you have a healthy, living child at home. You have a right to feel angry and bitter.
    My wish is for you to see that second line then to have a long, boring, easy and healthy pregnancy that goes the distance, then of course the healthy, happy baby who comes home right away and avoids all the tubes, wires, beeping and fighting for life. Universe, I hope that's not too much to ask.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm hoping that your perhaps will be just that, and that you see two lines soon.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Because love doesn't mend broken things.
    Love can't act as surfactant for immature lungs.
    Love can't work it's way through a body to clear infection, to fix faulty circulatory plumbing."

    Ah, if love and will could take care of these types of things Georgina would still be with you and Henry with me and I wouldn't know you at all.

    You most certainly have a right to feel bitter and angry, and that doesn't take anything away from what you feel for Jessica. You may be thankful she's here and angry that Georgina isn't. But I hope some day the bitterness and anger will lessen for you, not because you don't deserve to feel them, but because you do deserve to live without them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been wondering but haven't asked. I am so sorry Catherine and I join the chorus of hope for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm with Sally. Wishing for you too xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Janis and Sally said it all.... I couldn't have found better words. Cross my fingers and send you a big hug! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have every right to be bitter and angry and it's ok to feel that way as long as you feel the need. You and your family have been through so much - if only love could make everything right.

    I too hope that you see 2 lines soon and that your pregnancy is long and quite boring :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's not fair at all.

    I remember believing that love would fix everything, too. And I think I'm with you when it comes to bitterness as I still feel betrayed and angry that it didn't.

    Thinking of you and your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sigh. I understand you fear of never being pregnant again and the scarier reality that the hands we have been dealt might really be the only motherhood we will know.

    This is our 7th cycle of trying with no sucess. We too fell pregant the first and second time we tried, only to come up empty handed both times. And now. Now we wait. And worry. And worry about the impact of the worrying. And try not to worry.

    It's all so incredibly unfair. Can you believe that some women just get pregnant when the want to and after 9 months of pregnancy bliss bring home perfectly healthy babies? It's beyond me that it can be so simple for some and so difficult for us.

    I'm tired of trying and scared to give up.

    I'm praying we both get lucky very soon. I'm sending you a great big hug from across the pond. Can you feel it? xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Catherine, I just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you and sending you lots and lots of love. I really wish that could fix it. Or even a little of it.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much Isla's mommy. I needed a hug today. Wishing for you xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is so hard. Hoping for all the best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Catherine...I'm just sitting and nodding and sighing and hoping with you. And sending you love.

    You have every reason and right to feel bitter and angry. When we found out Sierra was growth restricted and might have to be delivered early, one of the first things that upset me wasn't that she might die but that I wouldn't get to experience late pregnancy with her - and I had even been through a full term pregnancy already.

    You have so much love for the children you have and you are a wonderful mother to them both - and you can be that mother and still want another child and the experience of a full term pregnancy and a baby who doesn't need the NICU. I, too, am really wishing for that boring, everything-is-just-fine pregnancy and healthy, take-home baby for you. You deserve it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I feel your pain so much, Catherine! I am trying so hard not to get my knickers in a twist about getting pregnant again, but I do worry about it ALL the time.

    *huge hugz*

    Sarah xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Catherine... I wish that I somehow had words... had something... that could hold this ache and broken heart together. I wish I could say something to make the hurt less, to fix it all. Sending hugs... Many hugs... And lots of love...

    ReplyDelete