Monday 21 June 2010

Sideways

In the first few weeks after the birth of Georgina and Jessica, I felt as if I were walking next to myself. As though some mighty hand had come down and ripped the pith out of me, taken away that essential, central part that is, somehow, me and carefully decanted it, collapsed and shivering, about two feet to the side of where my physical body, fleshy me, was standing.

As though the two parts of me, my body and . . .ack . . . my mind? my soul? my brain? . . . could no longer bear direct contact with one another but preferred to be estranged, kind of hanging around in the immediate vicinity but not on speaking terms.

I suppose that this was shock. This sly conspiracy between my mind and my body who had somehow, between themselves, decided that this situation was simply far too painful and they were going to try their damnedest to absent themselves from it. I could almost catch sideways glimpses of myself without the aid of a mirror. Or, at least, of someone who looked like me, peering into incubators, holding conversations, sobbing in a heap on the floor, buying groceries. But I often felt as though I was slightly to the side of, or slightly above, the frame of action.

I had quite a few disturbances of physical sensation in the months after the girls were born. Fluid pooled in my ankles and feet, giving me the sensation of an extra pair of feet flopping about on top of my real feet. Water felt somehow wrong, too thin, too insubstantial. I'd wash my hands or put my foot in the bath and recoil in surprise. My body felt, by turns, too large and rounded and as thin and insubstantial as a mist. I developed restless legs and kept my husband awake at night with endless twitchings of my feet.

I did return to 'myself' eventually but that strange, disconnected state has never entirely vanished.


Only one person, outside of the family and a couple of work colleagues, saw Jessica in intensive care. I didn't really want anyone to see her, some sort of misguided protective maternal instinct I suppose. Or perhaps I thought, if nobody saw her, it wouldn't really have happened.

One friend came to the hospital. I was so glad to see her. She bought Jessica a present, a tiny, tiny dress labelled up to 2lbs on its size label. She gave me a 'congratulations, it's a girl' card. Just a flicker of normality in a world that had been turned on its end. I was so very grateful for that.

She told me something that I clung on to for months. Her husband was diagnosed with cancer when we were in our early twenties and underwent months of chemotherapy. She told me, during that time, she felt as though she had stepped sideways. As though she were moving in parallel to everyday life, just slightly outside the boundaries. She could still see her 'old' life, her job, worries about paying the bills, getting hair cuts, watching television programmes, fixing meals. But it was translucent or like so much dust. She was in a strange, new place where nobody could really follow her.

But she also told me that, one day, I would take the step back towards my old life. I'm still hopeful that I might because it's lonely here, in this sideways place, where I wage a futile battle against things that were decided a very long time ago. Where that old life and its concerns seem so very, very strange. Sickeningly so.

I tried to step back again.
But I can't remember which direction I took my initial sideways step in.
And I seem to have misplaced my feet.

27 comments:

  1. Catherine, so much of this rings true with me, you describe it so perfectly. I hope you, and I and all of us find our way back too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is exactly true, I know exactly what you mean although I haven't exactly experienced it over Freddie but I did over the death of a friend, long, long ago. I wonder if perhaps it is something you can't quite experience twice or if, having been there once, the doors never close.

    I wrote the other week about that other universe - I kind of referenced something from His Dark Materials, where Lyra and Will make a pact as they leave each other, to go to a place that exists in both their universes and sit there, so they can be together, separated by a universe only. I like the thought.

    There is another thing which you having had this awful thing happen on your first trip into motherhood, don't know perhaps. Which is that the days after you have a baby can feel really normal in a weird way, but you think everything is just how it is and it is only later, when you look back, that you can think "oh my, I was really off the wall for a while there." it's a strange disorientation which is I think, part and parcel of the fact that all motherhood shifts you into a new dimension. You never come back really, you move into a new, almost identical universe. But when something goes wrong, it never becomes quit normal and the time spent thinking about it makes it feel odd forever.

    Somehow, I know not how, you have to assimilate the abnormal and make it normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walking to the side of my life with you.
    This post was perfect in so many ways, especially the first two paragraphs.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt that too, the whole first year of it. And you wish you can go back time and time again....
    Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't remember either. It's like our lives are a rubix cube and we've twisted it in such a way that it wont ever go back. Not the same anyway. I hope we find our way.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow- sideways, that is it. I feel that way most of the time. The first few weeks after Jolene was born/died, I was not in my body, but outside it and it was like I did not know where my essence/soul/self was, instead I just watched my body move through the days trying to find out who I am now. WOW. thank you for that post. kb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sideways, yes. I feel like this even now, pregnant again and worried again.

    I hope there is a way back but I can barely remember where "back" is.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. i understand completely. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so good at articulating how so many of us feel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sideways. that's exactly it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Merry. I am sure you are exactly right. I was probably always quite likely to have gone a little 'off the wall' even if everything had gone as I might have wished. My health visitor actually said she thought I would have been in a worse way if I'd had the twins at term and they had been healthy. I didn't quite know what to make of that but still!

    It is difficult to untangle it all in my own mind, what reaction was attributable to what experience.

    I love your description of shifting into a new dimension. Motherhood certainly does that, I know that my experience with both my girls did and I think that all children, no matter how long they live, do. They make an irreversible change. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sideways is right. I think it gets better over time. It's not so much that you go back to the "old" you, it's more that the "new" you, the one that can simultaneously make a grocery list and remember exactly what the NICU smells like, becomes more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My gosh you're good :)

    I laughed a little when I read the end of this, not because it's particularly funny, but because I GET IT. I can so picture, and have experienced, exactly what you described. That's it!

    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Catherine, the way you describe your physical state in this post is so perfect and so right. You are a very, very good writer, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Cat... I hope that one day, we can all be so brave as to take a step and find our feet.

    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! That is exactly how it feels. There are far too many of us walking this way. I love your writing. You have such a way with words. xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. You always have such a way with words-- I always read and think "Yes!" and this is just another example of it. I've felt so disoriented and out of my own skin since July. I function quite find day-to-day and go about the usual, but it's just not the same as it ever was. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sideways is so apt an analogy, especially while we can take steps back towards our old lives, we will never get all the way back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the way you've put this, Catherine. I was just at a playdate with two local babylost mums last week and we were talking about that awful feeling of not being present - feeling outside your body or like a spectator. I wish we could all find the steps back to normal. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Catherine, as the others have said, you have captured something important about this life quite perfectly. I wonder if one ever gets back on that other track exclusively or maybe we continue to alternate?

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's coming on 5 years now. I still haven't quite found my way back to normal, but I truly idenitify with your post. This is one of the last poem's I wrote on Logen's Blog.
    After this I quit writing poetry. It just kind of dried up inside of me. Another change to cope with.

    Journey

    Grieving is a Journey
    It’s turning
    Off of one path and
    Stepping onto another

    Hard to believe
    How lonely I feel
    On such a
    busy path

    I can see where
    I used to walk
    Sometimes I’m so close
    I can almost step over to it

    But my grief
    Anchors my feet
    Firmly on the path
    Where I am now walking


    As I have gotten used
    To the hills and valleys
    Of this path and
    My stamina has returned and
    I can intersect with

    Other paths
    Joy, laughter, peace
    But I can’t leave this path

    It is mine to
    Walk.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love this analogy. to be honest, i'm not sure i believe your friend about one day stepping back towards the old life. so often that seems absolutely impossible. but i want to believe. maybe we never step back. maybe we step sideways again, on to a whole new path we never imagined before... much love... xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. We have quite a lot of Scaletrix track here and you can swap lanes on corners by pressing a button on your controller when you're on a lane change piece of track. Maybe that's how it is for us now. Maybe we do get back to the other track - sometimes. I can't imagine going back there permanently.

    (Sorry for the weird analogy! It's what came into my head as I was nodding and agreeing with this post.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I stepped sideways too ... after Freyja died. And maybe I could have stepped back again if Kees and Jet had not died as well. But my sideways step has diverged so much, it's gone a different way. I'm no longer sure that I can ever go back again. I don't think I can. My sideways step turned out to be a different path altogether. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I so TOTALLY get this. Thank you for writing this, I am sure so many of us relates!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope you find your feet again. I think you will, though I don't know when. I suspect they're not ready for you yet.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is so beautifully put, and exactly the way I fell too. I see my hands type on the keyboard, and my face in the mirror, and I just marvel that this is me. How could this be me if I'm not pregnant and I don't have a baby in my arms?

    ReplyDelete