Thursday 14 October 2010

Falling even further behind

One thing that I have learned from my attempt to write 30 posts in 30 days. 
I am not designed to blog every day. 
My attempt has been very feeble and I feel slightly ashamed but I don't want to give up. 
It might just be 30 posts spread over 130 days.

Day 4 - Your favourite book and has it changed since your loss?

I seem to have a strong affection for Canadian authors, most of favourites hail from that part of the world. Robertson Davies, Margaret Atwood, Carol Shields. My favourite books by these authors would have to be Fifth Business, The Robber Bride (with The Blind Assassin hot on its heels) and Various Miracles. I've read all of these books multiple times and they pop up in my inner world frequently. 

Since Georgina died, I feel a greater need for books to be 'resolved', like a perfect chord. 
I want to see the bad and evil get their comeuppances, I want to see the good rewarded. I don't like fates left dangling, threads loose. Too much like real life. 

My favourite book is Vanity Fair by William Thackeray and it hasn't changed. I started re-reading it whilst, unbeknowst to me, I was in labour with the girls. It came with me to the hospital. It sat with me in the NICU waiting room. I think I probably read it, or tried to read it, the evening of the day Georgina died. When it was finished, I started toting about The Way We Live Now by Trollope, another fail-safe favourite of mine.

I stopped my studies in literature when I was sixteen so please forgive me if I talk nonsense. What I like about these books is the echo in them, that humanity doesn't really change, people are foolish, greedy, loyal, clever, dishonest, kind, unkind. We have always been this way, we will always be this way. Nothing really changes except the participants.

As Jessica's NICU stay lengthened, I read all the Twilight books (except the final one, been told that it is slightly stinky so I might avoid), re-read all the Harry Potter books and read every single word ever written by Jilly Cooper. Now there's resolved for you, all is right with the world in Jilly Cooper land. Or it will be. And I don't care if that means I have to carry a book entitled 'The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous' with a half naked man on the front, whatevs, as Jess-Carter Morley would say.

I see it has also made a list of book entitled 'Awful Books I Would Rather Burn Than Recommend' on Amazon. Well, I would never burn a book on principle and, if you ever find yourself immersed in grief or the strange world of intensive care or a chemotherapy ward, I can't think of anyone I'd rather have holding my hand. 

I have also been immersed in the world of Outlander in recent times. The guy who sits next to me at work asked me what I was reading and I had to explain to him that it was a romance / time travel / fantasy set partially in Scotland in the 1700s. He looked at me as though I had just dropped down from another planet. Still, I can now use the word Sassenach with confidence.

Day Five - my favourite quote 

Hold your ground and take it as it comes, there's no other way.

from Philip Roth's Everyman

For a long time after Georgina died, I expected rescue. I thought that, somehow, somebody, would save her, would save me, would save her sister, would save my family. My own parents, the doctors, the psychiatrist, my husband. I looked to them all to restore her to me.  I almost reverted to being a child, expecting someone to come, swoop down on me, pick me up and tell me that everything would be okay. That we could fix this, that we could fix her. 

But slowly, it dawned on me that was not a possibility, it wasn't going to happen. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed sometimes. I think part of my mind came unhinged when Georgina died and flapped around for a while in the breeze. 

I knew I had to just put my head down and keep going. Just take it as it comes. Life, death and all the bits in between. Because there is no other way, no rescue. Just this plodding onwards. And, come the time, I knew I would be able to look up again. And it came. And I did.

***

Today my mum told me that one of her friends has prayed for me every day since Georgina died. She has been praying that I will fall pregnant with twins again. I'm not sure how that makes me feel, grateful and sad.

I find myself, unexpectedly but most welcomely, pregnant. It is not a twin pregnancy despite my mother's friend's kindly prayers. I went for a scan today and saw the tiniest baby, the tiniest heart. A flicker. A glimmer. An echo of another.
Elated and heartbroken. 

I want to do something, to protect, to ensure. 
I wish I could somehow transfer this pregnancy to another, less treacherous body. 
But all I can do is stand by, take it as it comes. And wait.

'Cracking asphalt under foot
Coming up through the cracks,
Pale green things
Pale green things."


33 comments:

  1. Pregnant? Oh Catherine. Oh. Oh my lovely friend I am so hopeful for you. So, so hopeful.

    Sending so much love.

    Preparing to read Georgina's name at midnight. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i must confess that i stopped reading after you said that you hadn't read the last twilight book! i need your address so i can send mine to you! you must. its not stinky, and weren't you just talking about closure? lol
    anyway glad as always to hear from you. im not meant to blog everyday either. i find i do write more when stressed.
    xoxo
    lis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I second that. You must read the last Twilight book... and I must look into this Outlander thing... sounds right up my alley.

    Now... Did you just very quietly, very gently say that you are pregnant???? Oh my lordy lord!!! Wow. I know we hate using the word 'congratulations' but I am so happy for you. I know its scary, I know you don't want to get your hopes up, I know this will be the most terrifying nine months of your life. But it's worth it and I am here walking with you on this journey.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine,

    This is wonderful news. I feel so happy and hopeful for you and this new little person.

    I'll be keeping all five of you in my thoughts.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. catherine! feeling happy and hopeful for you. hold tight. looking forward to reading your journey. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clinging to hope for you, I am so hopeful...hang in there sweet girl xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a long post, but I'm going to zero in one thing: the tiny flicker. May it continue to grow. Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness. Just about fell off my chair. Wasn't expecting that news in this post.
    Like Jess, so very hopeful for you. Excited, terrified, happy, anxious. That's how it rolls with these pregnancies after such a great loss.
    Holding you close my dear, sweet friend.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Catherine! Sending you love and hugs and a safe and healthy few months ahead.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. :) I've been waiting for that news from you!

    "I am not designed to blog every day."

    Eh, there are much worse things.

    Thinking of you (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. i did throw away a book once. it made me really angry. it implied that it was perfectly normal to have £10k in savings that you could use to set up your own business.

    anyway, and far more importantly, i'm so hopeful for you. i know you must be terrified and i will try and help you hold onto hope.

    thinking of you, your girls, and this tiny flicker of life.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let it be. A little flicker of hope and of life, I am so hopeful for you. Thank you for your kind comments. Kb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! I don't want to play favorites, but immediately after I lost Liam six months ago, your blog just fascinated me. I have always loved the beauty and honesty of your writing. I'm so so so happy for you!! It is strange for me that I've become so immersed in some blogs and I don't know you ladies but I thank you for sharing. It really has been a tremendous help for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Catherine..a little flicker? I'm so very very pleased for you. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Catherine, I have a little something I want to send to you through email... my address is homh@me.com if you would like to email me, I can send it your way?

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Willing you on and hoping so hard to follow you soon. So happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy for you and your little flicker, holding great hope, and here with you on this welcome but scary road

    ReplyDelete
  18. So, so very happy for you and your wonderful news!!
    Congratulations!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love margaret atwood and funnily enough i too read jilly cooper during harveys last days and after he died, so strange. your news of new life is wonderful but i completely understand your mixed emotions, sending love. anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. thinking good thoughts for you and your tiniest flicker :)

    PS i love outlander too!! absolutely one of my favorite series.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've tried to wrote a response a few times and it keeps coming out wrongly. So I am just sending lots of love and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lis - you're so right. Kind of contradicted myself there! I do have the last Twilight book, I just haven't opened it yet. If you say it's not stinky, I will read it!

    Sophie - definitely give Outlander a try if you like the sound of it. It was a recommendation from another blogger (the lovely Tracy at Mommicked) and I've really enjoyed them.

    Merry - really hoping for you too. So very, very, very much.

    Thank you so much everyone for your kind words. I'm so lucky to 'know' you all, to have parents who have already walked this road before me and those who know where I'm coming from. Thank you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. I lurve Margaret Atwood too ... and good old jolly Jilly is fab too!

    Thinking big, good, strong thoughts for you and your little Flicker. I'm crying (in a good way) at your lovely news.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Not designed to blog every day? No problem.

    Now, that last bit of news you posted? Little Flicker? Unexpected but most welcome news...I will think good thoughts and lots of love for little one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've been on the road and unable to get to a computer to leave the comment that this post deserves.

    Catherine W pregnant! And Outlander! In the same post!

    I'm sending all sorts of well-wishes to you and yours. Go little baby, go!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tracy OC- I hold you entirely responsible for that mad conversation I had to have with the bloke sitting next to me at work about Outlander. I swear he hasn't taken me seriously since!

    Thank you so much for your well wishes. xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pregnant! Oh how my heart sings for you. (HUG) Treasure every day. Don't expect the worst. Don't under estimate your ability to be as wonderful as we all see you are! Just keep being...the rest will follow.

    Love...
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  29. !!!!!!!!!
    How truly, totally, wonderful!!
    Congratulations, and I wish you much peace through this pregnancy. It's hard to find after losing a baby, but it will be there, if only for short moments. Cherish them. My 'after' baby is coming up on a year now, and I'm feeling rather nostalgic for those pregnancy days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. i did not read this post past the twilight part and it turns out that i should have.
    congratulations, my friend. i hope you didnt think i was snubbing you or the pregnancy. you can imagine my surprise when i read your post today! i am praying for you and the little sparkle in your tummy.
    im so very happy for you catherine!
    xoxoxoxo
    lis

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm coming so late to this, but I am crossing my fingers for your pregnancy and I am hoping it will be as uneventful and safe and happy as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Catherine, I'm so slow, and I've just read your more recent post about the bleeding, so I don't know what the state of play is at the moment but have all my fingers and toes crossed that your flickering little one has hung on and is thriving beautifully.

    So much love, xxxxh

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm just as bed at keeping up with the 30 days thing..I'm always behind.. in fact I've only just realised that your blog was not on my reader list!
    You should totally read that last Twilight book, if you liked the other you'll love it! Now might be the perfect time for trashy happy ending books. xxx

    ReplyDelete