Friday 7 January 2011

How terribly strange to be seventy

I've never dared to re-read many of the old posts on this blog. As I've said before, it seems to be quite a cyclical old thing. I know there are some pre-occupations that I keep returning to. One of these is the passing of time.

When Georgina died, something strange seemed to happened to time. Or at least to my perception of it.
It truly seemed to fall out of joint, askew. No longer neat sections of 24 hours, 365 days, one after the other.
Time seemed to stop when she died. Or at least part of that flow stopped dead. As though it were held back behind a dam.

Part of me is convinced that those three small days are still being played out somewhere, away out of my sight, by pale versions of me and my daughter.

Subsequent time seems to pass in fits and starts, achingly slowly or running past me so quickly that I can't keep up. I look at the physical evidence in Jessica, who grows according to the conventions of time, and can hardly believe my eyes, hardly believe the weight in my arms when I pick her up, hardly believe the small snatches of conversation that we can have. How can all that time have passed?

Before Georgina died, my own old age seemed terribly distant. When I was twenty nine, I could not imagine seventy years superimposed on my body. Now I am thirty one, seventy seems achingly close. Or as close as something I really have no conception of could ever be. Just a little slip away, a trip and a stumble and I'll be there.My Ouma always used to say, "Catherine my dear, old age has nothing to recommend it." I can still hear her voice saying that so clearly, although she has been dead for longer than Georgina has. I'll let you know if she was right when I get there, I'll probably still be wittering on here when I am seventy!

I am sometimes shocked to see my own face in the mirror. It seems, at once, older than I expect and younger. I feel mild surprise and shock that when Georgina died my hair did not turn white over night, that deep lines were not instantly carved into my face, that my bones did not immediately start to crumble. It felt as if all of those things should have happened. But she was born and she died and I just carried on getting older at the conventional rate.

When I am seventy, if I am lucky or unlucky enough to make it that far, I know I will still be thinking of my little baby. My child who tried so very hard. Who lived so very well. I hope that I will never lose that memory, it feels as though it should be one of the last to depart from me. Although maybe they don't leave in order of importance? Perhaps I'll only be left with memories of dresses that I wore as a four year old or something equally useless.

When I am seventy, Georgina might have been forty one. Jessica, if she lives, will be forty one. Strange that I have no idea what that forty one year old Jessica will be like but I feel that I have already spent hours in attempted conversation with my imagined forty one year old Georgina. She has already been all ages to me over the past two years. Probably because she will only ever truly be three days old. And where else can I go from there?

I have to use these imaginings to bind us together, to force a relationship from nothing, to make Georgina my daughter, my own. All those invisible filaments that extend between me and my own mother, joining us, those years, the shared experiences, the misunderstandings, arguments, reconciliations, bewilderments, the interest and love we share in my father, my own younger sister, Jessica. Those will never exist for me and Georgina. As though a mighty pair of scissors came down and went snip, snip, snip between us. Death will do that kind of thing to you. There is love and yearning and wanting and grief, grief, grief. On my side.

So I try to coax new growth from those snapped little lines that joined us. Those threads that dangle and that I so much want to attach a daughter to. My daughter. Georgina. Who knows if I have any success or if I am just anchoring myself more firmly to somebody that I have dreamt up?

Last night, Jessica wouldn't go to sleep. She cried and cried. When I tried to put her down, she extended her claws into what I fondly call 'the monkey death grip' which means I have to either rip my clothes or hair or pick her up. Very unusual for her. In despair, I finally took her to my own bed and we lay there, in the dark. I recited my rather limited selection of poems that I know off by heart. She looked at me. Her blue eyes looked dark and her hot little hand twisted bits of my hair around.
I thought, I know everything about her.
I thought, I know absolutely nothing about her.
Perhaps it isn't that different?
I felt that there might be another pair of dark eyes watching. But no.

17 comments:

  1. Time has fragmented here too. I'm still stuck in July 2009, or part of me is. The date on the calendar seems wrong, but looking around me everything is moving on, I know it is, I'm kinda catching up, but I'm always behind, never quite there. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful. So haunting. Sending so much love Catherine xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exactly right. I struggle to understand that I have memories since Freddie, when half of my day is still in April 2010.

    Last year.

    God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are still here when you're seventy.

    Damned scissors. I hate them.

    I sometimes get strange comfort from the thought that I left part of me, or a version of me, back with Teddy in the summer of 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect. Absolutely perfect account of the musings. Wow, I love your writing. Thank you so much for this gift. I am staring down the barrel of seven years without my daughter. She was born in 2004 on Jan. 13. I still muse how I look so young, yet feel so old and weathered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, absolutely. I could really relate to this.
    You really write so beautifully and this post was no exception.
    Thinking of you. Thinking of Georgina.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope we remember our daughters when/if we are seventy. I don't fear dying - I'm not ready to go yet because I want to see Ben and Lucy and Toby grow - but I'm not afraid when it is time. My daughter taught me that. What I fear is senility or dementia, anything that might tear the last shreds I have of her from me. I hope the important memories stay.

    Beautiful post, Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love reading your post, Catherine. They make me want to paint in this case a second set of dark eyes. You write beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still blink and cannot recall the passing of the past 4 months. Where did it all go?
    I think that I have aged 10 years in these months.. and I'm not quite sure I will ever get them back. I too believe that part of me went with Cullen- and I had to let it go- for that is the mother he took- the carefree, happy woman who never knew how much pain could truly cut so deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I am sometimes shocked to see my own face in the mirror." So true, so very true...

    The monkey death grip. We know that well around here too. Last night we had an experience with it. Finally, a too tired to fight babe passed out in my lap, but up until then, crazy monkey death grip madness... I often tell myself that, at some point, they wont want to cuddle so I will take this time for all it's worth... and then some.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too recognise the monkey death grip (good description!) and being stuck in October 2009. I also struggle with the passing of time and marvel at the fact that I don't look as old as I feel. I feel like I aged overnight, how could losing a child not have that effect on you? I do look older, but not old enough if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so familiar to me. I feel that other version of me with my other daughter, reliving our short time together. I wonder how different it really is from watching C grow up before my eyes, moving away from me more slowly but inevitably becoming a complete mystery to me. It's like I'm plugged into some central mothering memory bank and it makes me feel older than time.

    Hope you and yours are having an excellent 2011. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You totally nailed it with this...

    "I am sometimes shocked to see my own face in the mirror. It seems, at once, older than I expect and younger. "

    So true. Astonishing when I realize I'm not looking as old & spent as I feel. Amazed that I'm not all white yet. For whatever's sake, how can you not feel like 70 when you buried your child? Besides: nobody is ever old enough for that...

    I am right there with you... all the way till we're white-haired, walking-aid and all. Thanks for writing so beautifully. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never thought of my old age either. Never. I never thought of myself as old or getting old.

    Now, well time is just slipping away. I'm going to be 43 this year and it pains me. I don't know how it happened. It seems such a short time ago that I was in my 30's.

    And when I was pregnant I always felt young. Now I just feel old. Too old.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel so old now two. Aged ten years in one and a half, almost 2 now. Maybe because it has almost killed me, but since it didn't, I;m just aged from it.
    Hugs (())

    ReplyDelete
  16. You do have a way with words! ...haunting and beautiful writing and so many thoughts I can relate to.

    Just the other day as I looked at myself in the mirror, I thought, my goodness - when did ALL of those lines start to appear around my eyes when I smile? I guess at least I am smiling more now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. "I thought, I know everything about her.
    I thought, I know absolutely nothing about her.
    Perhaps it isn't that different?
    I felt that there might be another pair of dark eyes watching. But no."

    So beautiful, and just right, you have gotten it.

    ReplyDelete