Tuesday 28 June 2011

Did He Smoke?

My mother and I were discussing a mutual acquaintance the other day, a lady in her sixties. My mother said, "The sad thing about Mrs. X, is that she's still afraid of death. You mention in passing that a friend has died and she is hungry for details. She immediately asks, how old was he? Did he drink too much? Did he smoke? And then she'll pounce on the thing that did for poor old Mr. So and So."

Death will never happen to Mrs. X because she is coated in the death repellent Teflon of the righteous, of the non-smoking, of the tee-totaller, of the good woman. Death will try and grab her and those bony hands will just slide right off. And she will dance away, clicking her heels merrily into eternity.

Because if she can pin the blame on the poor unfortunate sod who died, if she can make death somebody's fault, then she can walk away free. Immortal. Untouchable. Forever.

Boy oh boy. Is she ever in for a surprise.

***

I've spent the last three days immersed in a book I've been looking forward to reading for a long time, Caitlin Moran's How To Be A Woman. In the interests of full disclosure, I should say that I love Caitlin Moran's writing and have done for a very long time. When I was a teenage, I had a scrapbook where I hoarded a few columns that she had written, clipped from my parents's newspapers.

And, as I expected I would, I loved her book. I laughed. At 4 in the morning. You have to be pretty funny to make me laugh at that time of day. And I laughed so much that poor old Reuben was hard pressed to keep hold of the nipple that he was trying to clamp on to for dear life.

But then I read this. About her own children.


I used to fear their deaths - The car! The dog! The sea! The germ! - until I realised it need never be a problem: on the trolley, on the way to the mortuary, I would put my hands into their ribs and take their hearts and swallow them, and give birth to them again, so that they never, ever end. I'll do anything for those girls.


Had she really thought this concept through? This intelligent, hysterically funny woman that I admire so much. And if she really thinks this, what does the rest of the world think? The stupider, less amusing majority.

Because I tell you what. I've got a new found respect for cars. And dogs. And the sea. And germs. And death. If you are not frightened of the deaths of your children, you are a bloody fool.

Because I know that you can only birth your children once. Just once. I know that in the marrow of my bones.
No matter how much you love them.
No matter how much you may believe your love matters.

I'm sorry but in the face of a car, a dog, the sea, germs, premature birth, leukaemia, sudden infant death syndrome or stillbirth, the feeling that you will do anything for your children means precisely jack shit.
I dearly wish it wasn't so.

But.

Your children can die. If they get too tangled up in any of the aforementioned I'm afraid that they will die.
None of this fancy, schmancy re-birthing crapola.

Believe me. I've seen one of my children die. And if I thought it would have made the slightest bit of difference I would have stuck my hands right into her ribs, taken her heart and swallowed it.

Against my better judgement and probably not without a slight wave of nausea I might add. But, Georgina my darling, I would have done anything. Even gut churning things like those suggested by Caitlin Moran. I would have cast any number of spells, sourced magical ingredients, prayed, pleaded or walked over the proverbial hot coals. For you. Anything.

But it doesn't work that way. To suggest it might, to even hint it might, makes me so angry.
So angry that I threw a book.
And I don't even like to break the spines of books as a general rule.

Still. I can thoroughly recommend the rest.

Apologies for my language. 
Being brought up by a father who frequently turned the air blue, I don't generally swear. 
But this issue, this peculiar denial, this belief that THEY live in some magical, protective anti Death bubble that carefully excluded me and Georgina. 
Well, that makes me as mad as a cut snake. And makes me swear a bit. Apparently.

18 comments:

  1. this: "to even hint it might"

    It's amazing how often you come across statements or implications that if you just love them enough, they will be fine. I never noticed it before, but now that I'm more attuned to it, there is this feeling. My guess is it's just an attempt to fake control where none exists, but really, what dead child's mother wouldn't give her all to bring him or her back. If that's all it took, why is there a hill in the mortality table during infancy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sweet innocence and naivete. Also not safe from death.

    It's the same mindset as miracles, this kid lives, so his parents deserved a miracle?

    Losing a child certainly shifts one's perspective on many matters, as you have wonderfully illustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sentiment is in the same vein as, "[Insert Baby Name Here] is such a fighter. (S)he has such a strong will to survive. " I hate those fucking statements. They make me want to say some very unfriendly things to the perpetrators of such comments. I mean really, to imply that one baby will live because they have a strong will to do so or because he/she is a fighter implies what exactly of the babies that die?
    The fact is that no one who hasn't lost a child has any real clue. Lucky them. They must have some sort of magic ability. That or a special relationship with God or such a strong will to never have anything bad happen to them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am continually amazed by people who make these kind of statements and seem to sincerely believe them to be true. It is like that saying which I have come to deeply hate: "that god never gives you more than you can handle." My general response is to ask the person "then how do explain fully booked psychiatric wards, since clearly lots of those folks in there were given more than they could handle?" I usually never get an answer, just a blank stare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like everyone should know this. Always. I want to share it on facebook so my friends will know. Death is not a punishment for the wicked, nor is life the gift of the righteous. Not on this Earth. Death is a constant, inevitable, and there is no shield against it. We can either live in that horrific denial like Mrs. X, or we can know that we have no control over the beast and live beside it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, yes, and more yes. Yes, Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are talking to a fan of the f-bomb over here so definitely no offense taken. And personally I am glad you threw the book.. I may have woke my entire house screaming in anger at such a sentiment. What an asshat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know those types. I just want to headbutt them. Though I never would. So instead it just makes me want to headbutt the nearest wall. Repeatedly.
    And wow, that author really struck a raw nerve with me. I think profanity was well justified here.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sort of getting to a place where I want to pat those people on the head and say something condescending, because that line of thinking is so childlike and naive. Their bubble has not been burst yet. We on the other side of the divide know very differently. I suppose in a way I envy their innocence but resent their stupidity, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Monique - I think I'm torn between wanting to pat them on the head and hit them over the head! I was just so bitterly disappointed to find this woman, who I admire so much, espousing this sort of nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's only the same thing as dead baby maths.

    Until you KNOW - you don't know. She doesn't know - and may she never know.

    If we did know, really know, that our children can die, we'd never start having them. If we knew they were irreplaceable, it would be way too much of a risk.

    Still, I've caught myself, a few times this last week, thinking that perhaps I can call another baby Freddie and pretend it never happened.

    And I KNOW.

    She was home educated by the way :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's such a comforting, popular thought, that if we love enough we can save the people we love. I want it to be true, and I understand wanting it to be true, and I understand how easy it is to fashion a belief out of that wanting. But the fact that it isn't true, not at all, still hurts me, which is why this sort of thing makes me so angry, too.

    I'm sorry you found such an ambush in an otherwise good book, and more sorry that you have the firsthand knowledge to recognize this sort of thinking as crap in the first place. (Your profanity is inspiring!)

    Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, THAT's what I should have done, swallowed her whole and birthed her again. Rats, I wish I'd known that then.

    Ugh. I don't know what's harder to take: the blissfully naive view, or being let down by a favorite author.

    Either way, "precisely jackshit" is exactly the correct terminology.

    Sending love. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's always "other people," isn't it? Who "lose" children, have such terrible luck. Until it isn't. And the rest of the world seems so, so very naive...because they are. It's ok to hate them for it. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can totally understand why this passage made you so angry.
    I'm probably the opposite of the women you write of...I am very afraid...probably too afraid (I'm trying to work on it)...of death, as I know from a miscarriage and the death of my brother (who was my best friend in the world) that it can happen at any time with no warning for no reason. We are never safe...and there's nothing we can do...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clenching my fist, raising it in solidarity. Yes. Yes. Catherine, you're a bloody genius.

    Because I tell you what. I've got a new found respect for cars. And dogs. And the sea. And germs. And death. If you are not frightened of the deaths of your children, you are a bloody fool.

    Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. What amazing writing from you and what utter crap from Moran.

    But, yes, there is such a lot of this sort of magic thinking out there and I never noticed before ... but I do now. Now that I'm someone who failed to ingest her daughter's heart to make her live again.*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  18. In my book you are well within your rights to cuss as much as you want to.

    This one... sad but true.
    "I'm sorry but in the face of a car, a dog, the sea, germs, premature birth, leukaemia, sudden infant death syndrome or stillbirth, the feeling that you will do anything for your children means precisely jack shit."

    Thanks.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete