Tuesday 2 August 2011

August

It's August again.

It's very hot here. Not much like England. The air feels like luke warm tea with one sugar. I smell like soured breast milk and sweat. The me of 'before all this happened' frowns in disapproval.

Jessica and I play in the back garden. She chases me with a watering can and I hide in pathetically undefended places. With my head wedged under my T-shirt. With my face hidden in the leaves of the next door neighbour's tree but the rest of my body sticking out.

Unsurprisingly, I got watered rather a lot this afternoon.

We have squelchy wet sand on a plastic mat, interspersed with stones stolen from her grandmother's rockery.
"All mudd-dee," croons Jessica, slopping the wet sand over her feet, "all mudd-dee."
"Yes, my darling. You're right. All muddy," I reply.

She chalks my big toe, blue. The remainder, orange.
I wonder what she makes of my adult toes.
I have ugly feet, a hammer toe on the third toe of right foot.
I remember looking at my own mother's body with my teenage vanity and wondering how it ever got that way. One day, Jessica will look at me that way. In her turn. Probably sooner than I would like to suppose.

Her latest medical report contains the word, remarkable. Remarkable.
I let out a breath I have been holding for a long, long time.
Yet, lobes in my lungs remains partially inflated.
Either not naive enough, or not quite ready, to exhale. Yet.
You'll jinx it don't you know?

I feel the scars on her feet. Little raised lumps.
For a child born as prematurely as she was, she is remarkably unscarred. Surgery only ever got as far as signed consent forms and desperate conversations with the consultant as to which anaesthesiologist had put his own son under.
Tiny stars dot her hands and feet. There is one larger, thicker scar on the join between her ankle and her foot. I'm ashamed to say that I am not even sure what this scar is from.

Sometimes I find myself rubbing Reuben's feet and wondering where his scars are.
Sometimes I find myself, in the blurry wee small hours of the morning, wondering how Reuben will feel about his dead twin.
In my dreams, babies only ever come in pairs.

My mother's next door neighbour comes round to return my car keys. I've left them in the lock of the boot. This happens more frequently than I would like to admit.

"Thank you so much," I say. "I don't know where my mind is these days."
Although that is a lie.

I have a memory of walking up my mum's drive and this lady, who I don't know very well, stopping me and saying that she was sorry. Sorry about the twins. And I flung myself at her, sobbing, "I lost her. I lost her."
We don't speak about that today. We never have.

She was so sweet. She just hugged me. What a kindness. In a world so very far from kind.

I lost her.

It's August. Once again.

15 comments:

  1. I am going to be glad for that "remarkable," am going to believe in it. Huzzah for Jessica, and for you!

    You capture August so well - the warmth, the strength of the memories, the strange juxtaposition of life moving forward and life not moving forward.

    Thinking of you and sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have said the same on Erica's blog. Even though August is not my month, I feel it's heaviness and the loss of Georgina and Teddy and Hope. I will be holding each of them and their parents in my heart.

    I am glad you found kindness in those early, raw days and I hope you find kindness in these muggy, tea and milk stained days too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes when I'm half asleep, I catch myself thinking of Ernest as "she", it's weird, I can't explain it. I just think our brains are still expecting them to be here.
    Thinking of you this August, and always. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. ((HUGS)) Catherine. You write so beautifully and capture the complexities so well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh August, not again. How can we be doing this again?
    Right there with you, my August friend (and you too, Erica).
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bloody August. Sending you love and strength to get through. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's really hard having everything rolled up into one. I have some thoughts rolling through my head on the topic of time. I'm thinking it's a big blessing that Aurelia died six weeks before they were born. To have no warning, to birth, to death all within the same few days or even a certain month equals hard on the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of you as you wade through the heavy and remarkable mix of this month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending lots of love to you as you navigate August. Your exchange with your mother's neighbor got me . . . oh. Lots of love is all I got.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't care how many years pass, I think anniversaries will always be hard. I'm thinking of you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thinking of you. Hugs...
    I always feel like I have nothing to add here as I've never been through what you have been through...I feel like it's put you on a much deeper plane...but I am always touched by your words, and so grateful to get to read them...

    ReplyDelete
  12. August. I just want to burn it to the ground.

    But then there's C and Jessica. And even though it wasn't supposed to be August for either of them, we have to give thanks for them somehow...sometime.

    Best to you. Lots of peace and strength as you find your way through.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yet again I don't know what to say. So, instead, I'm sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thinking of you and your beautiful Georgina, your remarkable Jessica, & your little Reuben.
    I smiled thinking of your blue and orange toes, and the familiarity of the feeling that I could be better groomed, dressed, cared for, etc, myself.
    Your writing continues to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Im so sorry I am late to this post.

    The woman in the driveway who hugged you... oh this has me in tears because I am feeling that feeling of raw loss and it is like a punch in the stomach. I wish I could give you a hug.

    xx

    ReplyDelete