Tuesday 14 February 2012

Ch-ch-ch-changes

I resigned from my job last week. The job that I have worked in for the past nine years. That I started when I left university. When I got engaged, when I got married, when I fell pregnant with the twins, when the twins were born, when the twins were alive, when Georgina died, when Jessica lived, when I fell pregnant with Reuben. The job with the toilets. I've always had my job. No matter what else. Like a strange numerical spine. Composed of crunching the life events of others into vertebrae.

And now it's gone. I have another. But I'm sad to leave.

Whilst doing a bit of a file tidy up, I found a picture, taken at work in 2007. That distant land. I've cropped it so I don't end up publishing photographs of my innocent colleagues on the internet.

But this photograph. Gave me pause.This photograph is of . . . . me? Me holding a helium balloon with confetti on my desk? Really? Strange. It was only taken five years ago.

I've been trying to write a summary of who am I now. A bit of variation on the 'right where I am' post. But it's hard to summarise the differences between the person in the photograph and the person I am now. So much has changed. It is a little like trying to disentangle what they call in my line of work 'inherent variation' - the level of 'statistical noise' within a system - and that which is 'unwarranted' - which indicates that something untoward is going on. Otherwise known as special cause variation. I try to imagine me aged five years onward, without Georgina dying. With no unwarranted variation, no special cause. Just older, a 32 year old me with no dead child, still no knowing what the acronym NICU stands for. And I have no idea what that person would be like.

I am different. I am older. I would have looked older if Georgina hadn't died. If, in some strange alternative world, I'd just had two normal, healthy pregnancies resulting in two children.

I am 32, not 27. I'm around 10lbs heavier. I have crows feet around my eyes and bags underneath them. Nobody is going to buy me a drink in a bar. Maybe through charity. I'm a mother of three, two daughters, one son. I am hunched from carrying a splintery, grey bundles of grievances around with me. I have a golden, spiky happiness that digs claws into my heart. I have a pain in one knee that wasn't there before. I don't know what I'm doing. 
At 27 I felt like a fool. 
At 32, I know I am a fool. 
From largely unconscious incompetence to conscious incompetence. And it's only taken me five year to make the progress.

I am bewildered. More bewildered now than I ever was five years ago. Looking back, looking forward. Even simply just looking around this present day. Dumb, staring, slack jawed bewilderment. My epitaph - 'Here lies Catherine W, she was bewildered.' Or possibly that should read, 'she was Bewildered.'

I look at this woman and I think, "who the hell are you?" Five year is a long time. I would quite like to go back and say, "Hey. You. Bubblehead. Look out." Or, "Winter is coming." Or simply, "duck."

As if ducking could have helped.

And I have a horrible feeling that 'Catherine W aged 38' will think the exact same thing about the me of today as I write this. So, for the record, from me at 38 to me at 32, "Hey. You. Bubblehead. Look out." Because I don't know what is coming yet. But it's in the post, something good, something bad, all wrapped up in mystery packaging and with no tracking number. And I will probably, inevitably, be underprepared.

At 27, I thought that the person I would become was a matter of my choosing. I think I fancied myself a  existentialist. Probably a fairly facile one as I'm certain my understanding is limited. At 32, I feel as though I am hardly a person at all. Just a rock, the left overs of environmental processes, wind and rain batter away at me and I'm just the scraps.

I think about Georgina all the time. I don't remember what I thought about before I thought about her. Sometimes I feel certain that my brain was full of philosophy and literature. At others, I feel certain that my brain was full of diet plans and mascara. It was probably somewhere in the middle. It was most likely a strange mishmash of both.

And I think about all different Georginas. As though she has been put through a fractional distillation column. My many Georginas, my many babies, my many first borns. Ghost upon ghost. Heated up and evaporated. Rising up to meet me.

I think about the little baby that she was, the blue eyes that she had, the hand that squeezed my finger, the body that I held. The body that was burnt to the ashes that I had keep in my wardrobe.

I think about the daughter that she could have been, the toddler, the teenager, the young woman. Sometimes indistinct, wishful thinking, wistful thinking. Sometimes I think I see something sharp. Viewed through a very small lens. Like a pin hole, refracting back very bright sunlight. The person that the first fraction would have become, the fraction I grasped briefly, had that initial distillation not been set aside.

And Georgina, the mystery. The mystery. Of why? Why?
Why was her life so short?
Why her?
Why me?
Who was she?
Who was that?

And these lines come to me.

and he walked straight in. It was where he had come from
and something told him the way to behave
He raised his hand and blessed his home
and the truisms flew and perched on his shoulders
And a tall tree sprouted from his father's grave.*

Because I do return to where I have come from. From ignorance to ignorance.  My own closed eye pressed up against my own closed eye in a mirror. It's a recurring image in my thoughts. Ignorance meeting ignorance. Or perhaps my eyes are screwed up against the world I now no longer want to see?

Because what I thought as a child . . well, I still think now. How do they stand up, all those grown ups? How can they carry all those bags and heavy coats? How do they stand up with all those grievances on their backs, digging splinters into their backs, knowing that death is coming? Why do they not all run mad?

But I didn't see the golden spiky creatures, clawing at around about heart level.
And I didn't realise that those trite phrases, the truisms that once so annoyed me, that seemed to duck the issues. They are all that is propping us up. Some of us, tall as trees to my child eyes, are held up by the explanations my parents once extended to me.

It is what it is. Life isn't fair. Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.

Circularity. The tree sprouts.

And sometimes that is a comfort. And sometimes it is bitter. That this is . . . all there is?

It is what it is.

* These words are taken from The Truisms by Louise MacNeice. I promise I do read other poets. Very occasionally.

25 comments:

  1. I picture you in a winged helmet, bubblehead...in my imagination you may also be wearing a cape and carrying some sort of staff/scepter that represents hard-earned wisdom.

    Knowing what you don't know and can never know might be the point of all of this.

    But, I know what you mean. And I wonder why I was ever in such a hurry to grow up.

    This is so beautifully written Catherine. And 'winter is coming'...you're cool. When we meet some day, I will buy you a drink and it won't be out of pity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Winter is coming' - I'm thinking of getting it printed on business cards so I can hand them out to people who look too carefree. The poor old Starks, even being forewarned didn't seem to do them much good.

      One day I hope that we will meet up for that drink Tracy.

      Delete
  2. I can no longer envisage the me I would have been at 36, had Emma not died. I'm not even convinced there is a version of me like that out there in some weird sci-fi multiple universe thing. Emma's death is such an immutable "fact" in my life now, I lack the imagination to see an alternative.

    And, for what it's worth, the Catherine I see through this blog is intelligent and literate and poetic and writes hauntingly, powerfully and clearly about her daughter and her daughter's death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jill. You are very kind and it means a lot coming from you. I don't suppose that I truly believe in multiple universes either but I can't seem to stop imagining. Like prodding a bruise.

      Delete
  3. An old colleague/friend of mine recently found three photos of me from my old job, just before I got preg with Hope and she forwarded them on to me as she thought I'd like to have them. Truth be told I had completely forgotten they were ever taken. It was like looking at a complete stranger. I will have to send them to you. But this photo reminded me of those photos, very much.
    We are the same age and have travelled a similar sort of path to find ourselves here with one boy, one girl to our names with one girl missing. It is a confusing place to be, that's for sure.
    And if I could go back in time, I don't know if I'd like to hug that girl in the photos or slap her. Or both. Probably both.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. " I thought that the person I would become was a matter of my choosing."

    --- This thought has been slapping me in the face everywhere i go lately. It's a thought that so many people have. One that Oprah's marketing skills with "The Secret" made spin out of control.
    "Our thoughts manifest into things in our life." Nope. i could spit at such a thought and when one of my girlfriends hinted towards this line of thinking in regards to Truman and I- i quickly corrected her before she jinxed herself.
    All we ever wanted was our healthy and happy babies and NEVER manifested their loss. I would have warned myself from another lifetime, in some way.

    Anyways. I love this post.
    As for your job- onward, upward and good luck. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine, this is just so beautifully written (as always). I want to pick it all apart and say "oh yeah, and this bit...and this bit...and THIS bit".
    What sticks out the most is not remembering what you were thinking before you were thinking about Georgina. So true. I try, often, but can't for the life of me remember who I was 14 months ago. It's like a lifetime ago. It's like many past lives ago.
    Also sticking out is 'it is what it is. Life isn't fair. Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone', especially the last sentence. I'm feeling that so much lately with people I know who haven't lost a baby. It's like they can't hear about it any more. I was talking about the directions hearing the day after it happened (this past Tuesday) and right in the middle of it, the person I was talking to pulled a pamphlet from her bag and started talking about THAT, completely changed the subject. Weep and you weep alone could not have been a truer statement in that moment, which makes me weep even more.
    A fool you are not. I think you're amazing Catherine.
    Oh, and now I have ch-ch-ch-changes (David Bowie) on replay in my head. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh the 'old us' photos. I actually started a project on my blog (face tab) where I *try* to get a photo a month of just my face. I have ones from before Cullen's death and to watch the change is pretty striking. Anyhow we are certainly changed.. and it is of course evident in our faces.
    I hope you are enjoying the transition to a new job.. keep us posted. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good thoughts to the new job!

    And as always, thanks for writing. You convey so much so well that it just blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No surprise; I must be in an "escaping" mood. (Obviously.)

    The first thing I thought was, "GOOD! CATHERINE W. ESCAPED!"

    (One job, at least. Who knows whether the next one will be better or not...I do hope!)

    I keep thinking about that island you mentioned, where we could all go to float and talk and eat and be in the same place. Can everyone quit their jobs/lives and we'll all meet there? For at least a month?

    Being where people make sense and talk about things they seem to have gotten out of my brain (and understand better, so they help drag me along) and aren't full of horseradish or powdered sugar...I want that.

    During the island trip, I'd like to listen to all your posts, read by you. If you could start work on recording them? :)

    Because you're so bored and recording your posts will help fill the time. Sigh. Oh, to be bored.

    As usual, I loved this. Are you sure you aren't supposed to be a writer? Or a therapist? I swear I couldn't pay anyone to make better sense out of my head than you.

    Where's the off-ramp,

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A writer, most certainly not. A therapist, possibly? If I could stop myself from turning my therapy sessions into being all about . . .ME! Ha ha ha ha! Some of my posts were 'written' when *ahem* talking to myself in the car. Because I have to multi task if I want to blog AND sleep! Then I try and type out what I said, with varying degrees of success. So perhaps I should just fit a webcam in my car and you can have my posts in all their unedited glory with occasional stabs at the brakes and sighs at the state of driving (other people's and my own!) Cause that's really what ANYONE needs!

      My husband told me he bought some lucky dip lottery tickets last night so who knows?! Perhaps our island vacation is closer than we think!

      Delete
  9. I hope the new job is a good one, a good fit.

    When I was very young, I would write "Take me," backwards, in the frost on my bedroom window. I'd climb into bed hoping (rather heartlessly, in retrospect) that Peter Pan would see my message and take me off to where I'd never have to grow up. There are parts of being an adult that I rather like, but there are so many days when I think my younger self was prescient and wise, wiser than I was in 2008, wiser than I am now.

    Spikes and splinters - hard to carry and so often impossible not to. Thinking of you and Georgina and hoping the next five years are mostly gentle, that there's not so much to duck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about the young Erica writing that on her window ever since I first read this comment. Yes, I can't shake the feeling that I was wiser as a child.

      Delete
  10. Really insightful and beautiful as always, Catherine.

    "Why do they not all run mad?" Actually, I think I have gone mad. Completely deranged and mixed up, like my brain has been scrambled. It's difficult for me to think, and my memory is absolute crap.

    Your picture is lovely, and I know what you mean about all the changes. I see a definite difference in my face as well--a deep sadness, a sagging, a dullness that wasn't there before. And I recently commented on this change in my husband, too. Looking at old photos of him just breaks my heart because he looked so happy and carefree back then.

    Thank you for sharing, and good luck with your new venture. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I look back at myself through the years, before Braedon,during and after. The thing is I knew at 25 what an idiot I had been before. I knew at 30 looking back again what an idiot I had been before. At 35 I know I am forever an idiot. Maybe I can do numbers in my head and maybe I have compassion but I am and always will be that person who looks back and thinks who was I and what was I thinking.

    We are forever changing and growing while still holding on to what we were yesterday. The old us, intermingled with the new us and the us that we will be.

    I have to wonder if by changing jobs you are going to find a new form of healing. Away from the toilet you cried in. Away from some of the pain prehaps.

    I am looking forward to you writing about this new journey you are beginning.

    As always your words are thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's strange to think back to who I was 5 years ago... naive, completely different perspective, and totally sold on the notion of "Life is what you make of it"... Oblivious to the random life altering events that can hit at anytime.

    I am so changed now. Totally unrecognisable. I'm grateful for the focus on the important things in life, but was it worth the price? Never. Does this knowledge make things easier or better? No. But it may make me treasure the good moments in life, and sift out what is actually worth worrying about and what isn't (how many hours of my youth did I spend needlessly fretting about a spot on my chin / an overdue essay / a silly boy I had a crush on...)

    As for the future, will these changes arm me any better for what is to come? I doubt it... Like you, I imagine I'll be wearing my "Bewildered" badge for many years to come, hoping for gentler days, but bracing for the sledgehammer too. As you said, the move is simply "From largely unconscious incompetence to conscious incompetence."

    Good luck with the new job... What is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me feel a little bit ill when I look back and tot up how many hours i spent worrying about having a spot on my chin! Argh! Bubblehead that I was!

      Hmmm maybe I should get "Bewildered' badges made up. Then all of us bewildered souls would at least recognise one another if we happened to pass in the street.

      The new job is a minor variation on the old job. Still healthcare, still statistics. Just a slightly faster moving field. Probably hardly classifies as 'new' really!

      Delete
  13. Winter is coming.

    Oh yes.

    Ps, I'd buy you a drink in a bar. And love you for your bags and crowd feet. You got me through 22 of my toughest months with your thoughts and writing and lovely comments.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, two offers of a drink. And from Merry and TracyOC no less! Thinking of you and your boys often Merry xo

      Delete
  14. Gorgeous piece here Catherine, on so many levels. There is so much here I've read it through three times.

    Sometimes I look at the last picture taken of me before M died. It mostly makes me sad, to think of all that innocence, all of that spirit and initiative, all but drained out of me. But sometimes, I think, "good riddance" to my former self, because there is no going back now. A new life is emerging.

    It is what it is. I think I might echo these words ten times a day.

    They remind me of Bukowski's The Laughing Heart:

    Your life is your life.
    Know it while you have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that poem. Because our lives (in their current state, like it or not) are all we have? And if we don't know it whilst we have it, what are we left with? Because there is no going back, no reversal.

      It makes me sad to think of that last picture of you too. Especially in the cases of people who lost their children after Georgina died, like you and K, I just wish I could have protected you somehow, stopped it happening? Delusions of God-like grandeur there and wishful, wishful thinking.

      Delete
  15. First, I hope your new job brings you fulfillment and joy :)

    Second, yes to all the rest of this wonderful post. We had maternity pictures taken the night before Calla died--well, the night before we found out, I guess. And it is so very hard to look at them. I feel like those pictures captured the last day of my old life. There we were, smiling blissfully and, truth be told, trying to hide our annoyance because I'd scheduled them late and our then-18-month-old was not cooperating.

    Five years ago? I'd tell her to duck, too. And to please be quiet about all baby-related topics, specifically birth plans, dietary guidelines and sleep habits.

    Love to you and your beautiful family.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, thanks for putting in words of how i feel to. I found it reassuring to read your blog, but also all the comments, to this feeling that i cannot rememebr anymore who i was before lennon's accident and that none of us recognises the women we were before. I was recently trying to explain exactly this feeling of not recognising my pictures anymore to a friend, but she didn't really understand. It just seems that i was terriby naive and ignorant to the fact that one's life can be completely destroyed in a matter of seconds. I mean, we all kind of knew that in theory this could happen, but to experience such trauma and knowing that these things really do happen is a completely different cup of tea. I do wish myself back to that naive woman that i was, yet i also have come to the decision, that if there is still a choice for me to be made, then i want to take this knowledge and live with it in the honour of my precious son,

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on the new job, it sounds refreshing in a way to start again... but also sad.

    Your words are always so beautiful and so thought provoking. I always want to delve into it but I just feel like a stammering ninny next to your words. Just know that I relate, so very much. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. "I don't remember what I thought about before I thought about her."

    No clue.

    x <3 o

    ReplyDelete