Wednesday 21 March 2012

Border

Guess when I am writing this post? Reuben's nap-time.
It transpires that Reuben's nap-time is actually the only time there is for writing blog posts. So I'm going to have to do a bit of back pedalling.
But it doesn't matter.

I want to write this blog as a way of marking Georgina's position in my life and in my family. Jess described writing as a type of mothering once and that has stayed with me. These words are how I mother Georgina, and they are recorded in the only place that accepts her, this strange, half lit world of the internet.

And my mothering is far from perfect.

If it were a blog, it would not be a perfect blog, full of witty remarks, accurate spelling and deep thoughts.

If I were mothering Georgina, a hypothetical living and breathing Georgina, there would be days when we would fall out. When she would get cross and upset with me, when she would punch me in the throat and I would feel she was being unreasonable. We'd fall out. She'd sit on the floor sulking and refusing to speak to me and I'd go and cry guilty tears in the kitchen. Heaven knows that Jessica and I have had days like that, cross-throat-punching-guilty-tears days.

We also have twirling-bouncing-smiling days. But even then, even then, I notice that I am sometimes gripping her shoulders a little too tightly. As though she might slip away into the dark without me. Some days those scars on her hands seem to shine at me more brightly. As my husband says so perceptively, 'Catherine, you are just not the 'getting over it' type.' And I'm not. I hope that the children don't notice.

They tuck you up your mum and dad don't you know. Except with an f rather than a t.
I will do my own fair share of tucking up. It is inevitable. 

So Georgina, Jessica and Reuben. My dear, dear loves. Please know that I am trying my best. It's not perfect, it's far from perfect. Sometimes I feel I'm only running damage limitation. Occasionally I do something I'm proud of, more often I'm left wishing that I could start over. But I can't.

Whether I'm desperately trying to figure out why you are screaming in my face (Reuben) or to figure out why you are punching me in the throat (Jessica) or trying to write you a love letter that makes some sort of sense (Georgina), I'm trying. I want it to be right, to minimise the whole tucking you up thing. But, show me a human that's never tucked up a bit? Ok ok, except for you Georgina, you never got a chance to try.

***

In real life, that hazy place, I have very few friends who have lost a baby. But strangely, I do have a friend who lost a baby under very similar circumstances to those in which Georgina died. Very early birth, survived for a few days, became sicker and eventually had life support removed, dying in the arms of his mother.

We sometimes meet, in cafes, in pubs. We often talk about the experiences that we have in common, doesn't everyone? I suppose that is the basis of most friendships, that upwards glance that says 'I recognise you. We have been in the same place, you and I."

But the experiences we have in common are difficult ones. Sometimes I catch people listening to our conversations. Once, I looked up and caught an older woman listening in. She looked repulsed and disturbed. I wanted to go over to her table and say, "Well, that is what you get for eavesdropping. Anything you would care to contribute?" But I know that I am guilty of eavesdropping myself on occasion. Even to the sacred, to the last gasps. And so I remain in my seat.

And this is where I am currently struggling. Because I have forgotten or misplaced where the border lies. Between acceptable and unacceptable. Between talking and that dread word, particularly frightening to the English perhaps, over-sharing. Even typing 'over-sharing' sends a shiver down my spine.

As  I have said in the past, I babbled on about Georgina quite happily for almost a year after she had died. Because it never crossed my mind that this was odd or might make other people think that I was crazy with a capital C.

But, somewhere along the line, I became scared of the opinion of others. The line between appropriate and inappropriate had, apparently, completely disappeared and that I've been struggling to relocate it ever since.

Now I'm not at all certain where to draw the line, in some arbitrary place that might not match up with that which is marked out by the world at large. It's particularly difficult at work, where I am putting in quite a bit of effort to maintain a professionally bland exterior. Not hard. People forget easily the Catherine W. of 2008, with her little belly. The Catherine W. of 2010 with her red eyes and frequent dashes for the office door. With that tiny, dead, cold, unspeakable weight around her heart. Still there if you look closely enough. But I don't expect them to remember those people, I'd rather that they didn't to be honest.

But now, I worry that I have over stepped. I enquired after a colleague's father's joint replacement the other day. He'd told me the story of the operation after a meeting the week previously. And he seemed disconcerted that I had asked. He twice said, "it's very kind of you to remember."

And I wondered if I have become the hovering bird of ill omen, who only remembers hospitalisations and deaths.

My exterior goes quieter and quieter. Neutralising myself into a quiet shade of beige. My make up is applied more thickly, retouched at lunch time, my clothes more carefully ironed. I only join in conversations about comparative car ugliness, division of domestic chores. Small words. Not marriage. Not babies apart from the coo-ing and congratulations that pre-2008 me was genuinely good at.

But my interior starts to roar. Compensating for all the damping down on the outside. I sit and stare out of the window and miss my girl. And I wonder what this all means.

If we are all of us sitting here, in our office, with internal roars, screams, shouts, cries. Desperately trying to stop our heads twisting off with the sheer amazement of it all.

Because now, everything seems a wonder to me, my office job, my feet on the ground, my lungs, my thirty two years of life tucked up under my heart.

Am I alone? Or are we all editing ourselves down to small words? I wish I could ask but I don't know any of my colleagues that well. Despite having sat in their close proximity for the majority of my waking hours for close to a decade.

Part of me thinks, where's the point in that? All the editing and squishing and squashing. Biting our tongues. Minding our manners.

Part of me thinks, well, life would be intolerable if we all of us went about roaring at one another all the time. Conversations about comparative car ugliness are what makes life unbearable and bearable all at once.

Sometimes I think that this place isn't where I'm supposed to be.





17 comments:

  1. I don't know Catherine, but I do know that losing a child changes you forever. Forever. Not for 1 year, or 2, or 10. Forever. The you you are now is not the 2008 or 2007 you. You will never be that person again. I'm still relatively closer to my loss than you are but I think that people are just going to have to get to know the new you, as a seperate person from pre-2008 Catherine. Does this make any sense?

    Love,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sometimes I think that this place isn't where I'm supposed to be."



    I think that all the time. About work. About this state. About this society. Sometimes about this life in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nika M. I often describe myself as adrift or misplaced or lost or left behind. I just don't seem to be where I'm supposed to be. Although I have no idea about where I should be either. Sigh.

      Delete
  3. "Part of me thinks, where's the point in that? All the editing and squishing and squashing. Biting our tongues. Minding our manners. Pretending. Imaginative play. Without the play."

    Yes, without the play.

    It isn't the roaring I'm after. I roar enough in my head. It does me no good there, either.

    It's the connecting with like-minds who no longer care - at all - about car ugliness. Or a whole lot of other things that pretended to matter before.

    Read this week: Grief is a chasm. Once we cross over, we cannot go back. Those who have not crossed judge us "obsessed" with topics they are trying to avoid. We find them "obsessed" with avoiding truths they would rather not know.

    We have no choice. Maybe they don't either.

    Tired of minding and biting,

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they do. I'm always trying to imagine myself back on the other side of the chasm but I honestly can't remember much about that other woman who I know was me. Monique once told me to (mentally) pat them on the head and think to myself, "aw how sweet, you don't know yet." It was good advice and I do try.

      And yes, I don't particularly want to roar aloud myself either. That time has passed. Just quiet conversation about things I care about.

      Delete
  4. This, like everything you write, is just beautiful. You clarify so much of what I feel- I especially identify with the "oversharing" first year. I am just a few months out from that point, and I have begun to realize that not everyone wants to hear about my Bea, 24/7. (Although I can't figure out why.... I think of her 24/7, and it's lovely.)

    Thank you, once again, for sharing your feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so timely for me right now. A good friend just lost one of her twin boys,born at 28 weeks. When she let everyone know he died, I called and left a sobbing voicemail for her. And then texted her apologizing for the crazy message. And then we talked and all I could do was tell her I was sorry and cry.

    But I feel strange, like I'm overdoing it. Like my reaction to her son's death has more to do with me than it actually does. And I feel like I'm slipping into crazytown.

    Anyway. I don't know if this response has anything really to do with what you so beautifully wrote, but what you wrote made me feel less alone and less wackadoo. Thank you.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Beth, I'm so sorry to hear of your friend's loss of her little son. I think I know what you mean, that fear of overdoing it somehow. It is as though I have somehow lost the ability to react 'normally' - but then, when I consider some of the 'normal' reactions I've encountered, perhaps that isn't really a great loss?

      And many is the time I've read your words and felt less alone and less wackadoo. Glad I could return the favour on this occasion xo

      Delete
  6. I think, especially in the UK, we have a knack for talking without really communicating... without connecting. Sometimes I think that although we're worlds away from a Jane Austen novel, we still operate according to a social code: suppress your roaring. And if you try to break that by, for example, talking about something other than happy things, the weather, or the condition of the roads, you are, as you say, labelled crazy with a capital C. It's horribly lonely and isolating. And I find I don't have much energy for it these days. I just can't seem to go back to the time when that sort of interaction was easy.

    My therapist was saying that the people who can still really talk and connect with you after losing a baby seem to be the ones who have experienced a similar loss, or some other similar level of pain - those who haven't, just can't seem to sit comfortably with someone experiencing such grief. The unfortunate few. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm yes the UK. It's an interesting place to live! I always feel as though everyone else was born with a rule book that I simply wasn't given.

      Delete
  7. Mary Beth, your empathy, tangled as it may be in personal grief - I'll bet it means the world to your friend. And will continue to do so, in the unfolding days.

    Catherine W: I keep thinking about your husband saying, "You're just not the 'getting over it' type." Hopefully that was meant as a compliment. [Not bashing your husband, or meaning to.]

    Does anyone expect you to get over loving, thinking about, mothering Jessica and Reuben?

    Why Georgina?

    I know you won't, ever. I'm glad.

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Philip Larkin. That poem was so much more fun when I was in college and now it haunts me with all of its blunt truths. We do what we can to minimize the tucking up and hope it's enough, I guess.

    I keep searching for a balance between the roaring and the penting-up. I think that, in my society at least, a balance isn't encouraged & that public opinion is not especially pro-roaring. Which bothers me a lot more these days with women's health and issues about birth being constantly tossed around in my country's political arenas with very little concern as to the very real and relevant feelings of families and doctors. I worry that we've been trained, perhaps we women, especially, not to dwell (certainly not verbally) on anything embarrassing or unpleasant. Like fertility, or infertility, or miscarriage, stillbirth, or neonatal death. And in the space of our (publicly acceptable) silence, people who are less personally invested and experienced are trying to fill up that space with easy rhetoric and bids for power and control.

    Sorry for the political ramble. I worry about the line-crossing, too, but I'm starting to think we'd be better off - eventually - if more people crossed more lines. Not that I'm brave enough to cross those lines (intentionally, anyway) myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone sent me a link to Larkin's Aubade the other day and it made me laugh my head off for some peculiar reason! Perhaps, like Morrissey, he is either deeply funny and sad at the same time or else, I don't understand him at all.

      I am in complete agreement about the political context and being trained 'not to dwell' whenever I think about my girls I will seem to have the word 'improper' spring into my mind. Not done properly or in a womanly fashion because I couldn't carry them to term and because, now I refuse not to dwell on it. Interesting.

      Delete
  9. I am an introvert - I was ever thus but since 2008, it has developed into full blown anti-socialness. Because I don't go out to paid work, I have the choice to stay inside with the toddler and the internal roaring - and I do generally. I'm starting to go out more because Toby needs it (a bit of tuck avoidance from me, if you will!) but I do find the banality of the conversations at play groups, when I know there is so much more under the surface for everyone, gruelling. Even though, I know it has to be like that because what would we do to our children if we all sat at the play dough table and told it how it was? I don't know where the balance lies either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All human beings are tucked-up-with-an-f. And a little Crazy, too. Although, I feel more than a little these days.

    How we define what's acceptable or not largely depends on our culture or sub-culture, and Western culture in general seems to value stoicism and maitaining a "stiff upper lip." I don't know, maybe it's important for survival, but I do find the expectation tiresome sometimes.

    I alternately keep things close to my chest, so to speak, and then seem to explode with over-sharing. Expanding and contracting, expanding and contracting, like a big Hoberman sphere. Oh, well. And like fireflyforever, I also find banal conversations gruelling. That's a perfect description. When I'm in those situations, I usually just sit there silently with my eyes downcast. Not very good company to people who are most comfortable with light chit-chat, I'm afraid.

    No, you are not alone--we constantly edit ourselves. I do think that "line-crossing," like erica wrote, is important in some ways, but not all ways. How's that for wishy-washiness? The thing is, I used to know someone who lacked a filter between his brain and his mouth, and it was ugly. But he was an ugly person, and you are not, so there you go.

    Thank goodness for Reuben's naps because it's always good to hear from you. I wish I could nap, but I can't even sleep at night without some sort of medicinal sleep aid.

    It feels like this is a place none of us are supposed to be, dear Catherine....Because the world feels so alien without our babies. Love to you, and to Georgina, who should have been given a chance to get at least a little tucked up. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have had some friends say that it was not just having a baby die that changed me, but that it was becoming a mother in general that changed me and that I would never have been like the Sally of 2007 or early 2008 again anyway. But I think they are wrong, and I think it is easy for them to say, over on the other side of the fence where the grass is greener and all the children are alive. Having Hope (and having her die) obviously fundamentally changed me. Inside and out, top to bottom. Sure having the living kids changed me again, but not in that same way. And like Jill I never went back to work, so I can hide inside a lot of the time and keep my crazy to myself. There are only so few people who really get me now, and I'm thankful for the internet because I know you all do.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find it quite depressing that people wouldn't appreciate you remembering hospitalisations and the like. I would be touched that you not only remembered but took the time to ask.

    I hope that by you talking about your Georgina for so long that you have tought those around you that those who are grieving need to talk. At least some of them, the ones who were genuinely clueless rather than actively insensitive :/

    ReplyDelete