Thursday 10 May 2012

Wise old owl

He seems like a nice chap. Wiry with gold rimmed glasses.

This is a relief as I do not much like asking for help.

He leans forward.

"So this was . . . when? When did you say? 2008?"

He taps his pen against his teeth and I look out of the window. It's raining.

"Well," he says, "when something awful happens, we have two choices. When soldiers come back from a war, some of them need to talk about it, some of them need to not talk about it. They only need to forget. What you need to do is to figure out which one of those two types of people you are. Talking or forgetting."

He looks over in a kindly fashion, as though I am a child. And maybe I am.
Perplexed over a book with no pictures or conversations in it.
Being the writing type is not mentioned.

"When your son died, something awful happened. And then, of course, your daughter was gravely ill for a very long time. It must have been very difficult."

The room spins slightly as my son dies.
But I only manage a small, squeezed, "yes."

It wasn't only awful, I want to tell him. It isn't the awfulness alone that keeps me pinned there. Awfulness doesn't keep me awake at night. Everything does. Love and curiosity and bafflement and worry and wonder and the need to take a long hard stare at the blackness.

If it had been only awful, I'd be the first in line for forgetfulness, for muteness.

But I don't. Because it would take too long to explain.

I just don't know. I no longer have any idea how to help myself. I thought that I was helping myself. I write about joy and happiness and I'm not lying. They are back, where I never, ever thought that they would be. But the thing with writing is that I have a tendency to reach right around with my long wordy arm and stab myself in the back.

There's a reason I work with numbers. Less potential for knifing. Particularly for impaling yourself. Nobody ever took their own eye out with a number 8, no sharp edges you see. You'd think you could stab yourself in the heart with a 4, but you can't. I've tried, he's too blunt despite his pointy appearance. But words, words are a different and a far more slippery matter.

Is that all I've done? Is that all I've achieved? All these hours crying in front of this computer? Although it's been so long that 'this' computer is, in fact, two different pieces of hardware.
Trying to trap her here with words. Trying to reach her with words. Because, as far as I know, nobody has ever yet managed to reach the dead with words. Shakespeare? Nope. Dickens? Nope. Murdoch? Nope. Atwood? Nope. Updike? Nope. H.D.? Nope. Even my dear MacNeice? Nope. Every Booker Prize-Nobel-Pulitzer winning author ever? Nope. Although you feel certain that they could, that they should. If this world happened to make any sense whatsoever.

She does not answer for them, my dear Georgina. Not matter what I read with tears streaming down my face. So, let's face it, she is not going to answer to my stumbling fumblings.
But the stubbornness in me won't give up. I'm more stubborn about this writing than I ever was back in 2008, when they floated the idea of withdrawing intensive care. Because I crumbled then. Before he did. Is it any wonder I'm a little stuck back there? The weak point.

Am I holding her up for witnesses when she was meant to be private and quiet? Dignified. Small and dry. Not this gushing on and on and on and on of emotion. Not for my sea rose daughter. Sparse. Bony. Too early to be the pudgy, chubby baby that I dreamt of.
Words that came to mean too much to me, that made me believe that they were her.
When they aren't. They are less than nothing. Just dust. From dust, to pixels, to dust.

As a teenager I longed for Dick Diver-like repose, for grace, for self containment, self restraint.
To be someone less messy, less garrulous, less of an embarrassment.
So I try. I try to keep the corners neatly folded, to keep everything tidy and small.
Gracious. Kindly.

But give me a keyboard and I can't seem to shut up.
Splurging, binging on all that I can't say during working hours.
Or to my husband.
Or to a three year old and a one year old.
RRRAAAGGGHHH!
And BBLLLUUURRRGGHHH!
And the fact that I'm still, actually, very sad.

I'm very, very sad that Georgina died. But not only sad.
Really, I could delete all of this rambling and just replace this blog with the previous two sentences.
If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be here.
I wouldn't be trying to do something that I am ill, ill-equipped to do.

Perhaps I am the forgetting kind.
It wouldn't surprise me to find that I've misunderstood myself all along.
Perhaps I am the kind that is supposed to just shut the hell up.
To make like an owl.
A wise old owl.

A wise old owl sat in an oak,
The more he heard, the less he spoke.
The less he spoke, the more he heard,
Why aren't we all like that wise old bird?


24 comments:

  1. You don't have to shut-up here. And although none of us wish we had to find each other and read these words, we did. There's no changing that. Abiding in your grief and missing a Dr. that helped me so much in another State.
    Cava

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cava - I'm sorry, I know how important a Dr. can be, even more so now. Thank you for understanding. C xo

      Delete
  2. I am sorry you are sad. I am sad too. But I am glad for your writing, splurging, binging at the keyboard. I'll never know, of course, if it is reaching Georgina. But it does matter. It reaches us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mama Bear. I wish we were neither of us sad. And I hope we reach them, somehow xo

      Delete
  3. You have such a way with words....

    Sending you lots of hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The room spins slightly as my son dies.
    But I only manage a small, squeezed, "yes."

    But the thing with writing is that I have a tendency to reach right around with my long wordy arm and stab myself in the back.

    There's a reason I work with numbers. Less potential for knifing. Particularly for impaling yourself. Nobody ever took their own eye out with a number 8, no sharp edges you see. You'd think you could stab yourself in the heart with a 4, but you can't. I've tried, he's too blunt despite his pointy appearance. But words, words are a different and a far more slippery matter.

    *****

    Bear with me...

    At Wal-mart (in the U.K., also?), a fetching, prime young lady ~ shower-ready, or close enough ~ meandered past. I watched a man swivel, buckling slightly at the knees, craning after her disappearing form. Loudly sighing, he expelled, "Holy Smokes, Woman! You trying to give me a heart attack?!"

    Somehow, that story is the only one fitting how I feel reading you, today. Even though I'm not a middle-aged man, swooning.

    Holy Smokes, Woman. You trying to give me a heart attack?

    How is it that I get to read stuff this rich, straight out of the gate?

    I don't deserve you.

    Knees no good here, either,

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Catherine. I know. And Cathy in Missouri, we don't deserve you either. Your comments, just like Catherine's posts, always speak right to my heart.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps our words do just turn to dust but, until they do, I'm glad they are here. I'm grateful for every last word that is poured out in this part of the internet - my own indulgences included in that.

    I don't know if these words travel to our daughters but I believe our love does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are writing Georgina's baby book, Catherine. People IRL won't get it. But I do. I am very, very sad that Anna died. Same theme for years now.

    With Love,
    Christine XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. I think of your Anna so very often. And I owe you an email. Sending love xo

      Delete
  8. There is so much in this piece that stand out. My favorites:

    "There's a reason I work with numbers. Less potential for knifing. Particularly for impaling yourself. Nobody ever took their own eye out with a number 8, no sharp edges you see. You'd think you could stab yourself in the heart with a 4, but you can't. I've tried, he's too blunt despite his pointy appearance. But words, words are a different and a far more slippery matter."

    "Just dust. From dust, to pixels, to dust."

    But what came through it all was the love.

    Thank you for putting some words to this excruciatingly complicated knowing. Awful, yes. Sometimes that's all there is. But the love. And everything that we learn about everyone around us. What is illuminated. Thanks for trying to make sense of it all xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You, my dear. I really and truly adore you, even if I only know you through the computer. I am thinking about that maid in the book "The Help" - the one that said she always wrote down her prayers. I like that, and I think this is what this is in a way - your prayers for Georgina, and for yourself, and for those you love viewed through the lens of Georgina's absence. And if *that's* true then it isn't meaningless - they aren't just pixels or words. They are prayers, and that makes them far more meaningful.

    It's all about balance I guess....coming to a place where these prayers don't lose their significance or importance, but they do start to take less of your mental and emotional space? So that when you are "in the world" - with your real life people at work, at home, wherever - you aren't consumed by the what ifs.

    This is half formed...I'll write you an email later and try to say more. Thinking about you SO much though.

    xoxoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we'll always be sad, mixed in with the other things. And I'm starting to think that's okay, or at least, that it is what it is.

    I'm not sure that the chap with gold-rimmed glasses is completely correct. I don't think we need to be one or the other. There are times when I need to talk about what happened, and other times when I need to withdraw into myself. I continue to maintain my Hoberman-sphere-like persona. I really don't ever forget, though, even when I'm distracted by a lot of activity.

    Whether you are talking or forgetting or neither, dear Catherine, I accept and appreciate you exactly for who you are and am thinking of you and Georgina. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. It is, as with so much in life, not that cut and dried. But I worry that I am not distracted enough. It that makes sense? That I really don't ever forget. But then, I'm not entirely sure I want to? Sigh.

      Delete
  11. I am still here and reading. Finally overcoming lack of sleep and technology.

    Xxx as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Merry. Hope you get some sleep soon my dear xo

      Delete
  12. Oh Catherine.

    I wish I knew what to say. I read this when you first posted it and it's stuck with me this whole past week.

    "Am I holding her up for witnesses when she was meant to be private and quiet? Dignified. Small and dry. Not this gushing on and on and on and on of emotion."

    It might be entirely selfish on my part, but I for one, am glad that you are not silent. You seem to find the words that I wish I'd had the courage to put out there. So, for me, it is creeping up on a decade since C. died. And I have been private and quiet. Was there anything gained from me being so? I don't think so. Your words, as pointed out, are essentially Georgina's baby book and a beautiful tribute to her and the strength of your love. I wish I had something analogous to give to my children one day so that they could get a glimpse into the depth of my feelings for their sister. So they could appreciate how loved she continued to be through the years.

    I think the tightrope between talking versus "forgetting" is one that we all negotiate, daily even. We have to do what's right for us, and that can change in a moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right J. It is a tightrope. One that I trip over and fall off. And yes, just when I think I am nicely balanced is when I tumble off. It can all change in a moment. I long to be private and quiet. But yes, what would I have gained? Perhaps whatever path we take we are not satisfied. Because they are not here. So how could we be satisfied?

      Before I close this blog, I do hope to have a copy taken as a book so that J and R can read it one day, if they ever wish to know more about their sister and how I felt about her. Part of me hopes that they do, another part desperately hopes that they won't.

      I'm glad you are here, lighting up the way ahead C xo

      Delete
  13. You always do this to me, woman. I come here and read your words and shake my head, yes, yes, yes, and yet can't come up with any words of my own as a decent comment. So I'll just say yes, yes, yes and I'm glad you keep on writing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I, for one, am so grateful to read every word you write. Even when I comment woefully late! And thanks for the REM--they are my favorite.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. You write so beautifully and your every word has so much meaning... thank you for sharing. I'm so sorry to hear your story and here with you. Thank you for stopping by my blog... love always xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh holy hell I need to be more like that bird. Oh Cath. You must know how much we adore your words, and your voice, and your sentiment. Your comments to me (and I owe YOU an email) have been SO needed as I navigate this journey with the twins. I too will eventually bind my blog.. I have a few places I looked at- maybe bind each year.. and for now I have no plans to stop writing.. it is such an outlet. May it be for you as well my friend.. love and light. xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Reading and sending you love. Beautifully written and I hope writing, while stabbing yourself at times does also allow for healing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sad here too - always - as well as all the other stuff xx

    ReplyDelete