Tuesday 3 July 2012

Sunbeams

Well, that last post of mine was a little ray of sunshine wasn't it?

When Georgina died, I think I lost some of the emotional elasticity so necessary for maintaining cheerfulness in the face of the routine challenges of life. The ability to shrug things off. To imagine that everything will be ok.

Perhaps because everything can no longer be ok. Not wholly. Not now.
And that doesn't mean defeat. Or the end.
It means that something cannot be fixed. Cannot be returned.

Life punches me into a miserable shape and I sometimes stick . . . moulded there. Spine bent and head bowed. Staring in despair at my own too spongy stomach. Because my springiness has gone. I'm just soft, soft dough. Waiting for the next hit.

Greedily reaching for whatever it is that I feel might yield a small, cold comfort. Like a heavy, thick coin clutched in my hands. Food, the icy sting of the freezing cold fizzy Diet Coke, the harsh tang of wine, the rush of instant gratification in the shops, buying things for children that already have more than they can ever realistically wear or find time to play with. Sickeningly indulgent. "But it's ok." my inner justification whines, "she died. You can have that. They can have that. Take it all."

It takes me longer to recover from even a small challenge. A cross word. A car horn beeping at me. A mistake discovered in a spreadsheet. An imagined misunderstanding. Being late. Forgetting the milk. A child screaming over something unknowable and unfixable. Burst nappies. Bank account hovering into the red. A house filled with dust bunnies. Hour long commutes.

One tiny thing. And the bowed- head-bent- spine-doughy thing that is me? Bends lower. Disheartened.

All this, it mutters. All this and she is dead? Too much.

I know it isn't. The 'all this' is vanishingly important. It is the death. That makes everything else seem like the final straw.

And it takes longer. For the all the cheerful flag waving, pom pom shaking, cheering up to take hold.
But it does.

My mother used to sing to me . . .

You've got to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again.


And I thought it was rather too cheery, too Polly-Anna-ish for my liking.
But I didn't taste the iron, that metallic twinge like blood in your mouth.

Sometimes life knocks a few teeth out. And you are left slightly dizzy and confused and trying to maintain an upright position. With blood in your mouth and singing an annoying song. Possibly you are waving a pom-pom.

Wave one for me please. It seems I need a wee bit of cheering on. Perhaps it's August. Looming at me from behind July.

11 comments:

  1. Abiding and understanding. Always.
    Screw you, August.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is like this. Just somehow harder. Easier for gloom to creep in.
    abiding

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Catherine, I read your last post and my heart hurt for you and I wished I could say something to show you the beauty and the compassion and the love that I always see in your words and hear behind them.

    I recognise this too - the small frustrations of life are no longer small. We have already hurt so much - our capacity to take more is so shrunken.

    And, suddenly, our season begins to seem close. Jeanette and you and Erica and Sally. July ... August .....October. Holding you in my thoughts (and prayers, if that is okay) as four looms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to cheer you on, and I wish I knew how to do it. As usual, you've hit so close to home with this post. I've felt so absolutely miserable lately and have been searching for my small comforts also. Disheartened. Yes. Deeply, and lately (it's felt like) incurably. I don't know what to do. Start seeing a counselor again? Go back on antidepressants? Something's got to give, and soon. Just thinking about October makes me feel sick to my stomach and full of anxiety. How terrible that we fear and loathe entire months, those monstrous markers of our daughters' deaths. I'm so, so sorry.

    I hear you, too, about small, everyday challenges seeming like mountainous roadblocks. Any extra insult feels like another kick in the teeth. I've always been sensitive, and now I'm more sensitive than ever. I'm just one big, raw nerve-ending. No callouses here, no thickened skin.

    For the record, I don't think you are the least bit rotten. Not a bit. You are thoughtful and lovely--and the incredible love you have for your Georgina is beautiful. I'm thinking about both of you as August approaches, and wishing that your darling girl was back in her mother's arms where she belongs. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completely get it. I am heading to 6 year anniversary territory next week. But I love that we share this blog world together. Love and thoughts to you as we honor our gorgeous children

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to read this, not that you are feeling it but that it is not just me. I have forever lost that everything is going to be fine feeling too. Because it wasn't when I told myself it would be.
    My mom is over-the-top Pollyanna-ish and it has divided us, I don't have the optimism she does anymore and she can't seem to understand why.

    Sending you hugs and holding you up from here Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Argh. August. I sometimes want to banish it from the calendar, but I don't think that would actually work. And sometimes I feel closer to him in August, or at least to the events of August 2008. I don't want to give that up even though it comes with a freight train of ow.

    Waving a pom pom for you, kind of madly, but with all my good will. And in my other hand I'm waving a tinfoil sword - at August, and at cross words, car horns, tiredness, and all of those damned little hurts that pile on top of the big hurt.

    And sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Catherine, whatever you think of yourself, whatever slights you hold against yourself, whatever inadequacies you see and perceive, know that all around the world your love and care has held women together. All those comments, all those words.

    You area fundamental part of me being as okay as I am. Because of your words, with a few others, I am whole and my marriage is whole and my children are whole and my husband is whole and we have Bene and we got through. You did that. With your words. And you did it, as only a few do, with words and time and love and wisdom.

    Whatever nothing you perceive when you look inside that glass case that is your body and soul, you do not see what others see. We see beautiful. We see wise. We see someone no isa little part of our saving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness- THIS....
    "It takes me longer to recover from even a small challenge. A cross word. A car horn beeping at me. A mistake discovered in a spreadsheet. An imagined misunderstanding. Being late. Forgetting the milk. A child screaming over something unknowable and unfixable. Burst nappies. Bank account hovering into the red. A house filled with dust bunnies. Hour long commutes."
    So well written...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'd think having gone through such unbelievable pain and trauma that we would all suddenly be super equipped to deal with the daily small things, the odd hiccup or bump in the road. Not so... In my case too. I am so easily overwhelmed. My confidence in tatters.

    Your 'Rotten Apple' post breaks my heart - that you feel that way... I cannot speak for a whole community, but I would guess most of your readers would feel similarly - You have made such a difference with your beautiful, beautiful words. Your love for Georgina shines through them, and your grace, honesty and tenderness have me looking forward to reading your posts.

    You are not fundamentally flawed. This awful thing happened. It just did. It is not your fault. And you are not the common denominator in everything that goes wrong.

    Much love to you, especially as August looms heavy on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete