Wednesday 14 November 2012

Living In Public

Once there was a woman with no secrets.

Her life was as translucent as the sunshine, honest as the day.
Her heart was as pure as
an.
open.
book.
She had no dark corners or hidden thoughts.

She had no secrets.

She made a book. That told everybody, from everywhere, what had become of her.

She mailed a copy to . . .
old school friends,
friend of her mother's,
kids she went to playgroup with,
boys she kissed once then thought better of,
old work colleagues,
current work colleagues,
her husband,
her sister,
her distant cousins on another continent,
people who only knew her through her words.

Typed, black upon white.


She asked a few of them to look. 
A very, very few.

Most asked her.
To look.
At her book.
That she thought so unique.

But her book was, oddly, very similar to everybody else's.

Apart from the photographs of candles.
And her dead child listed in a corner. The lower right hand corner of page 59. Not prominently.

You'll find her if you look hard enough. Her first daughter. Georgina.

Some people do find her.

Other don't.

You think of all of those people. How they remember you. How you probably aren't that person anymore. They see you, the you in the book, walking towards them through dust, the dust from the rubble from a collapsing building.

Sometimes I'm surprised that all of these books are so crystal clear. The photographs and copied jokes so pristine.

That the photographs aren't clouded with dust. From all those buildings that must have fallen down in the midst of their construction. Making those clear statements fuzzy around the edges.

No . . no baby photographs here. Please move away. This is a demolition zone.

Family pictures missing a husband.
Missing a father.

Books maintained in the name of the dead.
Or books left to lie still in the name of the dead.
A disconcerting reminder.
Because one day yours will join them.
Flutter, flutter, flop.
Well maintained prettiness finally given up.
For lost.

But sometimes you'll find that the friend who was yours when you were thirteen.
Whom you became too dull for.
You'll find that friend and they'll know what to say to you.

They'll send you a folded up piece of paper. You'll be thirty something. But you won't have forgotten her handwriting.  Like a message passed in the class room. Like you used to. In those days before over burdensome books like this became the fashion. Can't pass those around. You're bound to get caught.

The piece of paper will say, 'I wanted to acknowledge Georgina. I know that there is nothing that I could ever say to make it better.'

And the teacher will ask, "What's so important in that letter Catherine W.? What's so important that you are not paying attention to me?"

And you'll swallow it. Smiling.

Because you don't have many secrets left.
Perhaps that isn't entirely a bad thing.

Undignified but hey? Nobody ever said that dignity was the aim.



And would she be adding this to her book? The woman. Who tried to have no secrets. Who was tired of having secrets.

Umm . . . . . . . . . let me see . . . . . . nope.

 Now I feel ok but every night before I sleep. I wish I had kept it to myself for me to keep.


 

14 comments:

  1. I love this post. Cuts right to the heart of the matter xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would miss your voice so much. You are important, Georgina and Jessica and Reuben are important. Your book of secrets is cherished.

    I'm sorry if you feel regret, but thank you for sharing your experience here.

    Love you. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this IS my book of secrets. And the people who read this one, read it as a reflection of their own I think?
      Rather than the book of face that this post is about. I find facebook so peculiar, I have kind of a grim fascination with the thing! When Bon wrote about living in public, she used a phrase which really stuck with me 'context collapse.' And my facebook profile is all sorts of context collapse. Where my blogging world, my work world, worlds of the past and my family all collapse into one another!
      And I feel regret for not organising things so that my blog wasn't only a hop, skip and a jump from my facebook page. My sister in law found a post on facebook about a post that I'd written for Still Standing magazine and, had she looked further, she would have found this place. Which wouldn't have worried me immensely and I'm far from embarrassed by this blog. I defy anybody to tell me what to do to have dealt with this situation unless they've been there themselves.
      And sometimes I wish I were more of the strong, silent type. But what would be the good in that? Really? Love xoxo

      Delete
  3. As Didion says, "we tell ourselves stories in order to live."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Peculiar that even if you are telling yourself your own story, quite self-conciously, it still helps you to live. I think. Even if you know that what happened to you has no form or plot. Forcing it to fit one, even if that is self-deceiving, somehow helps.

      Delete
  4. This is amazing! I love the visualization of the buildings crumbing. Crumbing even as it was being built. Kind of like a baby dying as it is still growing. Walking away from the life that was supposed to be. It also made me think of the photo books I have of Kai's first 2 years. How they look uniquely ours and yet the same as anyone else's... Until you get to the part where Camille dies and the book abruptly ends. No telling what befell the pregnant lady. And where is that baby? All of a sudden our book looks like death and tragedy and everyone what's to look but then gets the privilege of looking away when the novelty of death has worn off and they get distracted by something else. I hate facehole for so many reasons mostly for the superficial reflection of all things joyful and perfect that makes me feel even worse about my life. Also because of that abounding joy and lack of loss it makes me feel bitter and wish ill upon people and hence feel even worse about myself. I am trying to mildly participate but I still find it hard.
    Wonderful writing Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "You'll find her if you look hard enough." So many people don't want to look. I have been keeping a running track (though I despise this about myself) of people who comment on posts about A and people who never do but comment on posts about anything else, and I'm holding a grudge. I often want to put as my status: "If you think I a) haven't noticed that you've never said a word about my dead baby and b) am not holding it against you, YOU ARE WRONG." But I'm too polite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this March - I wish you weren't quite so polite and posted it!

      Delete
    2. I find it too overwhelming - and too difficult... I don't know how to write a status update because of that "context collapse..." so I rarely do. I'm the worst kind of facebooker - I'm nosey. So I look but rarely participate - very reflective of my real life - I look in at all the normal families, but I'm very firmly on the outside looking in.

      Delete
  6. Love your amazing words as always Catherine but I love the comments on this post as well, I too, have had visions of yelling into a crowd (okay maybe not yelling but writing it in all caps) "do you think I haven't noticed that you ignore my pain?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to let you know that I've added your blog to the website that I've created for bereaved parents and siblings:
    http://www.scoop.it/t/grief-and-loss
    I started gathering blogs, videos, articles and more after the sudden death of my 23 year old son, just 27 weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The part about the old friend, the one who you're not really friends with anymore, or maybe never really were, who do more than those who are the "real" friends . . . this is so very true and humbling. It's astonished me, on many levels.

    Love to you.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been thinking of you. Miss you. Sending you love.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello beautiful friend- I am just getting caught up on a lot of posts.. you have such a way with words- as always. The Unquiet Grave took my breath away.. literally. Love and light Cath- miss you. xo

    ReplyDelete