Thursday 28 February 2013

Small consolations

I have volunteered to be a parent representative on a research group examining difficult decisions made in neonatal units. Our first meeting was today.

I caught the tube to London Bridge. Alongside the moving walkway was an advert offering free life insurance for new parents. £10,000 during your baby's first year of life.

For a moment I was non-plussed. Offering to insure your newborn child from birth to the age of one for free and advertising the payout. With such jolly lettering? With cartoon rattles and nappies?

Then I tumble. It's the parents. It's the death of a parent that you are taking out insurance against. Not the baby's.

Of course.

***

We talk about palliative care. About how it should not be something wheeled out at the final pass. It should be integral to the lives of every extremely ill or premature baby treated in ICU. It should be the default, set to gradually fade away when everything goes according to plan and the wind blows in the right direction.

I think, perhaps, that this should be the case in adult medicine as well. Under certain circumstances. Although I do not give voice to this as it outside the scope of this meeting.

I do believe that as we will all, inevitably, die, it might not be a bad idea to set our minds to that final horizon. That palliative care should start at birth, the process of reconciling yourself to your own mortality. Why should it always be the feared and awful last resort?

Because palliative medicine is not about admitting defeat, throwing your hands up in the air and saying, "we did everything we could." End of life care can be a more active process than that, focused around comfort and privacy.

We talk about the conversations that we had with our children's consultants. Those difficult decisions that were taken.

Sometimes these aren't formal. They aren't in private rooms, they aren't with both parties fielding all their resources. In my experience, the truth comes out late at night, when everyone feels a bit frayed, when nobody is at their best. The final formal agreement might be clear and amiable. But it has usually been hashed out long beforehand.

In snatches of conversations on the ward, in corridors. In pleas and denials.

The conversation rumbles on, nearly five years later. I'm one of the lucky ones. It is a privilege.
To have had Georgina's death handled in the manner that it was.
To be able to discuss these matters and to hope for a change.

***

Then I bathed myself in light.

I went to an art gallery, on my own.
Because I appear to like superimposing disorientating experiences upon one another?

Light Show at the Hayward Gallery. Art installations made from light. Solid light. Light bulbs that replicate moon light. Endless churning cubes. Water fountains frozen in time by strobe lighting. Monochromatic worlds where everything appears red. Or blue. Dark places that you have to edge around, feeling your way along on the walls. Hoping not to stumble.

I eavesdropped.
On conversations about being an intern.
How not to waste your life doing something you find boring (ahem) or how working for free was slavery (ahem) which are nice dreams but I couldn't help emitting a cynical chuckle. Which I fear may have been overheard by one party.
On what other visitors thought of the installations.
On a mother talking so charmingly to her daughter that I wanted to tell her how much I had enjoyed her story about the dinosaur and how wonderful she was.
I remained silent.

I thought about the decisions that I had taken.
Hoping to be purified, hoping to be justified.
And my eyes were burnt away by the lights.

10 comments:

  1. God, this is so lovely. Yes, I agree that palliative care could and should be as open a conversation as any other medical decision. There have been times in the last 19 months that I have thought, yes, the worst possible thing that can happen is death. But outside of deep grief and razor sharp experience of loss, I know that there are worse fates than death. We made the decision for palliative care for Nathaniel while he was still inside of me, because the severity of the medical procedures he faced and his best possible outcome were simply too aggressive and too invasive and not nearly enough. Good for you to be a real part of that very difficult and very necessary dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I appear to like superimposing disorientating experiences upon one another?

    (yes - here, also)

    *****

    I couldn't help emitting a cynical chuckle. Which I fear may have been overheard by one party.

    (ha!)

    *****

    ...palliative care should start at birth, the process of reconciling yourself to your own mortality. Why should it always be the feared and awful last resort?

    You said it,

    xoxo CiM

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing. Absolutely AMAZING. And I just know you are going to be so helpful to others walking this journey behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so hard to find your place again, isn't it? I feel like everyday is a series of jarring contrasts anymore.

    I want to hear more about the input you offer to this research. It's such an important topic and there's something about your participation that makes me feel peaceful. That's probably not the right word but I feel like this project is in good hands if you are part of it (though I wish you knew nothing about it).

    I'm stomping all over your post and your comments section so I'll just step away from the keyboard now.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  5. That life insurance part—funny where our minds go. Or not funny at all really that there is reason for them to go there.
    I hope people hear what you have to say in the research group.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I deal with these issues (end-of-life, palliative care) on the adult side all the time. We are very aggressive in being clear to the patient and/or next of kind that this is always an acceptable option, as opposed to being aggressive. With kids and babies, we always go aggressive. Preemies are another matter... thank you for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The crazy thin is that there is life insurance offered here for babies- it makes me gag.
    I love that you involved in this group- I hope they will take your feedback to heart. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. And ps- sending light as always... xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. We do all die in the end and so much of our life efforts go into running from that fact rather than running with it. I am glad you are a part of this research (although as Tracy says - I wish you knew nothing about it.) I hope you feel safe and minded within it.

    The exhibition sounds really interesting - eavesdropping an' all... xx Louise

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could sit down and talk with you in person about this. I have so many regrets about Elizabeth's care, but even more causes for thankfulness that we stumbled upon doctors and hospice workers who helped us make her last weeks peaceful and comfortable and not full of last-ditch surgeries and interventions. It could have gone so differently, and it does for so many families. Thank you for helping with this conversation <3

    ReplyDelete