Saturday 23 November 2013

Daughters

Alice Mary was born safely, three days overdue, on the 12th of November. The labour was so quick that she was born at home. My husband had gone to take Jessica and Reuben to school, on the agreement that we might think about going to the hospital when he got back. But by the time he returned, she had been born.

Having never had a spontaneous labour at term before, I don't think I realised how quickly progress could occur. I am so very grateful that Alice's birth was straightforward and neither of us any the worse for the amateur nature of her delivery.

A strange full circle completed as I caught her head and felt her body slip out, my own scream echoing around my own bedroom. I want to make it mean something, to go from technological innovations and medical interventions to just my own quivering, screaming flesh. But it doesn't mean anything at all, it is only the way things worked out this time.

An ambulance crew and midwives soon descended and the strange, solitary spell was broken.

***

She's always with me. Irreplaceable. Implacable. The constant at the centre of the equation as other things are added and subtracted. Georgina is the never changing 'c' - always. I'm always waiting for her, she is always dead and so we remain, in solemn stasis, whilst everyone else spins around us in unseemly haste.

I am reading a book, 'Far from The Tree', which is a reflection on how families cope in situations where children are very different from their parents. For instance, where the child is born deaf, with Down's syndrome or homosexual and thus, arguably, becomes part of a subculture that their parents cannot fully enter. It would seem that part of us wishes to, or believes that we will, simply perpetuate ourselves when we have children. That we will reproduce literally.

It seems to me that was never my intention. Perhaps it is the legacy of having a first child who is so very, very different from me? She is dead and I am alive. I will, one day, become like her and thus perpetuate her deadness. She will not inherit any of my qualities or failings. Not for her the dreaded shyness or self doubt. Instead I will inherit her single and defining characteristic.

I think that I take pleasure in the elements of my children that are most at odds with my own character because their difference is . . . . . delightful. Perhaps because I do not much like myself and would not want to see them become a version of me? But Jessica's gregariousness, Reuben's no nonsense staring down of the world and sharp toothiness, Alice's . . . well, who knows as yet. They delight me.

***

I am back in the strange echoing place of childbirth and newborn. Probably for the final time. I look into my daughter's newborn dark blue eyes and see her sister's. That far away look. And I wonder.

The small, scrawny limbs with their peeling skin, the ache of the fuzzy head and rolling eyes. The mouth that seeks and the hands that pat, pat, pat. She seems unbearably small but I know that she isn't. I wonder, fleetingly, if she might stop breathing. But put the thought from my mind as I can't even start to think it.

***

"Was she a single baby or a twin?"

"Single."

"How many other children do you have?"
"Two," he says.
"Three," I say.

He peers at us with some consternation, perky bow-tie suddenly seeming somewhat droop-ish. His hand poised over the keyboard.

"Three," I pipe up decisively. "If you look at the register you'll find three other children. Our eldest daughter died but her birth is registered as she died at three days old."

"Ok. Any stillborn children?"

"No."

I fleetingly wish that he had said that he was sorry. But I didn't really expect him to.

And this is where it ends I suppose. There will be no more babies. I am tired. I just hope to keep going, that I am not an absolutely awful mother. That I am not overly harmful.

***

Drifting in and out of sleep, I hear this song from the radio. It was written by Molly Drake, mother to the famous song writer Nick Drake.

Happiness is like a bird with twenty wings
Try to catch him as he flies
Happiness is like a bird that only sings
When his head is in the skies
You can try to make him walk beside you
You can say the door is open wide
If you grab at him, woe betide you
I know because I've tried
Like a butterfly upon an April morning
Very quickly taking fright
Happiness is come and gone without a warning
Jack-o'-lantern in the night
I will follow him across the meadow
I will follow him across the hill
And if I can catch him I will try to bring you
Why yes, happiness
If I can catch him I will try to bring you
All my love and happiness.

Perhaps it is my imagination but to my mind there is a catch of weariness in those final lines. Because the following isn't always easy or enjoyable. But I follow him, that twenty winged trickster, on behalf of other people.

If I can catch him my dear loves. If I can catch him, I will try . . . . .

Because that is what I want for you all. Even my littlest one who has tried to foil me by dying.

All my love and happiness. Happiness.


37 comments:

  1. I am so thankful that Alice arrived safely! I wish you peace to enjoy the wonderful exhaustion of your newest newborn daughter. I am remembering her eldest sister. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thrilled for you, Catherine and in awe. That's quite the birth story, one that I'm sure Alice will inherit as one of her own stories to tell friends and acquaintances. Wonderful, wonderful news and I could not be happier for you.

    Always remembered, Georgina. Much love to you and all your children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monique. Thank you for being here, sending love to you and yours.

      Delete
  3. Catherine!
    I am so happy for you! And glad you both Re OK! Ive been checking in now and again. I know you'll be busy but I'll email you soon to catch up. You are a wonderful mother. :)
    Brigitte and Ashlyns mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO good to hear from you - you and your family are so often in my thoughts. Would be wonderful to catch up if you have time xoxo

      Delete
  4. Oh, my goodness! I knew that Alice had arrived safely, but not the surprise way she made her arrival.Thinking of you in the newborn haze, honoring all four of your children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara. That is such a perfect description - the newborn haze. I'm just so pleased that nothing went wrong, it was so far away from the delivery that I planned for and expected.

      Delete
  5. I am so glad that Alice is here and that she arrived healthy into the world. What a delivery! As always I relate so deeply to your thoughts in this post and wish neither of us had them. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jessica. Not what I was planning at all as, I know you will understand, even at term I would always choose to deliver close to a NICU facility. Just so glad that everything went ahead smoothly.

      Delete
  6. Oh, Catherine.... That birth story... Seems like the tears are rolling straight out of the pit of my stomach... How scary it must have been. And in the end, how beautiful... Congratulations, sweet mama.
    And this: " I just hope to keep going, that I am not an absolutely awful mother. That I am not overly harmful." I could have written that; I think it all the time. I can only hope i am underestimating myself as much as I know you are, yourself.
    Thinking of you all -- all four (4!) of your beautiful children, and you -- and sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that horrible thought, all that guilt and worry. I know that I would have had those thoughts even had Georgina not died but they seem to be amplified somehow by the fact that she did. Because I love them so much, I know how lucky I am to have them, I am so grateful. But a state of constant gratitude, love and harmony and singing your heart out is, sadly, not necessarily compatible with raising a two year old. Or changing three sets of nappies every morning. Sigh.
      But it comforts me to know that I am not the only mother out there thinking these thoughts xo

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on Alice. That's quite a birth story. Amazing to go from a twin preemie delivery (and all the high tech-ness that involves) to a singleton born at home. What a gamut.

    I read that book "Far From the Tree" and LOVED it. It spoke to me as a dead baby mother, because yes, his difference from me is absolute...and yet I love him all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I have run the gamut when it comes to births. As the last midwife said to me, "erm . . perhaps you shouldn't have any more?"

      I'm so glad that you loved the book. I am reading during night feeds as it is quite the tome and the fact that you speak highly of it encourages me to press on.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations!


    I envy your "daughters" plural, in a good and happy way.

    I can only imagine how frightening it was to be alone in that situation and I feel for you there. I am so pleased that everything turned out well.


    What a story- and how fitting that it was your fingers that touched her as she left you and became part of the world.

    Welcome, Alice Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sarah. 'Daughters' - what a word, so many stories hinge upon it.

      I am so pleased and grateful that everything turned out well. I will never forget the feeling of holding her little body as she was born. Amazing and terrifying, both at once.

      Delete
  9. Welcome Alice, Catherine you are a beautiful soul, and I'm certain a beautiful mother to all of your precious children.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations strong mama. Quite the birth experience.

    Alice Mary sounds absolutely filled with love at first sight kind of love. The very best kind.

    Holding your eldest daughter close, and I send my love to all 4 of your children

    Xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica - thinking of you and your boys xo

      Delete
  11. So much love to you and your little ones, Catherine. I love Alice Mary's name, and am so glad she is safely here. I think "do no harm" is the most important tenant of parenthood, and the most difficult to keep, but your love for your children comes through in every word you write, and I like to think they are soaking all that love up and that it will get them through anything life tosses at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is difficult to keep. I just hope, hope, hope that they do know how very much I love them. I might fail miserably at many other things but I don't think that I could love any of them more, Georgina included.

      Delete
  12. Congratulations. How wonderful. And how strong you are. My very best wishes to you and your family. I will continue reading your beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your new precious baby girl! I was just a few weeks ahead of you, meeting my baby girl Lucy on Sept. 9. As always, I wish you the very best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Molly. Many congratulations - I am so pleased for you. Welcome to the world little Lucy! xo

      Delete
  14. Wishing ALL of you the best...I hope not to be "overly harmful," too.
    So many years later, there's a new baby on the way
    ~Cava

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that news has just made my night! I am so very, very pleased for you and yours.

      Delete
  15. So very happy to read of the safe arrival of Alice Mary, she is fortunate to have a Mummy such as you .....x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Catherine!!! Heartfelt congratulations to you!!!!! I quit the FB world 1.5 years ago (and clearly the blog world) so missed this tremendous, beautiful news!!!!! Overjoyed to read about Alice's arrival!! Hugs and love to all the littles, both in heaven and on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome, sweet little Alice, into this weird and wonderful world. Her arrival sounds, above all, incredible. Yes, just the way it happened this time around, but amazing in its own way, just the two of you.

    I love this meditation of parenthood and reproducing ourselves and how that trickles down when there is a dead baby. Something the back of my mind tumbles around and chews on, and something you've articulated so beautifully here.

    Love to you all <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. congratulations on your beautiful little baby!!! that sounds liek a magical birth!
    i am reading far from the tree, too. somehow, it is so incredibly relateable to me right now. i think on the one hand, because the book is about love. about how parents live their children fiercely, now matter what, now matter how incredibly brutal and difficult their lives may be. and on a different level, while some of these stories are so so hard, i find myself saying, yup, i would take that over her being dead in a heartbeat.
    reading about these stories that are so different from my own, somehow it feels completelly relateable. maybe even more so that books by other loss moms (cause no story is, obv, exactly like my own- similar enought yet different enough to not completelly realte). i shouldnt be rambling like this to a newly birthed mama!!! enjoy your post partum days off wonder and bliss and incredible demanding children! thank you for sharing about far from the tree, though. xx, cheli

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on the birth of Alice! I am so happy for you, Catherine. Your birth experience sounds so beautiful, and I am so glad you got to experience that.
    Enjoy this time with your new daughter. Wishing you all the best and sending my love

    ReplyDelete
  20. congratulations, catherine! what a classic, lovely name, too. everything about this post leapt from the page, your emotions as tangible to me as ever (for someone who of course cannot truly fully grasp what you've endured). your joy, your sorrow and their complicated whirling, tumbling together into something utterly you. i just feel like i have never read another blog that puts it into words quite like you.

    thinking of your family today, wishing you all happiness, but today most especially georgina and alice. <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello!! It's wonderful to read your happy news, I'm thrilled and glad so glad that Alice arrived safe and sound into your hands xx ines

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello my darling friend. It seems that many of us have been pulled back to a post within days of one another.. and I for one find much comfort in that connection. I am so thrilled for the beauty that come into your life once more, and so honored to know of the beauty that lies within Georgina's memory. Sending so much love and light your way my dear friend.
    PS- I can't tell you how chuffed I am that you finished the CPR course. Warms my heart. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow Catherine! I'm very late to get the news but congratulations! Welcome little Alice Mary. And well done Catherine! That must of been intense - but I love the way you sum up that moment of catching her - amazing and terrifying. So glad things are going well. I think the love and thought you pour into your parenting make you an amazing mama - more than good enough.

    My dad was very keen on that idea that children are the sum of the parents, and used to make helpful comments like "Well, your mum is very good at tennis, and I'm not too bad either, so I'm sure you'll be good at it". And persisted in giving me tennis racquets etc every Christmas, despite me hating it. But I think he's coming around to the idea that I'm my own person now, thank god!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I too am rather late to the party, just wanted to say I think of you and so many of the others who posted here often. A hearty hug and hello to your little Alice. Take every moment of happiness with her and wring it dry. Love to you. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete