Friday 25 July 2014

Happy Endings

'The only authentic ending is the one provided here. 
John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die.
So much for endings. Beginnings are always more fun.
True connoisseurs, however, are known to favour the stretch in between, since it's the hardest to do anything with.'

Taken from 'Happy Endings' by Margaret Atwood

***

This is what I am left with. Six years on.
I know the ending. The only ending.

What to do in the meantime? Attempt to become the true connoisseur, to favour the stretch in between those two inevitable, single file gateways?
That strange, bewildering gap.
It is, indeed, the hardest to do anything with.

My gratitude, my sadness, my happiness. My very self.
Always seem a little lacking.
When set against that small, dying body.
Perspective makes me cower.

I can't really make her death into something pretty or acceptable.
No matter how I squint or twist.
Looking at it too directly is still like. . . . well, like being stabbed in my observing eye.
And so I tend to look elsewhere.

I promised her I would never look away.
And yet.
Here I am.

Eyes right.

***

Next month, it will be six years since Georgina died.

I still think about her, and about what happened to her, a great deal.

Sometimes I feel disappointed that this is the case. That I didn't forge a happier ending for myself.
For my living children.

I load the dishwasher as the children sit, glazed, in front of yet another rendition of 'The Gruffalo' on DVD. She looks at me, annoyed. One eyebrow raised into her scarcely-there blonde hair,  'Really mother? Is this the best that you could do? With your life? With their lives?'

I shuffle around the kitchen guilty. Half heartedly stirring up craft drawers and homework folders. A flurry of pinterest induced shame and loathing.

Sometimes it is great fun. And sometimes it isn't. Three children and a mother.
None of us perfect.

In my more forgiving moods, I give myself a pat on the shoulder and say, 'Understandable Catherine W. old bean. You aren't really ever coming back from this are you? But that's ok. It's really ok. You knew that you never would. Even as it was happening.'

Three children and a fourth that flickers around, a faulty light.
One that I can't bear to look at as she'll bring on a headache.
But I can't let her go either.

And, if you are still here . . . .

Are you alright?

I wonder about people I met along the way.

How is the stretch in between working out for you?



13 comments:

  1. The Peace of Wild Things

    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

    Wendell Berry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine I posted the poem without adding to it... The place of the stretch in between is a familiar landscape and not easily recognised. Wendell Berry writes in a manner that resonates for me... I am glad to hear your voice xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a beautiful poem Jane. Thank you for posting it.

      Delete
  3. It's august..... I spend all year doing mostly ok, and in august.... well I just try to find forgiveness for myself and hope others will do the same for me. You are often in my thoughts especially this time of year, I know you understand how August effects me. Strange though we haven't met in person, and its unlikely that we ever will given our geographical distances I count you as a friend, and I know you understand in ways that no others ever have. I hope you are gentle with yourself this month. thanks for the friendship and comfort and care you have always offered me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter how much I hope it won't, August always seem to put me in a bit of a pain. You know how that feels.
      I miss you. I tried to email you a little while back but it didn't go through. I've just been to your blog and read your post about Logen's sixth. Don't think that there is anything I can add to what you have already written. August is long and I still ask myself how could this have happen, could have done something to prevent it? Those same old questions that lie at peace for the other months of the year come back again in August.
      Thinking of you and of Logen xo

      Delete
    2. Catherine, my email these days is leanne5of9
      @gmail.com. I'm grateful that august is over, I can breathe again in September. I have decided that as good as I do, august may never be any better than it is at this point. I hope that it gets smoother as the year goes on. It seems like from august til after the holidays is always just a bit harder than the rest of the year. And I will miss him always. I just don't have anything new to add to the same old same old missing. Much love your way!
      Leanne

      Delete
  4. Nearly 4 years feels so long.
    I'm not here very often at all (I maybe dip my toe back in every 6 months, maybe less) so I've only just read this. Otherwise I don't read, don't write and rarely talk about Joseph.
    I hope she flickers forever and that you never do let her go.
    Thinking of you lots this August and her. In fact, I think of her almost daily, whenever I see you pop up on FB or see/speak to my sister. Her name is Georgina too. I hope it's OK that I mention that.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like seeing 'your' Georgina pops up on facebook. I didn't realise that she was your sister but her name always catches my eye. I don't seem to come across many other Georginas at all.
      I read a lot more than I write, write a lot more than I talk. And so it goes. Sending love to you and remembering your beautiful Joseph x

      Delete
  5. I just realised it's August (not just August, but AUGUST) and thought of you.
    I hope you're OK.
    I still just have J. It hurts that he will be an only. But I'm too old now. Maybe not physically but in every other day.
    Much love. Hope you are ok. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Beth. How nice to hear from you. I often think of you and of J and wonder how you are getting on.
      I don't think that I will have any more children now. Like you say, I might just be able to scrape through physically but I feel old and worn out in many other ways.
      Sending you lots of love, remembering your little snowflake xo

      Delete
  6. Georgina, six. J, six.

    But such different sixes.

    No words fit but I do

    miss you, Flickering One.

    xoxo CiM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CiM. I miss her so much. Even though I don't have any words left. I miss her as much as I ever did.

      Delete
  7. Catherine, you wrote this in July and I am reading it in October. I am traveling for work and up too late and reading blogs and crying in my hotel room. I can't believe it's been six years for you. It's been only two for me and so many changes, but like you, the missing is the same. The longing for her.

    I loved the poem that you started with. The line:

    I can't really make her death into something pretty or acceptable.

    It's a fact, a tragedy, my greatest sorrow. In my normally busy and chaotic life, it is part of me but not all of me. But then, these moments when I am alone, when all I have to care for is me, my pieces tend to fall apart a bit. I am alright. I will never be alright.

    XO

    ReplyDelete