Wednesday 17 June 2009

Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien

Humph. If only.

I regret so very many things. Pointless I know.

As making lists seems to be the way this blog is going, why not? A list of things I regret.

Being so damn pleased with myself. I was horribly smug about being pregnant, I'm sure I did all that annoying belly rubbing and whining about morning sickness and was generally unbearable. God, I hope that no one I work with ever lost a baby. Or struggled to conceive a baby. They must have wanted to stick needles in my eyes. I want to go back in time and stick needles in my OWN eyes.

Informing everyone that I was expecting twins. It just seemed too strange and special to keep it to myself. One of my good friends has twins, my sister-in-law has twins, my next door neighbour has twins. And now we were expecting twins as well. I couldn't stop telling people it was twins. Even total strangers who asked when the baby was due.
Counting. Chickens. Prior. To. Said. Chickens. Hatching.

Not paying more attention at my scans. I had four ultrasounds with the girls, one at 12 wks, one at 20 wks and two further detailed scans at 21 and 22 wks. I wish I had known that it was one of the only opportunities I would every have to see Georgina. I wish I had savoured every single minute. I wish I had tried to fix every single image of her in my mind. But I didn't. At one scan I forgot to bring my glasses so I couldn't see too much.

Not being better informed. I knew that there was a chance of premature labour with twins but I was too frightened to read up on anything. I clung on to the fact that every medical professional I had spoken to told me that it was unlikely that anything would go wrong. I even told the doctors that night that I was 23 weeks when they asked me how far on I was. They might not even have tried to save my girls because I said that. It sends a shiver down my spine. I didn't know to lie, to say 24 weeks or higher. I had no idea what was coming, I didn't know anything about brain bleeds, haemorrhages, NEC, MRSA, ROP, chronic lung disease. Any of it. I didn't advocate for my children as I wish I could have.

That I couldn't stop them being born so prematurely.

That I let them start the medical interventions for Georgina.

That I let them stop the medical interventions for Georgina.

That it wasn't my arms she took her last few faltering breaths in. That I let her daddy bear that burden and that privilege. It should have been me.

That I slept whilst she was alive. That I left the room whilst she was still alive.

That I didn't spend longer with her body. I wanted to hold on to her for so long. So long. I had to leave her. Everyday I wish that I could go back into that room and pick her up and kiss her cold little face. But she's ash now.

That I didn't realise that my husband found my behaviour ghoulish. That he found watching me cuddle, bathe and dress our dead baby very, very upsetting.

That I didn't see Jessica at all until several hours after her birth. That I spent virtually no time with Jessica during the first few days of her life. That I took her survival for granted.

That this list could go on for much longer.

But I don't regret my girls. I don't regret that I loved them so desperately, so fiercely.
Every bad decision I made. Every good decision I made. Those bits where I wasn't making any decisions at all but just stumbling along as best as I could. I did it with all the stupid, clumsy love I have in my stupid, incompetent body. I tried my best. I hope they know that.

And really I don't regret any of it. If it had happened any differently they might not have been my two girls. I love them. Georgina. Jessica. Those two specific, particular individuals.

Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien. Sing it for me Edith.

7 comments:

  1. Oh mama... there are so many thing I regret, too. Things I would do over. How could we know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for the loss of Jessica. I think we all have regrets for the way we did things but how could we have known? I've often said there is no rulebook and we have to make it up as we go along, sadly. Right there with you. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine. I am so glad you de-lurked though. If you have time, send me an email. I want to send you something xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too. Too many regrets. Still adding to the list every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so there with you-so many regrets. These run through my brain constantly, especially at night when I'm awake with just my thoughts. But the above comment was right-how could we know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with your list here. There are so many things I regret, but I always tell myself I didn't do things differently because I was not prepared for my girls to be born so early. I did the best I could considering the circumstances and the shock I was in. I wish I could go back and time and have a do over. I wish I could go far back and possibly change the outcome. It is something that I will live with forever...the guilt.
    xx,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's little more tormenting than regrets... and little more futile than tormenting ourselves over regrets. Yet, knowing that doesn't stop me counting the many things I wish I could rewind, erase and record over. And finding peace with it all remains elusive.

    ReplyDelete