Friday 30 April 2010

This is the child

This is the child.

This is my daughter, Jessica.
My second child.
















On occasion, I get this child of the present moment confused with the child that was.
Twenty months ago.

















These two children are the same person. I would know that face anywhere.

That tiny child whose blood pressure, rate of respiration, oxygen saturation and heart rate I could sit engrossed in for hours.

That child who will always have a slight hint of the fairy tale about her.
A child with a dead sister, a dead twin.
A price paid, a ransom handed over.
My Thumbelina.
My Tom Thumb.
A woman who longed for a child so much that she accidentally wished two children into being.
Be careful what you wish for, you'll get it.
Because with wish granters, there is always a bill to pay. They're tricksy like that.
And the price is steep.

A child whose brain bled, who contracted infection after infection. Who approached death on her tiny feet and began a bizarre courtly dance that lasted weeks. Step forward, step back, curtsy to your partner.

A child who should have been unborn. But was thrust into light, to sound. Whose very flesh was grated against by fluorescent strip lights and buzzing alarms and a dizzying spiral of medications and procedures.
A mother who was uncertain as to whether to shut the eyes of her children or to simply shut her own.

A tiny child.
And I think perhaps you know why I hold on to that tiny child so.
Because there was another.
Another tiny child.
A child who will never change. Either that or she has changed beyond all recognition.
To ash or to air.
It's too close for me to call it.

But she is not this child. The first born yet not the first born. The eldest and yet not. My big girl.

A child mythologised by her own mother.

A child who is, after all, just a child.

All of this was just her preamble (to steal a phrase from a lovely comment left by Emily at sweetsalty)
A prologue that I hope she will skim over and set aside, it being all so terribly, terribly long ago.
An incidental.
An introduction.
Not the entirety that I seem to want to make it.
It is not the whole of her life. Just the very, very beginning.

This is the child that has attempted to sneak off with an entire bowl full of butter cream icing and a spoon. When caught red handed, she howled in protest and her mother just had to let her have a couple of bites.

This is the child that rejects all the fondly remembered TV programmes of my 80s childhood, purchased in anticipation of many happy hours of nostalgic bonding.  No Bagpuss, Mr Ben or Trumpton for this girl. She is a child of modern times.

This is the child who will chase either of her parents, or indeed any adult who looks halfway literate, around the house, flailing a book at their knees. She hasn't managed any words yet but has a very specific grunt that means READ! NOW! YES, YOU! I'M TALKING TO YOU! And believe me when you've tangled with a determined toddler wielding a hard back, triple bill Dr Seuss treasury you don't say no again in a hurry. Even if it is the 15,000,000th time you've read Green Eggs and Ham aloud and the application of comedy accents isn't raising your spirits. The CD (as recommended by Emma's Daddy)  is easing the number of repetitions but we're still in the region of around ten per day.


When I was pregnant, I used to read poetry to my belly. I feel a bit silly admitting that now.
I suppose if everything had gone according to plan and my children had been born perfectly healthy and were now showing tendencies towards literary genius I would be quick to take the credit.
But one of them is dead and the other. . . . well, she still may be a literary genius who knows.
If she is, I won't be taking the credit.
If not, I won't be shouldering the blame.

I used to read Louis Macneice (who I dote on a little as you might have noticed) and one of the poems I read most frequently was 'Prayer Before Birth' and here are the lines that haunt me still.

I am not yet born; provide me
With water to dandle me, grass to grow for me, trees to talk
   to me, sky to sing to me, birds and a white light
      in the back of my mind to guide me.


I am not yet born; rehearse me
In the parts I must play and the cues I must take when
  old men lecture me, bureaucrats hector me, mountains
     frown at me, lovers laugh at me, the white
      waves call me to folly and the desert calls 
         me to doom and the beggar refuses
           my gift and my children curse me.


I am not yet born; console me


Georgina - if only I could make some consolation, some provision, some rehearsal for you.
I only wish I could.
I'm sorry you never went outside. There was no water, no grass, no trees, sky or birds. I can only hold out for the white light.
There was no time and your prayers, if you made any, hung unanswered on the air and evaporated upwards, accompanied by my own.

Jessica - you are born. Sometimes I feel as though I've only just noticed.
You are the child that you are now.
This is the child.
This is the child who lived.
This is the child who lives.
No matter how many prayers I pray before birth, none of them bring goods for you.
Because that time has passed.

27 comments:

  1. Hauntingly beautiful. As are both your babies. As are you.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a beautiful child and so well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful- thank you. approaching the anniversary of my baby's birth/death. i so appeciate this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This child is beautiful. I wish Georgina was there to share the icing.

    I very much love the image of Jessica chasing you around with her book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello there, amazing jessica.

    i used to read to my belly too. the second time around, that is. i was not so sentimental before (yet).

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a beautiful, powerful post. truly.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply beautiful and heartaching, Catherine.
    It's unbelievable how Jessica is now, I love her gaze and her lips. :-)
    Even if Georgina is not physically here, you are mothering her ever so lovingly.
    hugs and love to you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica is a beautiful little girl, and I laughed at the idea of her stealing the buttercream!
    Another thought provoking and beautiful post Catherine. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear fairy tale Jessica, you are beautiful and people you will probably never meet are sending love your way.

    Oh Catherine, I wish you had both hands full of daughters.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow. Catherine thank you so much for sharing your girls with me. Sending you so much love xx
    PS: You have a book in you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post and beautiful girls.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful little girl - and a haunting post. Those lines of poetry sent shivers through me, beautiful, poignant and hauntingly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful words from a beautiful mom with beautiful daughters.

    Sending love...

    ReplyDelete
  14. She is so beautiful, Catherine! What a gorgeous face! I can't wait to meet her... and you!!!

    When I was pregnant, I practiced yoga every day and meditated to my babes (both Gwennie and Henry). I think it's wonderful that you read poetry!

    Sarah xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. blow me like thistledown hither and
    thither or hither and thither
    like water held in the
    hands would spill me.


    Precious, beautiful girls with a precious, beautiful mother. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read this yesterday and wanted to think before I posted. Well, today all I have to say is this is so powerful. You are such a lovely mother! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Catherine, she is absolutely beautiful. Those eyes- you could get lost in them forever. Your daughters- both of them- are so very lucky to have you for their mother. Lucky, beautiful girls that you are taking care of so well- even though they are not both able to be there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. She is gorgeous, Georgina's little sister. And those eyes are wise beyond her year(s).

    I think it's beautiful that you read poetry to your girls. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. omg... look at those eyes and those cute lips. I had a good giggle imagining how she's chasing you around with books. That's what you get for reading to your belly... ;)
    I just wish both your girls could chase you around...

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. There's no mistaking it . . . that IS the same face. What a sweet little face.

    Always thinking of you and wishing you peace, my friend. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. She is amazing.

    Your girls are beautiful, remembered and loved.

    ReplyDelete
  22. gorgeous... both your post and your daughters.

    those eyes... those beautiful eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a stunningly beautiful little face, with the soul and guardian angel to match, Im sure.
    Thank you for sharing the poem, it was especialyy appreciated as it was Ashlyn's date of birth yesterday...
    I used to read, and talk to my belly too :)
    Sending hugs, from one "doting" mother to another.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Catherine, I read this post several times and simply didn't know what to say. Your words are so powerful as is your love for your children. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Like Seraphim, I find myself at a loss for words, for your own are so powerful, so beautiful, anything I could say would be too much.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Remembering both your miracles! The one who walks and the one who soars!
    Blessing to you friend!
    Beautiful- beautiful- beautiful!!!
    Hugs-
    L

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow - stunning. Your daughters and your words. Sending much love.

    ReplyDelete