Monday 28 March 2011

Antenatal

We stand in the hospital car park, collapsing into one another.
I sag, my belly pulling me forward, my head bowed.

A thin voice from somewhere very far away says, "I just want my little girls back. I just want my girls."
The thin voice is mine.
I think.

The sunshine is frail, the air is cold and it burns the mixture of salt and phlegm in my throat and around my eyes.

He looks at me, confused.
He says, "It's still like yesterday to you, isn't it?"

Perhaps it is the proximity to the building. My daughters were born there. This baby will be born there. I'm worried I'll have to go back into that same room on the tour of the delivery ward to be held after this break is over.

It is not a pretty building. Squatting squarely on the horizon in grey concrete.
Sometime I can walk past and not even notice that it is there.
Sometimes I walk past and remark cheerily to Jessica, "Do you remember that building? You used to live there on your own when you were a baby. There's your room, behind that window. Mummy and Daddy used to come and visit you everyday? You and your sister were born there my darling. Do you remember?"
Sometimes it is just a place, just a building, tuned out alongside the rest of the surroundings.

But sometimes I feel like I can reach back through concertinaed folds of time and tap my former self on the shoulder. I trudge down the stairs. I once jumped down these same stairs, trying to persuade twin 1 to turn around for an ultrasound. Another spring. Tantalisingly close, just out of reach.
It's only been a year,
two years,
three years.

It isn't far away.
Perhaps not quite yesterday but . . . close.
I feel as though I've failed. Because I don't know how to fix myself, how to stop myself returning to this same worn out spot. To a memory that is so fuzzy that it is probably now half a fiction.

Perhaps it is because I'm still hoping to find a few more memories of that little girl.
Another image, another glimpse.
Perhaps I don't, in truth, want to stop going back.
I want to hang out in August 2008 forever, that month that held out so much happiness, that held my little girl's entire life. Why would I want to leave it?

Except for the fact that trying to stay there is ruining me.
And everyone else seems to be under the impression that it is 2011.

We go on the tour. We correctly identify forceps, ventouse, hospital gown, drip. We discuss the merits of TENS machines and epidurals. We count up the number of people who will be present if you have an emergency C section. Doctor, health care assistant, anaesthetist, midwife. One of the men is told to lie on the floor and he is then surrounded by people to illustrate how intimidating we might find this.

We are the only couple in the class with an older child. Nobody seems to think this odd. The beautiful young girl next to me is worried. I smile and say, "I wouldn't be doing it again if it were that bad would I now? Please don't worry."

I could never begin to explain the complex tangle of reasons, some of them surely dubious, that have brought me back to this building. I could certainly never tell her that I was also expecting a baby girl, born in this hospital, who died.

I feel so sure I could fix this, if only I knew how.
That I could leave it alone, pretend it never happened, that I could put it in one of those mental 'boxes' so beloved of my husband, so easy for him to open and shut at will. Never grasped that trick myself.
Or that I could just remember my dear little girl's short life and how much I loved her. Leave the rest to dust.

Walking up the stairs of the multi-storey car park after work, I catch myself thinking idly how pleasant it will be this summer.
When Georgina comes home.

Sometimes I wonder if I am now irreparably screwed up.

29 comments:

  1. I know that I'm irreparably screwed up. Sometimes I get in a panic wondering if R is actually C and I've been missing the wrong person this whole time. I know that there's a tiny bit of me that isn't convinced that this is permanent. It's just so hard to make the pieces fit.


    Best to you and the family. Sending much peace and strength to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want Georgina to come home to you. I want it fiercely for you. I still find it difficult to understand a world where that wont happen. A world where are daughters are dead. It's just so mind-bendingly unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are irrepairably beautiful C.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does it help to know you're not the only one? Because on the drive to Portland I went through phases of almost incandescent happiness, thinking I was going to get my baby and bring him back. I wish Georgina could come home, too.

    Thinking of you and your girls, and crossing my fingers for you and the new little one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is like yesterday for me as well. Every single day.
    Thanks for always managing to capture this pain so beautifully.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life will never be the same is such an understatement.

    When I had my rainbow baby I had to deliver at a different hospital. I could not go back to the one where my daughter had died. I hope and pray that you continue to find strength and peace as you bring your next child into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You havent failed, dear one... Nor are you screwed up. Simply a mother... a mother longing for her daughter. I so wish there was something that I could do... anything to bring Georgina back to you.

    Somehow, I think that, for many of us, "that day" will always be like yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. all of the "just a building" places can turn back into memories in only a second.

    i hope in some way, having a second living child will be healing to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to say that you are not screwed up at all.. but then a part of me deep within knows that being a bereaved mother leaves us irrevocably changed, perhaps looking screwed up to the world outside (or even to ourselves at times) and so who I am I to say different? I think that this life is hard. It is an entirely different existence that we live without our children, and that fact alone translates into something much bigger than anyone on the outside can understand. I wish so much for that alternate universe where we could once again be holding our babies. Sending you love....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Catherine, so much of what you say here I can identify with.
    i'm stuck in July 2009 waiting for my little girl to come home too, while everyone else is marching forward in 2011.
    "irreparably screwed up" yep that's me.
    Sending love Catherine, as always. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not screwed up. Human, amazing, inspiring. Much love to you Catherine xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't lost a child, but what one of your commenters above said seems to be true -- irreparably changed. How could you not be? I can't imagine what it must be like to be THERE, in that very place where your sweet Georgina lived her life. You are a braver and stronger woman than I to return and to be able to write so beautifully and honestly of your ezperience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are not screwed up, if you are I am too I promise. I too am stuck in the past (Oct 2009 for me) and I can't understand how the world keeps on turning sometimes. Those precious painful days will be etched in my mind forever, nothing can change that. It could be yesterday for us, I really feel that.

    Sending much love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I search for new memories of my son's face too. I go over and over in my head trying to find traces of his image while he was still pink and moving. If I could just find another new fraction of a second, what a treasure that would be.

    I sent this post to my husband, something I've never done before. This is how I feel, I wrote to him, because I've never been able to quite put it into words as succinctly as, "It isn't far away.
    Perhaps not quite yesterday but . . . close.
    I feel as though I've failed. Because I don't know how to fix myself, how to stop myself returning to this same worn out spot. To a memory that is so fuzzy that is probably now half a fiction."

    ReplyDelete
  15. First off, I second Lindsay. Second, after just having to go through visiting "the hospital" again (after over 3,5 years) it sent me into the same feeling-like-yesterday. The pain so raw, so fresh.

    I admire your strength to be able to partake in the tour, find lovely word to the worrying lady and do it all with such grace. Sending big loves... xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Catherine. Your words are so beautiful. You are in my thoughts every day now. You are a tender, courageous soul. Sending you strength & love.

    ~Christine

    ReplyDelete
  17. I smiled while I read this - I think because I could so identify with what you wrote. It's so beautiful and painful all at the same time. I feel a gentleness towards you and with myself at the moment. A brief acceptance that this is what life is for us... A longing for what can't be, and a slight surrender to what is. Thanks for sharing!

    Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You capture the complexity of it all beautifully. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  19. My thoughts are jumbled and I am tired and so i can't quite find the words I want, but this is beautiful and I identify with so much of it and my wish is that Georgina would come home, too. Thinking of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Catherine, I am in awe of you attending an antenatal class - and doing so with such amazing grace. You are amazing.

    Then place I'm in right now is a little different. Oct 08 feels very, very far away now. It isn't but, right now, I'm feeling very removed from it and that is painful too. I feel like I lost my daughter (again) somewhere on the way.

    I wish there was some possible wayto bring back our daughter ... I wish, I wish.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know I'm irreparably screwed up.

    I can close my eyes and go to July 2006, and February 2008 and August 2009, those days seem like yesterday.

    I remember how scared I was of childbirth. Now it's just something to get through and hope like hell your baby is still alive.

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am not as strong as you are, though I'm sure you don't feel very strong. I can't face my old midwife. No...instead, I've run away from homebirth into a birth center where a new midwife will care for me. I couldn't do the same walk...not when it is all the same timing. I also can't go to the hospital where....it all happened.

    no...I can't. I don't know how you are finding the strength...but you are. And, I'm proud of you. This PAL road is so rocky and painful, and none of it's beauty or hope erases the longing for that which we do not have. I'm sending you much love...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Part of me died the same day he did. Part of me is still there, in the delivery room, holding him, loving him, saying goodbye. It's normal, what you are feeling, but knowing that you are "normal" doesn't help.

    You will get through this, I promise. Hugs and much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. "Sometimes I wonder if I am now irreparably screwed up." I wonder the same thing about myself on a daily basis. xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sometimes it feels like just yesterday, other days it feels so far away. I'm not sure which is worse.

    ReplyDelete
  26. "Perhaps I don't, in truth, want to stop going back."

    It is so hard to move forward some days... it's as though if I move forward I will forget. I would like to go back. Even if the outcome were the same there are some things about October 1, 2009 that I would do in a different way. Would it help? Probably not because when it comes down to it, the result is that my baby would still no longer be with me and I am sure I would continue to dwell on what more I would have liked to do and say anyway.

    So unfair.

    You are a beautiful mom... and just as screwed up as the rest of us, if that helps! I find comfort in knowing that there are others who feel the same. We have lost a child, how could we not be screwed up?!

    Thinking of you always.

    x <3 o

    ReplyDelete
  27. All of it, nail on the head. Sending you love, hope, forgiveness (though I know you will never take the last, as I will not either) for all that has happened before. It IS possible to find joy again, I know it is.
    Love,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  28. thinking of you my friend. you haven't been in my blogroll since i had a major screw up with it and i realized tonight that i was missing you.
    i hope all is well and i apologize for my long and accidental absence.
    xoxo
    lis

    ReplyDelete