Monday 18 April 2011

Stretch

The elusive state of 'heavily' pregnant, that I seem to have been chasing for such a long time, makes me feel like a balloon.
A void with a thin scraping of me over the surface.
A hole filled with mysterious, shifting flesh. Digesting, fluttering, breathing, expanding.
Muscles that move and twitch without being directly instructed.
And another consciousness flickering. Those same fleshy processes repeating themselves inside.
Only a duplicate this time. Forget the initial over ambitious triplicate process and the other that never even got off the ground. Goodbye to all that.
As I get bigger, as this baby grows, I feel as though I am shrinking, thinning.
Nobody wants to know what I am thinking, not really. To admit to any doubt or fear at this point would be somewhat impolite. Shocking. Ungrateful. So I stretch my lips into a smile and discuss names, age gaps, Jessica's likely reaction. My mouth is not quite stretchy enough to wrap round the words 'birth plan' or 'everything will be fine this time', not quite yet.
Sometimes I feel that I have been stretching my lips upwards for so long that my smile might even be genuine.
If a little taut.

I'm not even sure that I feel frightened any longer, it all feels so very far beyond my control.
I hold my belly and I can feel this baby's movements. New and strange. I barely felt movement from the twins before they were born. My scrabbling fingers reach to try and hold him here, to stop him slipping away from me. But, despite only being separated by skin, he feels as distant as his sisters. One with her own existence, one without.
His limbs stretch. My skin stretches to accommodate them.
We both stretch together.

***

I was worried that when I became a mother, particularly a mother of twins, that I would forget who I was. I was very concerned that I would lose the things that defined me, that I was proud of.
I was worried that I would lose (in no particular order). . . . friends who did not have any children, my husband, my figure, my career, my ability to walk in five inch heels, time to apply an entire face full of make-up, time to read books and watch films, the time and place to drink myself into a semi-silly state, my ability to concentrate, my ability to earn money. . . .the list goes on. All of these seem fairly stupid and trivial in the light of what I did lose, which was all of the above and then some.

To be honest, people who had children used to irritate me. They seemed smug, with their 'oh you'll feel differently when you have your own' and their 'you can't understand x, y or z until you've had children of your own' as though, by failing to reproduce myself, I had also failed some test of emotional intelligence or humanity. That I couldn't possible understand them with their mighty depths and their wondrous insights into the inner workings of the universe. Because they'd managed to do something as mundane and everyday as have children? Hrrumph. As I said. Irritating. I didn't appreciate being told that I simply couldn't understand them with their children. It hurt my pride.

But, as it turns out, there are a huge number of things that I cannot understand. Higher maths, other people, religion, the meaning of life, biology, death. If it is any consolation to me, at least I can say I'm not the only one.

I still don't understand those wise parents who told me that everything would become clear when I had children of my own. That I would be glad I hadn't taken that promotion, or a risk with a larger mortgage, or gone back to university. Because, at last, I would understand.

But, when my children were born, I understood less than I ever did. Big gaps opened up in the meagre little pile o' knowledge that I believed I had accumulated.
I became less like those parents I knew, less like anyone that I knew.
Other people's motivations and lives became even more incoherent and strange, not less.
An experience I thought would bond me to people, to my family . . . didn't. It just left me stranded, in a weird no man's land, where the only people I feel understand live inside my computer.

Sometimes when I look at Jessica, I am not entirely sure which one of us is, in fact, me. Perhaps it comes of trying to anticipate her, trying to understand her, spending so much time with someone who I can't really communicate a great deal with by way of the spoken word. Spending so long staring into those eyes and listening to those sounds. I press my nose into the back of her neck and, momentarily, want to merge us back together. Part of me wants to be her. I feel consumed. Perhaps all parents feel this way? All her life, I have watched Jessica. From outside an incubator, from across our living room floor. Watching. I spent hours every day for months simply watching Jessica because it was all I could do.

But, another part of me, is desperately trying to maintain a similar relationship with a child who is dead. Georgina consumes me just as much. It is hard to try and inhabit the consciousness of someone who is dead, who hardly lived, who I scarcely know. To understand my other daughter. To try and forge something from such a short space of time, without the feedback that we get from the living. Georgina will never smile or stamp her feet at me.
But I can't bring myself to let go of the threads that stretch between us. Be they all in my imagination or not. Perhaps they don't stretch to anywhere at all, simply loop towards me and bury themselves in my back.
But I know where I want them to go. To my child.

23 comments:

  1. Holding onto the threads with you dear Catherine. Much love to you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I understand this post so deeply I'm not even sure I can communicate it correctly.
    I spend so much time grasping for my daughter but there is so much I don't know and will never know about her because she never got to live out that life I dreamt of for her. I try to hang onto every piece of those few days she was here but compared to a lifetime with her? They will never be enough.
    And my subsequent pregnancy, it was SO difficult. I knew I should feel joyous and bond with my unborn son but I was so drained by anxiety and grief that I just wanted him to be here.
    You are in my thoughts as you get through the days. I know it is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That song just took me right back to my teens, I'd forgotten about it, beautiful lyrics.
    Ernest was singing along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always...beautifully expressed. I still wish you would submit something for our next issue of Exhale...you've got such a VOICE. Sending you warmth and the understanding that comes with not being able to be really sure things will be alright. ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... Just wow...

    What a deep piece of writing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I wish I had just re-absorbed R. Giving her away (or back or up) is just so hard. No man's land, indeed.

    As usual, you've hit the nail on the head with this post--I'm assuming that you got the subsequent pregnancy part right as I'm not as brave as you are, friend.

    I'm sending all of my most hopeful and supportive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure I know where to start either, as this seemed to be full of my own thoughts. Are you sure you don't swim about inside my head when I sleep?
    I think this really summed it up for me:
    "An experience I thought would bond me to people, to my family . . . didn't. It just left me stranded, in a weird no man's land, where the only people I feel understand live inside my computer."
    That is why, I am so very, very grateful for the mothers like you. When no one else gets me, you (and others), do.
    Give that gloriously large belly a rub for me. I'm so glad you've reached this special stage of a pregnancy, and so sorry you were robbed of that (and so much more) with your girls.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. So freaking amazing. I hope these last few weeks can be something close to peaceful for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Catherine... that thread at times seems to be all that we know.. all that keep us connected to them. Thinking of you with love and light...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post is completely perfect, Catherine.

    Sending lots and lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember being very quiet when people spoke to me about birth plans and "after the baby is born" - I think I know that smile you write about.

    I want to believe that Georgina is holding the other ends of those threads, somewhere, somehow.

    Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another one who identifies with so much of your thoughts but who lacks the words. I too feel that I know so much less after losing Ava, I have numerous questions and yet no answers.

    I also feel those threads between me and both of my daughters. I fight to keep those threads tightly held for Ava and I think I understand too what you mean about merging with Jessica. Sometimes Ophelia is me and I am her. I cannot distinguish myself at all.

    Wishing you much peace and gentleness as always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are amazing. You words are amazing. Georgina will always be with you. A part of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love to read the thoughts you share.
    Sometimes I wished that there was a place where I could hibernate until I had Ingrid, just to be out of the glare of attention that being pregnant and big after a loss garners. Talking to people about the pregnancy seemed at times like irritating a wound.
    I will love to see pictures and hear about this sweet one on arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing that song, it's beautiful, as are you. Holding onto hope with you. I understand and am sending much love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "It all feels so very far beyond my control." Isn't it though? That's why I don't really believe in birth plans. Yet some how we feel responsible even though it's out of our control. Sigh. Keep stretching, you and your boy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Somehow you are able to take this mess, this painful, painful mess, and put it all out here beautifully. Amazing. It takes away my words and I don't know what to say other than Thank You and Thinking Of You And Yours and Hoping With You. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Catherine, your writing takes my breath away. You write stuff and I think "yes" although I never realised I was thinking it until that moment.

    I never once said "it'll be fine this time" - not once in nine months. How could I possibly know that?

    Keep stretching with your beautiful son. We're hereand we're rooting for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sally said it right... are you sure you're not living inside our heads (instead of us living inside your computer)?

    Perfectly put:
    An experience I thought would bond me to people, to my family . . . didn't. It just left me stranded, in a weird no man's land, where the only people I feel understand live inside my computer.

    So beautifully written. Hugging you and that belly tight and sending much love! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad you posted--been thinking loads about you. I too, understand so much less than I used to. And I both hate it and find that it's ok. No words of wisdom from me, just understanding. And hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a moving post.

    I visited here just to let you know that your blog has been nominated in the MAD Blog Awards for UK parent blogs.
    If you’d like to find out more about the awards and the prizes on offer, then head over to www.the-mads.com.
    We will be publishing details of all the nominees in all the categories on Monday morning, and nominations are open until 5pm that day – so if you’d like to take part, make sure you encourage all your friends, family and readers to keep nominating!
    Best of luck and well done on your nomination.
    Sally
    The MAD Blog Awards

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hoping all is well and that you are continuing to streeeetch....

    ReplyDelete
  23. I so relate to the smugness you mentioned of women saying you don't understand until you've had your own children. I don't quite think they understand how condescending and patronizing that sounds. Women with children typically irritate me more than anything else. I think I need to examine this and blog about this myself. I have a living child but have such trouble relating to other parents most days.

    ReplyDelete