Friday 19 August 2011

Dots

She peers at them, the silvery marks on the backs of her hands. "Dots Mum-mee," she says. "Look, dots."
I stoop and pass my thumb over them, admiringly.
"Yes, darling. Dots."

Those strange, inverted stretch marks that cover the backs of her hands instead of my stomach.

And, even nearly three years later, the guilt is still strong enough to pin me down to the soil.


In August, the air around her is thick with ghosts, making it difficult to focus.
The quivering in the air where one stands where could have been two. Or none at all.
And the ghosts of other girls.
Ones with no scars on their hands.
Others where those scars would be the least of it.

The ghost of myself. As I was. Or as I would be now. With two. With none.
Even Reuben becomes indistinct. Lost in that shimmer of imaginings.
Then everything resolves again. Refocuses. And I carry on.


It's four in the morning here.
I woke up suddenly. And, in that haze between waking and sleeping, imagined that all of this had been some protracted fever dream. Terrible and strange.
Relief washed through me. That I could let go. Of this experience that still makes my fingers twitch into fists and my jaw muscles clench. Even after all this time. Some part of me is obviously hoping that I can fight it off, defend my family, even nearly three years after the fact.
If only my left hook is strong enough.
Not us, please. Not today.

But it's mine. Mine to keep. Hers to keep. Ours to keep. This experience. No amount of jaw clenching or punching at the empty air is going to change matters.
And, usually, I am ok with that.
But sometimes, at four in the morning, whilst everyone else is asleep, you'll still catch me very sad.
Very sad indeed.
So sad that I can't sleep.
And I haven't anywhere else to go other than here.

21 comments:

  1. And I'm here with you. If that provides any comfort.

    I still have nights like that too, even eight years on. Thankfully, not that often now, but they're always a possibility.

    ((HUGS)) thinking of you all this next week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking of you always my friend.
    xoxo
    lis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending love your way Catherine. As usual you have managed to capture so much, so beautifully. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ghosts and sadness, indeed. There was something abut year three tome that made the whole month feel more trying. Maybe we're only built to put up with something horrible for 3 years at a stretch and then we expect it to be over already.

    You are a wonderful mama to all three of your children and this is a beautiful tribute to your girls. Thinking of you as their third birthday approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thinking of you during your girls' month. thank you for your sweet words over at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *sigh*

    yes.

    love to you always

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do the same. You know, you've seen my blog. That moment when you wake and for that split second it seems like just another moment, but then you realise that it all really happened. I don't know why I still have those moments, after five years. But I don't expect them to ever go away now. I think they'll be with me forever. The legacy of dead children. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those long hours somewhere between late night and early morning are often my worst. Everything around me is so quiet and still that it's just too hard to fight it or try to stifle it anymore.


    Praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes - the shimmering air around the living children. I get that too. Sometimes the air is so thick with ghosts.

    Lovely, poignant song.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of you and the ghosts of August

    ReplyDelete
  11. Squeezing your hand and thinking of you & your girls as you near the 3 year mark. It is such a tricky thing to stretch your parenting across both these worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "In August, the air around her is thick with ghosts, making it difficult to focus."

    So true. Thinking of you during another August we'll have to get through. Hoping you'll always come here on those dark sleepless night.

    Sending love your way. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Catherine. Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes. You've captured it beautifully. I so wish that middle of the night relief was real. Thinking of you and the girls this heavy August.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awake with you here in the early hours, my air thick with the ghosts of place not time.

    Oh to wake up out of the dream, with those ghosts alive in our midst.

    Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My heavy August days have now past (and who, what a week) but I sit with you here now, holding your hand, as you prepare for your big days.
    You're never alone, dear friend.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have always been glad--if glad can even be used in relation to my son's death--that he died in winter, that the weather, the skies, the temperature, all fit with how I felt while grieving him. I don't know if it makes any sense, but I was--am--grateful that at least the outer world matched my inner world. Because I hate winter anyway, and Ben dying was just one more reason to hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thinking of you and your girls on these heavy August days. It's a hard place to be, knowing you can't fend off what happened but trying to, sometimes, anyway.

    Much love,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thinking of you in these next hard days...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I often look at the tiny scars on their hands (Maya's especially, because she is so far) and can see the countless IV pinpricks... and that guilt, that overwhelming guilt...

    Sending hugs and loving thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think acceptance is an ongoing thing... a sort of to-ing and fro-ing. I'm nowhere near accepting it all, but recently, the ground gave way a little and I sort of clicked that he was gone - if that makes sense. My logical mind had understood that death means gone, absent forever, but somehow my heart hadn't read the message. Now, I think it's beginning to permeate.

    And those lonely moments in the night are just awful. When the rest of the world is happily snoozing... it's so isolating and sad.

    ReplyDelete