Monday 29 August 2011

Georgina

The day before your birthday, I woke up with a streaming cold.

It was raining.

I'd been trying to get a stain out of your sister's T-shirt but I must have left the stain remover on for too long and, when I went to rub the stain away, I rubbed a hole in the sleeve of the T-shirt instead.

I made your sister some porridge, a strange breakfast for late August, but she likes it. I wonder if you would have too. I still wonder about little things like that.

As I turned around to talk to your sister, I knocked the bowl of porridge off the top of the kitchen cabinet with my elbow and smashed it. Her favourite Peppa Pig breakfast bowl. And her porridge went all over the floor. And there was no more milk.

I picked up the ruined T-shirt, the smashed bowl and the porridge. I put the whole mess in the bin.

Your brother started crying. I wanted to cry too. For the T-shirt I'd just put a hole in. For the porridge that I'd made and then spilt. For the bowl that I couldn't fix. For your sister's bewilderment, still waving her hopeful spoon about, waiting for her breakfast. For all my good intentions heaped in the bin. But, you know, that's not the real reason I wanted to cry.

I can find pathos in anything these days. A broken Peppa Pig bowl leads me back to you. Spilt porridge leads me back to you. To you. The most irretrievably broken thing in my life.

I go onwards, not really knowing what I'm doing.
Hoping that I'm not messing up too badly but suspecting that I am.

I miss you. I wish you were here. I couldn't promise you a perfect life, you might not always have got your breakfast on time. Or indeed, got the breakfast that you had been led to expect. Some mornings we have to make do with toast instead of porridge. Even when you could have sworn that there was porridge cooking five minutes earlier.

Your T-shirts and your prized breakfast bowls might have disappeared mysteriously, leaving you wondering where they went.

But I wish you could be here. Down here, in this mess. Because this is all I know and it is all I have. This strange world where we all stumble around blindly, bash into a few things, knock up against a few other people and then leave.

Occasionally there is a brief glimmer of something that looks like beauty, that looks like sense. Amidst the spoiled breakfasts and rain. Sometimes I suspect that those things do, in fact, actually exist and I'm looking at the real deal, not merely a resemblance or a fraud.

Wish you were here my girl. To catch those glimmers with me.

23 comments:

  1. Nothing's ever completely right again, is it? I wish Georgina were still with you, making your life just that extra bit more chaotic. Best to you and your family. Remembering Georgina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just not fair Catherine. I miss her for you. I miss all of them. I get that too. All those everyday, mundane things bring us back to our babies and it's another battle of the mind that goes on. Spilt milk (or porridge), we sure do cry over that.
    x Little Georgina x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing she could be by your side. Thinking about you on this day and wishing I'd be closer (I repair broken favourite bowls in no time). Much love! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Catherine. Wishing Georgina were here to catch those moments, beautiful or not. Remembering her with you and sending love. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'm crying over spilt milk, too. So striking the way the small losses evoke the very large ones.

    Thinking of you and remembering Georgina. I wish she were there with you, too, adding to the mess and catching lots of glimmers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remembering Georgina today (and all days). Wishing she was here in the mishmash of brokenness and beauty and aching that she isn't xox.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want to give you a hug. And sit a cry with you, while you tell me about your precious first born. I'd also clean the porridge for you, while I was at it.
    I'm so sorry, Catherine. I wish she was here.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've but it so well, the good and the bad—the glimmers amidst the mess and how the mess is part of it all really. How I wish your girl was with you, getting spattered porridge wiped off her face with a ruined t-shirt. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Catherine. I wish she was there with you too. For all the messy breakfasts and accidental-ness of family life. Thinking of you on her and Jessica's birthday and hoping you get some glimmers of your beautiful Georgina in the candles on the cake. xxxxx h

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how I wish, too, Catherine. Wishing you as many glimpses of beauty as you can capture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just wish I could give you a big hug Catherine. Nothing is as it should be, and wonder if I will ever stop wishing that it were.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking of you and Georgina today. The combination of the girls' birthdays and the anniversary of Georgina's death makes for a very complicated extra helping of mess and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so gorgeous, and so encapsulates those feelings of helplessness and grief. Remembering your Georgina with you. With love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So wishing she could be there in the mix with you, telling you she'd love some toast instead of porridge. Missing your beautiful Georgina with you.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Remembering you, little one, and your lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so beautiful Catherine and perfectly states this life we live in. It is so hard to live life wishing for what we will never have, living with arms that are almost full but feel empty. Sending you lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Occasionally there is a brief glimmer of something that looks like beauty, that looks like sense. Amidst the spoiled breakfasts and rain. Sometimes I suspect that those things do, in fact, actually exist and I'm looking at the real deal, not merely a resemblance or a fraud."

    You express it so beautifully...all the complexities and nuances of this life...

    Always remembering Georgina ♥ ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I love that your son's middle name is after his sister...so sweet.
    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish she were here too. Always remembering your beautiful Georgina with you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. ((((Catherine))))

    Lots of love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just wanted you to know I was here, and I read, and I loved this post. Totally relatable and beautifully written, as always. ~lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  22. Here and remembering Georgina with you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. J waving her hopeful spoon broke my heart just that little bit more.

    So wrong that Georgina isn't here, wondering where her porridge has gone. So utterly wrong.

    Three years. It's nearly two for me. It seems impossible.

    ReplyDelete