Friday 27 January 2012

Joining in

It has been 3 years, 4 months and 29 days since the 29th of August 2008, the date of Georgina's death. Since Angie's Right Where I Am project, I tend to check more often. Who knew there was even a handy site to help you do just that. I never could bring myself to install one of those tickers, so I could see her fading off into the distance.

I don't know who I am. I used to be a person. Now I feel like a conduit. Just an empty tube for pouring feelings through. Love seeps out of my fingers on to skin, hurts drip slowly through, saturating to collect in a pool. I long to feel . . . nothing. Just nothing at all. Because I don't want to feel and reflect and ponder any more.

Pondering is nice, thinking is nice, melancholia can even be pleasant. But the price was too high. I don't want insight, I don't want to understand, I don't want any of this.

I have to join in again. Worse and more impossible still, I have to want to join in again. With the world as I used to know it. To play nicely with others. For the sake of the two children I have with me, if not for myself.

I go into the post office, bearing my bead to join a birthing necklace in one hand and Reuben tucked up under my other arm.
The lady behind the counter wants to know why I am sending a single bead all that distance.
"For a friend of mine who is having a baby, it's to make a necklace with. Many people across the world will be sending one and she will string them together to wear when she gives birth."
"Ooo must be an American thing."
It's quite common amongst women who have lost a baby at, or shortly after, birth actually.
"When is the baby due?"
"February I think. She's having a planned section so I should really know the date."
"Ooo, I've only ever had sections." Wistful sigh.
"Well, I'm sure that every way of giving birth has its good and bad points."
I don't like the way this conversation is heading and I need to get out of here. Panic is starting.
At this point the older lady behind me starts asking to see the baby. So I'm turning around to let her see Reuben's face and trying to maintain two conversations, one with the lady behind me in the queue and one with the lady behind the counter. My blood is throbbing around my brain.
"I had two babies you see."
If you think I'm responding to that you've got another thing coming lady. You with your wistfulness over your section births that presumably resulted in babies that lived and now I know exactly what you are going to tell me next. You're really pushing my buttons here.
Slightly raising her voice, "Twins you see."
Whoop-de-doo, how very nice for you.
"Yes, I've heard you often have to have sections with twins as they are slightly more risky aren't they. Thanks for your help. Bye now."
Smile until I get to the doorway.
Crumple the moment I get outside.
So did I. I had twins too. But it all went wrong and I'm now I'm broken and I can't talk about normal things anymore. Sometimes I think I shouldn't go outside of my own house anymore. I don't want to join in, I don't want to play. 


Surely it shouldn't still hurt so very much. How can I stop this happening? This crumpling. How will Jessica feel when she is older and I cry every time that somebody mentions twins? That isn't fair, I have to do better than this.

But sometimes I feel that is all I am now. A hurt. I hurt and I hurt other people by still being hurt. A flinching anticipation of being hurt. Exposed. Scrabbling around trying to tie something around myself. Every morning I try anew, to be braver, to smile, to be sociable. Then the world scrapes on my skin and I only want to get back in my car and turn the heater up and cry.

So I get back into the car and switch the radio on.
It's Woman's Hour. They are talking about when you should announce your pregnancy. To avoid raising the hopes of others. I'm thinking . . . ummm, after the baby is born. Possibly not even then.

Then they are interviewing a group of pregnant women on this issue, when to choose names, when to tell people. One says, laughing, "When we were choosing names we went round the cemetery. Because, well, they're not using that name anymore." Giggles.
And I can only think of her calling her baby Georgina Jane. Even though Georgina doesn't even have a grave, let alone a stone with her name on it.

And I sit. And I think to myself, I can't join in. Not with this.

My not joining in feels like defeat. But equally, joining in would also feel like defeat.
So I sit. Ready to fight. Wanting victory. But very uncertain as to how to achieve it.

22 comments:

  1. Ok, my brain is so blown by the pregnant woman on the radio that I find myself unable to comment on the real topic.

    Also, the idea of not telling to not get people's hopes up is freakish to me. The same people that I'd want in my life to celebrate a good outcome are the people that I NEED in my life to celebrate a bad one.

    That said, I'm having trouble telling people about these two, but I think that's more about me and my damage than what I think about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that lately I have to at least pretend to join in, it's so hard though, and I have to come here and to the blogs of those like me to feel safe again.
    We are never going to fit in really are we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we're just changed and those previous nice, innocent, light conversations that we used to engage in are just so damn loaded now. I now avoid them like the plague. I think it will always hurt that we have one missing. Remembering Georgina. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very...irritated, yes, I'll stick with that...by the woman on the radio. The kind of irritated that comes with grumbling and snarling and my old friend, the desire to throttle.

    This is so familiar to me - feeling like I need to start joining, to perk up, to be the kind of mom other moms will want to hang out with so that Dot doesn't end up with no friends or play dates. I mean, if she decides she wants to be emo kid at some point, I can handle it - so long as it's her decision and not directly related to my introvertedness and fear and inertia.

    I keep hoping all of this will get easier, that you'll step outside some day soon and meet some lovely, thoughtful, friendly person who will want to discuss - oh, art, or writing, or the poetic sensibilities of the Mountain Goats, or just something interesting but not pregnancy-related. Because the bravery of setting foot outdoors should be, at least occasionally, rewarded. Even groundhogs sometimes get to see sun instead of shadows. Or so goes the legend.

    Sorry that was so long and ranty. I love this post. I wish there weren't ambushes lurking in every post office. I hate that you ran into such a particularly awful, tailor-made ambush.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I don't even know what to say other than this so resonates with me. I so want to "fit in" with other moms I've been getting to know - moms who are parenting their first child. And well, I'm parenting my first LIVING child, but... but I don't quite fit in with these moms (or I don't feel like I fit in). And for Allie's sake, I wonder if/when I'll even feel like I belong - or like you said, WANT to belong?

    Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will often join in, on the condition that I get to talk about my dead daughter. I'm less fussed about people thinking that that is morose / morbid now - it isn't - it's just my parenting experience.

    Sometimes the person I'm talking to crumbles a little or feels awkward when I mention Z and what happened. But I think it is okay to share the crumbling around a little bit - it makes me feel less alienated, and the other person has the chance to know more - to realise that pregnancy isn't always just light and fluffy filler conversation - that it can also be a scary, vulnerable time. That's not me putting a negative spin on it - that is the reality of human child-bearing.

    Sending love and thinking of your beautiful twins. xxxxxh

    ReplyDelete
  7. The thing is, after a baby dies, life becomes loaded...Every conversation loaded. Evrey thought I have is LOADED. Our minds are always on our children, so when someone else is talking about something, anything it is loaded. Women talk about babies and birth. All so whimsical and light...even the horror stories seem whimsical and light when you have a dead baby their miraculously their child was spared. UGH. I am sorry you are having a rough time connecting to... I force myself to connect to... and I think sometimes I cry more because of it but I do it for my son. I just wish it wasn't at the expense of my heart. Sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh part of me wants to slap the smugness off of people when they wistfully talk about how easy and wonderful everything was in the pregnancy and subsequent live births. I know that sounds rash.. it is what it is I suppose.
    We are so changed as women and as mothers.. we hear things with different ears and see things with different eyes. and we certainly fell with a very different heart.
    Sending hugs mamma.. and hearing about these beads- this is a lovely idea indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh C, that's those moments where I realize how different my life will always be. We just don't fit in any labeled drawers in RL - thats why I'm so thankful to have my blogging friends to understand this new normal. Always here for you... xo

    (Would love to know more about the birthing-necklace. Love the thought but never heard of it before.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Catherine. I know.

    Always pondering. Always viewing everything through the eyes of loss. Always on guard in a conversation. "if I say this it will lead to this and then this and then I'll end up here and then you'll feel awkward and I'll feel sad and bad that you feel awkward and so on and so on..."

    If it ever becomes possible to take a holiday from my brain, I'll be so so tempted. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. the day you posted this, T bought a lottery ticket. the jackpot was $146 M. I was hoping that we'd win and I could buy an island for all of us.

    I think this is one of those cases where I probably would have mentioned R just to cut through the clueless smug on that woman. I've only deployed R this way once when a woman was going on and on to me about the challenges of her twins while we watched our kids all playing together. It wasn't my best moment..then again, it probably wasn't her best moment either.

    I go back and forth between feeling like I need to rejoin the 'real' world where babies don't die and feeling like it's everyone else that needs a reality check.

    Given the nature of your errand at the post office, it seems like you are joining in, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now, one of the few times I really feel like I am "joining in" something, is when I read a blog post like this one.

    It's like having a visitor in that brain that, like Louise said, I can't escape with a vacation.

    Among countless reasons to avoid many (most?) people IRL...I get the impression they "feel" my separation and desire to avoid a good many topics - and misjudge and resent it.

    I really can't bear the little pep talks. They are so out of place in my world, and yet, people can't seem to stop themselves.

    I'm not depressed - something I'm sure they'd assert, if they could get close enough - but I am sick of stumbling through the mine fields.

    I like it a LOT better on your blog, Catherine W.

    Thanks for giving me words for all of it, again. You are really good at that.

    Love,

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also, Hanen, I want to be brave like you. But I stink at it.

    I admire you very much for this:

    "But I think it is okay to share the crumbling around a little bit - it makes me feel less alienated, and the other person has the chance to know more...."

    Maybe that's what I'm avoiding. The other person knowing more. I just can't bear hearing what they say when they do.

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  14. As I progress this pregnancy, I think about that ol' 'joining in' thing a lot... If all goes well (pleeeeaaaassseee let it) I will have had the best part of a year to grieve Seamus, before having to start joining in again for the sake of this little one.

    I think it must have been so utterly difficult for you - there you were, torn between two precious little girls - one that you needed to grieve, one that needed you to keep joining in life.

    I want with every cell in my body for things to go well with this baby. But that doesn't take away the terror of normal things like taking him to the park, Mum's coffee mornings, chats at the school gate at collection time... All because I don't think I could handle the casual chit chat like that post office lady, or the women on the radio. I'll be clenching my teeth so hard, they'll be ground to a pulp.

    Life has been cruel enough. We should not have to continue to endure these daily challenges. When do we get to genuinely join in again? To actually feel relaxed, and happy and at ease...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was beautiful writing Catherine, and heart breaking and full of insight (even though you don't want any insight). "Because I don't want to feel and reflect and ponder any more." I'm there too some days. I'm so SICK of feeling so deeply, I'm SICK of the self pity, SICK of social anxiety. I wake up every so often and try to just turn it all off.

    Three years is such a long time. And so damn short, too.

    I read every post, even though time doesn't always allow a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been rereading this for the past few days. Trying to find the right words to describe how I feel and how I relate. Of course I never seem to find the words that really fit. I hate the mundane these days. I want to join in for my living children but it seems to take so much more effort than I want to put forth. I imagine holding Jessica and knowing her sister is missing is just all the more difficult. Twins, yes you had them but I agree how do you talk about it all without feeling anxious and sad?

    I hope that a day will come when a casual conversation does not feel like daggers to the soul.

    Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i cant even read this because of the tears. the birthing necklace is such a beautiful idea.

    i MISS YOU friend. so much. thank you for the beautiful comment which helped me to get back on the horse and write tonight. im so glad i signed into blogger to see it. love to you and yours.
    xoxo
    lis

    ReplyDelete
  18. "I hope that a day will come when a casual conversation does not feel like daggers to the soul."

    Paula, I hear you.

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  19. I used to be a big joiner-inner. I'd talk to anybody about anything. Now when babies or birth or, well, really anything baby-related comes up, I mentally excuse myself and let my eyes glass over. I just can't do it.

    When cornered I find myself faking it as best I can. Which I hate. Either way feels like defeat, or denial.

    I am impressed you didn't punch the radio :)

    Lots of love to you--I love to read what you write, every single time.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just don't know how we stand it all, every moment, every day. Always damned if we do and damned if we don't. I am grateful for you, Catherine, and so sorry that we have any reason to know each other or to know this feeling so well. Sending love always. Remembering dear Georgina always.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ach - Women's Hour. I love and loathe it in equal measures. That would be one of the occasions when I would hate it.

    I have just started taking T. to various things. I sort of reached the point where I couldn't ignore the fact that, as amazing as I obviously am (!), he and I both needed more. My problem is over-sharing - I simply can't NOT talk about Emma when the occasion arises and I can see people visibly shrink away from the crazy lady with the dead baby but .. tough really, T and I play with the trucks in the corner and it sort of feels like some sort of half-hearted joining in that might just give him the sort of social skills that his verbal diarrohea mama lacks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't, but nine times out of ten I DO say I have/had twins too. I don't care if that means I'm bringing someone's happy news or happy story down. Their story is like knives in my heart at times, and anything I say that might "dim" their excitement for all of two minutes of their lives is NOTHING compared to the agony of a lifetime of loss. Anyway, I am not speaking directly to you on this, because I know you know all this already, and you are speaking to the fact that it is VITAL for twinlost moms to be able to better "deal" with hearing about others' twins. And I get that too. So I don't know, maybe I am going about things the wrong way, and I do need to stop and think about how my survivor will react to seeing me distraught about the twin thing. I never want her to feel "not good enough" on her own as an individual. But then, if in those situations I am silent about my having twins, I feel I am perpetuating the societal notion that things always go well...That things only went horribly during the Victorian Era. Anyway, sorry for the novel, just wanted to say I felt angry for you and with you when I read this, and I've been there, and it sucks, and what do you do? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

    ReplyDelete