Tuesday 17 January 2012

Shadow

A shadowy clot of people emerge from the fog. Hunched. Bunched.
They cross the road together as the traffic lights turn against me. Red in the dusk.
They seem overwhelming in number, although there cannot be more than twenty.
But so many.
Grown. So tall.
I am looking. For my daughter.
But the profiles are shadowy. They are too close together. Indistinguishable.
I might not even recognise my own kin at twenty paces.
My eyes strain.
And I am still waiting for my heart to leap.

They are each unique, their very difference, their heterogeneity, makes the lurching mass unbearable to watch. Somebody's son, daughter, husband, wife, lover.
Web upon web spinning out from each shadowy, curved head.
Squirming into the night air.
Sickening fragility.
Not a new thought.
And not one I have enough tenderness to contain.
I have just enough for myself and mine.

I teeter in my heavy, hurtling metal. Poised on one heel.

I look.
Amongst the grown.
But that place.
It is not for her.

Not for her.
The breath.
The mediocre bewilderment bedazzlement of her mother, that fool with the jangling bell.
The inconsolable wail of her brother when denied his feed.
The soft slurp slump sleep contentment of after.
The sturm und drang of her sister, blotchy and thwarted.
The rhythmic kicking of the feet on the back of the car seat, the thrash of the skull against the head rest.
The red light reflecting backwards through our eyes, the dark procession passing in front.
The breath.
Not for her.

12 comments:

  1. Hauntingly beautiful... Thinking of you. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The red light reflecting backwards through our eyes, the dark procession passing in front."

    Love the richness and mood of this - all of this - strong piece.

    Never tell me you're not a writer!

    xoxo,

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look at people in an entirely different light now... all those connections, all that fragility, all that diversity. I scan babies in prams, toddlers, older children, in the hopes of what? Seeing a glimmer of what could have been? Somehow it all comes back to my son, and all he'll never be, all he'll never experience, and the oblivion of passers by.

    Such a thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can get lost in your words, Catherine, and I'm always grateful when I do because when I come out of them I feel like I've gained something.

    Thinking of you and Georgina and sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful--you've really captured what it feels like to be forever searching for something that can't be found.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredibly beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I see what you see only my vision and the red light is blurred by tears or rain outside. That helps my brain think that is why I wouldn't see what I was looking for. My vision was skewed. lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For you: http://verakatehadley.blogspot.com/2012/01/confession.html


    <3 V

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the face of such beautiful, powerful writing, I don't know what to say. WOW maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ever beautiful. I'm always searching and wondering.. where are you my son? are you safe? will I ever be with you again?
    Your words dig deep.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sums it up. Wondering. Wandering. Waiting. Waiting.

    Incredible post.

    ReplyDelete