Saturday 3 March 2012

Dance Me To The End

We are dancing in the kitchen on Friday evening. I've left it too late to start cooking dinner and the children are grumpy. So I am trying to distract them from their growling stomachs and my own time mismanagement.

The music is Rimsky Korsakov's 'Flight of the Bumblebee' and our dance features Reuben as the eponymous bumble bee, chubby in bright blue stripes. Hovering, held up by my arms. He flies at Jessica, diving. Bzzzzzzzzzz. No sting though. Just a smile.

"No, no, Bay Reub" she shrieks. Delightedly.

The music changes. Something calmer. We are exhausted with our buzzing and swooping. I pick them both up, a feat that I will not be able to manage for very much longer.

We rest for a minute, three. I feel muscular and towering, one arm wrapped around each. So full, it feels as though there could not possibly be room for a third. And, for a moment, she is forgotten. My dear ashen baby daughter. She pales away to nothing. Nothing at all. And I don't know if I should feel guilty or if, for once, I am doing the right thing.

Then Jessica leans in, up close to my face. "Wake up Mummy," she says.

I wonder if she knows more than she lets on. That girl of mine. I wonder if that is what she has been trying to tell me all along.

"Wake up."

******

Increasingly I feel as though I am developing a very thin, tough surface. It has a high gloss finish. It is painted with enquiring, concerned eyes and a cheery grin. Sometimes that smile is genuine, at others, a rictus. I feel as though I am some sort of bizarre human shaped pinata. A small person trapped inside a large construction of papier mache, which I am furiously plastering away at from the inside.

Whack! Cue furiously internal plastering.
Whack! More furious internal plastering.
Fix. Fix.
Because I will not allow myself to be shattered.
That glossy surface has been hard won.
That cheery grin and concerned expression didn't come for free.
I will go to great lengths to maintain them.

Sometimes I catch the eye of a stranger on the street and think I see their own internal maintenance person flurrying about. Perhaps we should just knock heads with one another and see what falls out?

I am awake my love. My dear bird girl. Can you not see how hard I am working?
Of course you can't. I do hope you can't.
That's why I'm trying so hard, faster and faster, so that cracks will not develop on my shiny, smiling surface.

I don't contain sweets and toys. Sadly. I only wish I did. Then people could whack me and cool, fun things would fall out. Then I wouldn't mind being hit. Slings and arrows, step on down. You will only result in sweet and toys around these parts.

But rather, I only contain strange things. Not necessarily sad things. Or not only sad things, not any more. Just things that don't seem to want to shift. The jumper that I wore on the day that the twins were born lies on my floor. I still own it. I still wear it. Currently it is discarded, waiting to be added to the laundry basket.
I can't wear the T shirt I wore when I held Georgina as she was dying, that is in her box.
But the jumper?
It's there, being bright blue and attention seeking, on the floor, being just ever so slightly disconcerting.
Tempting me back there. Come on, dwell a little, try to remember. You know you want to.

And curious things. Things with long, thin fingers and large knuckles. Things that peer and poke and wonder. That is what you would get tumbling out if you managed to split my surface.

Curiouser and curiouser.
Muddled up with ironed clean sheets and numbers and poems written by only one poet.
A vast collection of unread books, a bewildered glance and an exasperated sigh.
But mainly, for the most part, the curious.

So I stumble down passageways, chasing these curious things, where they lead I don't know.
To the afterlife?
To meaning?
To nothing?
I don't know.
It's a recurrent theme, ignorance.
I'm sure that would come tumbling out, en masse, out of the Catherine W shaped pinata.
Should you choose to whack it a bit?
Enquiry and a blank answer. A useless combination.

But I hear the soft footfalls of my lost daughter.
She is racing ahead of me. She treads quickly and surefooted-ly through this murky place.
She is not human. Never was. Not really. And certainly not now.
Full of light and knowledge. So quick. She is laughing. She is delighted.

Her mother stumbles behind. Heavy. I trip. I say, "Wait. Please wait."
But she's gone.

I hear an echo.
"I know mama. I know. Wake up."

I am trying. My dear girls, I am trying.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, your words are amazing. They conjure sounds and images, and emotions that can be felt with a sting and a wisp. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. What a way with words Catherine. And the pinata analogy, so perfect.
    I wish you could catch her, your beautiful Georgina.
    Your Jessica is in tune I think. Maybe in tune with a feeling, but in tune nonetheless.
    Thankyou for sharing such beauty. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have clothes tucked away that I wore when I was pregnant with Claire. I sometimes pull everything in my closet back just to look at them... "Tempting me back there. Come on, dwell a little, try to remember. You know you want to."

    I plan on making a quilt (some day) of all of my favorite clothing that my babies wore when they were small... sadly I have nothing for Claire... just the clothing I wore when I was pregnant with her. Better than nothing, I guess.

    Your words are always so poetic, I find I lose myself in them. Thank you for taking me on your journey with your beautiful babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Sometimes I catch the eye of a stranger on the street and think I see their own internal maintenance person flurrying about. Perhaps we should just knock heads with one another and see what falls out?"

    One of many reasons I hardly get out, now. Internal maintenance stopped ticking. I ran out of paint and am broken.

    But you're in here and don't mind my shambles. Why travel?

    Funny how someone made to write might not know it. We'll be the judge of that.

    (Never stop.)

    xoxo,

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah one of my favourite songs.

    Beautiful words Catherine.

    There's a top that I wore when I gave birth to George that I have been wearing on and off for the last 3 years, until I became pregnant again, and now it's hung up in the wardrobe and I don't think I will ever wear it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful, as always. I love your words, they make so much sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant writing Catherine. I echo Groves copy/paste:

    "Sometimes I catch the eye of a stranger on the street and think I see their own internal maintenance person flurrying about. Perhaps we should just knock heads with one another and see what falls out?"

    I feel this often, and feel it strongly.

    Strange things abound,

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is it, exactly. And written so beautifully, I might add. The real world and the parallel world and the difficulty of staying fixed between the two.

    Now it occurs to me that I can't remember what I was wearing when R died. I suppose that's a mercy. If those clothes are still lurking around somewhere, I have no association with them. Most likely they've already made their way to the rag man.

    It may seem strange from the outside but, everything you say here makes sense to me, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. your words give me chills... so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you write. I don't know what I am made of these days. If we were to knock heads, well I might just have some crazy little aliens jump out and scurry away. ;)

    It is hard to wake up, because if we do then we have to admit that all of this really wasn't just a bad dream and life has moved forward without the missing ones. The memories they hold us while life and sweet little children keep telling us wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep reading but not commenting. I'm still here, just very quiet atm. your posts are gorgeous as always xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I binned the shirt I was wearing on the day we found out that Seamus had died. I remember I had taken time getting ready, I had specifically picked that shirt as it was one of my favourites - just a plain white embroidered shirt- soft and feminine, white and innocent... It was it's innocence that made me angry when I unpacked it back at home. I binned it, just like I binned our innocence and naivety - knowing we'd never get either back.

    I love the pinata image as well - I'm heartened and hopeful to hear that it's not all sadness inside...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I steel myself to read a blog of yours every now and then, and of course the title of this one lured me in. So searing(ly beautiful). Love the version of the Leonard Cohen song, love the lingering image of one as pinata. Painful and true, true, true.

    ReplyDelete