Sunday 15 July 2012

Distancing

In a book I am reading, The New Black, I stumble across the phrase anticipatory grief.

Defined by the book's author, Darian Leader, as follows: the painful realization that the object already contains the possibility of its non-existence. 

An object, by definition, contains the potential of its removal.
Object versus non-object.
Georgina versus the space that might have contained Georgina.
Myself versus the absence of me.
Because everything has impermanence built into it on the factory floor.
Like those clever washing machines that break down the day after the guarantee expires.

I often wonder why the loss of Georgina is so very, very painful to me.
Why, I believe, the loss of a child has a different quality to other bereavements.

I have grieved for the loss of others. For uncles, aunts, grandparents, friends. For relationships, friendships, love affairs, gone wrong and sour.
I have anticipatory grief for my parents who I expect, naively, to die before me.
As a child, one of my deepest fears and recurring nightmares was that my younger sister would be snatched away from me. In dreams she was engulfed by a giant manta ray, stolen by a tramp, taken by eagles and, on one memorable occasion, borne off by a motorbike riding pterodactyl.

Those dreams are probably the closest thing I have to a fore-runner of my grief for Georgina.
I mourn for her as if she were already dead because love and fear of her loss were always closely bound up in my relationship with my sister. I have mourned her for as long as I was aware of her existence.
Perhaps because she is my only sibling. And if she were to die, I would be alone. Alone with my parents? Alone if my parents died?
Who knows what caused the panic to set in. But it was the loss, at the heart. I could not bear to lose her. Because I love her so. And my brain seemed to need to conjure up scenarios where I did. Maybe in the interests of toughening me up. Didn't work.

The author describes the phenomenon of anticipatory grief as a distancing, often occurring in relation to one's parents. The parent ages, the inevitable approaches and, so, the child withdraws. Perhaps to preserve the parent as the all powerful, caring, strong image that is so important to the child. Even when the child is grown up. Because we don't want to see our parents, our mother, our father, doddery and uncertain and infirm.

I read about this so-called anticipatory grief and thought to myself, huh? Bunk! Who does that? Who retreats when their parents get old and ill? Surely it is the other way? We run towards them rather.

But oddly, in conversation with a friend of mine, anticipatory grief reared its head, sneakily. And I thought, ha! You might be being subtle and trying to snake past me but I see you, Mr. Anticipatory Grief. And now I have read BOOKS on the subject I can even name you for what you are.

She said, 'oh well I don't want to become too reliant upon my mother for companionship because, one day, she'll be gone. And if she was the only person I visited every day, imagine how I would feel when she died.'

Suddenly this strange thing that I didn't really believe in was right there. Waving about in my face. My friend distancing herself from her mother in anticipation of her mother's death. My friend who, was actually far closer to death a year ago than her mother has been as yet. Interesting, the dry, theoretical part of my brain observes.

But we don't experience, at length, anticipatory grief for our children. I experienced three days of anticipatory grief for Georgina. Three days when I knew she would, in all probability, die before me. Nobody conceives their children expecting that. It's always comes at us from the left-field. Because you only have months of preparation, at best. If best could ever be the right word.


I don't dream about my sister dying, not these days.
Perhaps I am now, at peace, with impermanence.

Hah! Who am I kidding?

But I don't think I would distance myself from death, from the process of dying.
Not now.
If Georgina taught me anything it is not to turn away.

I find that I am now interested in death. Not in a morbid gothic way. Not in a ghost-y spooky way.
But in that way that, should Jessica become interested in horse-riding, I would become interested in horse-riding. Jessica is interested in ladybirds. As a result, I keep an eye out for books related to ladybirds. Clothing with a ladybird theme.

One of Georgina's defining characteristics is her dead-ness. Thus, I am interested in death. I don't want to distance myself. I want to sit in graveyards and feel at peace. I want to read books about mourning. I want to know what anticipatory grief is.

I want to be closer to death. Not necessarily my own death. But I want to be on nodding terms. With my own death, my husband's death, my parent's death. I want death as an acquaintance. He took my daughter don't you know?

My husband says that this is always where I end up. At death. Her death.

Just trying to get closer. That's all.

If it were up to me, there would be no distance. And that puts me somewhat at odds with the majority.

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful... Haunting... Perfecty said (as usual!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just had a realization...something I was so unaware of until reading this post. I have no relationship with my middle brother. I avoid his calls and rarely talk about him. Now I know why, he has made some very poor choices and has been on the verge of death many times. I understand now that I anticipate his death. I am removed from him because because I can only picture him leaving this Earth. This makes me sad. Georgina gave you peace with Death. I thought Breadon had done that for me as well, my fear of my own death is nonexistent now. But I guess my fear of death for others has not changed.

    "My husband says that this is always where I end up. At death. Her death. Just trying to get closer. That's all." This I understand. At their deaths is where we will somehow always end up. It has become a part of how we stay alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That concept of anticipatory grief is very interesting. I have heard of people (that have lost a child) with subsequent pregnancies being very detached from the process and the baby growing inside them. Maybe this pertains to their situation as well? They are trying to prepare themselves, protect themselves from the hurt, by anticipating the death of this child too in case it happens again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Catherine. One of the books I read this Summer said that our knowledge of impermanence changes everything. That if we knew we would all live forever, we would be so different in ALL of our relatioships with others. It really is true, and mind boggling to think about.

    XO Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm...yes, I get it. I think, however, I have anticipatory death for my living children. However, I don't distance myself from them because I fear their deaths, rather I hold them closer so that I regret no lost hug or moment with them, should they actually die.

    Thank you again, Catherine, for another thought-inspiring post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine, your posts are so beautifuly written and thought-provoking. I understand always ending up at her death, too. After all, where else is there to end up without them here? I have also found myself more interested in death since my daughter died, and I believe you explain it well when you write that it is becoming interested in the things that interest your children (or the things that define them in the case of our children who are no longer with us). I think it only natural for a mother to want to be close to her child, and if death has her child, then to be intimate with death itself. We just want to feel close to them somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very strangely I almost feel like in the year before I conceived Aidan I was anticipating *something* going wrong. I was having panic attacks and a lot of trouble sleeping. As much as I was looking forward to getting pregnant (it took 8 months to conceive), I was also terrified. I think knowing I was going into it with a heart condition really frightened me. I was afraid of what could go wrong for both myself and my baby. So at 17 weeks, when Aidan's lack of fluid was diagnosed and we knew we might lose him, as much as it was a shock...it almost wasn't. It was like "oh yes, here it is...this is what all that fear and worry and dread was for". It was very strange (but also not?) to have all my worst fears come true. So I don't know if this qualifies, but it's the closet thing I've experienced to 'anticipatory' grief.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post really hit me. You see I was very close with my grandmother. She was one of my best friends and she was such an amazing and inspiring woman. I used to cry when I would think about her dying. I remember talking with my parents about how sad it made me to think of her dying. When my parents moved to another state my grandmother wanted to stay in her home but had macular degeneration and so I moved 3 hours home and changed colleges and we took care of eachother. I believe that is what family does for eachother. I loved living with her even though that made me miss my boyfriend (who is now my husband) because I left him behind when I moved those 3 hours away. I will always cherrish the time we spent the the 2 years I lived with her. One morning Aug 24th one of my closest friends was getting married. I needed to go to the store and asked my grandmother if she would like to go along or needed anything. She declined. I came home 30 min later and found her dead. I performed CPR on her but it didn't work...she would have been pissed if it had haha. I had to call my parents and tell my father that his mother was dead. I was really depressed for a good year after she died. Anyway...I had anticipatory grief. I missed her in advance...but that drove me toward her, not away from her. Anticipatory grief is a bugger because it feels so real, the loss in advance...only now I know that the what if or when is absolutely nothing compared to the actuality. My grandma died at the age of 89. My daughter died before she was born. It is out of order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renel, I love you. I love this story about your grandmother. I love that you had her and she had you - and you showed her what she meant to you.

      So beautifully, wow,

      Cathy in Missouri

      Delete
  9. You have such a lyrical way of expressing yourself, and also an astounding ability to get right to the heart of something. Whereas I flounder, enmeshed in confusion and awkwardness, unsure of the right words, yours ring out clear, sonorous, beautiful.

    I want you to know that I cherish every post you write. You matter, your words matter, Georgina MATTERS. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of Georgina's defining characteristics is her dead-ness. Thus, I am interested in death. I don't want to distance myself. I want to sit in graveyards and feel at peace. I want to read books about mourning. I want to know what anticipatory grief is.

    I want to be closer to death. Not necessarily my own death. But I want to be on nodding terms. With my own death, my husband's death, my parent's death. I want death as an acquaintance. He took my daughter don't you know?

    *****

    Lyrical & sonorous, bless you Missing Molly.

    Wordless on my own - but YOU'VE HAD WORDS IN MY HEAD ALL WEEK, CW,

    CiM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, man, I get this too.

    Anticipatory grief. How interesting. I'm so glad you shared your reading material here. I have known this from time to time, without putting a name to it. Glad to have a working definition now.

    We were recently staying at a little cabin on the Coast, which happened to be just in front of this beautiful cemetery. My first urge was to walk through and read every gravestone, or perhaps, take a nap in the tall grass. I feel so in tune with death, so drawn to it, almost in the same way I feel so drawn to life, and the sun, to cabins on the coast.

    Thank-you for this my friend. You're a treasure.

    J

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like Emily, I had a weird sense that something would go wrong... I anticipated something... I just didn't contemplate for a second it was his death.

    And since then, I've read about, talked about and generally been obsessed with death. I don't fear my own death, I don't fear most people's death. I think I could cope with almost anyone's death - but not John's, and not another child.

    My therapist has often said that the death of a child is widely recognised as the worst type of bereavement. My father kept saying after Seamus died, "It goes against the natural order of things" (I think something he'd read in a book). Perhaps it's this lack of anticipation that death could take our children... perhaps that's what makes it so, so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear... here i am, catching up on blogs after coming home from my trip. And you already got me wrapped up with this beautiful blogpost. I can so relate to that. My sister is 8 years younger and as a kid I had nightmares that she would die. Nothing specific and detailed like yours... she was just dead. At the same time I was terrified of my parents dying and always thought I'd rather offer myself to the reaper (given I could). That would mean I didn't have to suffer with the grieve and in exchange my family could live longer and enjoy the wonders of life. *cue cheesy music*

    Ha, it didn't occur to me what the bury-your-kid-thing does to a parent (barely something that'd make you want to explore the wonders of life). Nowadays I feel strangely alienated by that former wish of mine... No more deals with the reaper... I'll probably have to bury my parents and thats how it's supposed to be.

    Sigh. Thank you for your words... they hit home as usual. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. "I want to be closer to death. Not necessarily my own death. But I want to be on nodding terms. With my own death, my husband's death, my parent's death. I want death as an acquaintance. He took my daughter don't you know?"

    Oh, yes. I love this post so much, Catherine.

    Unfortunately, I know a bit about anticipatory grief, because we found out before Nathaniel died that he would. I met my inner elephant during that time. It would rear and rage while I showered, and I would scream and rage then, too. But, in my experience, the anticipation of anything simply does not reflect much of the real thing. Anticipation of giving birth. Anticipation of death. Anticipation of anything only catches moving shadows of one future possibility.

    I love that you are interested in death because your daughter is there. I am more interested in death, too, because Nathaniel is there. And I'm so glad to have friends who get that and don't think it's morbid.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just wanted to send along huge thanks for all of your support over the past few days. I've been a little MIA around these parts these days, but I appreciate your words and thoughts more than you might imagine.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing this--I feel like every relationship I have is swathed in anticipatory grief. I think I was like this before, but I KNOW I am like this now, thinking of how life will be when everyone I know dies before me. It can be a bit crippling at times.

    I love reading everything you write, truly. Love to you.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so profound to me my mouth has gone completely dry:

    "One of Georgina's defining characteristics is her dead-ness...
    I want to be closer to death....I want death as an acquaintance. He took my daughter don't you know?"

    I feel the same sense of responsibility in knowing death, I even feel that I must acquaint my children, prepare them for the things that will die. I tell them it's normal. I try to cut off the anticipatory grief before it begins -- but perhaps I should let them discover this on their own, there is so little time to be innocent.

    ReplyDelete