Thursday 21 March 2013

Abnormality

"You do realise," she says, examining me like a particularly gruesome specimen dredged up from the bottom of the ocean, "that this isn't normal."

I smirk. Normal was lost to me, slipped through my fingers and left the building, nearly five years ago.

I'm not normal.
It's not normal to write a secret diary on the internet for nearly five years about a child that lived for three days. And quite a bit of other stuff that would probably be better off left deep inside my head.

Hell, she doesn't even know about this place.
Imagine how I would suddenly plunge down her normality scale if she did. The floor would swallow me up and there I'd be dangling off the bottom, clawing up by my fingernails, the truly strange and crazy clinging to my ankles.

"No. I suppose it is not, exactly, normal in the grand scheme of things. But it wasn't something I planned."

She doesn't realised that I, kind of, disagreed with her. Sneakily. Smirkily.
Maybe I like it down here.
Off the scale.

Think that my scale is just a whole lot less finely gradated than hers.

***

The way that I am. She thinks, because I cry a lot, that I am sad.

But my incessant crying is just a release. From anxiety, from bewilderment, chaos, feeling overwhelmed.

I slither about. Seeking out broken things or sad songs. Sentimental turns of phrase. Sickly sweet facebook memes that make my teeth curl and my eyes water.

Because crying doesn't really hurt anybody. I'd sometimes rather smash plates or hit walls.
But crying is quieter.
The sweet thick cake of emotional expression as opposed to the thin, quick alcohol of anger.
Subdued. Cautious. Risk averse. Maternal.
Cover me up in a layer of fatty cake and tears.

"I'm worried that you are going to miss their childhoods," she says.
And I want to laugh. Because if there is one thing I'm pretty certain I shall not do, it is that.

No sleepwalking past these.
I am forever shocked to find beating hearts that thump and pump inside chests, I stick my ear flat, flat, flat to hear blood swooshing and valves opening and closing.
I try to listen to their hair growing through those thin, warm scalp that smells so sour.
I am forever invading personal space, checking, checking, checking, re-checking.
Are you still alive? Are you still alive? Just checking. Hopefully not in a sinister way?
I seem to need a little reassurance.

The hands that try and swat you away, the thick skull that batters your nose and makes you howl in indignation and pain, the utter exasperation of your twenty third attempt to get out of the door on time being scuppered by a dirty nappy and a missing flask.

The glory, the revelling in it, of being alive, of glances and punches and sighs aimed at you and your own slow, adult, lumbering stupidity.

Their brilliant dashes, their vividness, those creatures that are, somehow, linked to you but you have entirely forgotten how and why. Or even who you were in the first place. Something put here solely for the purpose of looking at them perhaps?

I don't know quite what it is that I am doing.
Apart from trying.
Trying my best. Cack handedly I'm sure. Imperfectly I'm sure.

But I am not missing anything at all.

Or slightly less than most. I'm aware. I'm aware.
Of all the strange good fortune that is mine. How little I deserve it.
How suddenly it might all be ripped away from me. My little thin blanket of comforts.

And, after that, who wouldn't need a good cry. It's that or explode.
So that's why I cry, after all this time.

Name one thing about us two anyone could love
We roll out the red carpet
When rotten luck comes down the road
Five four three two one
Watch for the flash
Something here will eventually have to explode
Have to explode




17 comments:

  1. No way. Crying is such a great release. Does that sound strange? I've always been a crier, usually in secret, which I had to learn how to do. Now I cry at the weirdest things, usually in a darkened auditorium watching a performance of any sort.

    Cry it out.

    Missing their childhoods? Oh please. Nearly every breath is accounted for, thank you very much.

    You're doing it right. And I think you're a great mother.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to hear your voice, beautiful Catherine. PEOPLE DON'T GET IT! We aren't normal. And you know what? Normal is boring. I would do anything for a perfect world where we don't know each other, and Georgina and Anna were "normal" LIVING girls. But normal? Meh? You have a story. And it's rich, and heartbreaking, and beautiful, and thrilling and bewildering. And it continues, as does mine. Sending love to you, always.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I don't know quite what it is that I am doing.
    Apart from trying."

    Me too. That is all I know for sure these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. Beautiful, vibrant and full of real life.
    Normal-schmormal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, dearest Catherine--sorry I've been so absent from this space lately.

    It's so, so hard being hyper-aware of the fragility of life, isn't it? It's enough to drive one insane. And that we manage to continue functioning somewhat normally is amazing....isn't it?

    Your "abnormal" seems normal to me. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, none of this is normal. But normal people are not really *awake*, or aware of fragility between life and lost. Drink them in. Drink them in as much as you can. I've been lucky to raise a boy who is graduating from high school in a few short months. And I drank him in and drank him in while he was growing, and if I could go back and whisper in my own ear, I would have told myself to drink deeper. Littles are so fleeting and sweet and stinky. And then they're nearly adults with nearly adult sweetness and stink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh lord the checking - my hand feeling for the rise and fall while he sleeps - thank you for confirming that I AM normal!

    And I cry too.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello my friend- so nice to 'hear' your voice. This really is our normal isn't it?
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here comes a long comment...because I'm struck by the injustice of this assessment of your "abnormal" reaction.

    What exactly is the sample size that she's using to make this assessment? I mean, among the large population of people who have experienced the exact trauma of extreme prematurity (and the associated short and long-term medical issues), loss of a twin, and then subsequent pregnancy, how many are dealing with it just-fine-thank-you-very-much?

    I'll be angry for you, Catherine. I think her statement is abnormal and ridiculous.

    I mean, isn't that the whole reason that you are talking to her to begin with...that you need a place to vent all of this so that you can be present for your family? and at work? and in all of the other myriad chores of everyday living? Is it really her job to sit in judgement of a situation that she doesn't understand? Is there no place for sympathy?

    Clearly I'm not a professional or anything and I'm really just reacting as a friend who doesn't know all of the details (which may or may not be helpful) but I think that she's probably just piling on.

    I don't really believe in the word 'normal' anymore but I think it's abnormal to draw a circle around a group of people and define their behavior as the gold standard that we're all striving for.

    End rant.

    Best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hear, hear, TracyOC!

    I was going to say exactly the same, only not as well.

    Gold standards lie.

    Normal is just another chisel in the Minimizer's Toolbox.

    Don't you believe it, CW ~

    xo CiM

    ReplyDelete
  11. And here I was just writing about how reassuring it was to be told I'm having normal reactions to abnormal events. I think that, if this makes sense, it's entirely normal for you not to be normal. I don't see how anyone could watch their baby die and be "normal." Ever. I think trying in the face of knowledge many people never have to fully carry should count for a lot.

    I remember talking with one of my profs (in another life, it seems) about how it would have been absolutely infuriating to know any of the saints personally. I sometimes worry that I am infuriating, too. That baby-lost parents run the risk of frustrating those around us just because we aren't normal, because our nerve endings are open, because when we say, "at least no one is dead," we mean it.

    And I love the way you are aware. I love the way you write it out and give voice to all of these slithery, elusive, beautiful and heart-breaking things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I am forever shocked to find beating hearts that thump and pump inside chests."

    Every single morning of my life.

    I wonder what she would think if she met me, and I told her how I don't go into my children's bedrooms before they wake up in the morning, because I am afraid that they are dead- and I would rather put off finding out about it for as long as possible.

    I don't think any of us are normal any more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know crying is good. As are internet hugs (even if I don't know the text shorthand for them!) I have started to worry that I am allowing my children's childhoods to pass me by. I am doing as much as I can to slow time down but it's tricky.

    I went to the doctors the other day (because I had self diagnosed myself with stress) and mentioned Emma because I wondered what could be traced back to her. Surely nothing after 4 years? I found myself saying, "We had counselling and now it's all good" awkward pause, "well as good as it can be." Clumsy. Still haven't got that one down.

    Anyway, enough of this incomprehensible nonsense. Just wanted to write and let you know I'm still reading your wonderful words.

    Love,

    Emma's Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, my mother in law at one point told me to not get so wrapped up in my grief, lest I forget about my daughter, you know, as if she would just completely slip my mind! HA HA HA.

    Yes, I check for breathing, too. Still do it on a very regular basis. In fact, I use a baby monitor that is turned up so loud you could hear the neighbors folding their laundry. And although I am interested in making sure the neighbors are wearing clean clothes, I keep it up that loud so I can hear the little ones breathing.

    I'm sorry you were diagnosed as abnormal. Seems to me that maybe it's difficult to make that assumption unless you've been in your shoes...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Catherine, this is so beautifully written and resonates so strongly right now. My mother recently told me that I 'don't live in reality', and after the flash of anger abated, I just thought to myself: if all of you, who just want to forget and ignore and brush under the rug, and never really connect, where my son doesn't have a place that brings some small happiness, some pride to his parents - if that is 'reality', then I'll take my fantasy any day.

    I'm sorry you've had to deal with such attitudes too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, I tried to comment, but it disappeared!

    Normal... Who is she to judge what's normal? As if it's normal to have your child die. As if we all haven't left normal way, way, way behind us.

    Other people, they can be the worst. Sometimes I hate them, and other times I'm just so jealous of them, that they have no idea.

    ReplyDelete