Monday 15 April 2013

Scrapings

'I know it is coming, and I do not fear it, because I believe that there is nothing on the other side of death to fear. I hope to be spared as much pain as possible on the approach path. I was perfectly content before I was born, and I think of death as the same state. I am grateful for the gifts of intelligence, love, wonder and laughter. You can't say it wasn't interesting. My lifetime's memories are what I have brought home from the trip. I will require them for eternity no more than that little souvenir of the Eiffel Tower I brought home from Paris.'

Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death

I lunge for the radio, like something about to drown. It is, frequently, the only source from which anything even vaguely resembling sense emerges.

I hope it may be like that. That Georgina's life was just a brief slip from one contentment to another.
An ignorance to a release.
I'm sorry that she didn't have any gifts or memories.
Very sorry indeed.
But who needs a little souvenir of the Eiffel Tower?
Maternal love, a sister, pain, years, days.
Everything, in the end, is surplus to requirements.

In the kitchen I try and relate this minor revelation, the slipping, the comfort, a brief display of my own little souvenirs.

"Oh God, do you ever talk about anything that isn't SO heavy."

The pot is slammed down. I retreat.

****

I do talk about things that aren't heavy. I play a lot of Candy Crush, squishing boiled sweets into the hereafter with the help of my trusty companions, striped, wrapper and bobbly (as I call them). Crunch, crunch, squash. It's a cheery world where lives are reallocated after a certain period of time and, no matter how badly you tie up, you can always start again. I'm sure that is part of its appeal.

****

'Now the news has arrived 
From the Valley of Vail
That a Chippendale Mupp has just bitten his tail,
Which he does every night before shutting his eyes.
Such nipping sounds silly. But, really, it's wise.
He has no alarm clock. So this is the way
He makes sure that he'll wake at the right time of day.
His tail is so long, he won't feel any pain
'Til the nip makes the trip and gets up to his brain.
In exactly eight hours, the Chippendale Mupp
Will, at last, feel the bite and yell "Ouch!" and wake up.'

Dr. Seuss, The Sleep Book

Things seem to take a long time to reach my brain these days. Participating in the research group is a little like picking a scab or poking about with your tongue in a rotten tooth.

I had a discussion about medical professionals who are involved in the handling of withdrawal or withholding of life support from very young infants. They don't really receive much training in what to do or what to say.

I remember one of the nurses with us when Georgina was dying, it was her first death. She tried so hard, to be professional and to keep asking how I was during the rest of the time that Jessica was on the neonatal ward. I never really thought that it must have been hard for her too, that she was just a young girl. When you land up in a world where you have to hand over the person you love most entirely to the knowledge and competence of another human being, you want to forget about their frailty. Angels or demons or wizards. Anything but human, prone to fail, prone to mistakes.

I have this discussion about how the conversations and action immediately surrounding the death of your child can have long reaching ramifications into how you feel about that decision and that experience many years down the line. I feel calm, I don't cry, perhaps it's easier here where nobody is flinching as they've all sat waiting for babies to die. Checking breathing and listening for heart beats.

Then, a couple of days later, the pain obviously finally reaches my brain. Through all the numbness and   'I don't think about that's and 'la la la la la, I can't hear you's and 'level 65 of Candy Crush MUST be defeated' and 'MUST just carry on going' and all the other crap that accompanies the process of living, living, living, on and on and on.

It still hurts. Somewhere underneath all of that.

Once more I'm crying in a supermarket aisle. I hide amongst the reduced items. It will pass. It always does.

*****

This is a song that has haunted my life a little.
It is a much loved song from my youth and reminds me of both church as a little girl and of the smell of artificial smoke machines and stale alcohol.
It was a song sung by my little sister's best friend at her wedding.
It was the song that I played on the way to Georgina's funeral.

Turns out that the original track, prior to all the re-mixing and jiggling that made up the version that I know best, was recorded for a video only documentary about an obese man who was trying to lose weight.

Somehow that seems right.

This song about an obsese man and the Chippendale Mupp and technicolour facebook games and small souvenirs of the Eiffel Tower all jumble together and form a strange, beautiful, horrible trap. Where the more I try to extract any meaning whatsoever from the mixture of objects, no matter how close it seems to lurk beneath the surface veneer, the more entangled I become.

I wonder what it is like to be where she is, where nothing is required.

Perhaps it is best simply to wait. For contentment.

And, in the meantime, hit me with it.
Song recorded for obese guy. Prop me up a little will you?

15 comments:

  1. I think it always hurt... At least, the pain hasnt left me yet and I cant imagine it will. Just the other night, I had an all out breakdown and cried for a good half hour before bed, just all out sobbing.

    Hugs, dear one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Michele, thinking of you and especially of your little M these days. Hope that all is well and I'm sorry for the pain, it still hurts doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. I wonder about that sometimes, too, how it felt, wishing and hoping he didn't feel any pain as he died. My OB assures me he probably didn't, but I'm not quite sure she really has anyway of knowing that and is probably just trying to comfort me. I really like that description, slipping from one contentment to another. I hope that's what it was for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also asked if it hurt and they told me that it didn't but, like you, I second guess. Some of it looked painful from where I was sitting. But I hope that they just slipped from one contentment to another, that life was just a strange, brief dream of water and voices, nothing painful, nothing to be regretted or missed. Just contentment.

      Delete
  3. As a nurse, I know that often times the only way we can get through our day, our proximity to death, is to take on the role of wizard, hero, and angel, until our shift is over. For 8 or 12 hours, we are not allowed to break. If we need to break, just a little, we do it in a back room, silent tears, wipe them away, go out and take on the role again.

    For those 12 hours I am something else entirely, a being not quite as susceptible to grief and fear and pain as my patient and their family members. Then I leave, and I cry. I am again just a young girl, a human, without superpowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. allmypretty, you have my fullest admiration. I really admire those who are doing a difficult job and also have all these emotions and expectations placed upon them. You are so appreciated x

      Delete
  4. Oh God, do you ever talk about anything that isn't SO heavy.

    *****

    Hardly, no.

    Not now - but there will come
    that Day
    of no more tears
    and light
    only Light where
    my heavy will shed like a coat
    tossed
    aside.

    *****

    Having no wizards, I search for kind, marginally gentle, willing to admit the truth even when bleak.

    But that;
    rare, all too rare.

    I'll come here, though, and you (kind & gentle, both) will tell me the truth.

    You, CW, always do.

    I like your song,

    xo CiM




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, I hope that Day does come. Sometimes the Heavy does feel . . cumbersome and unfamiliar, something that is just sitting on me temporarily? Love to you xo

      Delete
  5. I hate those kitchen conversations - the ones where there just doesn't seem to be any common ground - or maybe there is common ground but it's underwater somewhere.

    I know I wish our medical professionals had had a bit more training in talking with families about withdrawing life support. Our nurses were uniformly good, and I wonder if they were better trained or if they just spent more time with us and saw us as people (and as people they'd see again, after the decisions were made).

    Thinking about you in the reduced aisle (I tend to hide near the feminine products where no one goes unless they really have to and where they don't pause long, either) and sending love. It's never over. I'm not sure I want it to be, and I shouldn't be surprised, but sometimes I am, in spite of myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for the tip Erica. I should think feminine products is a pretty safe bet - not so crowded with bargain hunters.

      Delete
  6. Erica! Great!

    I had not thought of feminine products, but you put it all so well: "no one goes unless they really have to and where they don't pause long, either."

    Perfect. I will remember this...

    xo CiM

    And, if may be the case, you are the Erica who wrote recently for GLOW - thank you for the truly inspired post. I thought it was so good (and unearthed such excellent comments) that I sent it to CW, even though I knew she'd already been there and read it. The underscore was merited. Thank you, again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've missed you. I've been living in lala land for awhile now, I've been letting myself rest, taking a vacation from my mind, willfully -- not to say it hasn't been difficult, perhaps the most difficult in fact. You always know just what to say, you nudge places in my brain, some I'd rather forget, others I must remember. Love to you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't read babyloss blogs much these days, and rarely visit even glow, I feel out of touch with myself, in a space somewhere I can't quite figure out. I get on, we have to don't we? You though, you help me see that I'm not alone, you write so much that I understand, that seems familiar. I'm rambling, I'm sorry.x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto Jeanette. I have so little time these days to visit but I feel the same as I always did. What you say always makes sense and speaks to me. I just don't have the words any more, the feelings and grief are just as raw. I think they will always be that way. It does help to know that you are not alone in what can seem like such an isolating and scary place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. There are sparks of my own truth that I need to hear right now, all wrapped together in this post.

    ReplyDelete