Thursday 10 September 2009

Loneliness

I don't think that I ever anticipated how isolating the experience of having my children would be.

Before the girls were born, I was concerned that I would lose touch with friends who do not yet have, or don't want, children. That I would miss my work colleagues during my maternity leave. That I would not be organised enough to load both my babies into the car, with all their accompanying accessories and drive to visit friends who live a little further afield. That I would end up trapped in the house with two babies.

But I believed that those bonds would be replaced by stronger relationships with my family and with my friends who already have children. Even during my pregnancy, a few friendships which had cooled over recent years, rekindled and came back to life. I hoped to meet new acquaintances at antenatal classes, mother and baby groups, the local twin club. Friendships fuelled by the giving of advice, discussion over which pram, crib, highchair, carseat to buy, initiation into the mysterious secrets of labour and childbirth. That chuckle that those with children make when the childless fall pregnant and are so shyly proud. Oooohh just you wait, you won't know what's hit you.

Well I couldn't wait. They couldn't wait. And I still don't know what hit me. It's been over a year now and I still can't put a name to it. This turn of events.

And you know what? I never made those new friends. Not a single one.

Obviously I've never set foot in the local twin club.

I never made it to antenatal classes, I was due to start them three weeks after the girls were born. Bit late by then.

I didn't go to mother and baby groups over the winter for fear of germs, RSV, complications, setbacks that could land Jessica back in the NICU. The oxygen being a hassle to move around and to explain. Other little ones were fascinated by it but that meant they pulled at the tubing and wanted to fiddle with tank dials. Not good. Well, maybe Jess would have appreciated a blast of pure oxygen. Probably would have made mother and baby group a little more fun. Heck, I would have gone for a pure oxygen hit myself.

Jessica came home at 5lb 4oz, which to me with my distorted NICU eyes, looked absolutely enormous but was still small enough to attract attention. And I couldn't cope with attention or questions, I just wanted to be normal.

But my longing to be normal existed in constant, weird tension with this feeling that I wanted to tell EVERYONE what had actually happened, that this baby they were looking at used to be 1lb 7oz, that she has spent four months in hospital, that she nearly died, that she was a twin, that her sister died, that I watched her sister die, that she died slowly in front of me. I wanted to spew the whole lot up. At random strangers, shop assistants, everyone. I didn't though. I don't.

I go to the mother and baby groups now. I want Jessica to meet the other children, to see other children. I don't go for myself. I don't go to meet people, to make friends as I thought I would. I think the other parents probably find me standoffish or cold. But I feel a million miles away from them sometimes. My only experience of pregnancy and childbirth is so different from the one that they all discuss so eagerly.

Chances are that there is at least one parent in that room who has lost a child or had a birth that didn't go well. I think that there must be statistically. But I don't know which parent(s) exactly and I don't know if they would want to talk about it.

I will talk about Jessica's birth if I can't avoid it. I usually just say that she was born prematurely and had to stay in hospital for a bit. Most people, fortunately, don't really understand extreme prematurity. One of my husband's friends expressed some bewilderment when, about four weeks after the girls were born, he had not been invited over to our house to view Jessica. I gently broke the news to him that she wasn't at our house, that she needed 24 hour medical attention, that we didn't have an incubator, a ventilator or all the other gizmos that kept our daughter alive, that we couldn't care for her at home.

I generally try not to mention Georgina at all unless we get into a discussion of precisely why Jessica was born so early.

I just don't know how to handle it. I desperately want to re assimilate myself into polite society but I can't seem to manage it.

I want to be honest because
(a) I am an absolutely appalling liar and I blush and get all flustered when I try to lie
(b) I feel as though I am becoming part of the 'babies don't die' conspiracy and
(c) Georgina and Jessica are my children and I want to talk about them. It doesn't make any difference to me that Georgina is dead. I still love her. She is always in my thoughts. She is still Jessica's sister. She is still Jessica's twin. She is still part of our lives, part of our family. A much loved part.

But I don't want some unsuspecting person to ask an innocent question and have all this suddenly land in their lap. It isn't fair to them. I almost feel like I am asking for the responses that nobody in our position appreciates, well at least you have Jessica, well at least you know you can fall pregnant etc. People only say those things because they want to offer comfort, they say them out of kindness and because I've put them on the spot. But they still sting a little.

All those fondly imagined friendships I thought I would form, that little circle of mothers, all with children the same age as my girls. Sadly, I don't see it happening. I think they will remain imaginary. Like so much of what I thought would happen will. It makes me so sad.

I almost feel like I could peer over some strange space-time fence and see myself, talking with another mother with a baby. We are laughing and swapping tales of sleep deprivation and nappy contents. Sadly, in this other world, I no longer see myself with twins. Almost as though I have now accepted that I was never intended to be the mother of twins, not in real life. I see a world where Georgina never existed and Jessica was born 'normally'. That makes me sad, it makes me feel like I am wishing that Georgina had never been. But in this world I don't have to hedge and lie and pretend that everything is fine.

Yes, everything is fine. I enjoyed those months when Jessica was in ICU, I always knew she would make it, I always knew then and still know now that she will have no lasting health consequences, that she won't be developmentally delayed, I always knew she wouldn't develop cerebral palsy or blindness. I enjoyed my unbroken nights (people have never heard of the joys of expressing milk) and a few more months of blessed child free existence. I didn't mind Georgina's death. I've accepted it completely. I'm at peace with it. It was understandable that she died. It wasn't so bad watching the life support being turned off, watching my first born child take her last breaths. It was absolutely fine, I'm fine. I'm back to normal. Look I'm smiling and talking and breathing and walking around and purchasing goods and services and driving my car. Just look at me go. Functioning away like nobody's business.

I know that most people must be hedging and lying about something. I'm sure that most people have a terrible, sad secret in their lives. Something that preoccupies them. Something that they usually don't mention but which is actually at their very centre. I know that, at my centre, is a NICU and Georgina and tiny, red, shiny babies. That will always be at my core. This isn't to say that there isn't anything else there, that it won't be joined by other, happier things or that I won't add some pretty bits to my edges. But if I am ever to make another friend, a real friend, who I can speak my mind to I think I am going to have to let them in on this. Or they won't really understand me and I won't really understand them. I don't have to worry about that here, here I know you all understand. It comes with the territory, you wouldn't be reading if you didn't already know about that place, that place in me and that place in yourselves. But how do I handle this sort of introduction in the real world? Perhaps we should all write introductory blogs prior to meeting any potential new friend?

I just need to figure out how everyone else does it, how they keep it all in or shrug it all off as no big deal. Then maybe I could do it. I need to learn how to pull this one off or I suspect that I am not going to be a good mother. More a damaged one. One that doesn't like being around other people.

23 comments:

  1. You are the most amazing writer. Amazing. I wrote a very long response to you and just deleted it because it's crap. What happened to you is devastating and I can't even begin to imagine the chasm you are climbing out of.
    But I will say the whole bonding, friendship thing? You aren't alone in having your dreams unfulfilled. But it gets better. Slowly, but surely. It gets better. And easier too.
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Catherine, I just wanted to say, I have never thought of you as anything BUT the mother of twins. When I think of you, I think just that - you have twin baby girls. I'll always see you like that, even if the rest of the world doesn't.
    And I like to think of my babyloss friends as the mothers group I never got. I might not have got that aspect of the new life I anticipated, but I got you lovely people and to me, that is just as good, but probably better. Just wish we didn't have to meet like this......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to second what Hope said - to me you are always the mother of twins. You are Georgina and Jessica's mom.

    It is a hard, hard thing to express to other people who have not been through this how much we LOOVVE our babies who are gone, how much they are still really with us and define our parenthood. How we love to speak about them. And it is hard to stand there and say, yeah, well pregnancy isn't always perfect, birth doesn't always go so well. Hard to be that dark angel in the room.

    I'm sorry you feel so lonely. I hope that one day soon you meet just one, two, three people who understand a little, who are able to listen, who have been through something similar, and that you can build connection. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine I completely understand what you are saying. I too want people to know what happened to me, that I am the mommy to twins, and why I am this way, but I don't want to scare the hell out of them when I mention it. It is such a hard position to be in.

    How about this...All us babylost mamas (and families) move away to some common place. We won't be afraid of each other's stories, because we have all been there. We can form our own playgroups where everyone understands, and we can support one another through all the crap we have to live thorugh. What do you think??? Should I start lookin for a uninhabited island somewhere? :)

    Thinking of you and your lovely girls. You are a wonderful mommy to both of them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I struggle with this too, the lying, the pretending everything is ok when it's not, placating people when they know the truth, it's all so complicated. sigh.

    Thinking of you, Georgina and Jessica with love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think figuring out how to talk about your experience is terribly hard. There definitely are people who don't do well when this "lands in their lap." Some offer platitudes, some just disappear, some seem to need to be comforted themselves. But sometimes people will do better with it than you think. Sometimes you just need to get over the telling to open a space to talk. (And when I say, you, I mean me. I have been struggling with this for almost two years now.) I hope you will find a way to talk about your girls and your experience that feels right. There will always be people who can't deal or mean well but hurt you, but hopefully, you will find some too who may or may not be part of this babyloss world but who recognize you as the mother of twins, who understand that oxygen and ventilators and hospitals are part of your mothering experience as much as diapers and colic and middle of the night feedings are part of most parents. You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok lady, that's it. We're meeting up. I am going to email you with suggested dates!

    Also, I think even in 'normal' circumstances people find this stuff hard. Remember, you are a wonderful, amazing person. Those mums would be lucky to have you as a friend. If they're the sort of person who would resent hearing your story then they aren't good enough for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spend more friend time in the blogging world than I do in the real world because I have so much grief and I feel at this point I am totally unable to find pleasure in the things people around me enjoy. Yes this is an isolating world and one which also bonds us - baby lost moms- very strongly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I third what Sally said?

    I still can't talk about George without crying.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nodding in agreement to what everyone has said above - more emphatically to what a glorious writer you are.

    But to the point - its a awkward road we are walking...I wish I had a card to pass along to people that explains why I am the way I am.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm there with you Catherine. The other day I ran into an old coworker at the hospital where I was having some bloodwork done. She asked me how many kids I had now and I automatically said two. And then I was ashamed. I didn't mention Calvin or that Georgia was a twin or that I held my son as he died in my arms. I couldn't. I'm so tired of telling, of the reactions which usually always piss me off to some degree. It's an injustice to Calvin but something I need to do for self preservation some days. I can't keep telling, crying, getting angry, feeling isolated, feeling regret everytime I end up in a big discussion as to the whys and hows. It makes me feel like a bad mother to Calvin though so I'm damned either way. I second Tina's suggestion that we start our own colony, my life might actually feel somewhat normal if I was surrounded by people who didn't cringe when they saw me coming, or had friends that I felt really understood me. This sucks. Hugging you....all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a very good liar either, so I tend to give people both barrels of the truth. More often than not I get a good response; ie they are sympathetic and curious and I get a chance to share my little girl with them. I like knowing that others are thinking about her. It has also gotten easier for me too. I only cry now if I touch a particular nerve...and that I usually reserve for friends. I don't think that I "shrug it all off", just that I become matter of fact about it all, and I think that makes it easier for others to ask me questions.

    Great post Catherine, I identify with so much of what you say so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad that we have this community, and I'm glad that you add your voice to it Catherine. I'm wishing you (and all of us) wisdom to know how to answer the questions when the answer is just plain sad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry you are feeling so isolated. There are many days I feel the same way. I really dont want to be around anyone. No-one understands me now, not really. The people who know, pretend not to know. The people who don't know, I dont trust enough to be close to. I don't let just anyone into my "inner circle" to begin with. After this life-changing, self-changing experience, the circle has gotten smaller, tighter, less penetrable. When I do head out to social things, it's mostly for my son, or husband. So we can appear everything is fine. We can have strength in numbers. Even though our number should be 5, not 3... And I can use chasing after my little guy as the excuse to get away from baby talk, complaints of new moms, or anything I just don't want to be around, including babies. I can relate to so much of your post. What is it that makes us want people to know? And why do people act like it's some sort of disease they might catch if we do tell them? Sorry, I'm going on and on and on. Thinking of you, and sending you strength. Be strong, get out when you can, for Jessica, for yourself. I think the less you go, the harder it gets. Who knows, maybe a friend will come along when you least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I relate to so much of this post, even though we have different experiences. Just so beautifully written, and honest. Thank you.

    I am terrible liar, and apparently, terrible at making mama friends too. I just don't have any besides women that I knew before Beatrice was born who happened to have babies. Before Lucy, I didn't mind saying hi and chitchatting, even though it really isn't my style, but after Lucy died, it all felt so...wrong. What am I going to say? Anything, not talking about her, talking about her...it all felt so hollow, alienating and sad. So, I don't. I don't even smile. I just talk to Bea. Sometimes I feel like a pariah. Lonely is so small of a word for what this feels like, but the only one that gets close.xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am working my way through you story on this blog. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi Catherine....your post is amazing and has made me think about some stuff i had buried too. I'm sorry you are feeling so lonely,i know its not the same but please take some solace in the people here that care. When we lost Charlie's twin during the pregnancy i struggled so much with whether or not to talk about our lost angel....it was such a double edged sword - here was me with my expanding belly and an ongoing pregnancy that i was still thrilled about but at the same time grieving the loss of a child we would never come to know. And every time someone asked me about whether the pregnancy was going well...there it was....do i tell or don't i - sometimes i did and sometimes i didn't. Sometimes people handled it well and sometimes i got the "Well at least you still have one" kind of comments. And i think in lots of ways i did isolate myself too....i needed to protect myself to emotionally survive the pregnancy.

    Thinking of you. You are a wonderful mummy, even if you feel damaged.....there is so much love in your post it breaks my heart and makes it sing at the same time. Give yourself time and go gently ever so gently with yourself.

    big hugs, suz xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Catherine-
    This is an amazing post and I just hate how true it is. I eat lunch alone in my classroom because I don't have stories to share with the other moms about the soccer game, teething, whatever is going on with their kids. Colleagues w/out kids are talking about going to the bars and their boyfriends and whatever. I am somewhere in this horrible middle where I took the responsiblity and was ready but...well, but.
    I am so sorry for your loneliness. I am so sorry that you have to do this and think of this and I can relate but not at the same time.
    Just to let you know that I'm thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I so relate to this. Painfully so. I remember shortly after Genevive's death visiting the moms of multiples forum I frequented. And they told me I still belonged there. I was still a mom of twins. That meant so much to me, Deep down to my heart, I needed to hear that. But as time went on it has become painfully obvious I do not belong there. I can't relate to their posts, I can answer the ones about pregnancy a bit maybe, but that is it. I stop in check on the babies and leave, I don't even post anymore.

    In real life I was lucky enough to have two NICU families I kept in contact with, they both know about Genevive, and they both are not shy about talking about it. And other people, I mention it if I want to, but I always follow it with a quick "its ok, I like to talk about her" or something like that to at least soften the awkwardness. Next week I am actually going to be on the news to tell our story. I am so thrilled someone took interest. What an opportunity, no one can pretend she didn't exist now. I guess that is how I handle it, I find ways to remember genevive. I have decided that if someone can't handle it, then they don't need to be around me, because frankly I would rather forget them than forget her. I guess I have turned defiant in my grief....

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish I could give you a hug. I'm not sure if thats to make you feel better, or me, or both. I just one of those people that wishes I could make everything better.

    I know thos feelings. Isolation, loss, grief and love for a living child. Its easier to hide than face the world...

    There are many ways of remembering Genevive (a beautiful name). And it is important to acknowledge these feelings, this loss. And you are right, if it makes people uncomfortable, SCREW THEM!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your post brings about so many thoughts of my own. But one rolls around in my head more. When my daughter died, those parents who were also bereaved parents made themselves know to me. And I could see relief in their eyes that they knew they could share their child with me. I would not look away. I could also see gentle knowing, and I think that if you said something and there is another bereaved parent there, they would feel relief and likely share their story with you. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  22. To me, you have 2 beautiful twin girls. It breaks me to know that one of them isnt with you on this earth, but Georgina is always a part of the equation. I wish that it were easier for those in the world around us to understand and to comfort those of us who have lost babies. I, too, thought I'd find new friendships when I was pregnant but I was sorely mistaken... Everyone was happy to chat about pregnancy things but after the twins were born and passed away, and then after Alex was born as passed away, it was like I had the plague. No one from the storytimes or the mom's group would look at me, let alone talk to me. Some would have a look of horror on their face when they saw me or wouldnt let me answer their questions or check out their books. It made me realize just how different I was.

    I think of you and your girls all the time. I hope that one day you find a deep peace that allows you to fully experience both your girls and share them with the world... I hope we one day have a world that is ready.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I feel the same way about going to the play groups with my daughters- I am only going for their sake, not to make friends for myself. I don't like to have to answer questions about my children cause I don't really figure they want to know the whole story of how I have had 5 pregnancies but only have two living children. I like the idea of a different world for all us baby loss mamas to live in together cause we already live in a different world, others just don't see it.

    ReplyDelete