Monday 21 September 2009

Oscillate wildly

Recently, this describes what I seem to be doing, oscillating wildly.

From sad
to mad
(occasionally even bad once in a while)
to numb
to ambivalence
to acceptance (or acceptance of the fact that I can't truly seem to accept any of this)
to almost, nearly peacefulness
to strange, irrepresible, unsquashable hope, one with a different texture to the hope I had before
to happiness

Return to start. Repeat. Faster and faster.

I still have trouble sleeping in the early morning.
I used to think that 'tossing and turning' in your bed at night was just a handy phrase to describe the difficulty of finding rest some nights. But now I find that I do literally toss and turn. I find it all so very unbearable, what happened to my daughters, that it feels like I need to physically shake it away or as if I am writhing with the desperation of it all. This situation that I cannot begin to remedy, I cannot bring her back, I have to let her go. It feels like a snare, the terrible inevitability of the facts as they close in on me.

Sometimes the bare, stark facts of Georgina's death hit me. Without the little accompanying web of thoughts I spin to try and make it more palatable. They can smash that little fragile structure up with a flick of their fingers, these crushing facts.

That she will never live, never breathe, never again.
That her existence outside of me was one that was so brief, full of so much pain and distress.
That the only tangible evidence I have left of my eldest daughter's existence is crammed into a box in my wardrobe, ashes, stained hats, an incubator label, some badly printed photographs.
That I will never hold her again.
That she never had a chance to feel the sun on her skin, or the breeze, or to hug her sister. She never even ate or drank anything. I find the latter particularly painful because I take so much pleasure in food.
None of the many, many things that I hoped that she would do. That I complacently assumed that she would have the chance to experience.
Of all the pleasures that this life has to offer us, she will experience a very few. I can only hope she knew what it felt like to be loved.

But I don't stay this way for long.

Yesterday, I was shopping in town. Looking for yet more clothes for Jess who already has an outfit for every single day of the next three months but still . . you can never have too many choices. Especially in the unpredictable weather of England.

I was walking out of the shop and a little girl of maybe two or three came running past, giggling. Her daddy was chasing her. I thought it was a game and smiled to myself. One of those wry smiles that resolves itself into a sigh, imagining Jessica doing the same in a year or so, knowing that Georgina will never be the running, giggling girl.

But I had misinterpreted the situation. The daddy stormed up behind her, swept her up and yelled in her face 'why are you such a little shit?' Ach, it made me feel so sad.

I don't have a problem with swearing. I don't swear much myself but my father has always turned the air blue. Seriously, my mother was summoned into playgroup because I dropped my cup of milk and said fuck. She must have been mortified. But he never, ever swore AT us. Those words were never directed at his own children, particularly not as a descriptor.

This world is very strange. A world where we have invented such viciousness to throw at one another, words specifically designed to wound one another. A world where a father would shout at his own child or at any little girl with words that I would not consider acceptable to use to ANYONE. Why do people not accord their own children the respect that they would give to a stranger? Is it because there is no chance that she will hit him? Why couldn't he just say pickle instead of shit? Why did he have to shout with the full force of an adult male voice into the face of such a small child?

This isn't really a judgement of him, of how much or how little he deserves to have a living, breathing daughter. It might sound like one but it is more just an observation. I don't know this man. I don't know what circumstances brought him to shouting in a small child's face in the doorway of a shop yesterday morning. Who knows, perhaps in a year or so I might be swearing at Jessica? I hope not but you never know.

What I had read to be a touching little scene of father-daughter bonding had actually gone kind of sour. As I turned away, I smiled again. But this time, I was thinking of that other girl. My tiny sweet girl. I thought to myself, nobody is ever, ever going to call you a shit. Nobody is ever going to shout in your face like that. It's not much consolation but at least death has some protective side effects. I felt as though I had tucked her back into my heart and smoothed the coverlet over her. She might never get to experience the beauty of life but she will never experience its ugliness either.

It has taken me an awfully long time to accept the fact that life is not always pleasant, people aren't kind to one another, feelings get hurt, hearts get smashed, people trample on other people heedlessly (myself included no doubt). I'm still struggling with this after over thirty years of having evidence shoved in my face everyday. Some would call this stupidity, I prefer to think of it as a peculiar brand of naive, wide-eyed optimism.

The first dance at my wedding was a song called Rose Garden sung by Lynne Anderson. I guess it summed up my feelings about marriage, 'I never promised you a rose garden . . '

There it is, in a country song. Perhaps that is the truth that I am too dense to recognise or too pig-headed to accept.
Life isn't a rose garden. It could actually be that simple.
I can't make it a rose garden for Jessica. I can try my best to smooth it for her but I can't make any promises.
I can't make it a rose garden for Georgina. I can try my best to remember her and to love her but I can't make any promises.
I can't make it a rose garden for anyone, not for anyone here, not even for myself. As much as I would love to. As much as I wish I could fix everything and everyone. But that is not the nature of life. It's amazing and it sucks and it's painful and it's generous and it does all these things, to everyone, all at once, all the time. Life just merrily goes around handing out the good stuff and the shitty stuff entirely randomly. Here have a candy, here have a dead child, here have a sunny day, here have a miraculous recovery, here have a car accident, here have a messy divorce, here have your first love's kiss, here's a pile of dog poo, here's the tenner that you had forgotten about in your back pocket. More and more of it, faster and faster, relentlessly on and on until we bow out of this maelstrom. Whether we are better off in here or out of here I honestly couldn't say.

A little later in the day, I was still walking around and I saw a single sunflower leaning over a wall. It looked like it had just that moment popped its head over the wall to see who was walking by, to look at me and Jessica.
And I thought of this.
And by extension I thought of sweetsalty Kate's post that it refers back to.

Somehow, in this strange jumble of thoughts and references, I felt just fine. At that particular moment. With the sunflower looking at us. Just fine.

I haven't felt 'just fine' for over a year. It is nice to remember how it feels, it's good to know that I can still feel that way. Just fine.

What a mess of a post. But that just reflects how I feel at the moment I suppose.

17 comments:

  1. I'm here with you through the jumbled mess of your thoughts. Not that I thought this post was a mess though. It was insightful, as always.
    I too think about the small things like food. I'm food obsessed and am sad Hope doesn't get to taste all the good things in life.
    And I'm with you on reaching a point of acceptance in terms of not be able to accept what happened. How will we ever accept they're gone?
    Love to you, my friend.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't a mess...somehow we can go to and from all these places in a matter of seconds. Just fine. Sometimes that is what I crave. With love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post, I feel a real affinity with your messiness. And I love that you felt 'just fine'.

    It's horrifying to overhear that kind of parent/child interaction.

    On the bus the other day I overheard a man telling his young daughter (I'm guessing she was 6 or 7). That if she went up on the top deck she might get stabbed and 'it'd be your fault because you're so fucking stupid'. I almost lept out of my seat I was so angry. Then this little girl piped up: 'yeah, whatever dad, I'll get stabbed, whatever. Thanks for smacking me earlier, by the way.' He went really red and said 'you shouldn't be so naughty, then I wouldn't have to smack you' and she said 'yeah, yeah, whatever. Thanks for everything, Dad, thanks SO much.' It was actually quite funny. She was obviously not distressed by his shouting/ smacking one bit. And yet, what must life be like for her if that doesn't phase her at all?

    Anyway, that was a ramble, sorry!

    Thanks for writing this. It made me feel good to read it - I love a good jumble. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go through all those emotions myself. No one knows what life after death is, but I convince myself it must be better than life on earth. As we grow older, it becomes clearer that life is not a bed of roses. Life is very tough and we have to fight our way to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great and real post Catherine. You nail it so well - the enormity of it. I've often felt that it's like suddenly I see the world in a whole different way - like I used to look at it through cheesecloth or a veil or something, and now that veil has been lifted and there's this whole mess of "stuff" that can happen that I didn't really understand was a possibility before - and it makes me hyper aware of everything else - the seeming randomness you describe totally puts it into words for me - thank you! Was driving me bonkers trying to articulate it.

    I so understand the emotional flip flopping too...sigh. Lately I've felt more at peace than I have in quite a long time....like I'm okay; like I'm ready to be at peace. But then I feel guilty, like "Dude, it's only been seven months! Could you pine a little? Or SOMETHING?" Sigh. It's so bloody hard.

    I'm really glad you found a moment of okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved to sign that song as a child; it was a favorite of my grandpa's, and we'd hear it at his house. I hadn't stepped back to appreciate the words, though. So different, and powerful, when viewed through these new eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too, me too. I am in the middle somewhere, never quite getting to the 'just fine' moments unless it's very early or very late..
    I am a mess these days as well.
    XO
    much love,
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Catherine, this post is hardly a mess. It's lyrical and painful and beautiful.

    "That her existence outside of me was one that was so brief, full of so much pain and distress."

    I'm crying about this now, realizing how much it hurts to sit with these thoughts. This and the bit about never feeling the sun's warmth on her skin. As I lay in a bed in the only home Cayden ever had outside of me, I feel both relief and devastation that this was all he knew. This reality is so cruel and feels so overwhelming so often. And yes, so very strange. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just fine is a just fine place to be. I think we all need to give ourselves permission to be there without feeling guilty.

    I also think feeling just fine comes along with what you said about acceptance of accepting that fact that we can't ever accept any of this.

    Sometimes, in some sick, strange way, I feel almost fortunate to know what it is I, we all, now know. Life is not a rose garden. I no longer have any illusions about it. It's a totally random chaotic shit storm, and as much as I am still in the early, dark days of grief and my emotions are definitely oscillating and I mostly feel down, sometimes, I can still see the roses (or the sunflowers) even though they aren't in a perfect garden, and when I can't, I want to and I try hard to.

    The nature of life isn't going to change. More bad shit may fly my way. It might be totally, unequivocably unfair, but it still may happen. I mean, all ready life has been pretty unfair for me - divorced parents, abusive father who abandoned me, growing up in near poverty, cheating snake of an ex-boyfriend, etc. and then of course baby death followed by job loss. But, with my new understanding of the nature of life, I really do appreciate more the fact that I have a wonderful husband, a tiny house (almost entirely mortgaged but with my name on title and in-laws willing to cover a payment or two while I look for work), a mother who loves me, wonderful dogs, my health, and perhaps most importantly to me right now, the hope of having children one way or another. If more is taken from me, well, then I guess I will just have to find a way to accept that too, and still try to see the roses amongst the flying shit. Either that or just roll over and die, because I can't live forever in these dark places, focusing only on the shit. What's the point in that?

    Don't get me wrong. When the "shit" is the death of your baby, it is sooooo difficult to see anything beyond it. I mean, what happened to our babies is not right. It's never going to be right. It's so horibly wrong and unfair. But, that is why I think what you said about accepting that we will never accept it is so powerful and important.

    Although, I have to admit, random bad things I find easier to accept then bad things and hurt that happen because of the conduct of other people. Like you, I'm also struggling to learn that people aren't always kind, and don't always have good intentions, and they often trample heedlessly on other people. You think after 30 years and the number of times I've been trampled on, I'd figure it out and stop being so trusting and easily hurt. I don't think I am naive to that reality any more, yet I still find myself trusting when maybe I shouldn't and feeling shocked and hurt by the conduct of others. I don't know. Maybe its a good thing? I'm not naive, yet not hardened?

    Maybe there is just some inherent moral standard to which I not only hold myself, but others and I struggle to believe and accept that anyone could act in a manner inconsistent with that standard, like parents swearing at and smacking their children. Can't get my head around it. Still shocks me everytime and I think it always will.

    With all this talk of roses and shit storms, I have found new meaning in the phrases "stop and smell the roses" (particularly important thing to do when shit is flying all around) and "that stinks" :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. The oscillating, it's very familiar. I don't know when or if it ends.

    Just fine is underrated until you know better. I'm so glad you had a moment of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just fine... it's peculiar how things get a new meaning as life continues, one way or another.

    Sending you more sunflowers, everyday.

    Ines

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im so glad for you that you had your "just fine" moments, however breif. I've been having a few myself lately, and feeling guilty for them. But as my mom said, we deserve some happiness. it's just so hard that it's sharing time with so many other, not as fun to be in emotions.
    Isn't it interesting how the experience of losing a child/ren makes one question everything?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ya know, I tend to describe this as a roller coaster, but I think the term "oscillating" makes much more sense. That term just hit home with me. And wildly, definitely.
    I teared up when I read about your "just fine" moment. I wish I could somehow make it last for more than just a moment.
    You are a beautiful writer and person! And all you can do is try your best-I feel so silly writing that because I say it to my students all the time-but, really-what else can you give but your best?
    Hugs to you,
    Christy W

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just fine...what a wonderful place to be, even if only for a few moments. Beautiful post Catherine. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Having had my heart trampled on I get this. But like you, I remain hopeful. Ever hopeful.
    I have also nominated you for the "Honest Scrap" award because, well, you are. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. All of those swirling thoughts sound so familiar. Once the blinders are off and you've seen all of the horror and beauty the world has to offer it's hard to go back--like a mortal whose caught a glimpse of the gods.

    I love the thought of that sunflower turning its face in search of the light and finding you and Jessica. So perfect.

    Thank you for sharing this.

    TracyOC (aka mommicked)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thinking of you... and all of this... and so happy that you share like you do!
    Hugs-

    ReplyDelete