Wednesday 23 December 2009

Snow

On Monday night, I got stuck in the snow coming home from work. A journey that usually takes around 45 minutes became one of nearly five hours.
The town I live in had nearly come to a complete halt.

I try to avoid lengthy periods without distraction. Usually, this is relatively easy to achieve. I never leave the house without a book in my bag. I usually fall asleep listening to the radio. I play with, talk to, sing to and generally annoy my living child who sometimes gives me a look as if to say 'geesh, just five minutes peace mama. Can't you see I'm busy here.'
I sometimes even talk to my dead one. When nobody else is around and I am really desperate to reach her. Although I know she doesn't hear me and my words fall into empty space. Or perhaps she gives me that same old-fashioned look, a slightly altered version of her sister's.

As the snow swirled down into my windscreen, the radio blathered on and on. I wasn't really listening but the host mentioned in passing that it was Winter Solstice. And I thought of Lucia Paz.

I turned the radio off.
I watched the cold snow falling in fat clumps.
I felt the fuggy warmth inside the car.
I felt the heat of the tears on my face.

I opened the window and whispered names into the cold, snowy air.
In a traffic jam.
On the outskirts of a boring suburban town.
Stuck on a motorway junction.
I whispered all the names I could think of.

I wish that I hadn't been stuck on a motorway junction.

I wish that I could have gone to a more beautiful location to remember (although the town I live in is one that is arguably improved by being rendered invisible beneath the snow.)

I wish that I could have said something more eloquent, more beautiful, more graceful.

But then, what could possibly be more graceful than their names.

I whispered all the names out of my car window.
The cold stung my face which was rosy from the car heater.

Then I said, 'You are remembered. You are missed. You are loved.'

Then I put the window up.
The traffic hadn't moved an inch.
For a moment, I almost felt as though we had gathered for that purpose.
To remember.
That we were waiting for the end of the ceremony.
That we would disperse immediately my last whisper steamed up into the snowy air.

But of course, we didn't.
I sat there in the traffic jam and I cried some more.
For all those whose lives were so short. Whose moments between the big horizons of human life were so brief, so tentative.
For all of us here who miss them so. Who love them so.

One life - a little gleam of time between two Eternities.
Thomas Carlyle

27 comments:

  1. I haven't come in a while, but here I am again, reading six posts in one go. All beautiful, and as usual, heartbreaking, and yet again, beautiful. Thank you for sharing your words, your feelings, your beautiful babies, your thoughts.
    Thinking of you and your family mightily this holiday season. xo
    p.s. and, I love that quote, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard on the radio that your town had bad traffic problems and I thought of you and hoped you weren't caught up in it.

    That quote is wonderful. You are wonderful.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my, this was gorgeous. I can't think of anything more eloquent and meaningful than whispering the names of those we love. I can feel the hot tears and winter air, and the love. "But then, what could possibly be more graceful than their names." Nothing. Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love how you whispered names. That is so sweet and just mentioning their names is meaningful. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing thing to do. You have such a beautiful soul to have thought of such a lovely thing. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was so sweet. They are all remembered and missed and loved.... Always.

    And I think Georgina does hear you, Cath... Totally...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you did this. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too believe that Georgina hears you Catherine. I believe it with every fibre of my being. I got caught up in the moment, reading your post, stunned in the beauty of remembering. There is nothing more precious than our babies names and knowing they are thought of, loved and remembered. Wishing you peace, love and laughter with Jessica this Christmas and a precious moment of communion with Georgina. Hugging you

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a tender-hearted perspective on your experience. Thank you for sharing.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are remembered. They are missed. And they are loved. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catherine, I'm so lost for words these days,but thank you again for a beautiful post. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet gesture... I am sure all the whispered names were heard, somewhere up there they know how much we miss them...

    Happy holidays and enjoy the snow!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is absolutely breathtaking. I have that urge too some days to say all the names in a long litany of remembrance. It makes me tear up just to think them. BUt the snow...ah, the snow is perfect in its beauty, silence and reverence in which to speak of our babies. With much love to you as you dig out. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a lovely thing to do. Thank you for that act of kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing grace Catherine...amazing xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sometimes stillness is thrust upon us in this busy world so full of distractions. What a lovely thing to do, the snow coming down and your list of names floating up. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Only a lost baby mom could do something like that....hugsssssss.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my little Kathlyn. you are loved and internationally mourned.

    thanks Catherine.. this means the universe to me. only would i trade my sweet 7lb 1oz brown haired blue eyed little bundle for the quality of people i have chosen to surround myself with. nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey you sweetest mum, thank you for whispering the names of our babies.
    I did the same on winter solstice sunrise and again this morning.

    For nothing loved is ever lost
    and they were loved so much

    Merry Christmas my friend

    love,
    Ines

    ReplyDelete
  20. P.S. I'm glad you made it home and lived to tell... That must have been the longest drive home.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry you got stuck in the traffic jam, but what a beautiful way to spend that time. Remembering with you and wishing you peace and love this Christmas. xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful post- and while it brought pain and tears- you're right- what could be more graceful than their names! You are remembered- missed and loved- your words were heard- there is no doubt about that!
    Thinking of you!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your babies are remembered. They are missed. They are loved... not only by you.

    Wishing you peace in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. We lost our twin guy almost two months ago. He was five and a half weeks old. His name was Fisher. We called him Fish. We miss him terribly. Thanks for writing. It makes us feel less alone.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ah, sweet girl, how beautiful.

    I, too, find myself wanting to always have a distraction. I hope that, should this sometime not be the case, that I seize the opportunity to make beauty as well as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are so wonderful to think of not just your sweet Georgina, but so many other babies as well. Thank you for this beautiful post! xx

    ReplyDelete