Friday 8 January 2010

Friends

Riding on a train of thought stolen from Still Life with Circles.

I've never had masses of friends.
Certainly not friends like those famous 'Friends' on the 90s sitcom, who flit in and out of one another's' apartments and seem so at ease with sharing every aspect of their lives.
Perhaps those sorts of friendships only exist in sitcoms?
Or perhaps the fact that I don't have friends like Monica and Phoebe is attributable to some lack in myself?

But I had friends.

If I could talk to them all now, I would like to say the following.

Hey there friends and acquaintances,

It's been a while.

Some of you have known me since I was a little girl. We used to go to playgroup together. Our mothers were friends. We shared sandboxes and bad haircuts and fought over who would have the red penguin biscuit.

Some of you I met when I was older. An awkward thirteen year old. We agonised over the size of our thighs together. We spent hours closeted in your bedroom or my bedroom. (Our friend's bedrooms. Strange that when you are a child, it is acceptable to hang out in bedrooms. A place that is generally closed off to all but the most intimate of adult friends.)

Some of you I only met at college. When I had shocking blond hair and unsuitable boyfriend(s). When I used to go out every night. When I was pretending to be someone that I'm not because I didn't know who to be.

Some of you I met at university or at work. I'm quiet. I work pretty hard, I drink Diet Coke obsessively, I fiddle with my hair a lot. You might not have noticed me initially or found me aloof. But I hope we got to be friends.

You might have noticed that I'm not around. Even if you can see me. Even if you are sitting right next to me, I might not necessarily be there. With you. Paying attention to you. Listening to what you are telling me.

But something awful happened to me.
Something sad.
My daughter died.
Yes, I know it was a while ago now.

Some of you have probably noticed that I have a little girl. You'll have noticed her in the photographs on my fac.ebook page. She's cute. Thanks for ticking the 'like' box on her pictures. I'm glad you think she's sweet. I do too.

If you don't know me that well and hadn't seen me in person during 2008, you probably don't know that she had a twin sister. I hadn't told that many people that I was pregnant, let alone expecting twins, because I was frightened that something would go wrong. I didn't comprehend how wrong something like this could go. Or how right.

If you aren't particularly interested in my life (and God knows why you would be) you will probably never wade through all my photos and spot the ones of a tiny, tiny baby. That's Jessica you see. Before she grew.

I just wanted to say how sorry I am.
When you didn't know what to say to me when you heard that my daughter had died at three days old.
When you didn't know what to say to me during all the time that Jessica was in hospital.
You see, I didn't know what to say either.
And we both ended up saying nothing. Silence.

I tried.

The first time you spoke to me after the 26th August 08, I probably tried to tell you about Georgina.
I didn't understand that perhaps it wasn't appropriate to bring her up.
I didn't understand that perhaps it made you feel uncomfortable or that talking about her frightened you.
I love her. I wanted to talk about her. She was a real person.

Please bear in mind that I had just spent three months sitting in intensive care, one month sitting in a special care nursery and four months nearly completely housebound with a baby who needed breathing support.
Please understand that the only people I spoke to during that time were my family, one very understanding friend, Jessica's nurses, social workers, counsellors and shrinks. Most of whom were either paid to listen to me rabbit on about Georgina or who could at least cope with her name being mentioned.

I also spent a lot of time on the Internet, reading at length accounts written by those parents who had found themselves in a similar situation. I could talk about her here, with these people. Our dead children are our main topic of conversation around these parts.

So perhaps it is understandable that my inhibitions got a bit hazy around the ages.

Imagine being the only drunk in a room full of sober people. That was me. Drunkenly rambling on and on about my dead daughter (figuratively speaking) whilst all you teetotallers watched in horror as I fell off my chair and landed in a pool of my own vomit. And still tried to carry on talking about Georgina with sick in my hair and an embarrassing slur.

No wonder you were frightened. No wonder that the thought of popping over to see Catherine, or just ringing up Catherine for a chat, didn't fill you with joy.
Didn't have you rushing to jump in the car or diving in your handbag for your mobile. I understand.

I found it very hard to forgive those of you who only re-emerged when it became obvious that Jessica would live, 'when the good news trumped the bad.' I know they followed hard on one another's heels in real terms, what's a few months between friends after all?
But those months were so long. So very long. And I felt so lonely.

I'm sorry. I tried to pretend that none of this had ever happened to me.
But it just won't wash. I can't do it. I only wish I could.

And to some of you, I owe an apology.
A huge apology.
I saw you go through horrible experiences and tough times.
I thought I was there for you, I believed I was a good friend.
I didn't disappear entirely but my idea of being a friend was pretty much the most insipid, spineless imitation of a human being ever. Gutless. Useless. Second only to running away entirely.
I'm sorry. I'm sorry I was such a bad friend to you when you needed me. Please forgive me. Especially those of you who have been such a support to me. And strangely it is those of you that I feel I have most wronged who have been the most comfort to me during the past year and a half.

Perhaps when your own security blanket has been ripped away from you and you have learnt to stand the cold without it, you can respond better to those of us who are still wailing on the ground like little children, banging our heels on the floor and wanting that comforting warmth wrapped back around us?

The rest of you. I hope and pray that when something shitty happens to you, when you are diagnosed with cancer, or in a car accident, or your spouse dies, or when one of your children dies (and I'm afraid to say that these things can, in fact, happen to the likes of you and me) I hope and pray that I won't be one of those who fades away. Even if you don't particularly want me there. I hope you will know that I AM there. That I will say something. Even if I can only manage 'I'm sorry.'

I'm sorry we don't talk anymore.
I'm sorry that we don't get together anymore for drinks, or for food, or a movie.
I'm sorry you haven't had a chance to get to know Jessica, she's a really fun little person.

I'm sorry that I didn't handle it well. But I didn't know how to.
Nobody gets a trial run at handling death and illness. They are always unique. And uniquely devastating. Every time.
You try your best.
I tried my best.
My best was lousy.
I'm sorry.

Maybe we'll catch up one of these days. See you around.

C

25 comments:

  1. Oh. Catherine. This is in incredible piece of writing. Perfect.

    I'm sorry that we live in a world where somehow YOU'RE the one who is apologising here.

    SO much love to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do often think, "I hope I am the type of friend I wish I had when Lucy died."

    Of course, I don't think that it is your responsibility to be the better friend, or to protect anyone from your loss. But then again, I just wrote a litany of all the crap I have done this last year, and then saw your post in my reader. Maybe guilt is just part of this journey. XO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post Catherine. I feel like I say that every time I read your work. You said it all. (And the All would be underlined and in bold if I could figure out how to do it) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to write that to some of my so-called friends. Except they're not really friends any more. They didn't really know what to say when Freyja died. They were shocked when Kees died. And after Jet died, well, they were invisible.

    I hope I'm a better friend. Well, if I ever have any friends again that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Powerful and perfectly said. I too am that drunk, the only one in the room full of sober people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine, you said it all like the rest have already stated. This piece strikes a chord with me because it makes me aware of what kind of friend I have become as a result of my daughter dying. I guess I have been too selfish to look it at that way. You are an amazing person. At the same time, I think it's like you said, no one gets a trial run when disaster strikes.... it's uniquely devastating. Thanks for sharing this. I hope that if by some chance this letter reaches your old friends that they'll understand.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellently put. I am sorry that you feel you have to apologise to these people. I am only just finding out for myself just HOW uncomfortable dead children makes people. And I too am now just saying nothing, rather than be that drunkard that won't shut up. Crazy world we live in! Georgina and Jessica, two wonderful little girls with beautiful names. I wish you had your Georgie with you, xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. big hugs to you, catherine. this is a beautiful, brave piece. thank you for sharing it.

    i am feeling much the same these days - though not ready to apologize to anyone yet. apparently "judging all my friends" is one of the stages of grief. who knew? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry I was not at the party with you, I would have been the drunk rambling on about my baby too, and complaining to my husband that people kept looking at me funny- and really why would anyone want to be around me? I have been there, and I also have not had a trial run at dealing with the death of a child before, so how was I supposed to know how to act? Beautifully written. I am just so sorry, I wish Georgina was here with you and your family too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for articulating so well what we lostbaby mamas go through.

    There have been times when I have resented what people said or didn't say. I will follow your lead and forgive them, as well as myself.. Who truly knows how to navigate these waters?

    It is a lonely grief, but I do believe we learn from it how to be a better friend to others when they are in need.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post Catherine.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're a kinder, gentler person than I am Catherine. My feelings towards friends that left me in the dirt is to extend my middle finger and slam the door shut. I wish we didn't have to talk about any of this, about the loneliness of being abandoned in our darkest hours, of having to struggle in our grief with a newborn to take care of. It's impossible to articulate all we've been through, yet you manage to put a voice to so much of what I've felt. I love reading your blog and your perspective. Sending you hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow. i wish i could write that to my friends, acquaintances, coworkers. i remember telling my first 2 close friends that i made after losing the twins, "i wish you'd known the old me. she was a lot more fun and funny and she smiled and laughed." they didn't understand, and why would they? they only knew the new, post-twins me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're a better person than I am for even thinking about saying sorry.
    And you really are an amazing writer.
    Wow Catherine, just wow.
    Oh and I wanted to say the line about being a drunk in a room full of sober people - yes, oh yes.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, wow, wow! It's perfect. It is so true and just.... perfect.

    Thank you for writing that.

    Sarah xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Catherine, will you be my official spokesperson???
    You have quite the knack of putting feelings that I think so many of us have down on paper, so beautifully, and thouroughly.
    I personally am not sorry yet, but I am so thankful for friends who continue to call and email, when I don't reciprocate. You did what you had to do, Catherine, for your daughters,and your family, and yourself. Any true friend would understand, although admittedly, it's not quite the same if you hven't been there/here. It's not as though you got a bad haircut and locked yourself away until it grew out, not caring about anyone else. It was as serious as life gets, and I think ou should be proud of the love and commitment you have for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautifully written and well said ... you owe no apology to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are absolutely amazing!! I never thought that we would be the ones to apologize, but maybe we do.

    Its funny I come across your post because I was just saying to my husband today why do I have to be the bigger person and say "I'm sorry." I just went through a life changing tragedy and I have to apologize. It just goes to show you how much we have all changed as a result of our losses.

    Our babies would be so proud of all of us. Thank you for this post. Thank you for putting everything out there so eloquently. A wonderfully written post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I second Jenni and Sally. I am not there yet - and wondering will I ever? Sending a big hug! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. i am SOAKED in my own vomit right now. no one knows what to do, and they want to look away, because it's so gross, but they know they should help. and i still just keep talking and talking and talking about kathlyn, through the vomiting.

    wow catherine. so many of us have said it. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can I just say Wow... And that you should be receiving apologies from those who didnt come around or who wanted to come later. But a strong woman takes the high road- and a strong woman you are.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Truly an amazing post. A bereaved parent told me to be prepared to have relationships in my life change. She said that some friendships will fade or end, others will blossom, and some will strengthen.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm inebriated by grief, too....and feeling enraged with a few of my closest friends who I feel have abandoned me. Since George died they've hardly called or emailed or written and we were in weekly contact before he was stillborn. So this post really hit me. xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautifully put, as others have said.
    This topic is close to many of our hearts, but can be a painful one to tackle. You've done it in a most elegant manner. xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am just rereading this and think it is quite possibly the most wonderful thing I have read in a very long time. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete