Tuesday 14 September 2010

Dance

We are at the wedding.
The only wedding we will attend this year.
After last summer's glut, just this one.
Lonesome at the end of the summer.
A day of mourning.
September 11th.

The groom, handsome and kindly.
The bride, radiant.
All is as it should be.

Jessica sleeps through the speeches but wakes in time to snaffle the lion's share of her mother's chocolate fondant pudding and ice cream. Spoon fed to her by a proud and careful eight year old relation. Wary of stains, grass or chocolate. Some kind of cousin one or more times removed. We tried to work it out, her and I, but decided it was too complex and we would just call their relationship 'cousins.'

Later the first dance.
The happy couple have chosen Starship's 'Nothing Gonna Stop Us Now', not the choice I was expecting to be honest. It was released in 1987 when these two can barely have been knee high to a grasshopper.

The lyrics take on a strange poignancy and I'm suddenly whizzed back to my own wedding. In a strange, half light my husband and I dance through the NICU to the sounds of Starship.

They look so happy and brave.
I think to myself . . . nothing?
I hope so. And find I am crying.

The band starts. They are playing 'Johnny B Goode' and red and green lights chase around the floor. Jessica alternates between attempting to capture one for her very own and staring at the band. My husband and I work out, shamefacedly, that is probably the first time she has witnessed anyone playing an instrument.

My aunt and uncle dance close to the front. Proper dancing belonging to their generation. Not the shuffle of the 1980s. Jessica watches. She puts a leg out and up. Then brings it down smack on the floor. And again. Joining in.

I take her hands and we are whirling in the midst of them. And I am happy.

Not the flattish contented feeling I termed happiness before.
Life gave that old thing a good shake and up it popped, into three dimensional solidity.
Happiness sits over my heart, claws extended into my skin. Like a small vicious animal.
So sharp that I can almost feel it, a shard of glass penetrating my skull.
I am suddenly self-conscious. I wonder if anyone else sees me and my happiness and judges.
Look at her dancing over there, her with the dead daughter and all that shiny, spiky mess over her heart.

But nobody is looking.
Their eyes register briefly then slide on.
A sweet toddler in a silk dress. Mistook her for a boy initially, with that short hair, but in a dress?
A woman with hair that is too long for her age. She would have done well to have attempted to squeeze into those Spanx this morning but perhaps she's just the type who lets herself go? That child is too old to still be carrying that baby belly. Don't know who these two belong to, bride or groom?

But I don't care for their thoughts.
If they even pause for long enough to spare us a thought or two.

I feel free.

We whizz around and around. Chasing one another, this way and that. I smile, she smiles.
Everything tumbles into place, just for an instant.
My heart beats. Her heart beats. It is enough.

And on the edges of that splintered, glimmering, glowing mess that is my happiness hovers Georgina.

23 comments:

  1. I know i should save reading your blog for after the school run, but here I am again, tear stained cheeks before school, a beautiful post Catherine. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful post, Catherine.

    xxoo Ines

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to take my breath away. I know Georgina is never hovering far away. She's always there.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dance and your happiness sound wonderful.

    I too listen to words of songs and wonder. Nothing? Well, I guess they might be lucky. Some people are. Just not us.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. such sweetness... honestly... brutal beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes it's hard to tell why people choose the music they do for their weddings. My brother- and sister-in law exited their wedding ceremony to the Beatles' Eleanor Rigby. I still haven't figured out the connection between marriage and all the lonely people.

    I love the way you talk about happiness here, the way it can be piercing instead of warm and fuzzy.

    I'm so glad you had this dance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful... I love your words. So honest, deep, and real.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your description of happiness - amazing and perfect and so true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been here for a while Catherine and I am sorry to be missing. Your words ring true for me in so many ways. Love to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes. Just wow. I don't always comment but I am always reading your words Catherine. I often think wow. You put our feelings into such beautiful prose, bold and blunt and always with such honesty.

    Love to you and yours.

    Lol and I love "nothings gonna stop us now"... wonder why they picked that? I remember it from that silly eighties movie "mannequin" and I play it all the time. Good song to sing along to. Lol.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is wonderful to read this today. What a delicate balance, eh?

    But I do have to say that I am *not happy* about having Starship in my head now! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry Audrey. Just thought I'd share the pain! I'm on day five of Starship now. Don't like it any better than I did on day one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sending hugs. weddings are a sharp mix of happiness and pain at times. i'm glad you had happiness at the one you were at too xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Catherine, I've been sitting here for several minutes in a row, and I still can't put into words how I feel about this post. All I can think to say is that it spoke to me. And that seems so inadequate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful way to describe happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the image of you dancing, happy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful, breath-taking post, Catherine! I feel I am watching a movie, through a blurred lens, or tears... xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. As always your words make tangible so much of how it feels to be living in the aftermath of death. Happiness is most certainly a vicious animal.

    Love to you.

    -Briannna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, thanks soooo much for the Starship sound track!
    I'm glad you had your moment(s) of happiness with Jessica. You deserve them. And so does she. I remember feeling similarly when that first happened to me. Your words describe the emotion so well...
    I smile thinking of you whirling around the dance floor with your little girl. I dance with my little guy, however poorly, and ususally to "daddy's music", which unfortunately happens to be old school rap, yet is requested by the maneen...and I think it is good for both (or all, if DH is joining us) of us. Somehow we all end up smiling after that.
    PS I wore SP@nx to a wedding a few weeks ago, I don't think they helped much ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Honestly, Catherine, I cannot read a single thing you write without ending up in tears.
    Just so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never have the words to comment. Beautiful and touching as always. xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. This post is stunning Catherine! I love your description of happiness as it is now.

    I can't stand the idea that hair should be cut shorter as women age.

    ReplyDelete