Thursday 23 September 2010

Drive

I have often wished that I worked closer to home. I went from working ten minutes walk away from my front door to over thirty miles away. So I have the best part of an hours drive to work in the morning and the same on the return journey. It is mainly motorway so it is not particularly interesting or taxing to drive. Sometimes it is hard to stay awake at the wheel.

It is a strange time. Spent doing nothing productive and yet unavoidable. A kind of enforced 'sit and think' time. Even when I would rather not have it. Of course, part of my brain is fully occupied with controlling the hurtling chunk of metal that I sit in. But the rest is free to roam.

I'm frightened of silence these days. So I put the radio on. Even then, I frequently find myself driving down the motorway crying. I wonder how many of us there are. In all those cars charging past me. How many of us have tears running down our cheeks, which we try to wipe away clumsily with one hand, all the time trying to ensure that we don't hit the car in the front? Sometimes I try to peer in. To find a fellow travelling mourner.

The radio murmur has it own little triggers.
The phrase 'strangled at birth.'
Discussions about medical ethics.
Snippets of news related to pregnancy or miscarriage.
Some poor member of parliament who found himself telling us all about his wife's recurrent miscarriages in an attempt to defend himself from allegations regarding his sexuality.

One evening this week there was a story on the news about an elderly woman who died at the grand old age of eighty nine in the seaside town of Torquay. What nobody had really known about her, until after her death, was that, at twenty three, she had been a secret agent in occupied France. She was found out, captured and tortured by the Gestapo and wound up in a concentration camp. She had survived but kept her secrets to herself. Nobody had known about this lady's past.

She had been due a pauper's funeral but, instead, was buried with full honours. As befitted her.
The closing sentence of the item was "You will never be forgotten, addressed to a lady none of us really knew."

Inevitably, I suppose, I thought of Georgina's funeral.

My mother used to say that the old mourn more at funerals than the young.
That they have a cumulative effect and that, at every funeral, you mourn again for all those that came previously. I used to think that was awful, that humans couldn't even take a few hours to mourn specifically for one individual but that we had to take out all our own little individual griefs and superimpose them on the one we were supposed to be  mourning currently. Seems a little disrespectful somehow. But that is why we are human. Those ties that bind us to the dead may stretch and strain but they never snap. Those threads only go slack when we go to join those who go before us I suppose.

I'm not entirely sure of the date of Georgina's funeral.
It has merged into that blur of after.
We wanted to have her buried initially. We live within walking distance of a children's cemetery and I wanted her to be buried there. But they wouldn't take her, the cemetery is full.
And so she was cremated.

There were two mourners.
The service was taken by the hospital chaplain who had blessed her days earlier.

I remember waiting outside the crematorium. We weren't sure where to go. We walked around the gardens.
There was a path around the edge of the building and this was edged with places to put flowers. Each slot had a name. And there was her's.
Baby Georgina W----.
That appellation. That 'Baby' nearly undid me. At once so tender, so gentle. My baby. Baby.
And simultaneously, so dismissive.
Only a baby.
Not even her full name. Georgina Jane.
Just Baby Georgina.
And there are those who would argue with affording my daughter even that status.
Other people being cremated that day did not have a qualifier prior to their names. Old Man Joe Bloggs. Middle Aged Woman Sarah Brown. Because they didn't need any clarification.

We hadn't thought to bring flowers for her. We didn't bring anything. The place where her flowers were supposed to lie was bare. Just like the space her life should have occupied.

The slot next to Georgina's was also a baby.
As we walked into the chapel, another couple walked out. Like walking into a mirror.
As we passed them, I wondered if we looked as destroyed as they did.

We sat down. Georgina's coffin was at the front. As there were only two us at her funeral, the chaplain told us to come and sit right up by the coffin. And so we did.

The three of us, my husband, myself and the chaplain sat around the white box that contained our little girl.

I remember that I wanted to open the coffin. That I wanted to pick it up and run away with it. That I wanted to fall to my knees and cuddle it.

But I didn't. I just sat there and cried.

There was no music.
There was the funeral service for a child from the Alternative Service Book.
I didn't say anything.
My husband didn't say anything.

Sometimes I regret Georgina's funeral. I wish she'd had choirs and horses and doves and hundreds of mourners.
I wish her mother had wailed and pulled out her hair and thrown herself on to the coffin.
I wish that there had been somehow . . . more.

Because she lost her life.
Life is a strange state. But it was all I had to offer. It was all I hoped to give her. I don't know anything else.

I sometimes wonder about the process of cremation. I wonder what the inside of the ovens look like. I wish I hadn't left her there, in the chapel. I wish I had walked down to wherever they were taking her, stayed with her.

I have a vision of flames burning my daughter's body away. But I don't suppose it works like that.

Sometimes I think Georgina's funeral was right. In a horrible way. Right.

Sparse, short and sad.

I miss her.
I miss her so very much.
My baby.
Georgina.

17 comments:

  1. This is so timely for me as my daughter's one year anniversary dates are coming up this weekend. I've been spending some time reflecting on the past year, and now really remembering how last year at this time, our lives were forever changed.

    This is so beautiful. I love the picture you paint of you and Jessica at the wedding. Made me smile. The moments of pure happiness are priceless, and so much more appreciated given our losses.

    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine, today I cried on the bus, it's not the first time, and probably not the last. I don't drive, but if I did I'm sure I'd be crying then too.
    I have a funeral to go to tomorrow. A funeral for a man who lived a whole life, and sadly a man I didn't much like, and all I can really think about is Florence, and all of our babies who deserved so much more. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Catherine. Emma's funeral was listed in the notice sheet of the church where we held her service. Baby Emma Faith M-. I was glad of the precision because I wanted acknowledgement, dammit, that she had gone too, too soon.

    I'm so sorry that these are the memories we have of our dauhters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The no one knowing him part breaks my heart too. I wish people knew him and not just this vague idea of him and his once upon a time existence. One day I will be gone and Leif will be gone and no one will remember him. Not really, anyway.

    I wish there was more for them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, car-crying is one of my bad habits. Aside from cars themselves scaring me to tears, it is almost a comforting place to let go and have a proper weep. Private but not really.

    On funerals and the cumulative effect - I had hoped that you'd get better at handling this death thing as you got older and had more experience with it. But I don't think that is the way it works.

    I don't think you need to feel regret about Georgina' funeral - you and your husband did your best at a time when you had just been knocked around the head with the unthinkable. No amount of choirs could have conveyed your love for her better than your simple presence.

    And if you do feel like something bigger to remember her now, I don't see anything wrong with having a three-years-later memorial and inviting as many mourners / choirs as you like. xxxxh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I howl in the car too - terribly.

    I think I am exceptionally fortunate that I don't have funeral regrets and I think the reason for it is just that I had already had children and somehow I had learned some things that would matter over the years. Without that, I think I would have been just so under-prepared. As it was i felt I could make no sensible decisions.

    Freddie's little box, tucked away, says "Baby Freddie R- Aged 11 Days" - breaks my heart but actually, I just know, I feel, that when the person wrote it they put that 'Baby' there to acknowledge, to mark out, to engrave on the universe that this is ALL WRONG and NOT FAIR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. if i drove to work i'm certain that some mornings i would cry too. but D drives me, drops me off on his way to work, so i don't get that space. which is good, and bad.

    i went to the crem today. i've never been since the communal service they held. i never found the snowdrop garden that day. i had to ask someone where it was today. and when i got there it was full. of teddy bears. cards. windmills and wind chimes. and tiny silver plaques. why did no one tell me we could do that? i wish i'd known. so i can relate to the flowers.

    but i'm sure that georgina understands.

    i sneaked a picture of the coffin. it's a terrible shot but i needed a picture. i wish i'd been brave enough to go outside and take a proper pic when it arrived.

    oh catherine. i wish georgina was here. and that my snowflake was here. and all the other babies and children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know about car crying. I had a 2 hour commute each way to work and often during IF I spent it crying. But your pain is so much more than that ... I wish so much your Georgina was here and you had no need of those tears ... I suppose saying that is so obvious, so useless, but still I find myself unable to backspace because it still is true and may be my only way of communicating to you how intensely I wish things had gone differently for you. You are on my mind often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I car cry too. Sometimes I even deliberately play her music.

    I never went to the crematorium. I couldn't bring myself to do it. I let the funeral and the balloon release be our goodbye... And yet I wish I'd gone to the crematoriom, wish I'd been there to witness that one last act. It's funny, the things we regret. We will always have them hey, but in the moment, we do what we need to do.

    Love to you,
    xx
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely a car crier here. I'm still not sure how it ranks in the 'dangerous things to do whilst driving' list... but I still do, whenever I need to. I'm sometimes amazed by how many emotions I can go through in 20 miles.

    I don't know what to say about the funeral, just so sorry that you needed to have one at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad I read about so many fellow car-bawlers. I don't know why it gets to me so often while driving. But anyway: Welcome to the club.

    Thanks for sharing the bit about the former agent. Loved this sentence: "You will never be forgotten, addressed to a lady none of us really knew."

    Georgina will never be forgotten as well. Not by me, not ever. She's changed our world, you know?

    Thinking about you... Big loves! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Catherine-- Every time I read your blog, I see myself reflected in it. Frightened of silence-- when I'm at home alone now, I usually have the TV on at all times, even when I'm doing other things. As if I could crowd the terrible thoughts out of my head. Crying in the car, worrying all the time that it's probably not safe. Wondering about the cremation-- I have these same visions in my head, usually right after I have that moment of "Wait, maybe she's not really gone!" I hope you will be gentle with yourself and your regrets-- you certainly have to feel how you feel, but also remember that you were in the throes of a terrible trauma and still had another child to mother as well. And who the hell could possibly know or anticipate what a funeral for a child should be like? NO ONE should ever have to contemplate that, let alone actually do it. Thinking of you, and Georgina, and sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Time alone-time to think-so, so dangerous. I feel like going through all of this has made me feel WAY too deep and introspective about life.
    I wish, sometimes, I could walk my way through it-not analyzing every single little thing, not thinking everything is monumental. But instead, I do, and I feel so vulnerable because of it.
    Anyway, enough about me. I just wanted to say that I am here and thinking of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hated my long commute. But it was nice to have a long transition time between home and work. Esp. if you have a bad day at work!

    I think no matter what service we did for our girls, it would always be 'wrong'.

    ReplyDelete
  15. While the memories of their funerals make us warm remembering the people who shared those days with us, the pain of losing our babies is just as shattering as it always was. Small service or big, it is still horribly painful. Reading your words brought tears to my eyes and made my stomach hurt. This is terribly unfair. Unfair. Horribly so.

    Sending love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to do the car crying thing all the time. It felt like the only place to do it where I didn't have to hold back. I cried so much that I didn't wanna drive alone in long distances for a while. It still hits me here and there.

    And as far as funerals go, I wish I could have done it differently too. Made it more grand because he mattered, even in his short life. Made it as unforgettable as he is. Everytime I pass by the funeral home, I still feel a pang of guilt that I didn't go there the night before, to hold him one last time and just be with him.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was a compulsive car-crier for a long time. Now I find I can't cry in my car. Probably just as well.

    I have wondered so often about the process of cremation. I wish I had taken Ben there, witnessed it -- and then I know I could not have done it.

    I just hate knowing he was all alone.

    ReplyDelete