Monday 29 November 2010

Misunderstandings

"Catherine," she said. "It must have been two years."

I turn around. My eyes are dazed and small from staring at the computer screen. I'm not at all sure of her name. She is a project manager of some description. She is cheery, breezy. Perhaps pleased to have remembered the name of someone who played a minor minion role in a long ago project of her's.

"Really?" I say. "Two years. Huh? Doesn't time fly?" I try to smile whilst I scrabble about for a name. Something beginning with S? Sharon? Hmmmm. I'm not confident enough to try it out.
Particularly as she has remembered my name.
Although the name plaque on my desk does give her an unfair advantage.

"Last time I saw you," she says mock accusingly, eyes narrowed, "you had a big bump."

I feel a small internal electric shock, a jolt of disbelief. I did?

"So . . . . . what did you have? A boy or a girl?"

I believe I hear a small intake of breath from my colleague, sitting next to me. But perhaps not.
I feel as though the focus of the room has suddenly snapped to my chair, to my awkward, flapping face as it hangs there. Uncertainly.

But it hasn't. Nobody is looking, nobody is listening.

I hear the blood thump in my ears.

I want to, very quietly and slowly, get off my chair and crawl into the space under my desk. I just want to fold myself up and sit cross legged in that small, dark void. Amongst the cables. I don't want to cry or scream or bang on the desk. Just sit. Very still.

But that would not be fair. To this pleasant and efficient woman who is pleased for remembering my name and the fact that I was pregnant.

I undo my hair in an attempt to hide my reddening ears.

"A girl," I say. "A little girl."

I fumble for the photograph frame with its picture of Jessica.

"Here she is. She's two."

"Yes, she would be," smiles lady beginning with S.

She doesn't ask about the other photograph of the sun setting over the ocean and a name written in the sand. Nobody ever does although I often wish they would.

"Nice to see you again," I say. I turn my eyes back to my screen. They ache.

***

"Is this your first?"

"No, actually, this baby will be my third."

"Your third? Oh wow, you're an old hand then!"

I suppose I am.
In a strange way and not how the speaker imagines.
Old as the hills.

I smile to myself as I walk away.

19 comments:

  1. Never gets easier, does it? And any time anyone says anything about two years ago, in any context, I seize up. Same way that if anyone mentions the year 2008 at all, I freeze. I can place myself, no matter what month I mention and I'm either re-living the complete and utter happiness, although it if was after August 18, I am re-living the horror that is still my life to this day.
    I will always ask about the beautiful name in the sand. She is beautiful.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you did great, i got asked in the supermarket the other day if this was my first baby and it nearly brought tears to my eyes, i answered yes, grabbed my bags of food and ran to the car saying "sorry harvey" over and over again. some days i can do it and some days i can't. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh... I got a punch in the gut for you just reading your post.

    How sweet of her to remember and to ask. How difficult for you to try to answer in a way that works for... her.

    What strength you have to keep it together! It's amazing what us BLMs can do and continue to do to make life easier on everyone else. (That sounds snarky and I don't mean it that way one bit... just a fact.)

    xo

    PS You may feel old but you look fantastic!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Catherine, I remember those conversations. You did brilliantly. I think of you all the time. I know I am dreadful at emailing, but I really am thinking of you everyday.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have the twins' ultrasound picture on my desk. i think people don't know what it is...they think it's the ham, maybe, or they just don't see it anymore. *i* hardly notice it anymore. don't think i've ever been asked about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is weird how seemingly innocuous questions take on new significance now, isn't it? For most people that conversation would have been a very easy, very banal conversation. I'd say you handled it very well.

    I hope all is well with you, Catherine. I think about your family often and hope for only good things for you in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand this all too well. Big ((hugs)).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you said third. Love love love. Because I'm 8 weeks (and two days) pregnant now with MY third, and just thanking God that most of the people we'll tell about this pregnancy know about the son I lost as well as the son I keep. And I hate myself every time people ask if Finley is my first, because in truth, he's my second. Three weeks before he was born I was mother to an entirely different child, and HE was the first.

    And Finley was my first to come home, and the first one I met alive, but he just isn't my first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ugh those questions have a way of cutting right through you. "How many children do you have? Do you have any other little ones at home? Is this your first?" I hate all those questions and am so sorry you had to be caught off guard like that. I would have wanted to crawl away too. You handled the situation with such grace. I usually become a mess spilling ever horrific detail onto unassuming strangers. You are so strong. Thinking of you xx.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did amazingly well with that conversation...so proud of you for staying strong. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's how I feel ... old as the hills.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Old as the hills, indeed.

    You did great. I wish more people would ask about the picture of Georgina's name, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I a trying to learn myself not to assume anything about other's reproductive history.

    It just might be more than it seems.

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Arg - so hard. I have seriously thought about having little cards printed for this very purpose that say what needs to be said without me having to say it. Sending love xxxh

    ReplyDelete
  15. It never does get an easier, does it? The questions... the answers...

    Old, my dear... So old... Arent we all...

    ReplyDelete
  16. You handled that much better than I would have. The only thing that saves me when people ask about Jack is that Jack was born first. The question is normally "Is he your first?" It is hard to leave it at yes and not add, but his twin brother is watching him from Heaven.

    It's funny (for lack of a better word), but since I became a mommy to an Angel Baby, I no longer ask people about their kids (outside of friends and family). It's sad that as a mommy we can't share the beauty of both of our children.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jack and Kyle's Mom - I am exactly the same, I hardly ever ask questions about people's children (or plans for future children) any more. I suppose it is because I know how flustered and hurt I can be myself by well-meaning queries.

    I'm so very sorry for the loss of Jack's twin. Georgina was actually my first born but I often just say 'yes' when people ask me if her sister is my first. It's horrible and yes, it is hard to leave it at that. I also want to tell people that she has a twin and it just breaks my heart to say nothing and equally it breaks my heart to tell the whole sad story. Can't win. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Catherine- I am amazed at the strength you summoned to handle this. Me- I'd have been under the desk for certain. Thinking of you mamma.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. ugh... I am so sorry. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete