Friday 3 December 2010

Twins

I remember reading a book about twins, in that brief pause between discovering that I was expecting two babies and taking home one.

I remember I wanted to skip the chapter on the death of one or both babies, as that seemed an outcome too horrible to contemplate. But I read it. There was a passage that stuck with me, about how women who lose one or more babies from a multiple birth, mourn the loss of their 'status' as a mother of twins or triplets or more. That seemed strange to me at the time. Now . . . not so much.

I did feel special, clever almost. That I had conjured up two babies where you would normally expect only one.

I don't feel quite so clever about it now. 

The fact that I will, in all probability, never raise twins is a strange, subsidiary little loss. 
That people will never know me for the mother of twin girls. 
That strangers will never stop me in the street and ask if my two babies are twins.
Those weeks of searching for double buggies and buying identical outfits rise up before me like a fever dream. That proud, bustling woman unrecognisable. And, quite frankly, rather irritating. 

I was so very proud of 'my twins' but the loss of that formless, faceless doubling of babies is nothing really. 
A drop in the ocean. 
Compared to the loss of the person that was Georgina. 

But Georgina's 'twin-ness' was a part of her. One of the few things that I can say confidently that I know about my eldest daughter. That she was one of twins.

When I found out I was expecting twins, I was upset for a little while. I didn't believe that I would be able to cope. I was frightened of being a good enough mother for one baby, let alone two. I felt somewhat outnumbered.

Although I haven't had to worry about the practicalities of changing two sets of nappies, trying to synchronise two sets of feeds or two sets of naps, I am still Georgina's mother. Just as much as I am Jessica's. I am still a mother to twins, although not in a way that would be immediately remarked upon. 

That inverse space where Georgina could be, that tiny, ill baby just beyond my reach, that pale ghost of a toddler, her living sister in reverse.
An imagining that I scarcely dare to try to colour in, because if I started I don't think I could bring myself to stop.

I cannot wish her away. I cannot undo her. I wouldn't want to. My thoughts often whir around that strange emptiness, that 'could have been'-ness that is Georgina's absence. It is my want and love that keeps her here. It nudges at me. It murmurs in my ear. It keep me returning to the places where she might have stood, or sat, or eaten a rusk, or had her nappy changed, or slapped her sister's cheek. To all those things she might have been or done. Might. I just can't leave that possibility alone. Although it hurts and hurts and the places themselves are worn to unravelling with my pacing, waiting feet and my yearning that she will, impossibly, come back.

That lack in the middle of our family has formed us. We have grown around it, contorted and twisted and grown in strange new patterns to accommodate the death of one of us. 
That tiny absence is so powerful that bits of me have simply dropped off and turned to ash, friendships that I trusted have untwisted, new parts sprung out. 
We are a different family because of Georgina. Her life and her death and our witnessing of both of them.
I don't think I ever saw anyone live quite like my daughter did.
I've certainly never seen anyone else die. 
I am a different mother. My husband, a different father. 
Because we were Georgina's parents.
As well as Jessica's. 
Because we had two daughters.
Twins.

This time, when I found out that I was not expecting twins, part of me was wistful. 
Stupidly, as there are a multitude of reasons why it would not be a good idea for me to have twins again. 
But there it is.
Sometimes I still feel a little pang of regret for my twins. 

23 comments:

  1. Oh Cath, you have said all I have wanted to say for so long. Sending love as always to you and both of your beautiful girls. Xxxx (a kiss for each of our twin girls)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sobbing, as your posts always leave me.

    its true that we were in love with the idea of having twins. nowhere near as much as we loved each child, separately, though.

    see, we knew that we put two embryos in. we knew that there was a strong possibility of twins. you, my friend. you must have been beside yourself with happiness and excitement even more for the surprise of it all.

    its just unfair.

    i wanted to tell you how much i always love your comments and how much they mean to me.
    xoxo
    lis

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is exactly what I feel. I lost a triplet and continue to mourn for the loss of that "tripletness." Loss has forever changed us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something about your loss that I just can't get my head around. It is just too huge to contemplate. That you had all the joy and the sorrow just lumped on you all at once. Death, birth. Sadness, happiness. And that while you came home without your daughter, you still went home with one. You had to learn how to parent at the same time you had to learn how to grieve. It is so much for someone to go through, yet I am constantly amazed at the grace you have shown in handling this truly bittersweet situation.
    You'll always be the mother of twins in my book, even if the rest of the world never sees you that way. An amazing one at that.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I COMPLETELY understand. When I found out Gigi was just 1 baby, I think I was in denial. Every time we went in for an u/s I always hoped they would find a second little on in there. I know it would have put us all at risk, but I still wanted it, I still want it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is spot on and it's such a tough thing to articulate about loss in a multiple pregnancy. Sometimes I get annoyed with myself for being sad about missing out on the twin parenting experience. How can I even think about that? R died. I shouldn't have room for sadness of any other stripe.

    But I am sad about it. I'm sad that we didn't get to implement our Halloween costume plans or referee their arguments. I'm sad that we seem so ordinary when we're out and about.

    I keep it under wraps. I don't want C to feel like she's somehow inadequate or that her entire life is flavored with tragedy. But it's definitely there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't understand at all, but I can see how it would be quite the quandary of emotions as Hope's Mama said up above. You are a beautiful mother to your twins. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved that we were expecting twins and that they would have that special bond. The books I read all said how their is something special about being a mom of multiples and it is almost as though you belong to a special club on moms. I never would have thought that the club of being a twin mom would have changed to the club of being a babyloss mom. Your words speak so close to my heart. I wish Georgina was with you. In your arms with her sister.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a twin mom. Totally. Completely. And Jessica is a twin. Perhaps in some ways we cant know, she will know Georgina is a special
    way, even now. I like to hope that. :)

    Hugs, dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true Catherine. You said it so well. All the things related to their twinness and the losses after one died. And how it changed everything...
    Thinking of you. Hope your pregnancy is going well...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Catherine.. this takes my breath away "I don't think I ever saw anyone live quite like my daughter did."

    You have pulled words straight from my soul.
    SO much love and light to you....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Catherine, to me you are always the mother of twins, beautiful twin girls. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. So exquisitely beautiful and painful.

    I love the way you write. So I gave you this little blog award thingy: http://balloonnature.blogspot.com/2010/12/cherry-on-top.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. "That lack in the middle of our family has formed us. We have grown around it, contorted and twisted and grown in strange new patterns to accommodate the death of one of us. "

    I've spoken so much to my grief counselor about this very same thing many, many times over the last eight months (although you have said it much more effectively than I). Sometimes I don't even recognize myself anymore.

    I often wonder what it would be like to have two changing life situations happen at once they way they have with you. Life to nurture. Death to memorialize. Of course, grief to endure at the same time.

    You live as the ghost of a mother of twins much in the same way that we, the ones who have no other children, live as the ghost of being a mother at all. Same invisibility but different parameters. I can't totally understand but I can catch glimpses through what you write here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just so wish it were different, Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Catherine, I have this vivid memory. I sat on the couch in the basement of my old house and I spoke on the phone for 3 hours to an old friend of mine that had twins. The entire time I frantically took notes. Then I compared the notes to the twin book I had just bought. I went upstairs to the mini-van we had just purchased and practiced opening the doors and putting the (imaginary) car seats in. I would try to play out in my head how it would go with twins.
    I think of how happy and scared I was. I, like you, never really wanted twins. Until, of course it was completely ripped away from us.
    I just wish it was another way.
    All my love to you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sally took the words right out of my mouth. You are an amazing mother to your beautiful twins because we do, really do, still parent our missing children. I feel that so strongly.

    Thinking of you and wishing you many gentle days on this path.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Catherine, I always make sure to read your blog when I can give it the time and attention it deserves. I know you will not fail to stir something in me. This post is no different.

    All of the inpatient monitoring I had gave me an opportunity to "observe" my daughters' personalities and behaviors. I had such conviction about who they were before they were even born and how they interacted before I witnessed it in the flesh (I never did witness it in the flesh). I think always of whether they would have continued their in utero dynamic or not. I miss that so much.

    I am utterly torn between the humility and gratitude of how much worse it could have been and the rage I feel for what *should* have been.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thinking of you and your twin girls, Catherine. I wish - oh I wish for many things, but I wish they were both with you now, that you didn't have to figure out how to mother a living child while learning to grieve her twin.

    It's not at all the same, but I had some similar feelings when I found out that Teddy's younger sibling was a girl - relief, gladness, wistfulness, a little guilt at the wistfulness.

    Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  20. "That lack in the middle of our family has formed us. We have grown around it, contorted and twisted and grown in strange new patterns to accommodate the death of one of us.
    That tiny absence is so powerful that bits of me have simply dropped off and turned to ash, friendships that I trusted have untwisted, new parts sprung out."
    Just how are you able to put feelings into words so, so perfectly?
    I miss having a twin pregnancy, too. But mostly because I was tripling my children all at once. After such difficulty conceiving, I felt maybe it was my reward, two blessings at once.
    Now I've been medically advised against another multiple pregnancy. So if I ever go through IVF again, I'll be betting everything on one egg in my basket, instead of putting them all in it.
    Hoping you and your family are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thought I commented awhile ago on this... but I guess not. I completely and totally understand what you're saying. I think that's why I pushed to have 2 embryos put back in... though I knew I was taking a huge and gigantic risk. I wanted to feel that again... to finally be a part of what I felt like I should be a part of.

    I'm glad you wrote this because I was thinking that I was the only one crazy enough who, after going through the worst, still wanted it again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing this. I can't understand, but you've helped me perhaps get a glimpse of understanding for a family member who recently experienced bringing home one of her twins. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad you've shared with us about Georgina. I always think of you as mother of twins - just wish so much they were both with you. xo

    ReplyDelete