Tuesday 21 December 2010

Shame

I felt ashamed when the twins were born.

Not of them. Not of Jessica. Not of Georgina. Never of them. I was only ever proud of my children. Still am.
Shame was not my main reaction but one of many subsidiaries. I was ashamed of myself.
Ashamed that my body had performed so disastrously badly. 
And also, embarrassed. 

I felt as though I had waltzed out on the middle of the stage in front of everyone I knew and told them that I was going to do an astounding magical conjuring trick. But it didn't work. And not only did it not work. It went wrong in ways that nobody could have foreseen. Involving extreme peril and death. And I was left standing up there on the stage whilst the audience looked on with expressions ranging through pity, distaste and horror. 

I was embarrassed, mortified, humiliated, ashamed. But those minor emotions were overwhelmed by the enormity of the grief that I felt. That Georgina was dead and that I would never, ever see her again.

I've always had a little store cupboard in my brain for 'The Shameful Words and Deeds of Catherine W.'
It's a surprisingly big cupboard given that I've never murdered anyone or been sued for slander or done anything out especially of the ordinary in fact.

They are, in the main, small, weak things. Built of dust and feathers. And, somehow, that makes them even more shameful. That they are not even proper shameful deeds, not particularly muscular or even interesting.

But also, here in the cupboard, lurks the shame I feel that I somehow caused all of this to come down on my children's heads, that I was a rotten person, that I somehow caused, or failed to prevent, an infection, that I couldn't stop the labour, that I cried out giving birth to two such tiny babies, that I couldn't save Georgina, that I was complicit in her death by my tacit agreement to withdraw all her medical support. Deeply and horribly ashamed. So much so, that these particularly shameful articles are pushed to the back of the cupboard as I simply can't bear to look at them or to think about them. Sometimes in the dead of night. But it isn't usually a good idea.

Over two years later, I look at myself in the mirror. I wonder if am simply sticking my stomach out, puffing myself up with hot air and too many biscuits. I feel as though this little belly is simply a balloon, one which will inevitably pop and leave me standing here with nothing to show for myself except damp, plastic-y bits left over from the explosion. When I tell people I'm pregnant, I blush. I wonder if they think I am taking an irresponsible risk. Or perhaps they don't remember my previous proud announcement and how . . . strangely that all turned out. Or perhaps they just think that everything will be better this time. After all, the doctors are 'keeping an eye on me', what could possibly go wrong?

I tried to buy a baby doll for Jessica for Christmas. But, when confronted by all those plastic, newborn limbs and staring eyes, I couldn't. Hot shame and bile climbed up my throat and I wanted to knock all those plastic babies, who looked so different from mine, on to the ground and jump up and down on them. Which doesn't even make any sense. Do I really want to buy Jessica a 2lb NICU baby doll for Christmas? Still they would come with a hell of a lot of accessories I suppose. I wanted to steal the chunky limbs and apparent life in the eyes of one of them and grant them to my other daughter as a Christmas gift.

An outfit catches my eye with 'Baby Alive' emblazoned on the packaging. I briefly consider the launch of an accompanying, less appealing range. Don't think there would be many takers for that one.

I still insist on trying to join conversations about pregnancy and child birth but, as I can't quite bring myself to spell out the story to those who don't already know, it comes out terribly odd. Bits and pieces emerge which must leave the listener thinking, 'Eh?' Or perhaps not, as they never ask.

I always intend to keep quiet but the words keep tumbling out. I obliquely refer to a twin pregnancy, I apologise for Jessica's poor speech and attempt an explanation, I try and shed some light on my lack of sympathy for complaints about young children and stretch-marks and disinterested husbands.

But I can't bring myself to say what happened out loud any longer. I feel too ashamed of myself.

23 comments:

  1. I don't suppose it helps to know that the only emotions people feel are horror FOR you and pity FOR you, that you've had such a terrible thing happen to you, not because you DID something.

    So hard not to feel guilt :(

    On another note, the only doll I can bear not is the Rubens Barn Baby that we sell; baby like but not dead baby like and with permanently open eyes. Big help :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you feel ashamed; that you feel the need to explain or apologise. Be gentle with yourself. It's not easy doing what you are doing (being pregnant, mothering a toddler and being a babylost mama all at. the. same. time).

    Re: dolls - perhaps consider getting (or making?) a cloth doll for Jessica. Clothkits do a couple of such dolls, but you could find something similar in lots of other places too.

    Wishing you a restful and peaceful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Catherine. I am so sorry. I have thought the same things about baby dolls, and feel quite silly but I just feel like it isn't fair. I thought the same thing too about others thoughts about me being pregnant with Joseph, our rainbow. I secretly wondered if everyone thought I was rushing hastily into another disaster. I wish there were words to make you feel better, but your words spoke so deeply into my heart and uttered thoughts I have but don't have freedom to express outwardly IRL anymore. Love to you sweet Catherine. Holding you and your new baby in my thoughts and prayers.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much to feel and walk through in all your experiences and continued journey. Sending a big ((hug)).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have NOTHING- absolutely nothing- to be ashamed of. Not. One. Thing. You are a wonderful mother; you were when you were pregnant with Georgina and Jessica. You are now. It's not your fault- not your fault- what happened. I know that isnt as easy to believe, but it is true.

    I dont know why our lives turned out such as they did... I wish I had an explanation. But, deep down, I know it is nothing we did. It's not because we are bad people or good people or any type of person in between.

    Love and hugs, dear one... So many of both...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Catherine. I'm sorry you feel like that. I'm probably a bit similar. Especially when people complain about pregnancy issues or stretch marks and the rest. I feel that somehow I was responsible for my children's deaths. That there's something wrong with my genetics, something so illusive and well-hidden, that even doctors can't find it. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt shame when Emma was born too - my body had already "failed" twice and now it had failed me absolutely and spectacularly and wholly. I still feel it. I think it will always be a nasty and invidious part of my grief. So, I understand and sympathise.

    We have one of those "Baby Alive" dolls and she is freaky. She was bought last Christmas, me hugely pregnant withh Toby, listening to the assistant witter kindly on about how nice it would be for my daughter to have her own little baby whilst I had mine and, yes, I just felt shame - what if it was the only baby alive in our house in 2010? The irony of her name hits me every time I see her glassy eyed and immobile in the crib in my daughter's room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i feel ashamed and embarrassed that my body held onto my baby for more than four weeks after it died. which is just as rational, really. i just want to scream at my insides 'couldn't you have given me SOME KIND OF WARNING?????' as well as angry with it, for letting me believe everything was ok. so i can kind of relate.

    you shouldn't feel ashamed of any of the things in your cupboard. none of them are things you chose. and you were not complicit in your daughter's death. you just weren't.

    there are three other pregnant women in work. i'm scared of talking to them. i'm not the same as them, and i'm scared they'll think i am.

    you have nothing to be ashamed of. nothing at all. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel shame too. So much shame.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your writing is amazing and your words ring so true for me as well. I wondered the same with my rainbow baby, if people thought we were being careless. I know it is very hard to grieve while caring for a little one and being pregnant again. I hope you are able to go a little bit easier on yourself and know that there is nothing you could have done any differently.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel shame, embarrassment, and guilt too.

    And the next pregnancy is hard. Just hard. Take care of yourself and the little baby.

    I haven't looked at that many baby dolls, but I have this one on my list of stuff to get Beanie as she gets older. Their whole line is cute

    http://www.amazon.com/Corolle-Premier-Calin-Yang-Doll/dp/B000HBTSF0/ref=br_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IH8AA2IDWR3UU&colid=36905IXQ7JOJQ

    Take care take care! And I hope your holidays are peaceful and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know this feeling you describe--watch while I pull two babies out my amazing hat...

    It isn't your fault but it's hard to get to a place where you can accept and internalize that fact. I'm a whole year further down a similiar-ish road and I still feel like I let everybody down.

    Here's hoping for 40 glorious weeks, a pain-free birth, and a healthy baby at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know it is easier to write that you have nothing to be ashamed of than to actually believe it. But, at the risk of seemming condescending, I only have aadmiraation for you and all the mummies who have/are walking this road.

    I liked (if that's the right word) the part about the cupboard. I have one of those too. It's chocka full of stuff no-one else will remember (I mean, how many people will recall the sixth form panto I was involved in, 16 years ago?!??). I know it's trivial compared to what you are writing about. Sorry. I guess I'm just trying to say I get it (as much as I can).

    Take care over Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I understand those feelings of shame too well. I look around and see healthy pregnancies and babies everywhere, only to wonder what it is those people who know George's story really think of me.

    People say that the shame isn't justified -and it is not, most certainly in what happened to you and your girls- but it never seems to take it away or dull it very much. Grief has so many layers. Shame must be one of the ones close to the center.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel shame, too. I feel it after hearing, repeatedly, that there was nothing I could have done for Teddy. I wanted to ask, every time someone said that, "How do you know?"

    Oh, the baby dolls - you wrote of that so well. Maybe you can get by with plush animals this holiday?

    Sending love, and keeping you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another one who feels a huge sense of shame and guilt too. It's impossible to shake isn't it, just part of me now I suppose. Of course I never think this of other angel mummies, just myself.

    The reference to the magic trick really resonated with me too, something about having twins is so special isn't it. I thought I was different, different in a good way though, not different because of what happened and losing my precious girl.

    Axx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Catherine. I want to much to tell you not to feel that shame, but I know that would be futile. Dearest, my sweet daughter died 17 months and 12 days after she left my body, and I still feel shame that I could not stop it. Even though I know no one blames me (and I know no one blames you, either for Georgina's death or Jessica's delays), I still can't shake the feeling that somewhere in the backs of their minds, people look at me and think, "She was Hudson's mommy. Why didn't she protect her?" I've said before that for us mothers, any outcome where the mother outlives the child feels like utter failure. So I know that I can't tell you not to feel this way. But I can hope for you (and for me) that as time goes on, these feelings will ebb until eventually they are no more than a quiet echo somewhere in the depths of your soul, an echo easily drowned out by joy that the future will certainly bring you. Thinking of you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hugs. I am so sorry. We already feel such guilt that our babes have passed, the shame is just the icing on the cake of grief. Its not fair and it sucks.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. (((Hugs))) It's hard not to feel these emotions when our bodies let us down. Hoping for a healthy, happy delivery with your new pregnancy and sending you much love. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say except that my heart is aching for you, and I feel that same shame that you speak of. I worry about getting pregnant again and people thinking that I am irresponsible for putting another life in danger.

    But you are not irresponsible and none of this was your fault, and you did the best that you could do. You are a truly wonderful mom, and the way that you are feeling about your pregnancy is perfectly normal. I can't imagine you feeling any other way.

    Just let yourself feel it and don't fight it. I think that just makes everything so much harder. And I don't think that you have to explain it to anyone.

    I am hoping for peace for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Catherine, I feel JUST THE SAME, its like you could have taken notes from my head as well. I dont suppose we will ever stop feeling this way. love you
    M

    ReplyDelete
  22. Catherine - I'm playing catch ups, and these are amazing posts. I love that you are so honest about these thoughts (I've felt the shame too - what will I tell people! etc) but gently question them too. We've learnt the hard way that it is impossible to keep someone alive by force of love alone - these are the limits of our human powers - we can't stop death. It is sad, but there is nothing to be ashamed about in that. But equally human to feel the shame.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, yes, unfortunately yes... I feel exactly the same. For me, the shame is one of the most difficult things to sit with.

    This post is just so spot on.

    ReplyDelete