Friday 25 February 2011

Tongue Tied

I seem to have lost my voice. Probably temporary. I'm sure I'll be jibber jabbering away again soon.

I also seem to have lost one of my daughters. Permanently. I think. Although my mind always creates a nagging doubt that this might, just might, not be the case. That I can snag her back if I could figure out how.

Those days.

Interleaved amidst my days and hours that trudge along in their mean, unflinching way.
Sometimes in glaring bursts of colour, with sound and light.
Sometimes like thin, thin tracing paper with only the merest impression on it, accompanied by silence.

Different.
But.
There they are again.

Interposed between my eyes and the things that pass before them.
In odd flashes of the extraordinary.

Sometimes unexpectedly, causing me to catch my breath.
But at other times I know that I have sought them out deliberately.
Like flicking an enlarged taste bud over the edge of my teeth or peeling at a strip of skin by my fingernail.
An irresistible urge.
Pick, pick, pick.
Jab, jab, jab.
Fiddling about with this messy stuff because I can't seem to leave it alone.
All bodily fluids and salt.

Attempting to make the ending different.
Attempting to bring you back to me.
Still.

Wishing that I could remember.
Wishing that I could stop remembering.

In my car.
In the bath tub.
In front of the computer.
At night, as I go to sleep.

That time. It never quite seems to end.
Or perhaps I simply do not want those days to let me be.
Because they are all you left behind for me to keep.
That short little stretch of time now worn to unravelling by my anxious fingers.

My dear child.
I do miss you.

11 comments:

  1. I wish we could bring our daughters back somehow too, I also feel that. There has to be a way or maybe it was a mistake.

    I went back to NICU today and I am sure that I thought in some recess of my mind that Ava would be there. Sh wasn't but so many memories came flooding back, it felt as if she was there.

    No words but much love and hugs. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing, Catherine. It's beautiful, and so are you.

    And so is the way that you love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Catherine. I am always happy to see one of your posts pop up in my google reader.

    "That time. It never quite seems to end.
    Or perhaps I simply do not want those days to let me be.
    Because they are all you left behind for me to keep.
    That short little stretch of time now worn to unravelling by my anxious fingers."

    It is like you stole the thought from my head but then made it sound so much more eloquent than I ever could.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too...
    Hugs, dear one... Many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hugs, catherine. i'm glad you have your voice back for now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs. Missing sweet Georgina with you and wishing our beautiful girls could have stayed here with us.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The way you write is so beautiful- like a sad song that I know the words to- because I've felt every syllable. I especially related to, "Perhaps I simply do not want those days to let me be."-
    Gosh that was me- and sometimes it is me still!
    Thinking of you and remembering Georgina!
    Hugs-
    L

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully said. Especially about the "time now worn to unravelling". It is so good to hear your voice. Hoping there is some lightness for you among the mean unflinching days. xxxh

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a lovely, heart-wrenching post. I've found myself coming back to it several times, reading it, and feeling it resonate.

    I keep trying to change the ending, too. I wish we could.

    Sending love

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always there, that time. for me, it's not as much as it used to be, though it depends on the day and the moment. Though I don't want to forget, either, for it's all I really have.

    ReplyDelete