Saturday 17 December 2011

Service

There are three Christmas trees arranged by the altar. The church is old and beautiful with a vaulted ceiling, crammed against a rather smart hotel and shopping district in London's Knightsbridge. The jolly red and green tags tied to the trees seem at odds with their purpose, part of me wants black paper tied to a blasted twig. But I'm obviously in the minority as the jolly trees stand up at the front. And I suppose my alternative isn't going to cheer or comfort anyone.

There are more people than I would have imagined. Although fewer than I know could have attended. There is some comfort in the democratic nature of bad luck, of tragedy. That which seemed so unfair, in this place, rights itself and shows the inherent fairness of its nature. Like blind justice. Unfeeling. The finger simply happened to point at me. At her. They'll do for our purposes. Those two. 

We are slightly early, I queue for the toilet. As ever, there is a line for the ladies. I suggest using the gents which is empty. Twas ever thus. An older lady kindly offers to keep watch on my behalf, to ensure that none of the intended users walk in on me. My friend tells me that she jovially chased a man away. So kind, so twinkly. But I know why we are here. Me. My friend. The lady who guards the toilet door for me. The man guarded against. 

We are here for the dead. To remember the dead. 

I can't help staring. I stare and stare. And sometimes the sheer volume of 'us' makes me panic. Sends my mind soaring to the roof. Because it seems impossible that one building could contain so much pain. Or so much love.

My eyes snag on certain people. A young couple. So young that I could be the mother of one of them. A young blonde girl in a bright red coat, leaning against her dark haired partner who, if I had met him on the street I'm certain I would have called a boy, but here . . here he has to be described as a man. They lean together, inward, like an upside down V. 

The lady in front of me. Her head is bowed. 

I want to ask. Who is it? Who is it that you miss? But I don't. Because, even here, where we are all the same, all missing. It seems too bold. Almost rude. 

We cry. We light candles. We emerge into the cold night air.

Suddenly everything seems full of meaning, full of significance. As though a thousand, thousand people were whispering to me, each imparting a secret, words of importance, lips pressed against my ears. But their voices are just slightly too quiet for me to hear. 

It is an overwhelming sensation. A sensation of almost being under attack. A feeling of urgency, that if only I can grasp this, all will be revealed. 

We descend to the underground. I notice the feet of the woman opposite. She has pretty feet, beautiful shoes. I look up and see her face has been scarred. She is carrying a bag with the slogan, "looking for a smile, well, look no further!"

A beautiful girl is flirting and fighting with an extremely tall, far older man. She is so light, she seems hardly to touch the ground. He is abashed and flattered. Eager. She holds all the cards.

Once, I might have wanted to be her. But now, I sit back in my seat. Content to be myself. My feet suddenly seem to be more firmly planted on the floor, denser, stronger, attached to the soil, to the worms and the dirt. Despite being in a train. I feel strangely giddy and golden, as I imagine I would on drinking a double brandy. Although I've never even had a sip. The light, beautiful girl and the burnt woman and the tree labels and the church all spin around and make a horrible, perfect sense. I feel that everything is as it should be. 

Which I might as well. I might as well feel that everything is as it should be. Perhaps this is what resignation feels like. 

***

A poem, written by H.D., loved by a long past sixteen year old me and forgotten about until I heard an extract from it on the radio last week. 

H.D. has been described as an Imagiste - writing about the image, a radiant node or cluster, from which, and through which, and into which, ideas are constantly rushing.

It is odd how this description, of a thing preternaturally dense, radiant, alive, rushing, reminds me so very much of my dead daughter. I think of her as a small set of images, superimposed upon one another, again and again, so that she becomes something so definitive, so very much herself. A super concentrated being, like a dying, collapsing star.

By comparison, my many incarnations, my comparatively long life, becomes something hopelessly fuzzy and chaotic. Because I've been so many different things. Sometimes I'm not sure that I was, or am, any of them at all.

Rose, harsh rose,
marred and with stint of petals,
meagre flower, thin,
sparse of leaf,

more precious
than a wet rose
single on a stem -
you are caught in the drift.

Marred, stint, meagre, thin, sparse. And yet precious. So precious. Dear child. 

***

And, as if this long ramble were insufficient, I'm also at Glow writing about good grief

15 comments:

  1. Right try again. Blogger just ate my comment!

    I have never been to a Christmas remembrance - I can't quite manage the conjunction of Christmas cheer and baby loss. We attend one at a less loaded time of year but I like your idea of a blasted twig and black paper. I think I could handle that.

    And your description of Georgina:

    I think of her as a small set of images, superimposed upon one another, again and again, so that she becomes something so definitive, so very much herself. A super concentrated being, like a dying, collapsing star.

    Absolutely beautiful and amazingly powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea of a good tree.


    Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an amazing experience. I hear so much about others attending memorial services of all types. I feel as though we don't have anything like that here. Maybe it is something I need to work on.. maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way u describe it makes me feel like I'm watching a movie. But sometimes it's how I feel about my own life. The sometimes comedy turned tragedy that when combined forms drama. Perpetuated by crazy and grief. I wish I was there to stare with you. I would feel compelled to do the same. Compare notes, size the room up. It would be my distraction from why I myself was there in that place. I wish I could escape from the tragedy. I wish it was someone else. But like the lady on the underground and Jackie Kennedy has found... A beautiful pair of shoes to look down at or a giant pair of stylish sunglasses help hide our grief from the world. Lovely Catherine, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm lost for words, but so grateful for yours. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. We too went to a Christmas rememberance service last Sunday. At the same church we held Joseph's funeral. I felt exactly like this: "Because it seems impossible that one building could contain so much pain. Or so much love." And also found it impossible not to look at all those others there, missing someone. Beautiful words Catherine. Such beautiful words. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you believe, John and I were supposed to be at that very same service...

    Unfortunately, we were instead tucked up at home, trying to exhale after having faced a terrifying scare with the pregnancy in hospital the night before (All is now ok).

    I wish I could have been there. There are so few opportunities for us to publicly remember our babies, and although the Christmas cheer would have jarred for me too, I longed to be there.

    "...sometimes the sheer volume of 'us' makes me panic. Sends my mind soaring to the roof. Because it seems impossible that one building could contain so much pain. Or so much love."

    I often think the very same - about this community, every time I go to a support meeting, at the Annual Service of Remembrance at the hospital...

    Beautifully put, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your writing transports me. I imagine being there, seeing the faces. The quiet in the air as people greive for their missing loved ones.

    Not a dying,collapsing star but perhaps a Brown Star. A star none the less even though smaller than the others, that stills sits in the sky twinkling with light. Still a beacon in the night.

    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been to a service like this, but it sounds really beautiful. Painfully beautiful, in fact. The fact that it's held at Christmastime seems fitting, as this time of year can be especially thorny for so many of us. Might as well acknowledge it, yes?

    Love to you.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending love to you, Catherine. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your description of Georgina as "preternaturally dense, radiant, alive, rushing". They have an intensity of meaning, these short-lived babies, not having a lifetime of years to faff around with like we do.

    I'm glad you had something like this service to go to - it has inspired me to hunt for something similar to attend here.

    Thanks again Catherine for your words. xxh

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Because it seems impossible that one building could contain so much pain. Or so much love."

    Or so much love—yes.

    It seems like it should be a place where you could ask the unasked questions, and yet, i suspect I too would have left without knowing, with my reason for being there spoken only in my own heart.

    This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish we could go to a service like this together. And remember our precious August 2008 lost baby girls.
    I am remembering Georgina this Christmas.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just sitting here nodding along. I often think of Teddy in similar ways - a super concentrated being. Oh, how I love the way you string words together.

    I'm glad you were able to see so much beauty and love in the service, and after. I'm not sure that was resignation that you felt - it sounds suspiciously like a flash of something more. Enlightenment, maybe, or peace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "We descend to the underground. I notice the feet of the woman opposite. She has pretty feet, pretty shoes. I look up and see her face has been scarred. She is carrying a bag with the slogan, "looking for a smile? well, look no further!"

    Holy smokes. Cannot stop thinking about that. And this:

    "A beautiful girl is flirting and fighting with an extremely tall, far older man. She is so light, she seems hardly to touch the ground. He is abashed and flattered. Eager. She holds all the cards."

    It felt like being there, really there.

    I wish I could have attended with you. I need a service, too.

    Love this, Erica - "I'm not sure that was resignation that you felt - it sounds suspiciously like a flash of something more. Enlightenment, maybe, or peace."

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete