Saturday 8 September 2012

I Always Stay Too Long

It's been unseasonably warm here. I take the children out to the front of our house, to the pavilion where I once imagined twin girls running, where I once watched my little ghost jump up and down.

Jessica find the remnants of a puddle and splashes in it. Reuben tries to join her but is gently rebuked and directed to a 'baby' puddle. Not even a puddle. Just a darker, damp patch on the tarmac. An echo of moisture. He stamps hopefully but no spray comes up.

I sit in the shelter of the pavilion. It's been ruined now. As most things left outside and unattended in suburban England inevitably are. The glass smashed, the wood splintered. I won't draw the parallels because you don't need me to do so. But it was, once, quite nice. Green and glossy. Back in 2007.

I find a snail. I like snails. With their one large foot and their cautious peering eyes. I pick him up. Thinking to move him away as it is getting hot and he would probably be better off away from the path and under a bush. As I lift him, I notice he is dead. That his soft, slow body has slowed off to a permanent halt.

As I lift him higher, I notice that somebody has put a cigarette out in him. I suspect that this is probably why he is dead.

I pick him up and put him under the bushes anyway. Poor little soul, I think to myself. There is fellow feeling here. I see you. Mr. Snail. There you were, swooshing along, minding your own business. When somebody picked you up and decided to put out a cigarette on you. I'm so sorry. I don't know why that would happen. Life is so very odd and cruel. And I sigh and I find that I'm crying.

'It's ok,' he replies. From beyond this vale of tears. 'Sometimes life just works out this way. I had fun swooshing along in my snail-y way. It was a good life here. There were green plants and rain and other snails. But now I'm dead. And it's ok. Don't cry.'

I wonder how it came to this. That I am having internal conversations with a dead snail. And that I have a strange sense of camaraderie with my new, presumably murdered, friend. That I feel closer to a snail, with a cigarette end embedded in his body, than to my neighbours walking over just there. Who wave and say hello.

"Hello, lovely day isn't it?" I reply.

I wonder how they can possibly fail to notice that I am speaking to them from the bottom of a well. Inhabited only by me and a dead snail, curled around an extinguished cigarette butt.

***

I take Reuben for a walk in his buggy this morning. The sun is so warm. Every cell, every atom, every space between the atoms that compose the blob that is me seem to lean towards it. To the extent that I'm vaguely astonished to find that I'm still walking along upright. Not leaning at some unlikely angle to the pavement.

What a strange, strange chance. To be alive. To have a skin to feel the sun upon.

What a mystery. The mystery. Why me? Why not her?
Behold, I tell you a mystery.
Or maybe I won't. Who knows. It's all smoke and mirrors from here on in.

'It's ok child,' the sun winks at me. 'It's ok little ant-child. You aren't built to understand all this with your small pathetic brain. Don't worry. Just feel the warmth on your skin. It's only going to last so long anyway.'

***

So I'm here. Years on. Feeling that I have stayed too long. Even here. In this place where everyone is sad and battling to understand.

Years on, where I am talking to snails and to the sun. Feeling out of kilter with it all. Perhaps that is just where I am meant to remain. Out of season. With no response.

That I will endure until I no longer have to. But I'm tired. Tired of missing her and tired of trying to make some sort of sense of afterwards.

Sometimes I miss the sort of life this song is about. Although it's not of my generation. I've certainly never danced to it anyway. Too old. But nights out, perhaps especially English nights out, don't change that much over the decades. Although it's been a long time since I was in attendance. In those strange little social clubs and odd places you end up in. If you're in the habit of staying too long. As I certainly was.

But I'd just like to care less, to drink myself into oblivion, to just stop feeling and analysing and trying to make everything make some kind of sense. And this song reminds me of when I lived in London and was eighteen and wasn't friends with a dead snail.

Please take me back there. Just for a night. Please.

Warning - Like an English night out this song contains a lot of alcohol and offensive language. And it has one of those annoying advert things at the beginning. 


11 comments:

  1. Dear Catheine,

    I read your words, and selfishly think, "I hope she's not cuing herself to leave...?"

    I so enjoy your space here. And I love reading your responses throughout the community.

    I understand you and the snail. If it helps to know... I feel I understand.


    If one day I no longer read your words, I will miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Catherine, I'm so sorry. Sorry for the pain and the loss. I understand the tired. Years and years of trying, of carrying on, of pretending to be O.K. and trying to live up to that image. And here you are, still, again, drowning in pain. Talking to dead snails, because it helps and he's something you understand.

    There is a rhythm to this grief Catherine. There is the intense pain, the learning to deal with the pain, and there are good days, days that grow into good weeks and good months. You never bounce back from these times of being swamped, but you do climb out of them again. Slowly, not very surely, maybe not as steadily as you think you should, but you do climb out. The ways you have managed in the past, the new survival skills you have learned, build on each other. Even, or mostly, when you aren't watching or aware. The times of pain become shorter, the learning gets easier.

    Those rare times of peace and happiness and rest are not all gone. You do not have to build from scratch now, nor climb an unbroken path. Some parts already have been smoothed, a little bit. You just can't see it or really believe it yet, from where you stand.

    Sending love, to you, your family and the snail.

    Jill A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so afraid of this forever missing and knowing it will never end... the missing them will never go away.

    Your words "Please take me back there. Just for a night. Please." remind me of a beautiful song by Missy Higgins (an Australian singer) that I listen to alot with the lyric "If things get real for me down here, promise to take me to before you went away – if only for a day.” That is the most poignant line that just sticks with me... how it would be like to just go back to that time before I knew this heartache.

    xx Di

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRX3k_im5I8&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I feel the exhaustion of it all in your every word Catherine. Carrying it with us each and every day takes so much energy. You can do it, we both can and we will just keep on. I promise to try to hold you up whenever you need me to, you just let me know. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you read my last post, so you know I am not too far off from talking to dead snails either. And there is a song on the radio right now that brings vividly back to me the memory of being 22 and having nothing bigger to worry about than how I would pay for another beer. I very much understand wanting to go back for one night. I'm sorry you're feeling so tired - I wish I could help somehow; give you a hug, have a cup of tea, a long chat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I wonder how it came to this. That I am having internal conversations with a dead snail. And that I have a strange sense of camaraderie with my new, presumably murdered, friend. That I feel closer to a snail, with a cigarette butt embedded in his body, than to my neighbours walking over just there. Who wave and say hello. "Hello, lovely day isn't it?" I reply. I wonder how they can possibly fail to notice that I am speaking to them from the bottom of a well. Inhabited only by me and a dead snail, curled around an extinguished cigarette butt."

    My goodness this is just how it is. You, me, a well, cigarette butts, dead snails. I'm right there with you, beautiful Catherine. Four years on and nothing has changed yet everything has at the same time.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a genius post. As always, it's horrible that you have to feel or think any of this but, man are you articulate! And the snail part is just so spot on.

    I think this sometimes--why am I still blogging or talking about this at all? Hasn't it all been said by now? On the other hand, they are gone forever. R, Georgina, all the others...gone. Will we ever be finished remembering them and missing them and feeling somewhat dislocated in a world where our children die and we mysteriously keep breathing? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The world is a cruel, sometimes very ugly, place. But your observations and sensitivity to the vulnerability of all creatures is beautiful. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found myself in that funny place between tears and laughter reading this post (I hope that doesn't come across as insensitive)... It's just this:

    "I wonder how it came to this. That I am having internal conversations with a dead snail"

    That really tickled me - I guess because I just totally get it.

    But then the sadness, your weariness is palpable. Always searching for answers that will never come. Sometimes I think our is one of the missing rings from Dante's Inferno - forever destined to search, and question, and try to understand that which cannot be understood.

    ps. Once I get my time machine working, I'll take us all back for one crazy, reckless night out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aofie - not insensitive at all. That funny place is where I live now. Life is so sad and absurd, confusing and amazing.

      Delete
  10. I get this, I really do. And like Tracey, I sometimes feel like, "well, what else can I say that hasn't been said?" and I guess judging by the frequency of my blog posts, I put this idea into practice.

    I truly enjoy reading what you write, because you just get it, and write it so perfectly. Thank you for this.
    xo

    ReplyDelete