Tuesday 17 November 2009

Inertia

I feel as though I have ground to a halt. Whatever pale fumes I was running on up to this point seem to have been exhausted and, with a splutter and a cough, I've simply stopped.
I think I was relying so heavily on a new pregnancy to push me forward, to give me an impetus. I don't have a back-up plan. Or even the beginnings of one.
Stasis. Too frightened to try again. Too frightened not to try again.
Losing faith in the notion that my body can ever, ever do this terrible and amazing thing, the one thing it was designed to do.

Sometimes, as I sit in front of my computer at work, I can almost feel the words rising in my throat. Forming a palpable clot in my mouth. The word 'Georgina' seems to have grown edges, manifested itself as a physical presence lodged between my jaws. An aching tooth, an inflamed taste bud, that I sit and prod at for hours at a time.

Calculate, calculate, type, type, mail, phone, prod, prod. Georgina, Georgina, Georgina.
I go and sit on the bench I sat on to eat my lunch when I was pregnant, prod, prod, Georgina, Georgina.

She was here. In this office. In the grim multi-storey car park where I park my car. On the street, past the Job Centre. She lived. She existed. In these unlikely places.

I even sit and think about her in the office toilets. I spent a lot of time there whilst I was pregnant as I was so sick. Sometimes I just go and lock myself in a cubicle and sit. Try to conjure her up. Prod.

I am so desperate to talk about her. To talk about the whole experience.
But there is nobody in the office to talk to. Or even to talk at. I'm not fussy.

All those mundane conversations about children, birth, babies, families.
They all feel closed off to me.
Marked with a 'do not enter' sign.

No freaky low birth weight children in this conversation please.
Not to mention the dead child. Please leave your dead children at the door.
We are discussing childbirth with K here. She has just had a normal, healthy baby boy. K here knows what we are talking about. This little boy has suffered the trauma of having an NG tube inserted for two whole days. This conversation is falling oddly silent because it is not for you C. Why are you trying to join in? Your surviving child simply fell from the sky into an incubator don't you know.
We are trying to have an enjoyable chat about J's pregnancy, which is obviously well into the third trimester, and we do not appreciate you, C, hovering around the edges of the staff kitchen like a bird of ill omen.

Hell, part of me feels that I will curse poor J if I hang around her too much.
My eyes snag on her all the time though. She must surely see my surreptitious glances at her belly, my desperate wish that it was me, that it was my girls.

I'm sure that nobody actually thinks of me as bad luck. Well, not consciously perhaps.
I'm sure most people aren't avoiding me. I'm probably just being paranoid and more than a little bitter. Or remembering relationships that were always professional in the past illuminated with the warm glow of the excitement of pregnancy. It's twins! Really?

I'm sure most people have forgotten. Perhaps forgotten that I have even been on maternity leave.
Some people just aren't interested in the exterior lives of their work colleagues. I certainly can't pretend to know the inner workings of many of mine, the hidden tragedies or triumphs of their lives, the secrets they walk around holding pressed close to their souls. An office environment isn't conducive to such exchanges.

I'm sure I have inadvertently hurt many of them. Just as they now hurt me. What goes around, comes around.

Couldn't tell you if N was married.
Couldn't say for the life of them whether O had children or not.
And C? C? Has she any children? Was she pregnant at one point? Didn't something go awry there?
Or maybe not even that. C. I need some figures and I need them now. I'll ask C. She knows about that sort of thing.

And as ever. I would prefer it that way. Except when I don't.


But sometimes, in the midst of all this, I find a breathing space. I find someone who, despite my blathering and trying to laugh and pretending and keeping it together and make-up application and work identity badge carrying and calculation performing and functional functioning, hears me.
Hears what I am actually saying.
Sees that brief glimpse of my interior before the blinds flicker downwards and the truth is covered up.

Who knows that, underneath all my words, even the most stupid and mundane things I say (and I say more stupid and mundane things than most believe me) is that experience. The end of August 2008.
My two tiny, tiny children.
My Georgina, so briefly alive and now dead.
My Jessica, so small and frail, grown so healthy and alert.
All my words resonate with them. With my children. Because they are at my foundation, at my roots.
I can't see the world at all anymore, except refracted through them.

And in that moment. In that presence. If that presence is in a letter or via computer wires or in person.
I can lay that stone that usually resides in my mouth on the table. I might not be discussing it directly, although I can harp on upon the subject of the birth of my children for hours, but it is there. It is acknowledged and I don't have to smash my teeth to pieces on it every time I try to speak. And for these brief pauses I am so very grateful.

I've been thinking about this beautiful post of Kate's at Glow In The Woods.

I trust Kate. I've never met her but I would trust her to the ends of this earth.
I know that, one day in the possibly not too distant future, I will have my very own 'one day at suppertime' moment. When the room will spin and I will think 'I haven't thought of it today', I sat and calculated and calculated and mailed and called and filed and cleaned and cooked and ate and drank and played with Jessica and kissed my husband goodnight. All day and I didn't think of it. Not once.
But that day is not today. Not yet.

My letting go is only very tentative.
But Georgina. One day. One day I will say 'have-a-safe-journey, wear-your-mittens, don't-forget-to-eat-a-good-snack' my darling. Last touch, my sweet girl. Last touch.

But not today. Not yet.

23 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Catherine, so beautiful. Any words would pale in comparison to yours, but know that I'm thinking of you, walking with you down the path to a suppertime moment that seems far away but that I know will come for us both. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was beautifully written, catherine. it makes me so sad that you have to bite back your daughters' names. that we live in a world where we can't speak the names of children we love just because they are gone. it, well, sucks. in the meantime lots of us are here to listen.

    as for letting go, yes. i feel the same way about kate's post. for me, it is just not time yet. i think that's okay. i think we don't need to feel rushed. take all your time. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual I wish I had something helpful to say to make all of this better or easier for you. It's just such a long, hard slog.

    I'm thinking of you and hoping you find your way. My window at work faces east. I'll raise my AM coffee to you and hope that some good energy flows from my office to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I can't see the world at all anymore, except refracted through them." Yes, yes, yes!

    I understand too about office chatter. People have forgotten that I was ever pregnant, and no one wants to hear about a boy who was missing too many organs to live.

    Not today, but someday, little by little.

    Thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No,
    not yet.
    Wishing I could do or say something....
    anything.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post Catherine. This part : "I can't see the world at all anymore, except refracted through them." really reflects my feelings. Every thought, every word is filtered through my girls. I am so different now because of them and this experience. To me it is a scary thought to realize one day I have not thought of it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...perhaps some day but then someone will talk about another Georgina or talk about another baby who grew wings and you will ache for Georgina just like you do today...Georgina's mom, I know you will.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feeling for you, Catherine. Wishing you strength through these up and down times and sending you love. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. gosh catherine. you write so beautifully. we went back to work at the same time.. it's amazing how your feelings mirror mine so much. thanks for writing them down for me. my last post was just a bunch of spit. not beautiful like yours. PTOOUY! spit on my computer screen. yuck. i should have left my dead baby at the door too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't really add anything here that hasn't already been said. Just know that I am thinking of you and your girls over here and wishing things were different.

    Sending love...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catherine, you always write so beautifully. You put down in words what I wish I could.
    The office chatter sounds like playground chatter. Everything you say is how it is in the playground.
    I stand a good distance from the pregnant Mama's incase I contaminate them with my dead baby.
    I know I'm new around here,but please know I think of you and your beautiful girls often.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you know, I work with people, colleagues, who never even said "sorry" when Kees died. Now Jet has gone too, and they still haven't said sorry. They haven't sent a card, or an email, or anything. How am I supposed to work with those people, be surrounded by those people, those people don't even acknowledge the births and deaths of my children?
    ((hugs)) to you Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always such beautiful, painful, heartfelt words. I wish I had anything so beautiful to offer in return. Just what we all, here, have to offer: empathy and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think people in my life either don't remember, or if and when they do remember - they think I'm contagious. Bad luck. Something. And yes, I do believe this. Because I believe that their reaction to me is selfish - to spare them the thoughts, not me.

    Ah, well. It's just sad, that's all. Surrounded by people who add insult to injury in such a time. I, like you, am thankful for the rare moments and people who allow us to not hold back and bite our tongues. For me, it's not many IRL. But I'm thankful and all the others "here" who allow me to do so :)


    ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  15. love you Catherine.

    the day is not here yet for me either. I can't let go yet.

    I have stayed away from some pregnant people for fear of something bad rubbing off on them...
    I am sad people are so cruel to you at work. I'd stand and have a natter any day about our babes over morning coffee....albeit a virtual one for now.

    much love xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Letting go is so very hard. Thinking of you and sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your writing is so elegant. It's a wonder to me that you are also an analytic, statistics-loving type:).

    I can relate to virtually everything you've illustrated, with slight variation. In the first 2 years, the almost constant ache to say B.W.'s name, to remember him aloud, was sometimes unbearable. I find those days are fewer now. First, because my heart has learned that I must bear this weight on my own. And second, because the devastation of his death has been weaved in more comfortably with the beauty of his existence.

    The conversations you refer to - I don't think those will ever be a place I will be welcomed to or will feel comfortable in. I am so sorry these instances bring such pain. I can absolutely relate.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think you have to let go. Maybe you loosen your grip a little. You let go of the fantasies or the wonderings about how things might be different. But you don't have to let go of Georgina in order to live fully and happily again. At least, I don't believe you do.

    The only recipe for healing that I know is time. And there is no rule for how much time is the right amount of time. And the truth is, there is no final endpoint anyway. Six years later, I do very well with the memory of my little ones who didn't get to stay with me. I can hold my love for them in one hand and my gratitude for the life I have in the other, and not fight either one anymore. But that doesn't mean there aren't moments...

    Today is not the day. That's okay. You can't force any of this. Just let it be... give yourself lots of time, and be very, very kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. No... Not today...

    Sending you a package in the post, to make you smile. Nothing major, just a thinking-of-you. Not sure how long it will take to get from this side of the world to yours but hopefully no more than a week or two.

    I often felt like I would "curse" the other mothers I ran into at work; what was worse was when it felt like they were avoiding me. Maybe they were. I cant say that they were of course, but it felt that way to me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely and beautiful, as always, Catherine.
    There are days too, when I stop, calculate, and ask, Is today the day?

    Holding you in my heart. xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a gorgeous post. I think of your girls all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't know how I missed this post earlier on my reader. Catherine, it is so beautifully and heartbreakingly written. I don't think that someday will ever come. I don't think the sun will rise and set without you thinking of your Georgina, or me of my Peyton, and more than I think you could wake and forget you had fingers, or a heart, or hair. She was a part of you. She is a part of you. I cannot pretend to know what you are going through at work. I haven't had the strength to return. I can only pray for you, for peace at work, for understanding among your peers. I too feel contagious at times, like people are shunning me and my bad luck, and I too feel left out of conversations about babies... it's like "well you had a baby, but she is gone so that doesn't count". I can only imagine how hard it must be to have to walk where you carried her, sit where you carried her. I can only imagine, my friend, and in doing so, breath a heavy breath and sigh for you.

    ReplyDelete