Sunday 8 November 2009

Teeter totter

I had a D&C last week as the pregnancy did not miscarry naturally. I was strange being in hospital again. Not pleasant but not as unbearable as I thought it might have been.

It was actually quite an interesting experience being admitted to the EPAU. It was a fine line as to whether they would admit me at all or not as the usual criteria involves 'recurrent' miscarriages. My GP views my pregnancy with the twins as a miscarriage as it ended so early. However, the EPAU considers my pregnancy with Jessica and Georgina a 'successful' one. And it was. I suppose I've become so used to thinking of that pregnancy as a 'failure', that my body let my girls down, that I'd almost forgotten that it was the pregnancy (my one and only) that resulted in my two daughters. How could I possibly consider that experience a failure when it resulted in Jessica who is still with me today and my darling Georgina who I got to hold and meet? It was actually good to see my previous pregnancy recast in a different light.

This brief pregnancy was very different. No living child, no body to hold, no baby to be seen, no scan pictures. Things never progressed that far. Nothing. Not as crushing yet somehow more crushing at the same time.

I always seemed to be in two minds about this pregnancy. On the one hand, I felt as though I was 'owed' a normal pregnancy. That if I managed to fall pregnant, I was almost guaranteed a full-term, healthy baby. Despite the fact that I know that the world does not work this way and, given my line of work, I should have some appreciation of independent events.

But on the other hand, I was (and still am) worried that there might be some underlying reason why I cannot carry a pregnancy to term. My memories of my pregnancy with the twins are so blurred. I felt as though I was going to throw up every single waking moment and I was so tired, it all seems so impossible now. I never really felt the girls move because they were so small still, I also had two anterior placentas that might have made perceiving their movements even more difficult. It all seems so very unlikely, that I was ever pregnant. Pregnant? With Jessica? That she actually had anything to do with my body and wasn't created in a hospital by doctors? Really?

Perhaps I am trying and trying to do something that is simply not a possibility for me and, in the process, I will wreck everything I hold dear. The conclusion at the hospital was 'bad luck' but still . . .

Whilst I am sad that this pregnancy did not progress beyond a few weeks, it made me appreciate what I have, how lucky I am to have a child.

So strange, this terminology that is used to describe pregnancy. When the EPAU contacted me they told me that the pregnancy was 'failing', they then double checked that I understood this to mean I was miscarrying. How strange. That one little word, failure, cut me right to the quick. Nobody likes to fail and it seems bizarre that something that is so far beyond our control should be termed as a failure. Failure seems to imply neglect or carelessness.

I know that, when Georgina died, I thought it was my fault. I felt that way for a very long time. I still blame myself to some extent. I raked over everything I had done or neglected to do over the course of my brief pregnancy. I wondered about make-up and bath oil and depilatory cream and deodorant and the caffeinated coca cola I drank once by mistake and whether I had been too fond of alcohol or chocolate or work prior to falling pregnant. Whether I was too fat or too thin or too young or too old. Too smug. Too happy. Too lucky. Too unlucky. Whether I was an awful person, a person who would be a terrible mother. Whether it was a punishment. I'm still not entirely sure it wasn't. Just a feeling that I can't quite shake off.

It took me a long time to stop hating myself for killing Georgina. I felt as though I had killed her twice over, once by birthing her and once in the NICU when I stood by and watched her die. I still hate myself from time to time, I suspect I always will. Sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night.

I feel a touch of that old self recrimination about the failure of this latest pregnancy. But not as sharply. Just bitter, bitter disappointment for the main part. And regret. Regret that I told my husband and my sister and my parents. And then had to tell them all over again. Not to expect the child or the grandchild or the niece or nephew. To take the gold star off the calendar that my mom had stuck on with so much glee.

But still. I am so pleased and proud of Jessica that I can't stop this bubble of excitement building up in my stomach and pushing my hopes higher and higher.

I hesitate to post too much about Jessica on this blog. Mainly for fear of jinxing myself. Which is silly but it is hard not to be superstitious about life when you are in the midst of it as it were?

But she is doing better than anyone ever suspected that she would. Apart from her ICU consultant who always told me that she would be 'a normal little girl'. How he knew this, I just don't know. None of the other consultants seemed to agree at the time.

She is doing things that I feared she never would. She is standing, she is starting to walk, she is communicating, she is smiling, she is eating like a champ, she is breathing on her own, she knows who I am, she knows who her daddy is, she wants to join in with everything, she loves other children. I can't help but feel my heart sing when I watch her.

Sometimes I get a little glimmer that she is different. She isn't a big child, or a developmentally advanced child, for her age. But she is amazing. When I look at her arms and legs and think of the twigs they once were. When I look at her breathing, on her own, and think of the machinery it used to take. I can hardly believe it and I was there. I saw her change in front of me.

The other day, when we were at an activity group I take her to, a little boy fell off the slide and landed right on top of Jessica. Now, this little lad was a fair bit chunkier than Jessica and he landed with quite a splat. He cried his eyes out. She just carried on. This little lad's mum was almost embarrassed by her son's roaring as Jessica ploughed ahead regardless.

It made me proud and it made me sad. Premature babies often have high pain thresholds apparently. I've often wondered whether this might be true as Jessica rarely cries. Sometimes she attacks her food with such ferocity I can only assume she must have been starving but you will never hear a peep from her. My poor girl, so beaten down by her early life that she can ignore these later pains.

I don't know where I am going with this post really. I seem to judder back and forth between elation and upset. I still want another baby. Greedyguts that I am.

My mum's theory is that I fall pregnant easily and, therefore, I will miscarry easily.
Easy come, easy go?
Except that the going isn't easy. Not really.

35 comments:

  1. You had two miracles, one grew wings and the other stayed on to create more miracles in your life. Your little Jessica is just as wonderful and as amazing as Georgina. You love them both...I get what you are saying. Hugssssss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a bit behind on my blog reading, and I am sorry to hear that you miscarried this pregnancy. I too had to have a d&c for a miscarraige last fall - it is a strange thing- a surgery you don't remember, no blood more than a period, and the baby is gone. So strange compared to my stillbirth, or to holding and seeing Georgina.

    Like you said, that early miscarriage was very different for me, and instills a different kind of fear.

    It is interesting to me that Jessica seems to have a high pain threshold. She has been through so much in life already. I guess it will take extra attention on your part to make sure she is not injured and to keep her posture good. (I have a high pain threshold due to chronic pain that I think helped me to have baaaad posture - i assume others would be in pain in the positions I am in)

    take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about Jessica, and I so thrilled that she is thriving.

    I really hate pregnancy terminology too, my particular bugbear is the phrase 'poor obstetric history'.

    I'm just hoping with all my heart that you have another pregnancy that ends with a living baby every bit as beautiful as both of your daughters.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to read about your miscarriage. My heart is broken to read this.
    Early miscarriages are very emotional and of course you are not greedy for wanting to have another child and healthy pregnancy.

    Yes, Jessica is special in many beautiful ways. She is a warrior and will continue to be throughout her life.

    Thinking of you Catherine and sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No it's not, is it? Every time I became pregnant, I fell in love with the possibility of who my child would become. I fell in love with the hope and the miracle of life growing inside me. The losses were devastating to me, not only to lose the child but to lose the hopes and dreams for our family. I also struggled for a long time feeling as if I were a failure, that my body couldn't even do a basic human function by reproducing. I'm learning to get over that too. I know what happened to my babies were not my fault, that my body carried antibodies that attacked my babies and that until I was diagnosed, there was nothing that would change that. I only wish my diagnosis would have come sooner, before all the heartbreak of recurrent loss. You are so very right to rejoice in Jessica Catherine. She is a miracle, not only because she survived extreme prematurity but because she is your child and she is unique. There is no one in the world exactly like her and there never will be. That in itself is reason to celebrate her life. Hugging you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd n ot heard about the pain threshold thing before. Makes a lot of sense. So sad though that they think that continues on as they grow.

    Jessica sounds like a tough little cookie! I'm glad it wasn't my chunky monkey son that fell on her!

    So sorry about your miscarriage and having to go to the hospital.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also carry a lot of guilt, wondering if I did something to cause Lachlan to die. Was it the time I swallowed a mouthful of chlorinated water in the pool? The anti-nausea medicine? The walking around when I was in pain? The time I had a fever for a night? Not eating enough? Eating too much? Doing the taxes until 2am? Driving too much? The list goes on and on. It's so hard not to beat yourself up about it. I also worry about never being able to carry a healthy pregnancy. I hope it happens for us both soon in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're not a greedy guts, far from it.
    I saw on my obstetric notes today "poor obstetric history" and it destroyed me. I have a fantastic obstetric history, the hospital just have a poor track record of getting my children out alive.
    I get you Catherine. And I want you to know I LOVED reading about Jessica here today. She sounds so precious. More pics of her pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both your girls are extra special...both miracles babies. One grew angel wings and the other stayed behind so you could experience the miracle that she is over your life time. Hugsssss

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear you, Catherine. I also wonder if my losses are connected - and I also work in a field where I should know something about independent events and correlation isn't causation and all that - and sometimes I hate my body for killing my babies. Even though midwives and doctors have assured me there was probably nothing I could have done to prevent either loss, I go over and over everything I did, too. So, a long-winded way of saying yes, me too, you're not alone. Miscarriage is hard - different from the experience of holding a dead baby in your arms, certainly, but still very sad. And actually, one of the hardest things for me with my loss at 13 weeks was not being able to see the baby. I'm glad Jessica is doing so well - and she sounds like such a sweetie.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh. This post was tough to read. TO be in your shoes, to see what you saw, felt what you felt, lost what you lost. Its breath taking. I often find myself wondering if my Logan was taken because I wasn't content with my daughter. As if the "lesson" there was to appreciate what I have and not always to want for more. I didn't work. Now I'm just a phsycho mom who wants another baby. It truly is an amazing story, the journey of Jessica's life. I'm so sorry you lost yet another baby. No, easy come is not an easy go. No matter how early...no matter how many times. Never easy. I wish you more children that you know what to do with, and all of them living with the spirit of Georgina and the umph of Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "My mum's theory is that I fall pregnant easily and, therefore, I will miscarry easily."

    that is a scary thought!

    im so sorry catherine. you've been through so much. dont you wish would could all be such a trooper like sweet little jessica. she is strong and she doesnt even know it. what a precious baby girl. i wish you had georgina trooping and trucking along beside her. but in a way, though not the way we want, im sure she actually is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry about this latest loss. I'm glad that the hospital didn't torture you too badly.
    I actually have wondered about Jessica, and I'm glad to hear about her. I can feel your love for her through your words.
    As you know, I too feel like I killed my child. I think there will always be a part of me that feels it was punishment as well. I used to be a very bad little girl.

    You rest up. Have some tea and chocolate. You have my e-mail if you'd like to talk...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. sigh, I lost a baby in January. And yet still I can be so at a loss for words. I don't know how to make you feel better. But it just downright isn't fair is it. I hope someday you do hold a new baby in your arms, a brand new healthy full term utterly normal one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Catherine

    When will all the s*** ever stop happening? I men, really, how many more storms are there to weather?
    I'm sorry, angry, sad you have to go through the d&c. But don't, please don't doubt yourself. You are wonderful, kind, good, it is not your fault.

    jessica is a beautiful little girl.

    So I'll just send you a big, big hug and wipe away the tears.

    lot's of love
    Ines

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Catherine... I'm crying my eyes out right now... This is so not right. It's just not right. I am behind in reading and was going to comment at the end and, as I was preparing for one I have this one instead... It breaks my heart. I wanted this to be different...

    Your pregnancy with Georgina and Jessica was a success. I felt such rage when you said that your OB considered their births a miscarriage- that's not right. Not one bit.

    I am sending huge prayers your way and lots of warm thoughts... I know you are in agony. I am sorry. Just so very sorry. Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's so lovely to hear how great Jessica is doing.
    I don't think you are a greedy guts at all.
    Be gentle on yourself, you deserve it. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for sharing that little glimpse of Jessica, it absolutely made my heart smile.

    And I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hate it that you have to cope with multiple kinds of guilt and worry all at once. I keep looking back, too, wondering what I might've done wrong.

    It's lovely to hear that Jessica is doing so well.

    Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love to hear about Jessica and it's good to hear how well she's doing.

    I just wanted to wish you gentle healing from the D&C ... and to say, it definitely isn't "easy ome, easy go". Saying goodbye to a beloved child, at any gestation, is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm the Brittanie that Jenny mentioned on her blog for Genevieve.


    I remember telling my mother once, "Everyone says it's so easy, Mom. People who don't want babies have them ALL THE TIME. I wanted one so badly, and was so good, how could I fail so miserably?" I still feel guilty for "failing" Cora.

    It's not a punishment, thought I sometimes have to repeat that to my self over and over again until I believe it again.

    I'm so sorry that you have lost another sweet little one. I don't think that your mom's theory has any merit.

    And you're not greedy for wanting another. I hope you when you get pregnant again it goes all the way to term and you bring a chunky baby home!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I, too, love hearing about Jessica. Maybe it's twisted, but I dream that it's my Aiden or my Sophie. Probably that is twisted. When/if you feel like you want to, I think we love to hear :)
    I am so sad and feel so horrible about the miscarriage and D&C. I don't really know what else to say except that it's not fair.
    That guilt. That guilt is so hard. Did you read the new post at Glow? It sort of shook me. Shook me into thinking-why do I think it actually has anything to do with me?
    I know, lots of dift perspectives, but something to think about.
    Hugs to you. Thinking of you always
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  23. today i did not cry when reading about when you said goodbye to georgina. today i cried when i read about how amazing jessica is. she really, really is! your "voice" when you write about her is just shimmering, like bright sun on water.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope you recover soon physically from the D&C, Catherine. I'm sorry for all the guilt and self-blame that we mums seem to heap on ourselves. You are such a loving mum and deserve as many babies as you long to have in your life. Thinking of your Georgina and loving reading about your Jessica. She is a miracle girl. My husband was a premie by 10 weeks and his Brit parents were in Malaysia - they didn't think he'd make it because the incubator wasn't even fully functional. But he did. He was a scrawny little chicken of three pounds and now he's a huge man of well over 6 feet. I think likewise your Jessica someday will be a delightful young woman whose friends will *never* believe she was so premature. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so sorry... :( This journey has so much suckage along the way, it makes me want to scream.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love hearing about Jessica too. In fact I would love more pictures. I think its because through Jessica, I get a glimpse of what Isla might have been like if only the decision to deliver her had been made earlier. I realize there is a real possibility she would not have made it anyway, or with the lack of oxygen in utero she may have been severely brain damaged (which is what my doctor tries to convince me of I think to alleviate some of her own guilt). But, in my mind, I like to think of Isla like Jessica - a little fighter, tiny and feminine with a perfect button nose and capable of out eating and bearing the weight of even the chunkiest of baby boys!

    I'm so sorry you have had another loss. My experience with an early miscarriage came before losing Isla, so maybe that made it easier, but it was still difficult to bear. I can relate much to well to the feelings of failure and questioning whether I will ever be able to do this pregnancy thing right.

    I don't like your mom's theory on easy come, easy go. (Knock on wood) I fall pregnant very easily too, and I like to cling to that as proof (or at least hope) that my body is capable of carrying a healthy baby to term.

    Thinking of you.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think it is wonderful that your little Jessica is exceeding most of the drs expectations! What a fighter you have! I know what you mean about the guilt. I too feel guilty for so many things with my girls. I wish I knew that what I know now. Thinking of you and your beautiful girls. And please don't give up on giving you girls a little sibling to love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am so proud of your little Jessica. I hope that one day she travels round the world and that I get to meet her. Till then, I'd love some photos.
    And this post was heartbreaking Catherine. If wishing made it "not so" that is what I would be doing for you. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Catherine,
    I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you, hoping you're finding moments of peace these days.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for your kind comment on my blog. I'm new to this and just started following your story.

    I am sorry to learn of your recent miscarriage and my heart goes out to you also for the loss of your daughter.

    All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Catherine,

    Just another note to send you love and peace. Please know I'm holding you in my heart and trying to carry some of your pain to ease your load a bit.

    Peace, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Go, Jessica! :-) She's going to rock the world.
    I am so sorry about the D&C. Healing vibes to you, and no, the going is not easy, how can it be? xo

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm so sorry...

    Wanting another baby doesn't make you greedy. Although, I understand that feeling. I've been there. But I think that wanting another baby after having lost a baby(ies) is about one of the bravest, most hopeful acts of will we could choose. It is to believe in life and love and the possibility that loss and grief does not have to have the last word.

    I am so glad Jessica is doing so well. And I do pray she gets another brother or sister soon.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm so sorry, Catherine. Your body did carry your beautiful daughters - and they are nothing short of miracles, both of them. I'm sorry you have another loss to bear. My heart screams that you deserve another living child, if that is what you desire!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for your encouraging post on my blog. I am now following your story.

    I am so sorry for your recent miscarriage, and my heart breaks for loss of Georgina.

    I look forward to reading more about your little sunshine Jessica.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete