Wednesday 4 November 2009

Letting go

Even after over a year of trying, I am still not good at letting go.

At accepting Georgina's death.
At accepting that I did not cause it, that I could not have prevented it, that I could not have saved her from pain or from death.

There is nothing to be gained from clutching at this thin little memory of my tiny daughter, worn insubstantial from months and months of my hands worrying at it, turning it over and over, round and round, holding it up to the light to see if I can see something new there.

At risk of this turning into some kind of meta blog, where all I ever post is 'what she said' and link to another blog which is written better than this one, I've been thinking and thinking about this post of Jill's at Only A Whisper for months now.

As Roald Dahl said '"I've seen one of my children die. It's easy, anyone can do that. I'm ready."

I saw my daughter die.
I watched her take her last breath.
I don't think it was physically easy for her, the process of dying.
It was painful and difficult.
But she let go.

So gracefully.
My tiny little girl simply let go of whatever it is that holds us to this earth.

She tried to carry on breathing, her heart tried to carry on pumping.
But she couldn't, her organs couldn't function for her.

She let go. She showed me what I have to do.

This song plays in my head at the moment.
I think it is more about the end of a love affair rather than a death.
But the words have hooked themselves into my brain.

'Such a painful trip,
To find out this is it,
And when I go to sleep,
You'll be waking up.

Four, three, two, one,
I'm letting you go.
I will let go,
If you will let go.'

I should let go. Georgina already has. A long time ago.

Her body failed her.
A body that I have thought about so much, loved so fiercely.
A body that is ash and has been ash for so much longer than it ever housed a living being for.

Her grip on us was so tenuous, so short-lived, so gentle.

But I'm still holding firmly on to her ghost, with white knuckles, trying to keep her here.
I don't think I'm helping any of us, not my husband, not Jessica, not myself, not Georgina. But I am at a loss. I am lost. Immobilized. Somewhere at the tail end of last summer. As it turned to autumn and I went back and forth to the hospital. I'm still stuck. Frozen in time and space.
Afraid to let go, afraid to keep clinging on.
I have to let go.
Of Georgina.
Of everything.
Sooner or later.

20 comments:

  1. All I want to say Catherine is, I don't think you have to let go.....
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid to let go. If I let go of Calvin then his life will have had such little meaning. I can't do it, even if the memories hollow me out until there is nothing left but pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's ok to let go and hold on alternately...whatever it takes to get by. Just know that we are all holding onto Georgina's memory too. It's ok for you to rest every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me think of my Grandma talking about her baby Dan, who should be an old great uncle of 67 now. She told me that I have to keep on keeping on, even if it's going through the motions, for the sake of the other children. After time it will get easier and will hurt less to remember our George. I have to trust her because I'm so not there yet, but I wanted to share that with you. We grew up, the granddaughters, all knowing and hearing about baby Dan - he only lived a couple of weeks before he died of pneumonia. I think we'll always think about and remember them, and love them fiercely because they are our babies, but day to day living will get easier. I sure hope so. I have to believe it for my own sanity and because my Grandma isn't one to lie. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so hard, Catherine. I struggle with it, too, afraid that if I let go of one memory or bit of guilt or sadness that I'll lose even more of my boy. I know I need to at least relax my grip, but I haven't figured out how yet.

    The song is haunting.

    Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm working on letting go, not of Henry, but simply (or not so simply) of the worry and guilt and regret and anxiety that swirls around my memories, clouding them, obscuring him. I'm not sure how successful I am, but that's what I'm trying to let go of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catherine,
    I know (I think) what you are feeling. Georgina is at peace, she let go of the shackles of an earthly life. It's so much more difficult for us to let go because we still live in the earthly world and we wait. We wait to see our babies again. We wait for the pain to ease. We hope for peace, but we don't want to let go of what little we had of our babies on earth. I too want to simply be content knowing I will see E again and that her spirit is free, without pain. But the yearning to hold her and smell her and have her with us in our house makes it so difficult to let her go.

    I believe you are strong. I believe you are working toward something emotionally remarkable. And I believe you will discover peace, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is so hard for us to let go because we are trying to hold on to every little piece of our babies that we can because that is ALL we have left. I don't know if I will ever let it all go. I need something to hold tightly so I know they were really here. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think you have to let go. I hope you find a way to walk forward with her.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. sending love Catherine....just love xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do any of us ever let go? We have so little to hold onto. I realised the other day I was smiling while remembering washing Florence's lifeless body. A memory that in a normal life would not raise a smile.
    I can't let go of anything, not a thing.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have adequate words, Catherine, but I'm sending big hugs and love to you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's OK for you to hold on my lovely. You hold on as only a Mother can - softly, with tenderness and the deepest love.

    Sending you lots of love

    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. 'A body that I have thought about so much, loved so fiercely.
    A body that is ash and has been ash for so much longer than it ever housed a living being for.'

    Oh Catherine. Heartbreaking. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. The way that I interpreted that Roald Dahl quote was a the end of his life, he had peace about letting go of his own life, because he had already seen one of his children do it. I'm not sure he let go of her in his lifetime - certainly his books contain a lot of images and ideas that make more sense to me now I know of his bereavement.

    Both my DH & I have talked about what it means to "let go" or "move on". I don't think I will ever let go of Emma - I can't but I'm hoping as I move further along on the journey that I'll let go of some of the pain that I feel around her birth and her death. I suppose I hope that at some point I'll be left with the essence of her within me. I don't know yet what that means for me practically.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This has me sobbing... Oh honey, you dont have to let go. We just have to live. Sometimes, I think, that might be worse.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Catherine, this is beautiful and painful and thought-provoking. I think you are quite a good writer. From talking with my husband, who lost his brother in 1995, and a close friend who lost her husband that same year, and a few babyloss mamas who are much farther down the road...I do think that time softens the memories, dulls the intense longing, and, to some extent anyway, removes the person who died from the circumstances of their death. I'm not sure if this kind of letting go is something you have to do consciously. But I think it takes quite a lot of time. And I also find that there's a gap between where I am emotionally and where I think I should be. Thinking of you and sending lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think there's a need to let go. I'm hoping I get to a point where I no longer prod the painful parts, relive the harrowing pieces. A place where all I hold is her and no pain.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gosh, this post is heartbreakin beautiful and brought me to tears...
    I think the most important part of the letting go is in the "ing"-part...it is ongoing, gradual, slow...
    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete